Author Topic: Oahu, HI Master Thread  (Read 106776 times)

Offline danR

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Oahu, HI Master Thread
« Reply #100 on: March 09, 2014, 12:41:51 AM »
Has anyone stayed at Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort? I am thinking about staying there for Shabbas as it is the closest to the Chabad.
Was going to get the Citi Hilton card and use the 2 weekend nights for free.

I would appreciate any suggestions

Offline tuvz

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 17, 2014, 11:56:37 AM »
sort of stuck on where to stay in HNL for 6 nights
got a lot of mixed reviews about the Hyatt Regency there
i can probably get a suite upgrade (seems to be just two regular rooms connected) but should i look elsewhere?
perhaps the Hilton Hawaiian Village or even the Regular Hilton wakiki Beach

any ideas please?

Offline dvol

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 02, 2014, 11:12:59 AM »
I'm trying to implement this:
"You can use miles to island-hop. United charges 5,000 for a one-way flight on Hawaiian or IslandAir.  They even allow a free stopover on a round-trip so you can fly Oahu-Kauai-Maui-Oahu for just 10,000 miles."

I've tried to search a multi-destination on united.com going HNL-LIH-OGG-HNL. It lets me select the first flight from HNL-LIH, and then once I get to the second flight from LIH-OGG it won't let me select either flight. When I check that separately as a one-way it does allow me to purchase those same flights for 6k miles.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #103 on: May 02, 2014, 11:16:19 AM »
PUTPAC
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline zsnyde

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 02, 2014, 11:18:37 AM »
United charges 6,000 miles now instead of 5k. increased during the united unfriendly campaign

Offline dvol

• View Profile
« Reply #105 on: May 02, 2014, 11:22:29 AM »
I'm scheduled to fly into HNL 8/17-8/25. Still trying to decide if I should cover either Maui/Kauai from Sunday-Friday and then just stay in Oahu until Monday. Or do I stay Sunday-Wednesday in Maui and then Wed-Mon in Kauai.

Any opinions?

Offline dvol

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 02, 2014, 11:23:35 AM »
United charges 6,000 miles now instead of 5k. increased during the united unfriendly campaign

I realized :(

Offline kangarruu

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 21, 2014, 07:21:35 PM »
What's the consensus on the Hyatt Place Waikiki Beach for $160 (or 12k points) versus the Hyatt Regency Waikiki Beach for $176? We're only going to be in Honolulu overnight and will be back in the air at 8am.

Offline AI-TRAVEL

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 21, 2014, 01:50:48 PM »
Seems the best place to stay for shabbos is the Ala Moana Hotel as chabad is right there. Was wondering if anybody stayed there? Also whats the story with a eruv?

Offline arid

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 22, 2014, 11:08:31 AM »
Seems the best place to stay for shabbos is the Ala Moana Hotel as chabad is right there. Was wondering if anybody stayed there? Also whats the story with a eruv?
and does anyone know how much it generally goes for?

Offline arid

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 24, 2014, 05:47:48 PM »
Has anyone stayed here? Is it any good? Can I redeem SPG or chase here? Anyone have any luck getting upgrades, and if yes, how?
http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p228998vb

:o :P

Offline AI-TRAVEL

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 24, 2014, 05:52:33 PM »
I spoke to chabad there abd they said they can arrange for a goy to push the carriage.

Offline arid

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 30, 2014, 10:54:10 AM »
Anyone have any experience spending shabbos at the Hawaii Prince Hotel Waikiki?
Sensors? Accommodations? etc......

Offline arid

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 13, 2014, 10:13:52 AM »
Ala Moana Hotel no longer accommodating shabbos observers.
below is what the chabad rabbi wrote to me:
"Lately they have changed their policy regarding assisting Shabbat observant guests to enter their hotel rooms (all rooms have electronic keyed entry), so unless you have young children or cannot walk we now suggest two other hotels in close proximity. We have discounted rates at the Hawaii Prince Hotel (closest) and the Modern Honolulu (newer & slightly pricier) - call the hotels directly and ask for the Chabad of Hawaii corporate rate."
he went on to say that you would have to hope that someone will be on the floor to open the door for you or you would have to leave the door unlocked. both are weak options.
The price for 2 days i got:
Ala Moana Hotel: about 320
Prince: about 400
Modern: about 500

Booking with chabad account gets you discounts on parking or resort fee waived, depending on the hotel.

I personally will probably be staying at the Hilton Hawaiian Village which seems to be walkable (15 min according to gmaps). I got a discounted room bec they are doing noisy construction on the premises so i got a "noisy room". However, they only do construction M-F and ill be checking in Friday afternoon and checking out Sunday afternoon so I will not be affected  ;D

I called the manager there and she was very familiar with shabbos accommodations and was more than glad to personally help when i got there

Offline arid

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 13, 2014, 11:37:03 PM »
Is anyone going to be in Oahu anytime soon? Costco has a gift card deal with Podium Raceway. 10 14-lap races for $99. the regular prices are:
1 Race for $25
3 Races for $75
5 Races for $125
14 Lap Race
56″ tall
Adult kart speeds up to 45 miles per hour

So you can get 10 races for $25 less than the regular price.
It isn't exactly an activity that is specific to Oahu but I am not sure what else to do on a late motzi shabbos. if you have a good idea, please respond.

If someone wants to split this with me, please PM. It would be $50 for 5 races.

Offline arid

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 29, 2014, 12:02:11 AM »
Here is the second part to my trip report on Kauai. We got into Kauai on sunday and wanted shabbos with a minyan so we went to HNL for shabbos. My thoughts and doings for the weekend:
Shabbos in Honolulu:
 I again found flights $12 cheaper on Hawaiian Air so i got another $100 credit from Orbitz so it sort of defrayed the $50 cost of 3 bags I paid (less bec i signed up for their mileage program). We got a CTS from Hertz  HNL upgraded from a Maxima.
The second I pulled into traffic in Honolulu, I could feel all the relaxation from Kauai melt away and the tension in my neck and shoulder muscles tense up. Welcome to the big city. Originally we made reservations by the Ala Manoa hotel where the Chabad is. The rabbi told me they don't do shabbos accommodations anymore so the Modern and Prince hotels are the shabbos friendly one’s.
We had a voucher to stay at the Hilton Hawaiian Village. This place was a zoo. It’s like 5 hotels in one with one check/lobby area. Soooo many Japanese. Seriously, I would say about 70% of the whole Waikiki Beach was Asian (not that there’s anything wrong with that #seinfeldreference). I called ahead and the manager said they are familiar with shabbos and would accommodate. They put us in the 5th floor of the Diamond Tower which helped, and the stairwell had no sensors and constantly lit. The hotel was 15-20 min walk away from Chabad. Chabad was $70pp for the whole shabbos, I guess it’s a small price to have all minyanim and hot kosher food in the middle of no where. Motzi Shabbos, we just chilled at one of the hotel bars with nice live music.

Sunday: we were on the north shore getting a surf lesson from Buttons Surf School by 10am. We got lessons from a groupon. It was ok and our instructor, AL,  was eh. The waves were better in a reefy area so we got a little scraped up so maybe bring water shoes just in case. My back and neck were killing by the end from staying in the position and paddling so much. My wife got up on the board a few times and I kinda did once. Happy I did it, but maybe it was just the waves or our particular instructor. Tip: drink a lot before hand and use ALOT of sunscreen.
From there we went to tripadvisors #1 beach in America and #8 in the world, Lanikai Beach. Parking here too was horrific but my NY ninja parking skills once again came in handy and we got a good spot. The water was a special type of green/blue that I've never seen before and the mountains in the background really make it something unforgettable.
From there we went to Pearl Harbor. We weren't gonna be from the first ones there to go on a tour, so we just walked around the plaza, read a few signs, saw a few missiles and left. It just felt too unAmerican to go and not see Pearl Harbor.
Then we went back to the hotel to chill by the pool. We made good use of their hospitality room (reservation required), got yummy chicken sandwiches from Oahu Kosher and off to the airport for our 9:15pm flight.
They were asking for volunteers to be bumped ($400+free night at hotel and economy comfort on next flight) and I imagine the 915 to LAX is always the busiest. Had we not been away from our kids for a week, we probably would have taken the bump offer. Our flight back was uneventful other than getting Kosher for Passover meals on our business class flights from LAX-JFK. Nothing a $50 Delta voucher cannot solve…..

Offline whYME

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 27, 2015, 10:43:08 PM »
How long of a stopover do I need in HNL to see pearl harbor?
(I know the USS Arizona tour is 1:15, but how long would I need total on the ground?)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #117 on: January 28, 2015, 12:53:29 AM »
How long of a stopover do I need in HNL to see pearl harbor?
(I know the USS Arizona tour is 1:15, but how long would I need total on the ground?)
Depends on the lines there, when can you get there?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline whYME

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 28, 2015, 02:14:19 AM »
Depends on the lines there, when can you get there?
I'll be going ITO > LIH, the earliest flight arrives HNL 7:07 am
let's assume I can get passes for the 8:00am Arizona tour, the 10:07 flight out is probably pushing things a bit too much, right? I imagine I should probably go for the 11:03 flight, no?  (IINM the next flight is not until almost 2pm, I definitely don't want to stick around that long)

Offline MendyP

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 04, 2015, 10:13:04 PM »
Flying to HNL in a week. Will be there for a week in a hotel during which I'll be apartment hunting. In general I try and stick to Starwood, however the SPG hotels appear to be a decent walk to Chabad. Any thoughts on where to stay close to Chabad to earn points in a worthwhile program? I saw some mentioned Hilton being close by. Thanks.