Topic Wiki

Kauai Overview/DansMeals:
http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/39185

Trip Reports:
Dan 2014
Dan 2009, Auntiemus, Benarroc, Westman812, Hudi, Yellow, Lechaim2life, DanFan2010, Jmansour, Something Fishy, Rivky, chuchem, dealvr, Amusch,
Tzadik Nistar, an613, @Yehuda, @Ygygold, Wizmanison 2017, CGR

Dan's concierge packet.

Related DDF Threads:
-Big Island Of Hawaii Master Thread
-Kauai Master Thread
-Maui Master Thread
-Oahu Master Thread

Before you go:

How long should I go for?
You could spend 10 years on Kauai and not get your fill. That being said, the bare minimum to enjoy your stay is 4 days on the ground. A week is ideal.

It's possible to do a short trip by leaving early Sunday morning, getting there in the afternoon, and then leaving Thursday night and being back home for shabbos.

Do I need a guide book?
Very definitely. Sure you could find most info online, but nothing compares to a good, written-by-a-local, guide book. Kauai Revealed is by far the best option, and will possibly be the best $16 you spent on your trip.

What about Shabbos?
Some authorities hold that there's a dateline issue with Shabbos.
The local communities keep shabbos on Saturday.
Definitely ask your LOR before you go - some hold simply that Shabbos is on Saturday, some hold that you have to keep Shabbos on both Friday and Saturday, and some hold that you have to keep D'oreisas on Friday and full Shabbos on Saturday.

If you must keep 2 days, remember that there are many questions that could come up (such as when to light Shabbos candles, how to warm up food, etc.), so make sure to discuss it all with your LOR.

There have been books written about the Chabad opinion of keeping shabbos only on Saturday. Rabbi Aharon Dovid Gancz gives an absolutely fascinating pilpul on the topic, if you get a chance to attend one please record it (with permission) and upload the video online.

Getting there and getting around:

Air:
The main airport is in Lihue, and is designated LIH.
You could fly directly from the mainland to LIH from
DEN (UA)
LAX (AA, DL, HA, UA)
OAK (AS, HA)
SAN (AS)
SEA (AS)
SFO (UA)
SJC (AS)
PDX (AS)
PHX (US)
YVR (WestJet)

There are no direct flights from the East coast, so you will stop in one of these cities.
Alternately, you could fly directly to Honolulu (HNL) and continue to LIH from there.

Hawaiian, Go, and Island Air fly interisland to LIH from HNL and OGG. There are no direct flights between LIH and the Big Island (ITO/KOA).

You can also use 5K AA or, 6k UA, or 7.5k HA miles each way to fly interisland. United allows a free stopover on a round-trip, so for instance you can fly HNL-LIH-OGG-HNL for just 12K miles.

Car:
A car is necessary on Kauai. All major companies have branches, mostly at the airport. There are also some local companies.

National has Executive Aisle/Selection at the airport, but Hertz doesn't have Gold Choice. Avis also has a desk at the Grand Hyatt Kauai. Check out www.discounthawaiicarrental.com - they book from the major brands, and are worth a try.

There's nothing like a convertible on Kauai, but a 4WD is better (sometimes even necessary) for certain places such as Polihale Beach or Milolii Ridge Road. Taking a convertible for most of your stay and a 4WD for a day or two is a good idea.

Where to stay:

There are 3 major areas where to stay. The South side is drier so good weather is more or less guaranteed. The North side is far prettier, with sheer cliffs and a backdrop of lovely green mountains. However, the weather in winter could be rainy and it can be buggy as well.
The rain typically doesn't last long, and is usually accompanied by numerous rainbows, so it's usually not too bad. However, it's something you should take into account. The East side has the cities of Lihue and Kapa'a, alone with countless hotels and resorts. This area isn't as beautiful and the North or South side.

When choosing an area also consider how far it is to your chosen activities, not just the weather, For example, it takes about an hour from the Grand Hyatt to Waimea Canyon, but over two hours from the St. Regis.  On the other hand the St. Regis is much closer to north shore activities.

Here are some places that are discussed in this thread:

NameAreaMore InfoComments
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Grand Hyatt KauaiSouth sideWebsiteGenerally considered to be the top hotel on Kauai, and countless DDF'ers have stayed there. The weather is perfect year-round, it's right by Poipu beach, and you drive through an awesome tree tunnel to get there. There are countless pools and exotic birds all around.
St. Regis PrincevilleNorth sideWebsiteAnother beautiful hotel, this is an SPG category 7. The setting of the SRP is absolutely breathtaking, with the ocean crashing on the cliffs below and the waterfall-filled mountains in the background. The views from the rooms are unparalleled, but most rooms have no balconies.
Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas North sideWebsiteSPG category 6.
Sheraton Kauai Resort South sideWebsiteSPG category 5.
"Get your own place"AnywhereWebsiteThere are countless condos, timeshares, or villas available to rent on the island. The advantages are that you get more for your money - a couple of bedrooms, living/dining rooms, and a full kitchen. There will usually be a pool, sometimes even a private one. Additionally, they're often cheaper than a hotel. There are many places to find them -
 HomeAway Kauai
VRBO Kauai
Airbnb Kauai, etc.

What to do:

Beaches:
There are countless beaches on Kauai, and all are public. Most offer amazing snorkeling. The East and South side beaches are safe for swimming / snorkeling year round, while some North and West beaches could be deadly in winter. Here are some popular ones, in no particular order:

NameAreaComments
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
PoipuSouth sideThis beach is right by the GHK. Full amenities (lifeguard, showers, etc.). Snorkeling is amazing here, especially in the morning. Sea turtles and the critically endangered Hawaiian monk seal are commonly seen here. Gorgeous sunsets.
Ke'eNorth sideThis beach is the gateway to the famous Kalalau Trail. The view from here is amazing, looking out over the majestic Na Pali cliffs. Great snorkeling, with a large fringing reef. This beach could be deadly winter, when 20-foot waves crash onto shore. However, at times it's perfectly calm. Use common sense. The beach is part of Hāʻena State Park
TunnelsNorth sideBeautiful crescent beach, with a lovely view of "Puff the Magic Dragon" mountain. Great snorkeling, and beautiful sunrises. May be dangerous in winter.
LumahaiNorth sideVery pretty beach, where they filmed South Pacific. Extremely dangerous winter.
PolihaleWest side17 solid miles of uninterrupted sand. Fairly remote, and accessible only via dirt and sand road, so 4WD is preferred. Unswimmable most of the year, but the area called Queens Pond is safe all year round. Since it's so huge, you could easily find a secluded spot. Great view of the south side of Na Pali, with amazing sunsets.
Queen's BathNorth sideThis is a rocky beach by the cliffs under Princeville. Very cool during the summer, when you could swim in a rock pool with the fish, but absolutely deadly during the winter (people die there all the time).
KalalauNorth sideOne of the most beautiful beaches in the entire world. Unfortunately, it's only accessible via one of the most difficult and most dangerous hikes in the world, the Kalalau Trail.
HonopūNorth sideAnother one of the top ten beaches in the world. The only way to get there is by swimming - from Kalalau beach :o!
Hanalei BayNorth sideA beautiful crescent beach with wonderful views. Mediocre snorkeling, but safe even in the winter. Very predictable waves, so this is the top spot for learning to surf or paddle. Breathtaking sunrises and sunsets.
SecretNorth sideRelatively secluded beach, and needs a bit of a hike to get there.
LydgateEast sideA fully protected beach, with pretty good snorkeling. Great for little kids, but is usually very busy.
NawiliwiliEast sideBoring beach, but the park of the the side is a nice place to stop for lunch and watch the kitesurfers.
Kapa'aEast sideAnother relatively boring beach, but a nice place to have lunch if you're in Kapa'a.

Hiking:
There are a tremendous amount of great hikes on Kauai. Check the Kauai Revealed book for detailed info on all of them, with maps, difficulty ratings, etc. These are just a few which are discussed in this thread:

NameAreaComments
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Hike 1Area 1Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat volutpat. Ut wisi enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exerci tation ullamcorper suscipit lobortis nisl ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat.
Hike 2Area 2Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat volutpat. Ut wisi enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exerci tation ullamcorper suscipit lobortis nisl ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat.

Other activities:

ActivityComments
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Helicopter toursEasily the most expensive activity on Kauai, and easily the most amazing. You get to see otherwise inaccessible places - among others, you fly into Waimea Canyon, along the stunning Na Pali coast, and into the crater of the extinct Mount Waiʻaleʻale, now the wettest place on earth. It's an experience that could simply not be matched. Blue Hawaiian is the most popular and usually recommended. Jack Harter also flies amazing doors-off tours, which are wet, windy, and exhilirating :D.
Powered hang glidingThis is a unique flight lesson (counts a flying time for a pilot's license) in what's basically a motorized tricycle with wings. Supposed to be tremendous fun. Offered by Birds in Paradise.
Waimea CanyonLorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat volutpat. Ut wisi enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exerci tation ullamcorper suscipit lobortis nisl ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat.
Kalalau Valley overlookLorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat volutpat. Ut wisi enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exerci tation ullamcorper suscipit lobortis nisl ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat.
Hanalei Valley overlook
Kayaking
Biking
ATVing
Horseback riding
Ziplining
Cruises
4 Wheel Driving

Shopping:
  • Costco in Lihue has some kosher food, as well as the cheapest gas on the island
  • Wal-Mart, also in Lihue, also has some kosher food

« Last edited by cgr on February 24, 2022, 09:16:59 PM »

Author Topic: Kauai, HI Master Thread  (Read 833072 times)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: Kauai, HI Master Thread
« Reply #2260 on: October 21, 2016, 02:57:30 PM »
Lol, that's an awesome upgrade for the route!
Never seen it lie-flat when I've searched in the past.

If there's lie-flat F space go for it!

LAX-LIH route downgraded from sCO 752 to sCO 739 effective 1/9/17 :(
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline @Yehuda

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2261 on: October 21, 2016, 05:03:18 PM »
What in the world is this?
Saw something similar right next to Queen's Bath.

Offline wonderlust

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2262 on: October 27, 2016, 05:38:02 PM »

Been dragging my feet finishing off my TR so maybe if I start posting it will get me to finish it off:

Flights:
Ever since I went to Maui last summer and got a taste of Hawaii I really wanted to go to Kauai. As it turns out, we had a family simcha in LA so I figured that was a perfect opportunity since we were already going to be half way there and the jet lag will be  a little less brutal. We made a deal with my SIL, my wife watched her kids in June when she went away with her husband, and in turn she would fly back from LA with our infant son after shabbos and watch him while we went to Kauai.  I Booked BWI to LAX nonstop for 7k on southwest with cp for Thursday night. On Southwest a lap child is free you just need to get a boarding pass. If the flight isn't full they allow you to bring the car seat on the flight effectively allowing him to fly free. Since you can always cancel a flight up until departure you could book him a seat and if the flight isn't full you can just cancel his ticket and have him go as a "lap child". Alas,I didn't realize all this until the flight was all sold out but thankfully even though the fight was officcally full there was one seat open and they allowed us to bring on the car seat. I sold a bunch of LH miles  & had exactly 20k which was perfect for 1 return of HNL-IAD nonstop on United & used 5k AA for the LIH-HNL leg on Hawaiian. For my wife I booked her on the same flights but with 28k United. Even though I get a free luggage with both legs of my flight it requires picking it up -in HNL and rechecking it in & with only 1.5 hrs time in between flights I opted to check both bags under my wife's name which would go straight thru to IAD for $60. I was told by check-in to email United to get the baggage refunded since it was an award booking and wife has United card to boot, but I'm still working on that.. the outbound flight from Lax to LIH was the tough one. Since we were only staying till Thur I really didn't want to lose Sunday but the AA flight for Sunday morning from lax didn't have any saver availability so I coughed up the $400 per flight.  It was very frustrating though to see saver open up about 2 months before booking  but when I made the booking in March (don't ask!) I didn't want to risk the flight selling out or going up any more in price so  after monitoring it for a few weeks I threw in the 'miles towel' & paid for it ( the flight also dropped in price about a month before booking down to $350).I was able to mitigate it with a 150$ voucher from justfly for a previously screwed up booking for 1 flight & some AA gift cards for the other flight. Flying to Hawaii you go against air current so the outbound from LA to LIH which is only 2,600 miles is a 6hrs flight  while the HNL to IAD is 4,800 miles but only a 8.5 hr flight- go figure!

Total cost : 7K-southwest   20K-LH   5K-AA  28K-United   $60-Baggage (we’ll see about that)   LAX-LIH: $270 & $400 in AA gift cards which I bought for $325.

Food:
 POM meals worked out last yr in Maui so we ordered again. We amazon primed a toaster to the hotel for like 25$ but it wasn't really able to hold more than one Pom meal at a time. We packed them all in one cooler & they stayed frozen in the cooler for about 12 hrs twice- for the bwi-lax & lax-Lih portions of the trip.It  was a bit of a tight squeeze but we got it all in our cooler which since everything was frozen was allowed thru security (no dry ice) & we gate checked it for the lax-LIH flight without issue. When we got to the hotel we took out food until Tuesday and  they took our frozen meals to the freezer & we did the same on Tuesdays & Wednesday for no extra charge. Few pointers on POM meals: we learned from last year to bring/buy extra aluminum foil to re-wrap since tears can happen plus the stickers with the heating instructions will melt in an oven (found out the hard way). Also, POM didn't pack the blintzes or eggplant parm in tin foil (despite our instructions) so it was good that we had the ability to re-wrap.. We also individually wrapped each item in zip-locks so if there is some leakage/melting it won't affect the rest of the food. In general we found the most of the fried food kind of lousy ( fried cutlet, wings & sesame chicken) while the rest of it was great (ribs, eggplant parm, stuffed cabbage,meatballs, veg soup, blintzes, salmon) also the honey mustard cornbeef was so fatty that there was  hardly an edible part to it but still overall we were very happy and full. On the return flight I brought a POM meal and after the drink service was done I asked a flight attendant if she could warm the meal for me which she kindly agreed. When I brought her the meal though, the head flight attendant didn't want to let her warm my food but the other flight attendants stood up to her  and in the end she thankfully allowed it. The other flight attendants were super nice and they brought me my food and plastic utensils and kept coming over to ask if it was good. It was a little embarrassing the whole ordeal but thankfully it was night time so most ppl were sleeping and didn’t notice.(Side point:  the food was completely defrosted so it was a good thing that I had new aluminum foil to cover over the wrapping or there is no way they would of done it). At the GHK we had diamond status we got free access to the club along with bagels from Chabad from Honolulu. The bagels we had to order a few days in advance and ask the kitchen staff to reserve for us  but as  it turned out they were nothing great (shocker) so after the first day we weren't really interested in bothering with them. Meanwhile the staff said they might not have anymore for the last 2 days so we played an awkward game of avoiding each other;We were trying to avoid them since we didn't want them to fuss over the bagels we didn't like while they were avoiding us since they were out of the bagels we didn't want! lol..Instead we just loaded up on fruit, milk & cereals (they have decent selection of small boxes) for breakfast. At Walmart we bought drinks, snacks, beer & plastics which technically we could of gotten from the club room but we wanted our own stash without dealing with it. I found that the tourist items in walmart are expensive (17$ for  a beach towel?!) but the regular food items & clothing (wife bought water shoes for like $5) were well priced.

Total cost $270-POM  $30-Toaster $60- Walmart

Hotel:
 we booked 4 nights at the Grand Hyatt with C&P & I used a DSU for the garden suite room. The cash total comes out to $201 a night after all fees & tax. I bought Hyatt gift cards from Cardcash at a discount of between 15%-18% add the 5x chase miles on ink that you used to get (it recently changed) and it was close to a 25% savings in total. Tip: Cardcash only guarantees gift cards for 45 days and Hyatt cards- especially the high denominations (above $100) have a high delinquency rate so only buy them close to your trip. I know the hotel has been covered a dozen times but here is my 2 cents: 1- the room is gorgeous and very spacious. I have two words for the toilet- game changer! I know what I want for my next birthday present… The actual bed was only a queen size & wasn't amazingly comfortable & I wasn’t crazy about the small pillows .The hotel grounds are really stunning and it's easy to see why celebrities come flocking there  (Justin Beiver & Britney Spears were there this season). The pictures posted on the forums honestly don't do it justice. The only thing I have experienced that is  comparable to the pools would be the Tabacon hot springs in Costa Rica but that isn't by the beach like this is. I did find that it didn't have as dramatic a setting as the hotels in Maui (supposedly you need to go to the St Regis in Princeville for that). We stayed last year in the Marriott in Walea and were spoiled by sunsets from the Infiniti pool that would make you cry- none of that at the Hyatt. If there is one big drawback to the hotel it's the long walk to get anywhere. It's bad enough how spread out everything is but it seems like there was no logic in how it was set up- nothing seems to connect to each other so your constantly walking around instead of being able to cut thru.. They gave us a room that was at the absolute end of the resort and it literally took 10min to walk to the pool or lobby which can be a huge drag.. I would be very mindful when checking in to find out exactly where in the resort they put you and what the access points are. In our case the service elevator  was  out which made a long walk even longer. The wifi and cell phone service wasn't good in our room but not sure if that's the case for everyone. Over all though the hotel is absolutely amazing. The hardest part of the trip was deciding to leave the grounds to explore the beautiful island of Kauai. Supposedly the hotel was swarming with from ppl the week before ( seems zika was a factor in a lot of ppl choosing Hawaii over the much cheaper and closer Caribbean) Thankfully we only noticed one or two during our stay. I don't mind meeting the occasional frum person on vacation but we flew halfway around the world to get away from it all and spend time with each other- not to hang out poolside playing jewish geography with half the east coast...

Total cost:  50K Chase & $805 which came out to about $600/650 with giftcards& Ink points

Car Rental:
In LA I used my Hertz Gold points (I have a ton from my dating days) which you get better value out of for weekend rentals than midweek (Was I the only person in the world that was bugging out when they devalued their points?) for Kauai I opted to go with National since I have Executive aisle from my canceled Amex Plat. With the help of some nice Corp Rates I got a rental for $170. When I called the branch originally to find out about getting a convertible the agent acted as if I was asking about renting a snowmobile- “very very rarely do we have them in stock…” but when I arrived at the branch and I asked about convertibles  the guy told me they have a bunch and I can choose from Camaro or Mustang.  I opted for silver mustang and we had a great time with it. I put all my rentals on Amex which I signed up for their premium primary coverage and just swap them out to my arrival card at the end of the rental to use my arrival points to cover the cost ( You didn’t actually think I was going to pay for it:). When I returned the car the lady didn’t want to let me swap it out (she didn’t understand the concept of a business cc which my amex was) but the manager who was an awesome guy did it for me without an issue. We were schmoozing about the mustang and I mentioned how the back windows didn’t go up once and he launched in to a whole speech how they are waiting for a recall on them and handed me  a bunch of vouchers for the non-existent trouble..I Used Uber from IAD to Baltimore which even though is 70 miles away and 1.5 hr drive was only $85 plus a $30 Uber coupon-  I am now an UBERLIEVER!

Total Cost; Hertz- 1400 gold points  National- $170 (plus $50 in vouchers for future)  Uber- $55

TBC..

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #2263 on: October 28, 2016, 01:19:36 AM »
For anyone with SRP experience:

Did you find it worthwhile? Across TRs and FT everyone seems to pretty much bash the SRP. I believe its mostly due to the restaurant which I don't care about and the fact that it isn't like other SR's which I understand. You seem to pay premium for location over the actual hotel itself.

I am just debating if its worth doing 3 nights there over 7 full nights at GHK. Id assume I save "shlepping time" for activities Id want to do in the north and possibly west.

The best "deal" I am getting is 90k+$625 for a 3 night stay into a Junior Suite.

[Id be Plat by the time I get around to my stay as well as Hyatt Diamond with no confirmed Suite at the GHK]

Off the top of my head:

SRP Pros:
-Stunning setting and views.
-More personal service.
-Luxurious/modern feel.
-Beach chairs and pool service.
-Less kids around than at GHK.
-Betler service if you're into that.

SRP Cons:
-Several elevators required to go from many guest rooms to pools/beach.
-Most rooms have don't have lanais
-Junior suites are just a larger room without any real separation or lanai.
-North shore can be very rainy and buggy in the winter.
-Pools are nothing to write home about.
-Not a great beach
-Service can be a bit too personal.
-Butler required for items like ice, etc.

GHK Pros:
-Beautiful Hawaiian landscaped grounds
-Incredible pools
-Grand Club
-Diamond suite upgrades
-Proximity to Waimea/Polihale
-Kid activities
-Less rain than north shore
-Coco Mango toiletries
-Free laundry facilities
-Anara spa access for diamonds

GHK Cons:
-Very poor beach
-Lack of pool services
-Not modern or luxurious
-Lots of kids in resort
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline mochjas

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 123
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, AA EX PLAT, Jetblue Mosaic, Qatar Gold, United Silver
« Reply #2264 on: October 28, 2016, 07:00:06 AM »
Off the top of my head:

SRP Pros:
-Stunning setting and views.
-More personal service.
-Luxurious/modern feel.
-Beach chairs and pool service.
-Less kids around than at GHK.
-Betler service if you're into that.

SRP Cons:
-Several elevators required to go from many guest rooms to pools/beach.
-Most rooms have don't have lanais
-Junior suites are just a larger room without any real separation or lanai.
-North shore can be very rainy and buggy in the winter.
-Pools are nothing to write home about.
-Not a great beach
-Service can be a bit too personal.
-Butler required for items like ice, etc.

GHK Pros:
-Beautiful Hawaiian landscaped grounds
-Incredible pools
-Grand Club
-Diamond suite upgrades
-Proximity to Waimea/Polihale
-Kid activities
-Less rain than north shore
-Coco Mango toiletries
-Free laundry facilities
-Anara spa access for diamonds

GHK Cons:
-Very poor beach
-Lack of pool services
-Not modern or luxurious
-Lots of kids in resort
wow the first 3 cons of GHK make it difficult for me to want to stay there.

Also I would add price to the pros and cons

Offline efflpetzel

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2265 on: October 28, 2016, 10:34:31 AM »
Add the toilet at the ghk today the pro's

Offline sarahb

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2266 on: November 13, 2016, 10:53:26 AM »
If we book at GHK as diamond members and have an available suite upgrade if we book with cask and points for one night and the remaining 4 nights only points do you think we would be able to keep the suite the entire stay?

Offline sedge

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2267 on: November 13, 2016, 03:16:44 PM »
If we book at GHK as diamond members and have an available suite upgrade if we book with cask and points for one night and the remaining 4 nights only points do you think we would be able to keep the suite the entire stay?
Book the DSU nights in the beginning of the stay. You are less likely to be asked to move then. It all depends on availability though.

I've done this twice this year and neither time was I asked to move, but I was always told in advance that I might have to.

Offline mgoldhammer18

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: American Airlines, Citi thank you, British Avios, Hilton, SPG, AMEX Platinum, Jetblue
« Reply #2268 on: November 14, 2016, 11:32:24 AM »

Been dragging my feet finishing off my TR so maybe if I start posting it will get me to finish it off:

Flights:
Ever since I went to Maui last summer and got a taste of Hawaii I really wanted to go to Kauai. As it turns out, we had a family simcha in LA so I figured that was a perfect opportunity since we were already going to be half way there and the jet lag will be  a little less brutal. We made a deal with my SIL, my wife watched her kids in June when she went away with her husband, and in turn she would fly back from LA with our infant son after shabbos and watch him while we went to Kauai.  I Booked BWI to LAX nonstop for 7k on southwest with cp for Thursday night. On Southwest a lap child is free you just need to get a boarding pass. If the flight isn't full they allow you to bring the car seat on the flight effectively allowing him to fly free. Since you can always cancel a flight up until departure you could book him a seat and if the flight isn't full you can just cancel his ticket and have him go as a "lap child". Alas,I didn't realize all this until the flight was all sold out but thankfully even though the fight was officcally full there was one seat open and they allowed us to bring on the car seat. I sold a bunch of LH miles  & had exactly 20k which was perfect for 1 return of HNL-IAD nonstop on United & used 5k AA for the LIH-HNL leg on Hawaiian. For my wife I booked her on the same flights but with 28k United. Even though I get a free luggage with both legs of my flight it requires picking it up -in HNL and rechecking it in & with only 1.5 hrs time in between flights I opted to check both bags under my wife's name which would go straight thru to IAD for $60. I was told by check-in to email United to get the baggage refunded since it was an award booking and wife has United card to boot, but I'm still working on that.. the outbound flight from Lax to LIH was the tough one. Since we were only staying till Thur I really didn't want to lose Sunday but the AA flight for Sunday morning from lax didn't have any saver availability so I coughed up the $400 per flight.  It was very frustrating though to see saver open up about 2 months before booking  but when I made the booking in March (don't ask!) I didn't want to risk the flight selling out or going up any more in price so  after monitoring it for a few weeks I threw in the 'miles towel' & paid for it ( the flight also dropped in price about a month before booking down to $350).I was able to mitigate it with a 150$ voucher from justfly for a previously screwed up booking for 1 flight & some AA gift cards for the other flight. Flying to Hawaii you go against air current so the outbound from LA to LIH which is only 2,600 miles is a 6hrs flight  while the HNL to IAD is 4,800 miles but only a 8.5 hr flight- go figure!

Total cost : 7K-southwest   20K-LH   5K-AA  28K-United   $60-Baggage (we’ll see about that)   LAX-LIH: $270 & $400 in AA gift cards which I bought for $325.

Food:
 POM meals worked out last yr in Maui so we ordered again. We amazon primed a toaster to the hotel for like 25$ but it wasn't really able to hold more than one Pom meal at a time. We packed them all in one cooler & they stayed frozen in the cooler for about 12 hrs twice- for the bwi-lax & lax-Lih portions of the trip.It  was a bit of a tight squeeze but we got it all in our cooler which since everything was frozen was allowed thru security (no dry ice) & we gate checked it for the lax-LIH flight without issue. When we got to the hotel we took out food until Tuesday and  they took our frozen meals to the freezer & we did the same on Tuesdays & Wednesday for no extra charge. Few pointers on POM meals: we learned from last year to bring/buy extra aluminum foil to re-wrap since tears can happen plus the stickers with the heating instructions will melt in an oven (found out the hard way). Also, POM didn't pack the blintzes or eggplant parm in tin foil (despite our instructions) so it was good that we had the ability to re-wrap.. We also individually wrapped each item in zip-locks so if there is some leakage/melting it won't affect the rest of the food. In general we found the most of the fried food kind of lousy ( fried cutlet, wings & sesame chicken) while the rest of it was great (ribs, eggplant parm, stuffed cabbage,meatballs, veg soup, blintzes, salmon) also the honey mustard cornbeef was so fatty that there was  hardly an edible part to it but still overall we were very happy and full. On the return flight I brought a POM meal and after the drink service was done I asked a flight attendant if she could warm the meal for me which she kindly agreed. When I brought her the meal though, the head flight attendant didn't want to let her warm my food but the other flight attendants stood up to her  and in the end she thankfully allowed it. The other flight attendants were super nice and they brought me my food and plastic utensils and kept coming over to ask if it was good. It was a little embarrassing the whole ordeal but thankfully it was night time so most ppl were sleeping and didn’t notice.(Side point:  the food was completely defrosted so it was a good thing that I had new aluminum foil to cover over the wrapping or there is no way they would of done it). At the GHK we had diamond status we got free access to the club along with bagels from Chabad from Honolulu. The bagels we had to order a few days in advance and ask the kitchen staff to reserve for us  but as  it turned out they were nothing great (shocker) so after the first day we weren't really interested in bothering with them. Meanwhile the staff said they might not have anymore for the last 2 days so we played an awkward game of avoiding each other;We were trying to avoid them since we didn't want them to fuss over the bagels we didn't like while they were avoiding us since they were out of the bagels we didn't want! lol..Instead we just loaded up on fruit, milk & cereals (they have decent selection of small boxes) for breakfast. At Walmart we bought drinks, snacks, beer & plastics which technically we could of gotten from the club room but we wanted our own stash without dealing with it. I found that the tourist items in walmart are expensive (17$ for  a beach towel?!) but the regular food items & clothing (wife bought water shoes for like $5) were well priced.

Total cost $270-POM  $30-Toaster $60- Walmart

Hotel:
 we booked 4 nights at the Grand Hyatt with C&P & I used a DSU for the garden suite room. The cash total comes out to $201 a night after all fees & tax. I bought Hyatt gift cards from Cardcash at a discount of between 15%-18% add the 5x chase miles on ink that you used to get (it recently changed) and it was close to a 25% savings in total. Tip: Cardcash only guarantees gift cards for 45 days and Hyatt cards- especially the high denominations (above $100) have a high delinquency rate so only buy them close to your trip. I know the hotel has been covered a dozen times but here is my 2 cents: 1- the room is gorgeous and very spacious. I have two words for the toilet- game changer! I know what I want for my next birthday present… The actual bed was only a queen size & wasn't amazingly comfortable & I wasn’t crazy about the small pillows .The hotel grounds are really stunning and it's easy to see why celebrities come flocking there  (Justin Beiver & Britney Spears were there this season). The pictures posted on the forums honestly don't do it justice. The only thing I have experienced that is  comparable to the pools would be the Tabacon hot springs in Costa Rica but that isn't by the beach like this is. I did find that it didn't have as dramatic a setting as the hotels in Maui (supposedly you need to go to the St Regis in Princeville for that). We stayed last year in the Marriott in Walea and were spoiled by sunsets from the Infiniti pool that would make you cry- none of that at the Hyatt. If there is one big drawback to the hotel it's the long walk to get anywhere. It's bad enough how spread out everything is but it seems like there was no logic in how it was set up- nothing seems to connect to each other so your constantly walking around instead of being able to cut thru.. They gave us a room that was at the absolute end of the resort and it literally took 10min to walk to the pool or lobby which can be a huge drag.. I would be very mindful when checking in to find out exactly where in the resort they put you and what the access points are. In our case the service elevator  was  out which made a long walk even longer. The wifi and cell phone service wasn't good in our room but not sure if that's the case for everyone. Over all though the hotel is absolutely amazing. The hardest part of the trip was deciding to leave the grounds to explore the beautiful island of Kauai. Supposedly the hotel was swarming with from ppl the week before ( seems zika was a factor in a lot of ppl choosing Hawaii over the much cheaper and closer Caribbean) Thankfully we only noticed one or two during our stay. I don't mind meeting the occasional frum person on vacation but we flew halfway around the world to get away from it all and spend time with each other- not to hang out poolside playing jewish geography with half the east coast...

Total cost:  50K Chase & $805 which came out to about $600/650 with giftcards& Ink points

Car Rental:
In LA I used my Hertz Gold points (I have a ton from my dating days) which you get better value out of for weekend rentals than midweek (Was I the only person in the world that was bugging out when they devalued their points?) for Kauai I opted to go with National since I have Executive aisle from my canceled Amex Plat. With the help of some nice Corp Rates I got a rental for $170. When I called the branch originally to find out about getting a convertible the agent acted as if I was asking about renting a snowmobile- “very very rarely do we have them in stock…” but when I arrived at the branch and I asked about convertibles  the guy told me they have a bunch and I can choose from Camaro or Mustang.  I opted for silver mustang and we had a great time with it. I put all my rentals on Amex which I signed up for their premium primary coverage and just swap them out to my arrival card at the end of the rental to use my arrival points to cover the cost ( You didn’t actually think I was going to pay for it:). When I returned the car the lady didn’t want to let me swap it out (she didn’t understand the concept of a business cc which my amex was) but the manager who was an awesome guy did it for me without an issue. We were schmoozing about the mustang and I mentioned how the back windows didn’t go up once and he launched in to a whole speech how they are waiting for a recall on them and handed me  a bunch of vouchers for the non-existent trouble..I Used Uber from IAD to Baltimore which even though is 70 miles away and 1.5 hr drive was only $85 plus a $30 Uber coupon-  I am now an UBERLIEVER!

Total Cost; Hertz- 1400 gold points  National- $170 (plus $50 in vouchers for future)  Uber- $55

TBC..

Nice TR.  Why didn't you put this in the TR section?

Offline sedge

• View Profile
« Reply #2269 on: November 15, 2016, 01:02:35 AM »
Has anyone visited Niihau?

I am thinking about a heli ride, land on island, snorkle and explore, eat lunch on beach

http://www.niihau.us/heli.html
Bump

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2270 on: November 15, 2016, 01:10:48 AM »
Bump
I have tried to go a few times. They've cancelled on me every time.

Offline sedge

• View Profile
« Reply #2271 on: November 15, 2016, 01:17:32 AM »
I have tried to go a few times. They've cancelled on me every time.
Thank you for the reply Dan. Did they give you a reason?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2272 on: November 15, 2016, 01:20:42 AM »
Thank you for the reply Dan. Did they give you a reason?
-Weather was an issue.
-Pilot called in sick.
-Heli needed maintenance work.
-Etc, etc.

Point is, don't count on it.

Offline mgoldhammer18

• View Profile
  • Programs: American Airlines, Citi thank you, British Avios, Hilton, SPG, AMEX Platinum, Jetblue
« Reply #2273 on: November 23, 2016, 09:02:36 AM »
Would I have time to go to all of these sights/do all of these things in 5 full days?

Waimea canyon, spouting horn, poipu beach park,Blue Hawaiin Helicopter tours, polihale beach park, ke'e beach
Maybe-Queens Bath

Offline benjie1305

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #2274 on: November 23, 2016, 09:03:55 AM »
Would I have time to go to all of these sights/do all of these things in 5 full days?

Waimea canyon, spouting horn, poipu beach park,Blue Hawaiin Helicopter tours, polihale beach park, ke'e beach
Maybe-Queens Bath

From reading up extensively and planning this myself this can definitely be done in 5 full days as several items can be done in a single day.
Work hard, Play harder!

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2275 on: November 23, 2016, 09:04:05 AM »

Maybe-Queens Bath
Yes.

Offline mgoldhammer18

• View Profile
« Reply #2276 on: November 23, 2016, 09:11:43 AM »
Thanks guys.

Offline Buruch

• View Profile
« Reply #2277 on: November 23, 2016, 05:48:42 PM »

Maybe-Queens Bath

Can be done in 2-3 days. OTOH, you can spend 5 days in Waimea Canyon alone.

Offline Flying Fish

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2278 on: November 23, 2016, 06:43:39 PM »
There are a few posts in this thread which mention emailing the GHK GM in advance. Can someone please provide the email address? Can PM if its not meant to be public.

Offline 3yummyboys

• View Profile
« Reply #2279 on: November 28, 2016, 08:57:35 AM »
There are a few posts in this thread which mention emailing the GHK GM in advance. Can someone please provide the email address? Can PM if its not meant to be public.

I called the hotel and asked for GM's name and email