Topic Wiki

If you want to get a tag but don't own a car, you can still sign up online. This is what the rep told me to do. Falsify info on your cars plates, make and model (for the plate# write the first two letters of your family name with the last 4 digits of your cell number, year: current year, make\model: choose any), and once you have an account just log in and remove that car from your profile.

For those travelling the Lakewood - Brooklyn route often:

Sign up for a NY EZpass from either the NYSTA (Thruway) or MTA to avoid the $1 monthly fee. NJ/NY Port Authority charges the monthly fee.
The point of getting the NY and not NJ is to make some frequently travelled tolls cheaper.  The Verrazano bridge will be $6.55 instead of $10.17, the battery tunnel will be $5.33 instead of $7.50, the discounts you will lose out on for not having the NJ pass are very minimal (a couple of cents on the NJTP during peak hours)

Add the following discount plans:
Port Authority Staten Island Bridges Plan (PASI), which makes all PA bridges (Outerbridge,Bayonne,Goethals) $5.25,when crossing 3 or more times a month. There is nothing to lose as if you don't travel 3 times they simply adjust it to charge you the regular

You have to add carpool to your plan but if you end up going less than 3 times in the 30 day period you pay the full price for the toll (a little cheaper cause your using ezpass). I believe it takes 24 hours from when you call for it to activate and its per 30 day period not monthly.

EZP rate.
Port Authority Carpool Plan, $5 if you have 3+ people in the car.

NOTE: Sometimes signing up for the EZP with carpool on the plan you initially order, can cause a Port Authority EZ Pass to arrive (which has a monthly fee). It's therefore suggested to order a standard plan, wait until you receive your EZP (hopefully the MTA or NY Thruway  EZP versions) and then tack on the Port Authority Carpool Plan afterwards.   

Edit 5/19/2014: You can add PACP and PASI yourself on the website (in case the phone hours aren't convenient or you just plain don't like calling in general). Log in and choose "Plans" from the links on the left side of the page.

Another plus to having MTA issuing authority is that you can use PPT. Under this plan, you can keep a $0 balance in your EZ Pass account, and have tolls deducted from your bank account at the end of each day (by ACH). Downside is no miles for paying tolls, credit card is only a backup for when the ACH fails. (And if ACH fails even once you lose PPT plan and have to keep a debit balance in your account, so you can't have the miles & PPT :) )

Edit 12/28/2015: In order to ensure that you are enrolled by the MTA agency (see above), when you sign up, you should give an address in NYC (not just NYS). If you don't live there, ask a friend who lives there to receive the tags for you, and use his address. Afterwards, you may change the address to your home address in NJ (or wherever), and add whichever plans you want. This was suggested to me by EZ Pass, and it works.

To return an extra tag for NY MTA Authority:

Please return your tag(s) to:
P.O. Box 149001
Staten Island, NY 10314
along with a letter that states your Name, signature and E-ZPass account number.
For further assistance please contact (800) 333-8655 to speak with a Customer Service Representative.
« Last edited by qooldude on May 16, 2022, 04:34:23 PM »

Author Topic: EZPass Newbie  (Read 182620 times)

Offline Name Changed

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Avis Presidents Club, National Executive Elite, Hertz Presidents Circle, Sixt Platinum, SPG Gold, eBay Platinum
Re: EZPass Newbie
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2012, 10:46:15 PM »
Here - I get the $1 monthly fee

Offline JEWDA

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 75
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Dansdeals PRESIDENTIAL Platinum Elite, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, Avis Presidents Club, King Fisher Silver, Hertz #1 Club President Circle Gold, SIXT Platinum, PC Platinum Elite
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2012, 10:47:10 PM »
I am definitely not charged the fee. Just checked the last 3 months.

Maybe I got it before the $1 monthly fee was imposed and I got grandfathered into the old policy.
+1
Your Ad Can Be Here! PM For Lowest Rates.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2012, 10:50:04 PM »
From NY ezpass T&C
PANYNJ monthly Account service fee   $1.00

Thanks, I, too, read the T&C.

I still don't get charged.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Online bubkiz

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2012, 10:56:16 PM »
If  I remember correctly, tags issued by the MTA or Thruway Authority are not charged the $1 fee.

Offline Saver2000

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2012, 10:59:30 PM »
Then if I dont carpool and I dont use the verazano then there is no real point for me to get an ezpass right? Besides not having to stop at the booth...

Well there are other benefits,  but not directly related.

Here's one example, a lot of times - at night - the "cash/receipts" lane is closed.

So if you have no money and no ezpass in the car you are stuck.
What I do is I run the ezpass and then when I get the bill I get the fine waived bec I have an ezpass account .
If you don't have an ezpass and/or you run the "exact Change" lane, its not so easy to get the fine waived.

Offline Saver2000

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2012, 11:03:51 PM »
If  I remember correctly, tags issued by the MTA or Thruway Authority are not charged the $1 fee.

That could be it. Mine is issued by the NJ/NY Port authority. 

@Name changed
Where's yours' from?

Offline BAHayman

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2012, 11:05:36 PM »
That could be it. Mine is issued by the NJ/NY Port authority. 

@Name changed
Where's yours' from?
I've got no fees as well. How do I check who it is issued by?

Offline JEWDA

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 75
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Dansdeals PRESIDENTIAL Platinum Elite, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, Avis Presidents Club, King Fisher Silver, Hertz #1 Club President Circle Gold, SIXT Platinum, PC Platinum Elite
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2012, 11:10:20 PM »
I dont get charged and I ordered it online.
Your Ad Can Be Here! PM For Lowest Rates.

Online bubkiz

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2012, 11:10:58 PM »
I've got no fees as well. How do I check who it is issued by?
Is's right on the tag. Mine is issued by the Thruway Authority w/o a fee. The Port Authority charges (and jacks up the tolls).

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Re: Re: EZPass Newbie
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2012, 12:03:37 AM »
Then if I dont carpool and I dont use the verazano then there is no real point for me to get an ezpass right? Besides not having to stop at the booth...
And wait in line for a half hour and cause backup to the Ezpass people as well?
and yes I do hate people without ezpass
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline KidOOO

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2012, 12:09:20 AM »
I know for fact that the NY one can give you a discount on Verrazano (maybe not al hours) and NJ does not,
NJ one gives discount on Gothols and Outerbridge (some hours) and NY does not
NJ Also has discount on Lincoln and Holland some hours

Offline whYME

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2012, 01:30:30 AM »
FYI You can get multiple EZpasses from the different agencies to take advantage of the various discounts. (If you want to deal with the headache of remembering to use the right one for the right toll...)

If/when you run through the ezpass, many times they will just look up the plate number and bill the account that is linked to that plate instead of mailing you a fine.

When you have a rental car they cant do that. 
I once (temporarily) added my rental car to my ezpass acct (I didnt have my transponder with me) but the toll(s) I went through got charged to the rental company's ezpass acct, not mine...

Another difference is, if you have get a ticket for running an EZpass in NJ, If you have Nj EZpass you can call an automated system and they will just deduct the toll amount from your EZpass account and waive the fine. If you have NY EZpass and get the ticket in NJ, they cant just take out the money.
That shouldn't be a problem, it just usually takes a bit more effort on your part. Just provide them with your NY acct info (If they send you a letter/bill in the mail they probably tell you how to deal with this situation on that letter somewhere)

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2012, 01:36:14 AM »
I think there's a Wikipedia page comparing all the fees, it may be outdated though.

Here are two charts I found:

http://www.jd4x4.net/EZPass/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-ZPass#Fees_by_state

FYI You can get multiple EZpasses from the different agencies to take advantage of the various discounts. (If you want to deal with the headache of remembering to use the right one for the right toll...)

Can't you get charged twice if both transponders are in the car?
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline Yossi.

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2012, 01:41:41 AM »
Here are two charts I found:

http://www.jd4x4.net/EZPass/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-ZPass#Fees_by_state
What d be great is to have a chart telling us how much each bridge/tunel/toll cost in NY/NJ (or at least the main ones...) if the NJ, NY or no ezpass is used. So that everyone could compare and see which option works the best discount... Just dreaming outloud ;)

Offline whYME

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2012, 01:47:24 AM »
Can't you get charged twice if both transponders are in the car?
I imagine so. That's the headache I was talking about, making sure to have the correct transponder out of the shielded bag(s) for each toll...

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2012, 01:50:32 AM »
What d be great is to have a chart telling us how much each bridge/tunel/toll cost in NY/NJ (or at least the main ones...) if the NJ, NY or no ezpass is used. So that everyone could compare and see which option works the best discount... Just dreaming outloud ;)

Feel free to compile one :P

I imagine so. That's the headache I was talking about, making sure to have the correct transponder out of the shielded bag(s) for each toll...

Ah. I didn't realize there were shielded bags etc.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline Saver2000

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2012, 01:54:17 AM »
I once (temporarily) added my rental car to my ezpass acct (I didnt have my transponder with me) but the toll(s) I went through got charged to the rental company's ezpass acct, not mine...
I've done that as well and it worked. In your case the plate was already linked to an ezpass account so it automatically billed that one.
That shouldn't be a problem, it just usually takes a bit more effort on your part. Just provide them with your NY acct info (If they send you a letter/bill in the mail they probably tell you how to deal with this situation on that letter somewhere)

I agree. It definitely  can be done but not at all convenient. If its the same state, all it takes is one 3 minute phone call to an automated system.

Offline gogandmagog

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
NY ezpass vs NJ ezpass. Which one is better?
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2012, 01:13:06 PM »
I have a NJ ezpass and my wife has a NY ezpass...is there a difference in rates or discounts such as off peak travel times or carpool specials etc. depending on which one is used?

I did see on some discussion boards that NJ has an automatic 1 or 2 dollar charge per month  while NY does not and that certain specials like carpool on the Verrazano (i didn't know you could do that) wont work on NJ ezpass and off peak on the  NJturn pike wont work with NY ezpass. Others claimed its all the same

Anyone know anything......

Offline SGF

• View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz President Circle
Re: NY ezpass vs NJ ezpass. Which one is better?
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2012, 01:16:16 PM »
this thread is only 3 days old and already a new one?

Offline Deal Guy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2012, 02:33:47 AM »
So if mine is issued in New york by the Port Authority with the $1 monthly surcharge, is there the consensus that I should get the NY Thruway one that doesn't have the fee, and completely trash the Port Authority one?