Topic Wiki

If you want to get a tag but don't own a car, you can still sign up online. This is what the rep told me to do. Falsify info on your cars plates, make and model (for the plate# write the first two letters of your family name with the last 4 digits of your cell number, year: current year, make\model: choose any), and once you have an account just log in and remove that car from your profile.

For those travelling the Lakewood - Brooklyn route often:

Sign up for a NY EZpass from either the NYSTA (Thruway) or MTA to avoid the $1 monthly fee. NJ/NY Port Authority charges the monthly fee.
The point of getting the NY and not NJ is to make some frequently travelled tolls cheaper.  The Verrazano bridge will be $6.55 instead of $10.17, the battery tunnel will be $5.33 instead of $7.50, the discounts you will lose out on for not having the NJ pass are very minimal (a couple of cents on the NJTP during peak hours)

Add the following discount plans:
Port Authority Staten Island Bridges Plan (PASI), which makes all PA bridges (Outerbridge,Bayonne,Goethals) $5.25,when crossing 3 or more times a month. There is nothing to lose as if you don't travel 3 times they simply adjust it to charge you the regular

You have to add carpool to your plan but if you end up going less than 3 times in the 30 day period you pay the full price for the toll (a little cheaper cause your using ezpass). I believe it takes 24 hours from when you call for it to activate and its per 30 day period not monthly.

EZP rate.
Port Authority Carpool Plan, $5 if you have 3+ people in the car.

NOTE: Sometimes signing up for the EZP with carpool on the plan you initially order, can cause a Port Authority EZ Pass to arrive (which has a monthly fee). It's therefore suggested to order a standard plan, wait until you receive your EZP (hopefully the MTA or NY Thruway  EZP versions) and then tack on the Port Authority Carpool Plan afterwards.   

Edit 5/19/2014: You can add PACP and PASI yourself on the website (in case the phone hours aren't convenient or you just plain don't like calling in general). Log in and choose "Plans" from the links on the left side of the page.

Another plus to having MTA issuing authority is that you can use PPT. Under this plan, you can keep a $0 balance in your EZ Pass account, and have tolls deducted from your bank account at the end of each day (by ACH). Downside is no miles for paying tolls, credit card is only a backup for when the ACH fails. (And if ACH fails even once you lose PPT plan and have to keep a debit balance in your account, so you can't have the miles & PPT :) )

Edit 12/28/2015: In order to ensure that you are enrolled by the MTA agency (see above), when you sign up, you should give an address in NYC (not just NYS). If you don't live there, ask a friend who lives there to receive the tags for you, and use his address. Afterwards, you may change the address to your home address in NJ (or wherever), and add whichever plans you want. This was suggested to me by EZ Pass, and it works.

To return an extra tag for NY MTA Authority:

Please return your tag(s) to:
P.O. Box 149001
Staten Island, NY 10314
along with a letter that states your Name, signature and E-ZPass account number.
For further assistance please contact (800) 333-8655 to speak with a Customer Service Representative.
« Last edited by qooldude on May 16, 2022, 04:34:23 PM »

Author Topic: EZPass Newbie  (Read 182613 times)

Offline hocker

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Re: EZPass Newbie
« Reply #100 on: May 20, 2013, 01:26:17 PM »
Like I wrote earlier I do take the Verrazano on the way there...
Now how do I get on the Staten Island Resident Program  ;D
The way into the Brooklyn the Verrazano is FREE!

If you know anyone in Yeshiva in Staten Island you might be able to pull it off, but you didn't hear that from me ;)

Offline birne

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 20, 2013, 01:31:52 PM »
AFAIK your plates have to be registered in SI
WHY NOT?!?!

Offline askmoses

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 20, 2013, 01:37:42 PM »

Yes I am aware of this. But I need the outerbridge prior to that. I live in NY. I travel to NJ several times a month. All this I wrote earlier and requoted. I need to know the cheapest for Verazzano into NJ and Outerbridge back.

Offline lfas25

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 20, 2013, 02:16:42 PM »

If you know anyone in Yeshiva in Staten Island you might be able to pull it off, but you didn't hear that from me ;)

I think you need a car registered in SI in order to be able to get it
I only paid 15% by switching to dansdeals

Offline askmoses

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 04, 2013, 03:04:23 PM »
So limaskana, which is the best EZ Pass to go for? Thruway Authority??? Again need to take Verazzano INTO NJ and OUterbridge the way back...

Also I need to do get the EZPass even though I don't have a car. There is another thread that seems to say that you can do this without a car. Anyone done this recently from Thruway Authority.
Here is that thread
http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=2683.msg26562#msg26562

Offline birne

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: June 04, 2013, 05:31:54 PM »
So limaskana, which is the best EZ Pass to go for? Thruway Authority??? Again need to take Verazzano INTO NJ and OUterbridge the way back...
i learnt in linden for the past couple of years , and what he rabbi's do is by a month pass for the outerbridge, but i dont think there is  a cheaper way for the verazzano bridge other then ezpass which takes off a couple dollars
WHY NOT?!?!

Offline hocker

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 04, 2013, 08:30:21 PM »

Also I need to do get the EZPass even though I don't have a car. There is another thread that seems to say that you can do this without a car. Anyone done this recently from Thruway Authority.
Here is that thread
I signed up without a car, just gave them a fake license plate # and they sent me tags.

Offline Saver2000

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 04, 2013, 11:40:31 PM »
You asked that awhile ago, and you got solid answers explaining all your options.
What more are you looking for?

Offline askmoses

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 05, 2013, 12:41:43 PM »
You asked that awhile ago, and you got solid answers explaining all your options.
Feel free to go back and read the thread. I never got a definitive answer. That is why I finished off with a question and never received the answer so after waiting a bit, I reposted it short. Not sure what the problem with that is... Kindly explain.

Offline meshugener

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
« Reply #109 on: June 05, 2013, 12:51:35 PM »
Feel free to go back and read the thread. I never got a definitive answer. That is why I finished off with a question and never received the answer so after waiting a bit, I reposted it short. Not sure what the problem with that is... Kindly explain.
The truth is, its not optional, you get what they send you.
The send you based on your resident address.
Love me or hate me. I still love you.

Offline askmoses

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 05, 2013, 01:48:51 PM »
The truth is, its not optional, you get what they send you.
The send you based on your resident address.
Hmmmm... So if I want Thruway I have to have an appropriate address... Crown Heights area in Brooklyn would get you which pass?

Offline meshugener

• View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
« Reply #111 on: June 05, 2013, 01:52:11 PM »
MTA

Offline askmoses

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 05, 2013, 02:47:21 PM »
MTA
But they will charge the 1 dollar a month fee (altho Verrazano and carpool discounts are a big plus), the question is then how to obtain a Thruway Ezpass?

Offline meshugener

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 05, 2013, 03:43:31 PM »
But they will charge the 1 dollar a month fee (altho Verrazano and carpool discounts are a big plus), the question is then how to obtain a Thruway Ezpass?
You didn't read this thread.

Offline askmoses

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 05, 2013, 05:05:20 PM »
You didn't read this thread.
That is simply not true. I am unsure how you were able to ascertain that being that if YOU read the thread you will see from my previous comments I have read through it. It simply appeared to me that people were saying both that certain Ez passes will have a charge and some won't and I'm confused as to which do and which do not. As you can see here...
So if mine is issued in New york by the Port Authority with the $1 monthly surcharge, is there the consensus that I should get the NY Thruway one that doesn't have the fee, and completely trash the Port Authority one?
As you can see I did read the thread, so please don't jump to conclusions.
Truthfully I'm not trying to be repetitive and after all said and done I'm left with questions just the same. I only lived in NY the last couple of years and only recently have been doing the drive (Verrazano the way there, GSP within NJ, and Outerbridge the way back. I am just trying to make sense of all the jargon and sort out which EZ Pass would be best for me.
For those travelling Brookly to Lakewood often, it seems the best option is NJTBA or NYSTA, both don't charge a monthly fee. The benefit of NY EZ-Pass accounts is that they charge $10.66 instead of $15 on the Verrazano. The NJ EZ-Pass on the other hand has a small discount on the GSP and NJ turnpike but the $4.33 on the Verrazano outweighs that benefit.

So no need to be upset...

In short I'm looking for that solid answer because I don't think I have it yet. If you can be so kind as to provide a link to my best option (I checked the NY Thruway site and all the different plans are confusing me a bit), so I can get it right the first time that would be greatly appreciated. I can obtain an EZ Pass from either NJ (I have relatives there) or NY. I don't have any SI connections unfortunately so that option is off the table.
Hope I somewhat clarified what I need. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Offline meshugener

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 05, 2013, 06:06:25 PM »
That is simply not true. I am unsure how you were able to ascertain that being that if YOU read the thread you will see from my previous comments I have read through it. It simply appeared to me that people were saying both that certain Ez passes will have a charge and some won't and I'm confused as to which do and which do not. As you can see here... As you can see I did read the thread, so please don't jump to conclusions.

Sorry, I hate to act like a meshugener, but this time...
I told you there's no monthly fee on the MTA tag, something mentioned and confirmed plenty of times in this thread.
So to prove me that this is not correct, you quote from Deal Guy who has the PA tag.
What do want?
I guess just to prove how confused you are.
Take a cold shower and start reading this thread from scratch.
Good night.

Offline askmoses

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 05, 2013, 07:02:11 PM »
Sorry, I hate to act like a meshugener, but this time...
I told you there's no monthly fee on the MTA tag, something mentioned and confirmed plenty of times in this thread.
So to prove me that this is not correct, you quote from Deal Guy who has the PA tag.
What do want?
I guess just to prove how confused you are.
Take a cold shower and start reading this thread from scratch.
Good night.
Again, I already explained I was confused. Wasn't even sure the diff. between PA and MTA. Learning all that now... no need to act like a meshugener  ;D

Asking for clarity, and now I'm have it. I'll spell it loud and clear for you all... MTA EZPASS IS BEST FOR A NEW YORKER GOING TO NJ AND BACK!!!!!! NO MONTHLY FEE!!! Thanks for all the help!! (Now that wasn't so difficult, no need to to get your heart rate up...)
So now how to locate which plan at this link??
https://www.e-zpassny.com/en/about/plans.shtml
I know I should add in the (PACP) plan and I'm assuming to do that in addition to the basic plan?

Offline meshugener

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 05, 2013, 10:27:14 PM »
Again, I already explained I was confused. Wasn't even sure the diff. between PA and MTA. Learning all that now... no need to act like a meshugener  ;D

Asking for clarity, and now I'm have it. I'll spell it loud and clear for you all... MTA EZPASS IS BEST FOR A NEW YORKER GOING TO NJ AND BACK!!!!!! NO MONTHLY FEE!!! Thanks for all the help!! (Now that wasn't so difficult, no need to to get your heart rate up...)
So now how to locate which plan at this link??
https://www.e-zpassny.com/en/about/plans.shtml
I know I should add in the (PACP) plan and I'm assuming to do that in addition to the basic plan?
It depends how frequent you use it.
You gotta read each plan and see for yourself what fits best for you.

But someone mentioned above in this thread, not to apply with the carpool plan as this will trigger a PA tag, rather apply for the standard plan, then call up to add carpool.

Offline askmoses

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 06, 2013, 12:24:02 AM »
It depends how frequent you use it.
You gotta read each plan and see for yourself what fits best for you.

But someone mentioned above in this thread, not to apply with the carpool plan as this will trigger a PA tag, rather apply for the standard plan, then call up to add carpool.
Sweet. Thanks for all the advice! Tomorrow hopefully I'm gonna apply and see if I can still pull it off without a car.

Offline menachem_m

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 02, 2013, 03:39:45 PM »
If buy a new ezpass kit from any store in Brooklyn, will it automatically be the MTA/ no fee version?
Anyone know the closest store to CH selling these?
TIA!