Author Topic: Oahu, HI Master Thread  (Read 106518 times)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: Oahu, HI Master Thread
« Reply #60 on: July 25, 2013, 12:30:50 AM »
can someone help me with some q's

1.does pearl harbor cost or not?
2. do i need to make advance reservations?
3. how much time should i allot?
4. if we r not going to be snorkeling, is it worth going?
1. No.
2. No
3. Show up when they open otherwise long lines. Tickets are first come first served. If you go when they open allow 90 minutes or so.
4. Absolutely not.  Go to any windward or north shore beach for free, far better.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline E-MAN

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 25, 2013, 10:51:43 AM »
can someone help me with some q's

does pearl harbor cost or not? do i need to make advance reservations? how much time should i allot?

looking at info for hanauma bay. its $7.50 entrance fee. if we r not going to be snorkeling, is it worth going? or is it like any other beach? it says it is closed tuesday is that the entire beach, or just the snorkeling?

thank you

You can make reservations for Pearl Harbor online so you don't have to wait in line when you get there, but you usually have to do that several months in advance.

Offline ganizzy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 25, 2013, 10:57:32 AM »
Thanks

Offline Cbs

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: HHonors Gold, Delta Diamond Medallion, AA Platinum Pro
« Reply #63 on: July 25, 2013, 11:01:45 AM »
There are some attractions at pearl harbor that cost. like the ship i think was $22. - i wrote in my trip report.

and @dan yes the north shore and the west side are much nicer but the snorkeling is pretty nice on south

and hey if you an intense cool hike. go to koko head. - its officialy illegal to hike but everyone hikes it. it took me 40 min up and 20 down, it straight up and milliions of steps!! stretch before and take water

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #64 on: July 25, 2013, 12:14:23 PM »
There are some attractions at pearl harbor that cost. like the ship i think was $22. - i wrote in my trip report.
I just did the actual memorial which is free.

and @dan yes the north shore and the west side are much nicer but the snorkeling is pretty nice on south
He didn't want to go snorkeling.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline lfas25

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 25, 2013, 02:16:27 PM »
Thanks

Keep in mind at Pearl Harbor, they do not allow you to bring any bags. There is a stand there where you could check it in (for a few dollars I don't remember how much)
I only paid 15% by switching to dansdeals

Offline yos9694

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 01, 2013, 08:24:53 PM »
Keep in mind at Pearl Harbor, they do not allow you to bring any bags. There is a stand there where you could check it in (for a few dollars I don't remember how much)

Everything is on the internet. A bag check is $3 per. Parking is free. Reserve advance tickets by paying $1.50 per ticket, well worth it in my opinion.

The link to the site with all the info is below- but don't bother clicking it until the government morons stop trying to get negative attention with their shutdown.
"Because of the federal government shutdown, all national parks are closed and National Park Service webpages are not operating. "

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CDkQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nps.gov%2Fvalr%2Fparknews%2Fpearl-harbor-historic-sites-offer-online-reservations.htm&ei=gmZLUv4YhMTgA_zngZAI&usg=AFQjCNFmXBm0SETpRXQ_bMilCToOHu_N0Q&sig2=HPzblAUfl_KYlFFzN5tVng&bvm=bv.53371865,d.dmg

Offline yos9694

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 06, 2013, 01:06:10 PM »
As far as Shabbos hotels go, I wanted to add another data point. We stayed at The Equus, which is a boutique hotel (so no points options other than "refund" points). The door to the room had electronic locks, which was the only issue (easy enough to deal with), and everything else was perfect. No automatic doors. 24/7 access to the stairwells. Lights in the stairwells are always on, no motion sensors. Top floor is 10th, but only 8 flights up from the lobby (shorter flights than your average NY apartment building). Walk to Chabad.... no more than 5 minutes. Hotel staff was great and helped us with our "Shabbos issues" without making us feel weird  ;D.

Price was not bad either... we got the suite, which was well worth it. The location of the hotel is the obvious reason for the low pricing of this place- it's at the edge of Waikiki and most views of the ocean are blocked by other hotels (though we had a partial ocean view and were able to watch sunset in entirety from our room, so I was happy enough). I was more than happy to be far from the hub of Waikiki as I did not plan to spend anytime in that overcrowded strip of sand and tourists. I was only there because of Shabbos and this served perfectly.

Offline MendyP

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 30, 2013, 10:23:14 PM »
Trip Report

I don't think I ever posted my trip report from Hawai'i from Jan 2012 and figured I'd do so. The first half is in the Big Island thread, the second half is here:

Friday, Jan 20th
•   Go! Mokulele Flight #1011 from Kona – Honolulu, 7:55am–8:35am
•   Oahu Kosher – got Shabbat food; The Liquor Collection – got Kosher wine;
•   Dole Pineapple Plantation (As is noted all over the internet, this is a big tourist trap, but fun to visit. Pineapples are a fortune here.)
•   Waimea Bay; Banzai Pipeline; (Beautiful beaches! Big waves!)
•   Hotel: Turtle Bay Resort, Kahuku (Incredible)

Shabbat, Jan 21st
•   Pool/Beach/Relaxing over Shabbat
•   Saturday night: HA! Breath of Life Show @ Polynesian Cultural Center (7:30-9:00) (Entertaining. Felt like an off-broadway show)
•   Hotel: Turtle Bay Resort, Kahuku

Sunday, Jan 22nd
•   Pearl Harbor – USS Arizona Memorial (75 min) (Informative and well worth it)
•   Hanauma Bay snorkeling (Closed Tuesdays) (First time snorkeling...wow! Bring a waterproof disposable camera for some great pics)
•   Sunday Showcase @ Waikiki Beach Walk (free shows starting 5pm) / Torch lighting ceremony @ Kuhi’o Beach, music, hula @ sunset time (Entertaining, watching hula dancing, etc)
•   Hotel: Outrigger Luana, Waikiki (Priceline: $156/night)

Monday, Jan 23rd
•   Drive Tantalus Drive – Round Top Drive (Gorgeous homes, great view from up above Honolulu)
•   Polynesian Cultural Center Day Experience (12pm-6pm); Drive the H-3 (Beautiful drive, fun day)
•   Lai’e Point (Beautiful scenic point)
•   Hotel: Outrigger Luana, Waikiki

Tuesday, Jan 24th
•   Diamond Head (Didn't end up climbing)
•   Explore Waikiki, Beach (Lots of activities here. Busy beach)
•   AA Flight #8 (HNL-DFW) 6:20pm-5:40am (mileage tix)
•   AA Flight #704 (DFW-LGA) 7:00am-11:20am

Offline sam28

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 30, 2013, 11:11:07 PM »
thanks for the nice trip info.

Offline arid

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 31, 2013, 12:42:10 PM »
Hey y'all
last summer the wife and i went on a first class/5 star vacation to TBI and Maui (all from miles etc learnt on this site, btw). i got in tix for us with the kids this time on the delta glitch.
i'd love for this to be a cheaper trip. hotels seem VERY expensive all around. especially near chabad. any hotel/apartment nuggets anyone has to share? tips for cheaper accomodations? car rentals are also quite a bit. i did costco travel on the other 2 islands and they were cheaper than priceline (where ive done quite well in the past).
it just seems like it's gonna set me back a lot. anyone travel to oahu on a budget? and with kids?

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 31, 2013, 12:47:09 PM »
Hey y'all
last summer the wife and i went on a first class/5 star vacation to TBI and Maui (all from miles etc learnt on this site, btw). i got in tix for us with the kids this time on the delta glitch.
i'd love for this to be a cheaper trip. hotels seem VERY expensive all around. especially near chabad. any hotel/apartment nuggets anyone has to share? tips for cheaper accomodations? car rentals are also quite a bit. i did costco travel on the other 2 islands and they were cheaper than priceline (where ive done quite well in the past).
it just seems like it's gonna set me back a lot. anyone travel to oahu on a budget? and with kids?

Try VRBO?
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline arid

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 31, 2013, 12:56:44 PM »
also, the reason we didnt go to oahu last summer is becasue it basically seemed like there was very little there that i couldnt get in cancun, miami beach or anywhere on the islands south of florida. so we chose to do OGG and KOA to see amazing things like volcanos, mana keaua,  Haleakala Crater sunrise, red/green/black sand beaches, snorkling with 12 foot manta rays OR THE HIGHLIGHT OF THE WHOLE TRIP OF A 2 HOUR HIKE UP AND DOWN STREAMS TO GET TO WAIPIO VALLEY TO SEE A BREATHTAKING 1000+ ft WATERFALL   etc.
what does oahu have that i cant find anywhere else in the world?????

Offline shmebeble

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 31, 2013, 10:08:23 PM »
also, the reason we didnt go to oahu last summer is becasue it basically seemed like there was very little there that i couldnt get in cancun, miami beach or anywhere on the islands south of florida. so we chose to do OGG and KOA to see amazing things like volcanos, mana keaua,  Haleakala Crater sunrise, red/green/black sand beaches, snorkling with 12 foot manta rays OR THE HIGHLIGHT OF THE WHOLE TRIP OF A 2 HOUR HIKE UP AND DOWN STREAMS TO GET TO WAIPIO VALLEY TO SEE A BREATHTAKING 1000+ ft WATERFALL   etc.
what does oahu have that i cant find anywhere else in the world?????
+1 I am going for 4 days so want action packed days. Also which is better: Hyatt Regency or the Sheraton Waikiki? (Ie better value)

Offline Mocha

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 02, 2014, 12:12:47 PM »
Headed to HNL in July and thinking about staying at the Disney resort for a few days (before heading out to GHK). Anyone every stay there? Prices are steep and dno if its worth it if GHK can be had using rewards.

Offline Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 44
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #75 on: January 02, 2014, 04:22:41 PM »
Check out my site for epic kosher adventures: Kosher Horizons

Offline easy48

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 02, 2014, 11:06:08 PM »
Anyone have experience at Aulani?  Worth the price?  Any way to get discounts or promos?

Offline Cbs

• View Profile
  • Programs: HHonors Gold, Delta Diamond Medallion, AA Platinum Pro
« Reply #77 on: January 03, 2014, 10:44:11 AM »

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 03, 2014, 10:56:21 AM »

Offline Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 44
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #79 on: January 03, 2014, 11:04:31 AM »
Thanks guys, anything else I should be adding to these?

Maui trip notes (not just a DansMeals) would be awesome.
Check out my site for epic kosher adventures: Kosher Horizons