Topic Wiki

If you want to get a tag but don't own a car, you can still sign up online. This is what the rep told me to do. Falsify info on your cars plates, make and model (for the plate# write the first two letters of your family name with the last 4 digits of your cell number, year: current year, make\model: choose any), and once you have an account just log in and remove that car from your profile.

For those travelling the Lakewood - Brooklyn route often:

Sign up for a NY EZpass from either the NYSTA (Thruway) or MTA to avoid the $1 monthly fee. NJ/NY Port Authority charges the monthly fee.
The point of getting the NY and not NJ is to make some frequently travelled tolls cheaper.  The Verrazano bridge will be $6.55 instead of $10.17, the battery tunnel will be $5.33 instead of $7.50, the discounts you will lose out on for not having the NJ pass are very minimal (a couple of cents on the NJTP during peak hours)

Add the following discount plans:
Port Authority Staten Island Bridges Plan (PASI), which makes all PA bridges (Outerbridge,Bayonne,Goethals) $5.25,when crossing 3 or more times a month. There is nothing to lose as if you don't travel 3 times they simply adjust it to charge you the regular

You have to add carpool to your plan but if you end up going less than 3 times in the 30 day period you pay the full price for the toll (a little cheaper cause your using ezpass). I believe it takes 24 hours from when you call for it to activate and its per 30 day period not monthly.

EZP rate.
Port Authority Carpool Plan, $5 if you have 3+ people in the car.

NOTE: Sometimes signing up for the EZP with carpool on the plan you initially order, can cause a Port Authority EZ Pass to arrive (which has a monthly fee). It's therefore suggested to order a standard plan, wait until you receive your EZP (hopefully the MTA or NY Thruway  EZP versions) and then tack on the Port Authority Carpool Plan afterwards.   

Edit 5/19/2014: You can add PACP and PASI yourself on the website (in case the phone hours aren't convenient or you just plain don't like calling in general). Log in and choose "Plans" from the links on the left side of the page.

Another plus to having MTA issuing authority is that you can use PPT. Under this plan, you can keep a $0 balance in your EZ Pass account, and have tolls deducted from your bank account at the end of each day (by ACH). Downside is no miles for paying tolls, credit card is only a backup for when the ACH fails. (And if ACH fails even once you lose PPT plan and have to keep a debit balance in your account, so you can't have the miles & PPT :) )

Edit 12/28/2015: In order to ensure that you are enrolled by the MTA agency (see above), when you sign up, you should give an address in NYC (not just NYS). If you don't live there, ask a friend who lives there to receive the tags for you, and use his address. Afterwards, you may change the address to your home address in NJ (or wherever), and add whichever plans you want. This was suggested to me by EZ Pass, and it works.

To return an extra tag for NY MTA Authority:

Please return your tag(s) to:
P.O. Box 149001
Staten Island, NY 10314
along with a letter that states your Name, signature and E-ZPass account number.
For further assistance please contact (800) 333-8655 to speak with a Customer Service Representative.
« Last edited by qooldude on May 16, 2022, 04:34:23 PM »

Author Topic: EZPass Newbie  (Read 182612 times)

Offline Sam Finkelstein

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: EZPass Newbie
« Reply #460 on: July 11, 2021, 07:10:16 PM »
Where can I purchase one of these? Ie. where are the select locations?

Open an account using the address of a friend in NYC. Once the tag shows up at his house you’re free to switch to your real address.
Formula for success: rise early, work hard, strike oil. –J. Paul Getty

Offline majeec

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: July 11, 2021, 11:08:17 PM »
Open an account using the address of a friend in NYC. Once the tag shows up at his house you’re free to switch to your real address.

But if I purchase it through the website, will I not be charged the $1 monthly service fee in NYC?

Offline Sam Finkelstein

• View Profile
« Reply #462 on: July 11, 2021, 11:38:42 PM »
But if I purchase it through the website, will I not be charged the $1 monthly service fee in NYC?

Check the wiki. I opened up a regular EZ Pass with a Manhattan mailing address and got an MTA pass in the mail.
Formula for success: rise early, work hard, strike oil. –J. Paul Getty

Online myi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 356
    • View Profile
  • Programs: 2Many2List!
« Reply #463 on: July 28, 2021, 07:19:28 PM »
I Rented a car while I forgot to bring my Ezpass tag along with me.
  Though what I would usually do is create Another car on my account with that plate info that way should I go through the tool booth without my tag it will automatically bill that license plate.

The problem here is when trying to add that plate number to my account it shows its already associated with someone else's account.

The ###### plate number is already associated with another account.
For help call the Customer Service Center at 1-800-333-TOLL(8655

It seems my only option at this point is to get hold of a tag?

Does it make sense that the car rental company adds all their vehicles to an Ez pass account?
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Online Yehudaa

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 111
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: July 28, 2021, 07:21:44 PM »
Does it make sense that the car rental company adds all their vehicles to an Ez pass account?
This is what I assumed when I encountered the same.

Online myi

• View Profile
« Reply #465 on: July 28, 2021, 07:26:09 PM »
This is what I assumed when I encountered the same.
well it would make sense, and then they have a system generated or someone manually going through the EZ pass to see who rented it and what time period and Bill them plus surcharge.

I wonder if there's a way to call up EZ pass and have them remove certain toll charges and put it on my pass versus..?
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline Jeremiah

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: July 29, 2021, 12:40:00 AM »

Or someone who rented before you did that to his account

Offline Der Deutsche Jude

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA, CA, FAA, GA, NA, OA, WA
« Reply #467 on: July 29, 2021, 12:53:52 AM »
I Rented a car while I forgot to bring my Ezpass tag along with me.
  Though what I would usually do is create Another car on my account with that plate info that way should I go through the tool booth without my tag it will automatically bill that license plate.

The problem here is when trying to add that plate number to my account it shows its already associated with someone else's account.

The ###### plate number is already associated with another account.
For help call the Customer Service Center at 1-800-333-TOLL(8655

It seems my only option at this point is to get hold of a tag?

You can call them up and have them add the rental car to your pass. Done this before. And make sure to remove afterwards.

Online myi

• View Profile
« Reply #468 on: July 29, 2021, 01:30:52 AM »
Or someone who rented before you did that to his account
I thought about that but then again.. all it takes is for one guy to call EZ pass and show them that I ended the rental on this in this date I accidentally forgot to remove my EZ pass from my account.

I'm basically banging my buck In hoping this guy doesn't realize.

Online myi

• View Profile
« Reply #469 on: July 29, 2021, 01:31:08 AM »
You can call them up and have them add the rental car to your pass. Done this before. And make sure to remove afterwards.
even though it's connected to someone else's account?

• View Profile
« Reply #470 on: July 29, 2021, 08:34:58 AM »
even though it's connected to someone else's account?
Yes. I don’t see why that should be a problem. They are aware of the ability to sell and rent cars and also why would that person even want it to still be attached to his account?

Offline smaxber

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: August 01, 2021, 06:50:41 AM »
Followed wiki and had ezpass sent to NYC address. Still getting $1 service fee charged. Any way to reverse this? Should I ask for another one to be sent and try again?

Online myi

• View Profile
« Reply #472 on: August 01, 2021, 09:24:21 AM »
Followed wiki and had ezpass sent to NYC address. Still getting $1 service fee charged. Any way to reverse this? Should I ask for another one to be sent and try again?
Does your E-ZPass Say Port Authority Issued E-ZPass? Or bridges and tunnels?

Online myi

• View Profile
« Reply #473 on: August 01, 2021, 09:28:14 AM »
Chances are you didn't follow this from the wiki..

NOTE: Sometimes signing up for the EZP with carpool on the plan you initially order, can cause a Port Authority EZ Pass to arrive (which has a monthly fee). It's therefore suggested to order a standard plan, wait until you receive your EZP (hopefully the MTA or NY Thruway  EZP versions) and then tack on the Port Authority Carpool Plan afterwards.

Offline smaxber

• View Profile
« Reply #474 on: August 01, 2021, 11:38:30 AM »
Chances are you didn't follow this from the wiki..

Didn’t add carpool but added the PASI plan. Says port authority.
Should I bother ordering another?

Online myi

• View Profile
« Reply #475 on: August 01, 2021, 11:47:02 AM »
Didn’t add carpool but added the PASI plan. Says port authority.
Should I bother ordering another?
Brother of mine did the same thing. (Same mistake)
 He had to ship back his port authority passes back to E-ZPass with either the form you can find online, which you sign your name, put your return address and your account number, or you can take a random piece of paper and write that basic information, stick it with the EZ pass tags and send it back to E-ZPass and tell them you want to close your account.(on the paper or form mention that you're wanting to close your account.)

Once that's done open a new account and order new tags.
And don't make that same mistake wait for the tags to come after they ship or once the tags come add the plans to your account.

I'm not quite sure why they would give you the Port authority plan, don't know what the benefits are to why they would be charging you a dollar every month.
 I asked that to an  ezpass representative she had no clue.

Offline smaxber

• View Profile
« Reply #476 on: August 01, 2021, 01:15:52 PM »
Brother of mine did the same thing. (Same mistake)
 He had to ship back his port authority passes back to E-ZPass with either the form you can find online, which you sign your name, put your return address and your account number, or you can take a random piece of paper and write that basic information, stick it with the EZ pass tags and send it back to E-ZPass and tell them you want to close your account.(on the paper or form mention that you're wanting to close your account.)

Once that's done open a new account and order new tags.
And don't make that same mistake wait for the tags to come after they ship or once the tags come add the plans to your account.

I'm not quite sure why they would give you the Port authority plan, don't know what the benefits are to why they would be charging you a dollar every month.
 I asked that to an  ezpass representative she had no clue.
Can’t I say I need new tag for “ second vehicle” and then cancel first?
I drive daily using ezpass
« Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 01:20:32 PM by smaxber »

• View Profile
« Reply #477 on: August 01, 2021, 02:08:49 PM »
Can’t I say I need new tag for “ second vehicle” and then cancel first?
I drive daily using ezpass
You can make a new ezpass account, wait for new one to arrive, and then close your first ezpass account. I've done that without issue. You may want to make up a fake license plate number when applying for second account and change it after closing the first account.

Offline smaxber

• View Profile
« Reply #478 on: August 02, 2021, 10:46:44 AM »
You can make a new ezpass account, wait for new one to arrive, and then close your first ezpass account. I've done that without issue. You may want to make up a fake license plate number when applying for second account and change it after closing the first account.

Can I walk into AAA and buy one and attach to current account? Then send first one back?

Offline st1575

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: August 02, 2021, 11:38:10 AM »
Can I walk into AAA and buy one and attach to current account? Then send first one back?

Probably not.

The problem you face is that your account is with the Port Authority, so you will likely only be able to add PANYNJ-issued tags. The tags sold at AAA are either MTA or Thruway ones, which despite being serviced by the same Service Center, so they likely require different accounts. The AAA+new account route is likely the easiest way to assure a NY-issued tag.

The Port Authority charges that stupid $1 monthly fee because they can. The New York agencies are barred by state law from charging this fee, but the Port Authority requires that New Jersey pass a similar law for it to apply to them. And, since NJ started this nonsense long ago and charges its own monthly fee, there is no way that will happen.