Topic Wiki

Kauai Overview/DansMeals:
http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/39185

Trip Reports:
Dan 2014
Dan 2009, Auntiemus, Benarroc, Westman812, Hudi, Yellow, Lechaim2life, DanFan2010, Jmansour, Something Fishy, Rivky, chuchem, dealvr, Amusch,
Tzadik Nistar, an613, @Yehuda, @Ygygold, Wizmanison 2017, CGR

Dan's concierge packet.

Related DDF Threads:
-Big Island Of Hawaii Master Thread
-Kauai Master Thread
-Maui Master Thread
-Oahu Master Thread

Before you go:

How long should I go for?
You could spend 10 years on Kauai and not get your fill. That being said, the bare minimum to enjoy your stay is 4 days on the ground. A week is ideal.

It's possible to do a short trip by leaving early Sunday morning, getting there in the afternoon, and then leaving Thursday night and being back home for shabbos.

Do I need a guide book?
Very definitely. Sure you could find most info online, but nothing compares to a good, written-by-a-local, guide book. Kauai Revealed is by far the best option, and will possibly be the best $16 you spent on your trip.

What about Shabbos?
Some authorities hold that there's a dateline issue with Shabbos.
The local communities keep shabbos on Saturday.
Definitely ask your LOR before you go - some hold simply that Shabbos is on Saturday, some hold that you have to keep Shabbos on both Friday and Saturday, and some hold that you have to keep D'oreisas on Friday and full Shabbos on Saturday.

If you must keep 2 days, remember that there are many questions that could come up (such as when to light Shabbos candles, how to warm up food, etc.), so make sure to discuss it all with your LOR.

There have been books written about the Chabad opinion of keeping shabbos only on Saturday. Rabbi Aharon Dovid Gancz gives an absolutely fascinating pilpul on the topic, if you get a chance to attend one please record it (with permission) and upload the video online.

Getting there and getting around:

Air:
The main airport is in Lihue, and is designated LIH.
You could fly directly from the mainland to LIH from
DEN (UA)
LAX (AA, DL, HA, UA)
OAK (AS, HA)
SAN (AS)
SEA (AS)
SFO (UA)
SJC (AS)
PDX (AS)
PHX (US)
YVR (WestJet)

There are no direct flights from the East coast, so you will stop in one of these cities.
Alternately, you could fly directly to Honolulu (HNL) and continue to LIH from there.

Hawaiian, Go, and Island Air fly interisland to LIH from HNL and OGG. There are no direct flights between LIH and the Big Island (ITO/KOA).

You can also use 5K AA or, 6k UA, or 7.5k HA miles each way to fly interisland. United allows a free stopover on a round-trip, so for instance you can fly HNL-LIH-OGG-HNL for just 12K miles.

Car:
A car is necessary on Kauai. All major companies have branches, mostly at the airport. There are also some local companies.

National has Executive Aisle/Selection at the airport, but Hertz doesn't have Gold Choice. Avis also has a desk at the Grand Hyatt Kauai. Check out www.discounthawaiicarrental.com - they book from the major brands, and are worth a try.

There's nothing like a convertible on Kauai, but a 4WD is better (sometimes even necessary) for certain places such as Polihale Beach or Milolii Ridge Road. Taking a convertible for most of your stay and a 4WD for a day or two is a good idea.

Where to stay:

There are 3 major areas where to stay. The South side is drier so good weather is more or less guaranteed. The North side is far prettier, with sheer cliffs and a backdrop of lovely green mountains. However, the weather in winter could be rainy and it can be buggy as well.
The rain typically doesn't last long, and is usually accompanied by numerous rainbows, so it's usually not too bad. However, it's something you should take into account. The East side has the cities of Lihue and Kapa'a, alone with countless hotels and resorts. This area isn't as beautiful and the North or South side.

When choosing an area also consider how far it is to your chosen activities, not just the weather, For example, it takes about an hour from the Grand Hyatt to Waimea Canyon, but over two hours from the St. Regis.  On the other hand the St. Regis is much closer to north shore activities.

Here are some places that are discussed in this thread:

NameAreaMore InfoComments
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Grand Hyatt KauaiSouth sideWebsiteGenerally considered to be the top hotel on Kauai, and countless DDF'ers have stayed there. The weather is perfect year-round, it's right by Poipu beach, and you drive through an awesome tree tunnel to get there. There are countless pools and exotic birds all around.
St. Regis PrincevilleNorth sideWebsiteAnother beautiful hotel, this is an SPG category 7. The setting of the SRP is absolutely breathtaking, with the ocean crashing on the cliffs below and the waterfall-filled mountains in the background. The views from the rooms are unparalleled, but most rooms have no balconies.
Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas North sideWebsiteSPG category 6.
Sheraton Kauai Resort South sideWebsiteSPG category 5.
"Get your own place"AnywhereWebsiteThere are countless condos, timeshares, or villas available to rent on the island. The advantages are that you get more for your money - a couple of bedrooms, living/dining rooms, and a full kitchen. There will usually be a pool, sometimes even a private one. Additionally, they're often cheaper than a hotel. There are many places to find them -
 HomeAway Kauai
VRBO Kauai
Airbnb Kauai, etc.

What to do:

Beaches:
There are countless beaches on Kauai, and all are public. Most offer amazing snorkeling. The East and South side beaches are safe for swimming / snorkeling year round, while some North and West beaches could be deadly in winter. Here are some popular ones, in no particular order:

NameAreaComments
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
PoipuSouth sideThis beach is right by the GHK. Full amenities (lifeguard, showers, etc.). Snorkeling is amazing here, especially in the morning. Sea turtles and the critically endangered Hawaiian monk seal are commonly seen here. Gorgeous sunsets.
Ke'eNorth sideThis beach is the gateway to the famous Kalalau Trail. The view from here is amazing, looking out over the majestic Na Pali cliffs. Great snorkeling, with a large fringing reef. This beach could be deadly winter, when 20-foot waves crash onto shore. However, at times it's perfectly calm. Use common sense. The beach is part of Hāʻena State Park
TunnelsNorth sideBeautiful crescent beach, with a lovely view of "Puff the Magic Dragon" mountain. Great snorkeling, and beautiful sunrises. May be dangerous in winter.
LumahaiNorth sideVery pretty beach, where they filmed South Pacific. Extremely dangerous winter.
PolihaleWest side17 solid miles of uninterrupted sand. Fairly remote, and accessible only via dirt and sand road, so 4WD is preferred. Unswimmable most of the year, but the area called Queens Pond is safe all year round. Since it's so huge, you could easily find a secluded spot. Great view of the south side of Na Pali, with amazing sunsets.
Queen's BathNorth sideThis is a rocky beach by the cliffs under Princeville. Very cool during the summer, when you could swim in a rock pool with the fish, but absolutely deadly during the winter (people die there all the time).
KalalauNorth sideOne of the most beautiful beaches in the entire world. Unfortunately, it's only accessible via one of the most difficult and most dangerous hikes in the world, the Kalalau Trail.
HonopūNorth sideAnother one of the top ten beaches in the world. The only way to get there is by swimming - from Kalalau beach :o!
Hanalei BayNorth sideA beautiful crescent beach with wonderful views. Mediocre snorkeling, but safe even in the winter. Very predictable waves, so this is the top spot for learning to surf or paddle. Breathtaking sunrises and sunsets.
SecretNorth sideRelatively secluded beach, and needs a bit of a hike to get there.
LydgateEast sideA fully protected beach, with pretty good snorkeling. Great for little kids, but is usually very busy.
NawiliwiliEast sideBoring beach, but the park of the the side is a nice place to stop for lunch and watch the kitesurfers.
Kapa'aEast sideAnother relatively boring beach, but a nice place to have lunch if you're in Kapa'a.

Hiking:
There are a tremendous amount of great hikes on Kauai. Check the Kauai Revealed book for detailed info on all of them, with maps, difficulty ratings, etc. These are just a few which are discussed in this thread:

NameAreaComments
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Hike 1Area 1Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat volutpat. Ut wisi enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exerci tation ullamcorper suscipit lobortis nisl ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat.
Hike 2Area 2Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat volutpat. Ut wisi enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exerci tation ullamcorper suscipit lobortis nisl ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat.

Other activities:

ActivityComments
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Helicopter toursEasily the most expensive activity on Kauai, and easily the most amazing. You get to see otherwise inaccessible places - among others, you fly into Waimea Canyon, along the stunning Na Pali coast, and into the crater of the extinct Mount Waiʻaleʻale, now the wettest place on earth. It's an experience that could simply not be matched. Blue Hawaiian is the most popular and usually recommended. Jack Harter also flies amazing doors-off tours, which are wet, windy, and exhilirating :D.
Powered hang glidingThis is a unique flight lesson (counts a flying time for a pilot's license) in what's basically a motorized tricycle with wings. Supposed to be tremendous fun. Offered by Birds in Paradise.
Waimea CanyonLorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat volutpat. Ut wisi enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exerci tation ullamcorper suscipit lobortis nisl ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat.
Kalalau Valley overlookLorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat volutpat. Ut wisi enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exerci tation ullamcorper suscipit lobortis nisl ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat.
Hanalei Valley overlook
Kayaking
Biking
ATVing
Horseback riding
Ziplining
Cruises
4 Wheel Driving

Shopping:
  • Costco in Lihue has some kosher food, as well as the cheapest gas on the island
  • Wal-Mart, also in Lihue, also has some kosher food

« Last edited by cgr on February 24, 2022, 09:16:59 PM »

Author Topic: Kauai, HI Master Thread  (Read 820718 times)

Offline 250624

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Kauai, HI Master Thread
« Reply #60 on: May 04, 2011, 09:05:03 PM »
Hi Dan ,
Maybe you can help me .
I wanted to take my wife to Kauai(or any other islands ) after 30 yrs , I have only 5 days Sun to Friday Am going from EWR .I'd like to leave 6/12 -6/16 or back early Fri .
I checked Cont&AA and tickets were 140k pionts .
I have Cont 85k,  AA 77k & Amex 57k . Can you help me figure this out .

Thank you

Offline aussiebochur

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 05, 2011, 04:49:13 AM »
Didnt mention if you want Bussiness or Coach.

However, flexibility is the key. Search segment by segment instead of just putting origin and destination.

For example, on the outbound you could go,
6:10 a.m. Sun., Jun. 12, 2011 New York/Newark, NJ (EWR - Liberty
Arrive: 9:22 a.m.  Sun., Jun. 12, 2011 San Francisco, CA (SFO)
Spend the day in San Fransisco
Depart: 4:35 p.m. Sun., Jun. 12, 2011 San Francisco, CA (SFO)   
Arrive: 7:02 p.m.  Sun., Jun. 12, 2011 Kona, HI (KOA)

If flexible enough, you shouldnt have a problem getting flights.
Enjoy!

Offline 250624

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 05, 2011, 08:37:23 AM »
Thank you.from some post I understood that a flight should be 35k points round trip but when I tried too book it was one way, I'm I paying the right number of points which is 140kfor two ppl?    Also on my CC is there a way to book hotel for points? Thank

Offline aussiebochur

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 05, 2011, 05:24:07 PM »
Thank you.from some post I understood that a flight should be 35k points round trip but when I tried too book it was one way, I'm I paying the right number of points which is 140kfor two ppl?    Also on my CC is there a way to book hotel for points? Thank
CO is 40/80 for Coach/Business. AA is 45/75 for Coach/Business.

The 35k youre seeing is for standard awards (higher price). You want saveraward, unless you want to fly direct when only standard is available.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #64 on: May 05, 2011, 05:29:17 PM »
Also AA is 35 off peak.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline aussiebochur

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 05, 2011, 05:55:47 PM »
Also AA is 35 off peak.
Off peak is Jan 12-Mar 8 and Aug 22-Dec 15...

Offline @jack123

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 14, 2011, 10:21:28 PM »
any tips for good discounts on blue hawaiin helicopter tours in kauai? thanks

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #67 on: May 14, 2011, 10:27:52 PM »
any tips for good discounts on blue hawaiin helicopter tours in kauai? thanks
Book online at their site. 
Try to get seated in the front 2 seats (not the back 4)
You'll have a blast either way though!!!
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline @jack123

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 15, 2011, 07:15:35 PM »
thanks...is it possible to have grand hyatt book the tour and pay the hotel with hyatt GCs or no? i thought ive heard you could, but  a friend said they didnt let him...has anyone been able to do that?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 15, 2011, 07:16:29 PM »
thanks...is it possible to have grand hyatt book the tour and pay the hotel with hyatt GCs or no? i thought ive heard you could, but  a friend said they didnt let him...has anyone been able to do that?

I did it, but it's YMMV.

Offline @jack123

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 15, 2011, 09:40:03 PM »
thanks. any particular room recommendations at grand hyatt there? (will have suite through hyatt card as diamond). and at st regis princeville (prob. staying there one night, on points, as plat..)? thanks

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 15, 2011, 09:42:09 PM »
thanks. any particular room recommendations at grand hyatt there? (will have suite through hyatt card as diamond). and at st regis princeville (prob. staying there one night, on points, as plat..)? thanks
Haven't been there since the renovation.  Try to get an ocean-view suite obviously though.

Offline SPGCont

• View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Fairmont Platinum (Life), Alaska Air MVP, Delta Silver, AA, United
« Reply #72 on: May 24, 2011, 05:34:54 PM »
Any advice regarding car rentals? seems really expensive over summer.

Offline Mocha

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 26, 2011, 10:20:44 AM »
anyone have any idea how one can get diamond benefits at the Hyatt with the 2 night certs from chase? would love to stay here but i cant do without a kitchenette as Dan said he had one in his suite.

Offline kivabb

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 31, 2011, 04:31:48 PM »
Dan, you wrote in your trip report "4WD Miloli Ridge Road (Kauai Revealed, Pg. 196) Stunning view of Na Pali without the 12 mile hike. 4WD car is required though…4/5" and you also recommended convertible?

Which car did you get? Or did you switch?

Defenitely want to see view of Na Pali but not sure if my wife will want to do that hike.

Offline Jet1

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 31, 2011, 05:24:13 PM »
If your reffering to to getting to Polihale State Beach then officially you need 4WD. But everyone drives there in their cars. SO I think thats why Dan says take a convertible which is more fun and convenient the rest of the trip.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 31, 2011, 10:40:24 PM »
I've been to Kauai 3 times and included experiences from different trips in that report.
You can definitely switch vehicles though.  Especially at the GH Kauai which has an Avis on location.

Offline kivabb

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 06, 2011, 02:31:54 PM »
Dan, you wrote in your trip report that Waimea Canyon was a 2/5, especially with the 4WD option on the beach.  Was that because you were sore or because the view was just as good at the beach?

If it was just as good, any other "must do"s in Waimea Canyon ?

Thanks
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 03:20:26 PM by kivabb »

Offline @jack123

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 06, 2011, 04:13:38 PM »
is it still possible to get hyatt GC's anywhere? having trouble finding them, costco.com customer service says most stores stopped restocking them. anyone know of a costco that has them? possible that would be willing to ship me some? thanks

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 06, 2011, 05:01:32 PM »
Dan, you wrote in your trip report that Waimea Canyon was a 2/5, especially with the 4WD option on the beach.  Was that because you were sore or because the view was just as good at the beach?

If it was just as good, any other "must do"s in Waimea Canyon ?

Thanks
Waimea canyon is incredible and a must-see...I never said that was 2/5.
The 12 mile hike was even more incredible, but I gave that a 2/5 because of how sore it made me afterward.  Perhaps if you are in better shape than I you may have enjoyed it more.