Topic Wiki

If you want to get a tag but don't own a car, you can still sign up online. This is what the rep told me to do. Falsify info on your cars plates, make and model (for the plate# write the first two letters of your family name with the last 4 digits of your cell number, year: current year, make\model: choose any), and once you have an account just log in and remove that car from your profile.

For those travelling the Lakewood - Brooklyn route often:

Sign up for a NY EZpass from either the NYSTA (Thruway) or MTA to avoid the $1 monthly fee. NJ/NY Port Authority charges the monthly fee.
The point of getting the NY and not NJ is to make some frequently travelled tolls cheaper.  The Verrazano bridge will be $6.55 instead of $10.17, the battery tunnel will be $5.33 instead of $7.50, the discounts you will lose out on for not having the NJ pass are very minimal (a couple of cents on the NJTP during peak hours)

Add the following discount plans:
Port Authority Staten Island Bridges Plan (PASI), which makes all PA bridges (Outerbridge,Bayonne,Goethals) $5.25,when crossing 3 or more times a month. There is nothing to lose as if you don't travel 3 times they simply adjust it to charge you the regular

You have to add carpool to your plan but if you end up going less than 3 times in the 30 day period you pay the full price for the toll (a little cheaper cause your using ezpass). I believe it takes 24 hours from when you call for it to activate and its per 30 day period not monthly.

EZP rate.
Port Authority Carpool Plan, $5 if you have 3+ people in the car.

NOTE: Sometimes signing up for the EZP with carpool on the plan you initially order, can cause a Port Authority EZ Pass to arrive (which has a monthly fee). It's therefore suggested to order a standard plan, wait until you receive your EZP (hopefully the MTA or NY Thruway  EZP versions) and then tack on the Port Authority Carpool Plan afterwards.   

Edit 5/19/2014: You can add PACP and PASI yourself on the website (in case the phone hours aren't convenient or you just plain don't like calling in general). Log in and choose "Plans" from the links on the left side of the page.

Another plus to having MTA issuing authority is that you can use PPT. Under this plan, you can keep a $0 balance in your EZ Pass account, and have tolls deducted from your bank account at the end of each day (by ACH). Downside is no miles for paying tolls, credit card is only a backup for when the ACH fails. (And if ACH fails even once you lose PPT plan and have to keep a debit balance in your account, so you can't have the miles & PPT :) )

Edit 12/28/2015: In order to ensure that you are enrolled by the MTA agency (see above), when you sign up, you should give an address in NYC (not just NYS). If you don't live there, ask a friend who lives there to receive the tags for you, and use his address. Afterwards, you may change the address to your home address in NJ (or wherever), and add whichever plans you want. This was suggested to me by EZ Pass, and it works.

To return an extra tag for NY MTA Authority:

Please return your tag(s) to:
P.O. Box 149001
Staten Island, NY 10314
along with a letter that states your Name, signature and E-ZPass account number.
For further assistance please contact (800) 333-8655 to speak with a Customer Service Representative.
« Last edited by qooldude on May 16, 2022, 04:34:23 PM »

Author Topic: EZPass Newbie  (Read 182580 times)

Offline Mocha

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Re: EZPass Newbie
« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2012, 06:55:43 AM »
Then if I dont carpool and I dont use the verazano then there is no real point for me to get an ezpass right? Besides not having to stop at the booth...
Incorrect. E-Z Pass discounts regular tolls by up to several dollars each time you pass through. For example the Queens Midtown tunnel is $6.50 when paying cash but only $4.80 on E-Z Pass.

Offline schneury

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2012, 05:32:24 PM »
can i get an EZ Pass without owning a vehicle, so i can use it for car rentals, or do i need to register it to a car?
if it needs to be registered to a car can i have it registered to a friends car and use it on the car i will rent?

Offline Yitz

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2012, 05:44:05 PM »
can i get an EZ Pass without owning a vehicle, so i can use it for car rentals, or do i need to register it to a car?
if it needs to be registered to a car can i have it registered to a friends car and use it on the car i will rent?
It will not work. It must be used with the car that you applied for the EZ Pass.

Offline Yossi.

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2012, 05:45:09 PM »
Wow i just check my account... Crazy discount on the verazano: $9.60 instead of $13! I m starting to regret not getting that ezpass earlier!

Offline Saver2000

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2012, 05:55:56 PM »
It will not work. It must be used with the car that you applied for the EZ Pass.

Totally incorrect. It can be used in any vehicle .

Offline Yitz

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 22, 2012, 05:57:45 PM »
Wow i just check my account... Crazy discount on the verazano: $9.60 instead of $13! I m starting to regret not getting that ezpass earlier!
Order car pool as you only pay $2.00 when crossing from New York to NJ and you have 3 people, when you use the cash lane

Offline Yitz

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 22, 2012, 05:58:38 PM »
Couple years ago I got a ticket in the mail, unless something has changed

Offline Saver2000

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 22, 2012, 06:08:25 PM »
Order car pool as you only pay $2.00 when crossing from New York to NJ and you have 3 people, when you use the cash lane

Carpool rates also apply when paying the outerbridge.

If for some reason the scanner didn't detect the tag, they will run the plate and either one of two things will happen - depending if its a rental car or not
A) lookup that plate number and bill the account that has that playe on file
B) if the plate isn't on file (rental car), they will mail a bill.

Option B can happen even if the plate is on file.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 22, 2012, 06:20:57 PM »
+1
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline Yossi.

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 22, 2012, 06:27:21 PM »

yeah i already did that when applying for it. anyway it is free to add the option. but which bridge/tunnel is $2 from NY to NJ while carpooling?

and also based on the T&C from the website and as stated in my OP :

The Port Authority Carpool toll rate is $3.50 and available to all E-ZPass customers who subscribe to the Carpool Plan. The plan requires that there are three or more people in a vehicle with non-commercial plates. Customers must use a staffed "Cash/E-ZPass" lane and come to a complete stop so that the Toll Collector can verify the number of occupants in the vehicle. Plan Code: (PACP)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 06:30:26 PM by Yossi. »

Offline SGF

• View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz President Circle
« Reply #50 on: May 22, 2012, 07:14:25 PM »
go slow and make sure it says on the screen that it was detected.

Offline Yitz

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 22, 2012, 10:22:38 PM »
yeah i already did that when applying for it. anyway it is free to add the option. but which bridge/tunnel is $2 from NY to NJ while carpooling?

and also based on the T&C from the website and as stated in my OP :

Every bridge that goe from New York to NJ. Like Lincoln, Holland GW Bridge, and more

Offline Yossi.

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 22, 2012, 10:33:19 PM »
Every bridge that goe from New York to NJ. Like Lincoln, Holland GW Bridge, and more

Based on the MTA Toll Calculator I dont see any $2 per crossing on those bridges/tunnels from ny to nj... More like $4.80 instead of $6.50. Is carpooling cutting that by 60%??

Offline Yitz

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 22, 2012, 10:34:47 PM »
Based on the MTA Toll Calculator I dont see any $2 per crossing on those bridges/tunnels from ny to nj... More like $4.80 instead of $6.50
If you have car pool it is $2.00

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #54 on: May 23, 2012, 02:07:32 AM »
If you have car pool it is $2.00

No, it isn't. It is $3.50.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Yitz

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 23, 2012, 08:00:41 AM »
No, it isn't. It is $3.50.
This must be a new change or have not checked my statement

Offline boruch

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 23, 2012, 08:45:52 AM »
new change

changed Sep last year.

OT: I have my EZpass linked to my Chase SP for double points (travel).
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 08:50:24 AM by boruch »

Offline TC610

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 23, 2012, 09:29:12 AM »

This happened to a friend of mine two years ago when he was using his car (registered in OH) with his girlfriend's NY EZPass in his car.

You have the option to 'register' vehicles for the EZPass you have.  For example, if you have car #1 and car #2 registered to an EZPass and car #1 doesn't get read properly as you go through the toll, you may get a ticket in the mail.  If you do, you can get the ticket dropped with no fine.   Now if you put your EZPass in car #3 which is unregistered and it doesn't get read as you go through the toll, you will get a ticket and may have no recourse.

This is not my experience, just a friend's.  Did he have other options?  Could he have appealed it?  Maybe.  But the fact that his car wasn't registered to his girlfriend's EZPass may have prevented him from being able to get the ticket dropped.  (I'm applying this example to private vehicles, not rentals).

Offline regalhome

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 23, 2012, 01:33:01 PM »
Based on the MTA Toll Calculator I dont see any $2 per crossing on those bridges/tunnels from ny to nj... More like $4.80 instead of $6.50. Is carpooling cutting that by 60%??
MTA, does interboro crossings. You cant even pay with EZ pass at cash lane. The discounts are only with the Port Authirty cossings which go in and out of NYC.

Offline Deal Guy

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 04, 2012, 12:17:59 AM »
So if mine is issued in New york by the Port Authority with the $1 monthly surcharge, is there the consensus that I should get the NY Thruway one that doesn't have the fee, and completely trash the Port Authority one?
Anyone? Do you lose anything by getting the Thruway one?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 12:26:38 AM by Deal Guy »