Author Topic: Oahu, HI Master Thread  (Read 106499 times)

Offline Cbs

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: HHonors Gold, Delta Diamond Medallion, AA Platinum Pro
Re: Oahu, HI Master Thread
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2013, 04:49:37 PM »
Why are you spending so much time on Oahu instead of Kauai or Maui??

Anyway
-Manoa Falls is nice, maybe 1-2 hours.  I hiked a little past the falls into the bamboo forest.
-Hanauma Bay is overcrowded and you have to watch a video about preserving the coral.  It's overrated, though Oahu isn't known for great snorkeling.
-Diamond head is 1-2 hours, nice view at the top.
-Pearl Harbor can have long lines. allow 2-3 hours.
-H3 and Pali are nice
-I'd skip the Luau.
-Waikiki is worth a walk down I suppose.  There are probably better sunset spots.
-I think dole is for kids. CMIIW.
-Jetskiing on Banzai pipeline was great

-I'd do the kayaking trip to the sandbar that I wrote about in my TR over some of the stuff you have on your list.
Thanx for your input. Just landed and so far birds eye view and weather is gorgeous

I think I'll skip dole Plantation and maybe less time at Hanauma Bay. And do the kayaking. The problem is that Thursday is a fast day and I'm trying to make it simple stuff not to sweat out.
Friday for North Shore. And only Wednesday and little bit of Monday unless I take a few hours on purim

Which bay did u leave from to kayaking? And how long did it take.

Offline lfas25

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2013, 05:02:20 PM »
Thanx for your input. Just landed and so far birds eye view and weather is gorgeous

I think I'll skip dole Plantation and maybe less time at Hanauma Bay. And do the kayaking. The problem is that Thursday is a fast day and I'm trying to make it simple stuff not to sweat out.
Friday for North Shore. And only Wednesday and little bit of Monday unless I take a few hours on purim

Which bay did u leave from to kayaking? And how long did it take.

Only input I have is about Pearl Harbor, I was there for 5 hours and didn't finish everything to see there. Depending on how much detail you enjoy depends on the length of time it will take you. If you go early in the morning you have a better chance of going to the site as they are limited tickets. Also they do not allow any bags on site you need to check it in for a small fee (if I remember it was about $3.00).
I only paid 15% by switching to dansdeals

Offline Rivky

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2013, 05:12:24 PM »
I am confused about Pearl Harbor tours and stuff. Do I need to do a tour? I do not want to spend more then 3 hours there. Any recommendations or ideas?

Offline lfas25

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2013, 05:17:41 PM »
I am confused about Pearl Harbor tours and stuff. Do I need to do a tour? I do not want to spend more then 3 hours there. Any recommendations or ideas?

No you do not need to go with a tour.

If you want to go out to the memorial (The Arizona) You need to get there early, as I mentioned there is limited amount of tickets. They show you a video about the attack for about 45 min, and then you go on a boat out to the memorial.

There are several Museums on premises as well, including the USS Bowfin (submarine). Off site there is an Airplane Museum and another ship that served in WWII.

There is a fee to go to the off-site exhibits.
They do not allow any bags in the park, so you need to drop it off at a check in area for a small fee (I think it was $3).

Offline Cbs

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2013, 11:37:02 AM »
Only input I have is about Pearl Harbor, I was there for 5 hours and didn't finish everything to see there. Depending on how much detail you enjoy depends on the length of time it will take you. If you go early in the morning you have a better chance of going to the site as they are limited tickets. Also they do not allow any bags on site you need to check it in for a small fee (if I remember it was about $3.00).
what's considered early?

Offline Cbs

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2013, 11:44:04 AM »
Why are you spending so much time on Oahu instead of Kauai or Maui??
A number of reasons why.
money - trying to keep to a budget and flights would've been more and hotel.

Time - it would be harder time wise. I wanted to see a little bit of Oahu and spend purim here so it wouldn't make sense to go out for a day or 2 to those islands and have in mind tomorrow is a  fast so hiking would be an issue.

So I figured I'd do ohau properly and see everything and come back another time for the other islands in a proper way!

Offline Devorah

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2013, 11:49:19 AM »
Any recommendations for what to see/do with kids (ages 18 months-9 yrs)?  We will be in HNL for 1+ days on our way back from Australia.

Offline lfas25

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2013, 12:41:19 PM »
what's considered early?

I got there at about 8 am and got a ticket for the 8:30 trip, but right after I got there many tour buses and groups showed up so I'm assuming they filled the next couple of trips.

Offline Elgnt

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2013, 09:14:06 PM »
I think both the Sheraton and the Westin are problematic, but I think the Royal Hawaiian is OK.

Just got back Thanks to Dan and all DDF Members. I will post TR later but just wanted to let you know Royal Hawaiian does have sensors in stairwells. We however were on the first floor of the hotel which is accessed through the main entrance of the hotel so no sensor issue as the lights always stay on and had no problem. It is about a 20 minute walk to the chabad in HNL from there. I would definitely stay there again. Rooms aren't so special for 20,000 spg points but the hotel grounds are gorgeous and very secluded.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2013, 09:17:20 PM »
Awesome! Sounds that's the place to be for shabbos then.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Elgnt

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 21, 2013, 09:19:44 PM »

I was at pearl harbor last friday. There were no tickets left for the Arizona Memorial but the Navy seal that runs the boat told us they always have extra room on each boat you just have to wait to let everyon else board first. He was right there was room and let us go out with the group for free. YMMV

Offline Cbs

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2013, 02:30:02 AM »
I was at pearl harbor last friday. There were no tickets left for the Arizona Memorial but the Navy seal that runs the boat told us they always have extra room on each boat you just have to wait to let everyon else board first. He was right there was room and let us go out with the group for free. YMMV
AZ memorial is always free.
i was there today and we came about 10:50 am and we got on to the tour that was at 12:30 - so we went to Missouri battleship first.

Offline Cbs

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 28, 2013, 01:12:43 PM »
TRIP REPORT:

Before the Trip - i went to Ralphs, Western Kosher, and Schwartz's Bakery in LA and loaded up a full suitcase of food. - snacks, meat, cheese…..
Tuesday - Good start - i got upgraded to business on AA from LAX. Made sure to get a window seat so that when i land i can see the beautiful view and take some nice pics. it was an AMAZING view. Clear blue water and quarrels etc…
Picked up my Genesis at Hertz for the week rented with 2500 points. Went to Chabad to arrange the apt we rented from them and headed straight to Manoa Falls - i will list what we did in order

Tuesday
Manoa Falls - 20 min drive from Waikiki. A real nice hike especially when its drizzling a bit which happens often. and if it does it'll be a nice falls. Recommendable to wear shorts or a bathing suit while hiking the 30 min up because u may get all dirty from mud. If you wanna be crazy like us you can bring a towel and jump into the water (u have to go over the Do Not Enter line) and see the falls from up close. If you have a waterproof camera like we did then id say bring that over an SLR on this hike. - about 15 min hike down
Waikiki Beach - A really nice view of Honolulu buildings and a beautiful place to watch Sunset. the sand isn't so nice, its quite rocky, and the water was cold and full of rocks and we cut our feet going in. Bring Goggles and u may be able to see some colorful fish as well. Then just drove around, got the feeling of the place and went to Walmart, got a 2 one-time use grills for $2 each and had a nice BBQ at the end of Waikiki Beach where theres a small park on the water.

Wednesday - Went to the Minyan at Chabad at 8am and started our journey to the other end of the island - big day ahead:
Kane'ohe - Drove down the Pali Highway, stopped at some Beautiful view points to take pics, and continued to the most beautiful and blue water beach I've ever seen. Went to a nearby store to rent a boogie board for $12 for 4 hours but the waves were shvach and we just hung out in the sand and hot sun amazed at the color of the water.
Lanikai - a few min down the road from Kane'ohe is a connecting beach which is VERY nice as well, and its quiet (at least when we went)
North Shore - then started hour and half drive to the north. we stopped at a few diff View points -
Chinaman's Hat - by a really nice park off the highway. you can't miss it.
 and another place that had some nice decent waves. and a natural hole in the a big rock.
Waipio beach -  very nice place to watch some waves usually - by us the water was still.
Banzai Pipline - we only saw 3 ft waves :( we came a week too late but we saw a nice sunset. then drove back down to Honolulu/Waikiki area
Waikiki Park - 2nd night in a row, went to walmart to pick up $2 grills and made a nice BBQ - before the fast!!

Thursday - Taanis Esther -
Pearl Harbor - After the minyan Shachris at Chabad we went straight to Pearl Harbor which is about 30 min away from Chabad. it took a few minutes to find parking because it was packed. I would recommend to prob book tickets in advance if u want to go straight in. We only did the big Missouri Battleship boat -$22  and didn't have to wait for that. it was really nice. We got so carried away that we did realize there was the whole bottom of the boat which is more interesting and we ran to do that and catch the next bus back to the main site. - We then went to the Arizona Memorial, - FREE-  and you watch a video before which is really nice and explains everything.
Chinatown - while driving out of PH someone told me that he saw Hawaii Five 0 shooting in china town, so we went down there and watched some live scenes which were pretty cool to see - especially for a fan of that show :)
Diamond Head - $5 entry per car and we started the trek up without water since it was a fast day! - Thank Gd it wasn't too hot, and it drizzled so we didn't dehydrate. it takes about 35 min to climb up or so and shorter to go down. It SO worth it. Amazing views from up there - you can see the whole waikiki and hononlulu + more. Then headed to airport to drop off a friend that we met and stopped by Hertz since we were board of our car and got a Buick Lacrosse. (and extra gas :) )

Friday - Drove down towards south
Hanaumau Bay - $1 parking / $7 Entry to bay / and you can rent snorkel gear at the beach. we got the Full package for $12 and they take CC . Unbelievable Snorkeling. the whole way down to the bay it was drizzling. when we got there we took some nice pics (despite the grey clouds) and we decided to go in to snorkel even though it was grey day. While entering the sun cleared to Blue, until we got out and then started raining again! - Before entering everyone must watch a 7 min video for safety. The water was a bit wavy so the fish weren't stable but there were still plenty of beautiful reefs…
Koko Head - Crazy Hike. make sure you are in shape for this one. - we asked the attendant at Hanauma Bay how to get there and she said she is not at liberty to say since its not an official Hike but many ppl do it. - its a few minutes away from the Bay and it looks easier then it is. its hundreds of steps to climb till the peak. took us 40 min (incl. stopping to rest a bit) but the View is Gorgeous ! make sure to take at least a big bottle or 2 small bottles with you. and DONT go if its raining or drizzling. you can slip and…..Anyways, the way down started drizzling so we quickly - safely left the peak and it stopped half way down. took about 20 min the way down.
Halona Blow Hole - a bit further down the road (btw that road is gorgeous to drive down) is a blow hole where the waves hit the rocks and on one of them theres a hole so it shoots the water up. pretty cool. Then we zipped back to Chabad to get ready for Shabbos!

Friday Night - was very nice. Friday night meal at Chabad with singing and lots of Lchaim with all the young energized Israelis (and us  :) )
Shabbos -  also nice. had a meal at chabad with singing and lchaim.
Motzei Shabbos - Purim - We had a great party for all the Israelis that live there (or selling dead sea products at the malls) and there was plenty of food, drinks and Lchaim
Sunday - PURIM day - A bit hungover from the night before we got up and went for Round 2! Made some Lchaim mixes and headed out to the Massive mall across from Chabad (biggest outdoor mall in America) to find Israelis, put teffilin on them and Bring the happiness of the Chag to them with drinks, graggers, and costumes. - then Came back to chabad to help set up for the party which was more family oriented.

Monday - Went to the airport on the way to the H3 highway and swapped for a convertible
H3 Highway - A really Beautiful Highway that crosses over to the other side of Ohau. Amazing Views of mountains and the Blue Water from far.
Pali Lookout - A really nice lookout thats worth the 25 min drive from Waikiki to see. $3 parking fee. We went on a really Windy day so be careful that your hats, kippas don't fly away or that you don't when u stand on the ledge to take a pic (like i did!) Drove back on Pali Highway which is also very nice, and headed to the Airport -
Make sure you fly out of Oahu in the day and take a window seat. The view of Honolulu and the Water is the coolest view I've ever seen - clear turquoise and Blue water - Breathtaking!

Such an awesome time we had, now to The Big Island for a crazier experience :)

See that thread for the TR.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 02:13:29 PM by Cbs »

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 28, 2013, 01:34:44 PM »
TRIP REPORT:

Before the Trip - i went to Ralphs, Western Kosher, and Schwartz's Bakery in LA and loaded up a full suitcase of food. - snacks, meat, cheese…..
Tuesday - Good start - i got upgraded to business on AA from LAX. Made sure to get a window seat so that when i land i can see the beautiful view and take some nice pics. it was an AMAZING view. Clear blue water and quarrels etc…
Picked up my Genesis at Hertz for the week rented with 2500 points. Went to Chabad to arrange the apt we rented from them and headed straight to Manoa Falls - i will list what we did in order

Tuesday
Manoa Falls - 20 min drive from Waikiki. A real nice hike especially when its drizzling a bit which happens often. and if it does it'll be a nice falls. Recommendable to wear shorts or a bathing suit while hiking the 30 min up because u may get all dirty from mud. If you wanna be crazy like us you can bring a towel and jump into the water (u have to go over the Do Not Enter line) and see the falls from up close. If you have a waterproof camera like we did then id say bring that over an SLR on this hike. - about 15 min hike down
Waikiki Beach - A really nice view of Honolulu buildings and a beautiful place to watch Sunset. the sand isn't so nice, its quite rocky, and the water was cold and full of rocks and we cut our feet going in. Bring Goggles and u may be able to see some colorful fish as well. Then just drove around, got the feeling of the place and went to Walmart, got a 2 one-time use grills for $2 each and had a nice BBQ at the end of Waikiki Beach where theres a small park on the water.

Wednesday - Went to the Minyan at Chabad at 8am and started our journey to the other end of the island - big day ahead:
Kane'ohe - Drove down the Pali Highway, stopped at some Beautiful view points to take pics, and continued to the most beautiful and blue water beach I've ever seen. Went to a nearby store to rent a boogie board for $12 for 4 hours but the waves were shvach and we just hung out in the sand and hot sun amazed at the color of the water.
Lanikai - a few min down the road from Kane'ohe is a connecting beach which is VERY nice as well, and its quiet (at least when we went)
North Shore - then started hour and half drive to the north. we stopped at a few diff View points -
Chinaman's Hat - by a really nice park off the highway. you can't miss it.
 and another place that had some nice decent waves. and a natural hole in the a big rock.
Waipio beach -  very nice place to watch some waves usually - by us the water was still.
Banzai Pipline - we only saw 3 ft waves :( we came a week too late but we saw a nice sunset. then drove back down to Honolulu/Waikiki area
Waikiki Park - 2nd night in a row, went to walmart to pick up $2 grills and made a nice BBQ - before the fast!!

Thursday - Taanis Esther -
Pearl Harbor - After the minyan Shachris at Chabad we went straight to Pearl Harbor which is about 30 min away from Chabad. it took a few minutes to find parking because it was packed. I would recommend to prob book tickets in advance if u want to go straight in. We only did the big Missouri Battleship boat -$22  and didn't have to wait for that. it was really nice. We got so carried away that we did realize there was the whole bottom of the boat which is more interesting and we ran to do that and catch the next bus back to the main site. - We then went to the Arizona Memorial, - FREE-  and you watch a video before which is really nice and explains everything.
Chinatown - while driving out of PH someone told me that he saw Hawaii Five 0 shooting in china town, so we went down there and watched some live scenes which were pretty cool to see - especially for a fan of that show :)
Diamond Head - $5 entry per car and we started the trek up without water since it was a fast day! - Thank Gd it wasn't too hot, and it drizzled so we didn't dehydrate. it takes about 35 min to climb up or so and shorter to go down. It SO worth it. Amazing views from up there - you can see the whole waikiki and hononlulu + more. Then headed to airport to drop off a friend that we met and stopped by Hertz since we were board of our car and got a Buick Lacrosse. (and extra gas :) )

Friday - Drove down towards south
Hanaumau Bay - $1 parking / $7 Entry to bay / and you can rent snorkel gear at the beach. we got the Full package for $12 and they take CC . Unbelievable Snorkeling. the whole way down to the bay it was drizzling. when we got there we took some nice pics (despite the grey clouds) and we decided to go in to snorkel even though it was grey day. While entering the sun cleared to Blue, until we got out and then started raining again! - Before entering everyone must watch a 7 min video for safety. The water was a bit wavy so the fish weren't stable but there were still plenty of beautiful reefs…
Koko Head - Crazy Hike. make sure you are in shape for this one. - we asked the attendant at Hanauma Bay how to get there and she said she is not at liberty to say since its not an official Hike but many ppl do it. - its a few minutes away from the Bay and it looks easier then it is. its hundreds of steps to climb till the peak. took us 40 min (incl. stopping to rest a bit) but the View is Gorgeous ! make sure to take at least a big bottle or 2 small bottles with you. and DONT go if its raining or drizzling. you can slip and…..Anyways, the way down started drizzling so we quickly - safely left the peak and it stopped half way down. took about 20 min the way down.
Halona Blow Hole - a bit further down the road (btw that road is gorgeous to drive down) is a blow hole where the waves hit the rocks and on one of them theres a hole so it shoots the water up. pretty cool. Then we zipped back to Chabad to get ready for Shabbos!

Friday Night - was very nice. Friday night meal at Chabad with singing and lots of Lchaim with all the young energized Israelis (and us  :) )
Shabbos

Nice! Thanks for posting- any chance we can get some pics included?
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline Cbs

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 28, 2013, 02:14:30 PM »
Nice! Thanks for posting- any chance we can get some pics included?
ill post some when i have a chance. any specific things you want to see?

and go back to my post i edited it and updated from shabbs till tuesday on bottom since it got cut out i saw

Offline E-MAN

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 22, 2013, 03:26:52 PM »
Looking for a nice hotel to stay at for two night over shabbos.
Has anyone stayed at either of the Sheratons? Any problems with automatic sensors on shabbos?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #56 on: April 22, 2013, 03:38:09 PM »
Looking for a nice hotel to stay at for two night over shabbos.
Has anyone stayed at either of the Sheratons? Any problems with automatic sensors on shabbos?
There's only 1 Sheraton and it does have sensors in the staircases as does the Westin.
There's also a 4 points that has really bad reviews, not sure about sensors there.

The Royal Hawaiian has rooms on the ground floor where you can avoid the sensor issue.  The Westin may have some rooms accessible without sensors but you'd have to PUTPAC.
IIRC the Hyatt doesn't have sensors but I'd PUTPAC there as well.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline E-MAN

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 22, 2013, 05:22:56 PM »
There's only 1 Sheraton and it does have sensors in the staircases as does the Westin.
The Sheraton Princess Kaiulani and Sheraton Waikiki are the same hotel?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 22, 2013, 05:26:55 PM »
The Sheraton Princess Kaiulani and Sheraton Waikiki are the same hotel?
The Princess is the 4 points rubbish I was talking about.

Offline ganizzy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 25, 2013, 12:28:56 AM »
can someone help me with some q's

does pearl harbor cost or not? do i need to make advance reservations? how much time should i allot?

looking at info for hanauma bay. its $7.50 entrance fee. if we r not going to be snorkeling, is it worth going? or is it like any other beach? it says it is closed tuesday is that the entire beach, or just the snorkeling?

thank you