Topic Wiki

List of TR's:
JewJitSew, Something Fishy, Cbs, MendyP, PBaruch, mechayamom, 3yummyboys, PBaruch, shulem92, Yehoshua, CGR

Kosher Food/ Restaurants:

Synagogue:

Things to Do:
Lava (find out in advance what the best way is to see the lava):
  • Helicopter
  • Hike/Bike
    • Surface flow - depending on the conditions, it might be possible to hike to surface flow.  Inquire with Kalapana Cultural Tours.
    • Ocean entry - At the present time, there are three ways to access the area where lava is flowing into the ocean: (i) walk the approximately 10 miles round trip over the county emergency access road from Kalapana (you can also walk over the road from the National Park side as well) - UPDATE - you are now restricted to .5 miles from the surface flow due to dumb tourists putting themselves in danger and almost getting killed. As a result, viewing ocean entry from land is not as enjoyable as it used to be; (ii) rent a bicycle from one of several companies and ride to the ocean entry; or (iii) pay for Kalapana Cultural Tours (www.kalapanaculturaltours.com) to drive you most of the way and then hike or bike the remaining approximately 1.8 miles each way. 
  • Boat

Caves/lava tubes
  • Thurston Lava Tube (parking now restricted to 30 minutes)
  • Kaumana
  • ranger-led to?
  • Cave 3
  • Kazamura Caves http://kazumuracave.com/

Mountains
  • CAUTION: after SCUBA diving, wait 24 hours before going up the mountains
  • Mauna Loa
    • Mauna Loa Observatory - if this interests you, contact MLO to arrange tour; they'll ask, "you know we don't do astronomy, right?"; will give you code to gate; one-lane, seriously winding and undulating road
    • ways to summit:
      • day hike from parking lot just before MLO gate
      • minimum 3-5 day hike from Mauna Loa Access Road
  • Mauna Kea
    • visitor center for telescopes in evening
    • to do at summit
      • view sunset
      • Keck Observatory
      • Lake Waiau
      • adz quarry

Waterfalls

Historical/museums

Beaches
  • Waipio
  • Kalapana/Kaimu - black sand; 10(?) minute walk over lava rock
  • Punalu'u - black sand; good place to see turtles (I once saw 4)
  • Papakolea/Mahana/Green sand beach - there is a local family that shuttles folks from the parking area to the beach for a nominal fee.  Private tours can also be arranged to the beach and surrounding area.
  • Hapuna - has been rated #1 in US, top 10 international

Snorkeling

Snuba (ages 8+)
  • from shore
    • Snuba Doo available (ages 4-7)
  • Fair Wind snorkel trip to Kealakekua Bay
    • no Snuba Doo
    • may allow <8 if child has done Snuba Doo

SCUBA

Swimming with dolphins

Coffee Farm Tours

NPS sites
  • If you plan on going to more than one NPS site in your time in Hawaii, it probably makes sense to get a Hawaii Tri-Parks Pass, which costs $30 per year for all three parks that collect fees (HAVO,HALE,PUHO), instead of up to $25 for a few days for one park.
  • Hawaii Volcanoes NP (HVNP) (ALL BUT KAHUKU UNIT IS CLOSED FOR NOW)
    • Jaggar Museum/Halemaumau overlook
    • Thurston lava tube (Definitely do the dark end if open, but has been closed for years.)
    • Chain of Craters Rd. to Holei sea arch
    • Kahuku (only weekendsEXPANDED HOURS FOR NOW)
    • Easy hikes:  Sulphur Banks, Devastation Trail, Pu'u Loa Petroglyphs
  • Pu'uhonua o Honaunau NHP
  • Kaloko Honokohau NHP
  • Pu'ukohola Heiau NHS (heiau means temple)

Botanic Gardens
  • Hawaii Tropical Botanical Garden htbg.com

Miscellany
  • Lava Tree State Monument CLOSED
  • Ahalanui (covered by lava, July 2018)
  • Seahorse Farm (great place for kids)- http://seahorse.com/
  • Cape Kumukahi Lighthouse - you can see where the lava came right up to the fence surrounding the lighthouse
  • South Point
  • Atlantis submarine
  • Hilo farmers market, Wednesdays (and Saturdays)
  • Pololu
  • Pana'ewa Rainforest Zoo
  • Mauna Loa Macadamia Nut Visitor Center - skippable; more expensive than Walmart; Rabbi Chazanow, previously of the BI has said that nuts without any chocolate/dairy are PAREVE, including Dry Roasted and Honey Roasted, even when bearing the OU-D

Hotels:
  • Kohala
  • Kona
  • Volcano
  • Hilo

Getting Around:
  • rent a car
    • Harpers - only rental car company that allows you to drive anywhere on the island
  • Bus
  • tours
  • bike
  • hike

Notes:
« Last edited by cgr on February 24, 2022, 09:16:15 PM »

Author Topic: Big Island Of Hawaii Master Thread  (Read 285999 times)

Offline 3yummyboys

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Big Island Of Hawaii Master Thread
« Reply #720 on: December 20, 2016, 10:27:25 AM »
Modified plan based on the above suggestions:

We have Sun 12:30pm to 12:30pm Thu. Sun/Mon nights are in Volcano while Tue/Wed nights are at the Sheraton (Kona).

Rough plan for Sun pm - Tue am:

Sunday
  • Arrive, get car, shop at Walmart for food
  • Drive to Mauna Kea visitors center for sunset
  • Drive to Volcano Airbnb
  • Go to Jagger museum at night time permitting

Monday
  • Heli tour of Volcano and waterfalls at 9:30am (requires being at ITO at 8:30a and leaving 7:45a) or 10:30a
  • Hike near Hilo, not sure which?
  • Drive to see lava entering ocean (if still applicable) getting there for sunset to see it by day and night
  • Go to Jagger museum at night if we couldn't Sunday

Tuesday
  • Go back to VNP to see the sights along Crater Rim Dr. (including seeing the crater by day)
  • Drive to Kona along Highway 11 (South Road) stopping at Green Sand Beach/South Point

Does this sound better? That way on Wednesday we can go back south to see other sights along highway 11 and/or do other activities. Thoughts?

Looks great. Do you plan to stay at Mauna Kea for stargazing? My husband loved it but I was a little bored. It will be cold for the baby.

We love Akaka falls, it's not a true hike but it's beautiful and will be easy with a baby in a carrier. We saw some strollers there but there are a lot of steps.

Offline Yehoshua

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: December 20, 2016, 10:54:57 AM »
Looks great. Do you plan to stay at Mauna Kea for stargazing? My husband loved it but I was a little bored. It will be cold for the baby.

We love Akaka falls, it's not a true hike but it's beautiful and will be easy with a baby in a carrier. We saw some strollers there but there are a lot of steps.
Thanks! We may stay for a little bit for stargazing, weather and crankiness dependent. I see myself enjoying it for about 10 minutes before getting bored. We'll have a coat for the baby.

That's good to know about Akaka falls. We plan on having a baby carrier backpack, plus my wife isn't crazy about big hikes anyway. Despite being 30 minute north of ITO it could be a good option in between the heli tour and Kalapana. How long does it take?

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #722 on: December 20, 2016, 11:06:38 AM »
1. Why Mauna Kea?  Sunset or stargazing/telescopes? https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29217-i268-k2316287-Sunset_from_mauna_kea_visitors_center-Island_of_Hawaii_Hawaii.html

2. I've been to Jaggar during the day, I've been to Jaggar at night, I've been to Jaggar at dawn, and I've been to Jaggar at dusk.  The changing colors, etc. is part of the magic.

5:49 dawn Monday before heli flight (even earlier one) works well.  Just be there 5-10 minutes (or more) before dawn, and make sure you have warm clothing.  Or better yet, get to HVNP early Tuesday and spend a few hours.

3. Akaka Falls has nice hike. Umauma, IMO, is much prettier, and/but no hike.  You might have time for both.

4. Don't leave out a black sand beach, if you haven't been to one yet.  Punalu'u is an easy one to access, can do Tuesday.  Or Kaimu, near Kalapana, if you like more privacy.

5. South Point is utterly uninteresting, unless you like those stick lighthouses (?).  I've never seen anyone jump in the winter, just in summer, but maybe I was there at the wrong time of the day/week.

6. Green sand beach best late in day, like if you could catch the last ride out.  Then it's empty, no bugs, less harsh light. Prepare to eat dust.  Support baby's head well on the ride out and back.  Make sure baby is well secured to adult for the way down.  Don't plan on carrying in arms.
1. Your TA link showed people who liked sunset and those who didn't. We'd go to Mauna Kea because it's on the way to Volcano and we'd be passing by around sunset.

2. That's why we want to see it at different times of the day.

3. Depending on how long Akaka takes we may have time to see Umauma too. It seems to be worth the 15 minute drive from Akaka.

4. We've seen a black sand beach on Maui. We do plan on seeing the new one near Kalapana and if that doesn't happen we may stop at another one.

5. If we're driving by anyway, isn't it at least worth the few minute detour off of highway 11 just to see the ocean from there? I'm aware there's no sign or anything fancy like in Key West.

6. Depending on where were are it may be the afternoon by the time we're there. Is it easy to find people to drive you there? Couldn't you just put the baby in the car in a car seat and use a backpack carrier to carry the baby down to the beach itself? That's what I imagined. Based on shulem92's TR it seems that you can either sit inside or outside the car/truck.

Offline shulem92

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: December 20, 2016, 11:23:12 AM »
1. Your TA link showed people who liked sunset and those who didn't. We'd go to Mauna Kea because it's on the way to Volcano and we'd be passing by around sunset.

The sunset itself by mauna kea is amazing. If your into stargazing then its worth it to stick around. (Remember, it takes a while to get fully dark to appreciate it.) But I found that for the view of the stars, there is an amazing view by the visitor center to the volcano (jaggar museum) also

3. Depending on how long Akaka takes we may have time to see Umauma too. It seems to be worth the 15 minute drive from Akaka.

4. We've seen a black sand beach on Maui. We do plan on seeing the new one near Kalapana and if that doesn't happen we may stop at another one.

The punaluu black sand beach is literally 1 minute off of highway 11. There are turtles there also.

5. If we're driving by anyway, isn't it at least worth the few minute detour off of highway 11 just to see the ocean from there? I'm aware there's no sign or anything fancy like in Key West.

Definitely is. IMO, it was worth the 15 minute detour. Great views. No beaches, because its cliffs, but it has a certain feel to it.

6. Depending on where were are it may be the afternoon by the time we're there. Is it easy to find people to drive you there? Couldn't you just put the baby in the car in a car seat and use a backpack carrier to carry the baby down to the beach itself? That's what I imagined. Based on shulem92's TR it seems that you can either sit inside or outside the car/truck.
There is a parking lot near the boat ramp where locals wait. Very easy to find.
I was offered to sit inside, but not all of the locals offer that option.
Even though it was inside, it was quite dusty, as the windows were open. (I don't think they even close at all. Lol)
It is possible to bring a baby, just bear in mind that it is pretty steep getting down to the actual beach. With steps carved into the mountainside.
Also it may take some time for the whole procedure. I would give it 2 hours give or take

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #724 on: December 20, 2016, 01:07:32 PM »
The sunset itself by mauna kea is amazing. If your into stargazing then its worth it to stick around. (Remember, it takes a while to get fully dark to appreciate it.) But I found that for the view of the stars, there is an amazing view by the visitor center to the volcano (jaggar museum) also

The punaluu black sand beach is literally 1 minute off of highway 11. There are turtles there also.

Definitely is. IMO, it was worth the 15 minute detour. Great views. No beaches, because its cliffs, but it has a certain feel to it.
There is a parking lot near the boat ramp where locals wait. Very easy to find.
I was offered to sit inside, but not all of the locals offer that option.
Even though it was inside, it was quite dusty, as the windows were open. (I don't think they even close at all. Lol)
It is possible to bring a baby, just bear in mind that it is pretty steep getting down to the actual beach. With steps carved into the mountainside.
Also it may take some time for the whole procedure. I would give it 2 hours give or take
We do plan on stopping at the black sand beach at Punalu'u too, especially since it's right off the road.

Thanks for the heads up regarding the baby. We'll try and see how it goes, but I know people have brought babies before.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #725 on: December 20, 2016, 01:26:47 PM »
Modified plan based on the above suggestions:

We have Sun 12:30pm to 12:30pm Thu. Sun/Mon nights are in Volcano while Tue/Wed nights are at the Sheraton (Kona).

Rough plan for Sun pm - Tue am:

Sunday
  • Arrive, get car, shop at Walmart for food
  • Drive to Mauna Kea visitors center for sunset
  • Drive to Volcano Airbnb
  • Go to Jagger museum at night time permitting

Monday
  • Heli tour of Volcano and waterfalls at 9:30am (requires being at ITO at 8:30a and leaving 7:45a) or 10:30a
  • Hike near Hilo, not sure which?
  • Drive to see lava entering ocean (if still applicable) getting there for sunset to see it by day and night
  • Go to Jagger museum at night if we couldn't Sunday

Tuesday
  • Go back to VNP to see the sights along Crater Rim Dr. (including seeing the crater by day)
  • Drive to Kona along Highway 11 (South Road) stopping at Green Sand Beach/South Point

Does this sound better? That way on Wednesday we can go back south to see other sights along highway 11 and/or do other activities. Thoughts?
Random thoughts:
The various natural hot springs are neat.
Road to the sea bring you to a nice spot as well.
Kīlauea Iki trail was awesome.
There were south point jumpers in the winter when we went.
Loved the Hilo market, but that's on Wednesday.
Not doing Waipio?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #726 on: December 20, 2016, 01:37:53 PM »
Random thoughts:
Not doing Waipio?
Where are the hot springs?

Isn't the Road to the Sea the way to get to the green sand beach which we're planning on doing on Tuesday?

Kīlauea Iki looks a bit too challenging for my wife. Not sure how fun a big ascent will be with a baby on my back, but it does look nice.

So I guess the jumpers may or not be there. Either way it's good to know that the minute temperature difference doesn't deter them.  :)

Hmm, yeah I guess we'll be missing the Hilo market.

As of now, I don't think Waipio is in the plan. It looks awesome and I'd love to do it. Any ideas of how to fit it in? I don't think driving back on Wednesday from the Sheraton seems like a good idea especially since there are probably places I'd want to see on the Kona side. I haven't planned Wednesday or Thursday morning yet though, so I'm open to ideas.

Offline SSLPhD

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: December 20, 2016, 01:42:05 PM »

Main point:  call in advance.  I wouldn't make the trek up (and only partway at that), if sunset was what you're coming for, and the conditions weren't right.  Also, bring a head lamp with red light, and of course, keep close eye on baby for signs of altitude sickness.

You only get all the gradations of lighting at dawn or dusk.

If you want the bragging rights or have time to kill, sure.  Otherwise, you could omit it, no big loss.  There's a non-picturesque heiau and a non-picturesque lighthouse.  There are many, many better places to see the ocean.

No room for car seat.  Don't even count on your own pair of usable seat belts.  Even if yes, you need to keep head from being a bobblehead.  Yes to backpack carrier.
44/50, 46/63

Offline SSLPhD

• View Profile
« Reply #728 on: December 20, 2016, 01:45:16 PM »
Random thoughts:
Maybe we went during school hours in the winter?  The two times we went to South Point during the winter it was deserted.  In the summer---lots of teens.
Not doing Waipio?
44/50, 46/63

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #729 on: December 20, 2016, 01:49:36 PM »
Where are the hot springs?

Isn't the Road to the Sea the way to get to the green sand beach which we're planning on doing on Tuesday?

Kīlauea Iki looks a bit too challenging for my wife. Not sure how fun a big ascent will be with a baby on my back, but it does look nice.

So I guess the jumpers may or not be there. Either way it's good to know that the minute temperature difference doesn't deter them.  :)

Hmm, yeah I guess we'll be missing the Hilo market.

As of now, I don't think Waipio is in the plan. It looks awesome and I'd love to do it. Any ideas of how to fit it in? I don't think driving back on Wednesday from the Sheraton seems like a good idea especially since there are probably places I'd want to see on the Kona side. I haven't planned Wednesday or Thursday morning yet though, so I'm open to ideas.
-There were lots of hot springs, though I think some were removed from the revealed books. GIYF.

You're right about RTTS. Been 8 years since we did it :)
We also never did make it to the green sand beach. Didn't really know how to get there and road was very bumpy.

Gotta find a way to do Waipio...
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: December 20, 2016, 01:50:55 PM »
Maybe we went during school hours in the winter?  The two times we went to South Point during the winter it was deserted.  In the summer---lots of teens.
We were there 1/29/09.
Lots of jumpers. Was quite exciting to see.
Verrrrry windy.

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #731 on: December 20, 2016, 01:59:16 PM »
-There were lots of hot springs, though I think some were removed from the revealed books. GIYF.

We also never did make it to the green sand beach. Didn't really know how to get there and road was very bumpy.

Gotta find a way to do Waipio...
Could it be done after the Heli tour before Kalapana at sunset? Do you have another idea?

Offline hachover

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: December 24, 2016, 10:42:40 PM »

There's a parking lot at the beginning of the road to green sand beach, with signs warning people not to try driving their rental cars, and it was filled with people who wanted to be hired to take you to green sand beach in their pickups. It's a good alternative if you don't want to or can't drive yourself. Personally, I walked, but that was strenuous.
I'm an optimist; but only because life isn't going to give me any other good choices.

Offline SSLPhD

• View Profile
« Reply #733 on: December 27, 2016, 10:11:33 AM »
I received this e-mail this morning, and it may be relevant to some of you:

WELCOME RABBI LEVI & FRAIDY GERLITZKY TO CHABAD OF THE BIG ISLAND!
We would like to extend a heart-felt welcome, Boruch Haba to Rabbi Levi and Fraidy Gerlitzky, and their son Mendel, as permanent Rabbi & Rebbetzin to Chabad of the Big Island and the larger Jewish community.

We feel privileged to welcome in such a dynamic, committed and caring couple to further Judaism in Kona, and the entire Big Island. Levi and Fraidy have a deep passion for spreading the warmth and beauty of Torah, all over the world! They have taken their passion all the way to Lagos, Nigeria, running Chabad activities for the High Holiday season.

The Gerlitzky's spent time on the Big Island this summer and saw the true (spiritual) beauty of the island and its people, and are eager to contribute and continue the mission of spreading Judaism to every corner of the island and every Jew they encounter!

They will be spending the next few months planning and obtaining resources for their Shlichus in Kona (lit. mission; term used for Chabad outposts, as they fullfil the mission set forth by the Lubavitcher Rebbe.) Once their spiritual and physical bags are packed, the Gerlitzky's will make their way West, and settle on the Big Island.

[deleted info]

Levi & Fraidy are replacing the Chazanow's who are currently residing in Honolulu.

[deleted photo and contact info]

HAPPY CHANUKAH!

We now find ourselves during the days of Chanukah, when we so openly and proudly proclaim the message of light to the outside; the triumph of purity; a little light dispelling much darkness; the spirit of the Maccabee's, an abbreviation of 'All those for Hashem, follow me!'; fighting evil with good, and so on.

The Lubavitcher Rebbe lived this message every day of his 40+ years of leadership, and as a result has vastly changed the face of world Jewry! The Rebbe cared so deeply for each individual and their connection with Hashem, and thus began the mission of sending young Chabad couples to - literally - every corner of the earth to spread the light, warmth and pride of Judaism.

We are humbled to have been part of the Rebbe's tremendous vision, by bringing Chabad to the Big Island of Hawaii. While personal circumstances have brought us to the point of relocating, we know this in no way reflects on the strength of the Jewish spirit glowing on the Big Island.

We have every confidence that Chabad, under the leadership of Rabbi Levi & Fraidy, will flourish in a tremendous way. And as the Chanuka miracle & message lives on just as strongly today, so will the flame of Yiddishkeit continue to burn in Hawaii!

Sincerely,

Rabbi Avremel & Rivky
44/50, 46/63

Offline efflpetzel

• View Profile
« Reply #734 on: December 28, 2016, 11:07:32 AM »
Anyone know why avremel left, had a lot of fun with him

Offline israbear89

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #735 on: January 09, 2017, 04:48:11 PM »
If lava is active, what's a better viewing area to see the lava at sunset/night. Kalapana Ocean Entry or Jagger Museum/Halemaumau Crater?

Is it possible to do both? (seems impractical to leave the park for an hr drive to kalapana bike to the ocean, and drive an hour back to Jagger)

Online Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 44
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #736 on: January 09, 2017, 04:52:09 PM »
If lava is active, what's a better viewing area to see the lava at sunset/night. Kalapana Ocean Entry or Jagger Museum/Halemaumau Crater?

Is it possible to do both? (seems impractical to leave the park for an hr drive to kalapana bike to the ocean, and drive an hour back to Jagger)

Two completely different things. If you had to choose one do Kalapana, but you should really do both if you can. And explore the rest of the park too.
Check out my site for epic kosher adventures: Kosher Horizons

Offline israbear89

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: January 09, 2017, 05:14:49 PM »
I plan on exploring the park throughout the day. So you think its worth leaving the park for kalapana and then coming back after dark? sounds a bit grueling...
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 05:21:41 PM by israbear89 »

Offline shulem92

• View Profile
« Reply #738 on: January 09, 2017, 05:16:56 PM »
So you think its worth leaving the park for kalapana and then coming back? sounds a bit grueling...
How grueling can an hour drive be?

Offline SSLPhD

• View Profile
« Reply #739 on: January 09, 2017, 05:28:00 PM »

Where are you spending the night?  Do Halemaumau at night, ocean entry the following morning, making sure to be there at least half hour(?) before dawn for the full effect.

44/50, 46/63