Author Topic: Grand Cayman, Puerto Rico, Or Kauai?  (Read 2979 times)

Offline azhoopsfan

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Grand Cayman, Puerto Rico, Or Kauai?
« on: July 06, 2010, 02:41:11 PM »
Planning a trip for next January with my wife who (hopefully) will be pregnant.  We're in California and want to go somewhere with good medical care (in case of an issue with the pregnancy) and reasonably close (Hawaii and the Caribbean are fine --- Europe/Africa/Asia are too far).

We have a lot of SPG points (no other hotel points) and lots of miles (all from deals learned on this site).  We like to fly and stay for free.

I read in the Kauai master thread that it rains a lot on the north side of the island in the winter.  That could eliminate the St. Regis Princeville.  The Sheraton Kauai has some questionable reviews.  The St. Regis PR will be brand new and they charge $60/night resort fee.  I don't know much of Grand Cayman.

Looking for thoughts!  Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 02:58:56 PM by Dan »

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: Grand Cayman, Puerto Rico, Or Kauai?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 03:00:13 PM »
What about the other Hawaiian Islands?
Oahu, Maui, and the Big Island are all fine choices with plenty of great SPG options..

Plus you could always find someone to trade SPG for Hyatt points and stay in their excellent Maui or Kauai locations.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline steve2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 03:11:06 PM »
 I dont get it azhoopsfan, why would even consider going somewhere when you might need good Medical attention. At least Hawaii is still a part of the US so whatever coverage you have should cover you there, but that might not be the case in the GC.  also what good would it be if the hospital is on the other side of the Island.

Nor would I want to be anywhere where it would mean a long flight to return home even in 1st Class and to me that would mean any flight over 2 1/2 hrs or to go somewhere where the flights are usually Full = having to purchase a very expensive tkt to return

If I was You Id stick to Vegas or Scottsdale, for free rooms and great Resorts,Scottsdale wins hands down

Offline azhoopsfan

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 07:32:48 PM »
Thanks for your help.  Went to Kaanapali last year, I really wish one of the Wailea properties was a Starwood. 

Do you have an opinion on the Oahu properties? 

Been to (and lived in) Scottsdale.  I love it there, but it's not pool weather in January (unless your from Cleveland). 

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 07:39:07 PM »
Thanks for your help.  Went to Kaanapali last year, I really wish one of the Wailea properties was a Starwood. 

Do you have an opinion on the Oahu properties? 

Been to (and lived in) Scottsdale.  I love it there, but it's not pool weather in January (unless your from Cleveland). 
I too wish SPG or Hyatt had had a Wailea presence.  I think the Grand Wailea was actually a Grand Hyatt when it opened but now it's a Waldorf and costs a ridiculous 70K-80K/night.

We absolutely loved the Moana Surfrider Waikiki, but it's not ideal for Shabbos.
On the Big Island you have the Sheraton Keaheau Bay which can be had for just 4K+$60.  Nothing like checking out an active volcano erupting!
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline steve2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 07:49:38 PM »
I too wish SPG or Hyatt had had a Wailea presence.  I think the Grand Wailea was actually a Grand Hyatt when it opened but now it's a Waldorf and costs a ridiculous 70K-80K/night.

We absolutely loved the Moana Surfrider Waikiki, but it's not ideal for Shabbos.
On the Big Island you have the Sheraton Keaheau Bay which can be had for just 4K+$60.  Nothing like checking out an active volcano erupting!

On the Big Island the HWV (Hilton) was also originally built as a Hyatt Resort (dont know which type of Hyatt)

The Sheraton on the BI was not built as a Sheraton but was taken over way after the place closed down. Its in a great spot if you want to go snokling to the Capt Cook area, via tour boat

But other then that it has been panned alot on FT, with many not knowing why it has a Sheraton name to it. If a resort is what you want then Id say this is not the place to go, if not paying for a room is ones main concern then it will fit the bill

Most resorts are up the coast near the Hilton area.

I agree with Volcano Nat Park, and we experienced some great brake outs while there, but no way would I take my wife there if she was carrying or overweight. Too great of a chance to lose ones balance and really injure oneself on the lava. It looked like a Civil War battlefield when we were there with most peoples legs dripping blood. But we escaped w/o any falls, but go when the Mrs is up to it

Offline leibima

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, 02:30:55 PM »
Why only these choices? And why is 'hopefully' in brackets?

Anyway, I looked into Grand Cayman and it seems nice enough but it's more like a city and very touristy. If you like that, then that seems to be a great place with lots of choices for hotels and probably a lot similar to the US than most Carribean islands.

If you want other options, try Turks and Caicos. It is pretty expensive but maybe you can find good deals. It is not as touristy as most other islands and the water is so pure. We stayed at the Regent Palms for five nights two years ago and we can't wait to get back (just waiting to be able to afford the $400 rooms again.