Topic Wiki

List of TR's:
JewJitSew, Something Fishy, Cbs, MendyP, PBaruch, mechayamom, 3yummyboys, PBaruch, shulem92, Yehoshua, CGR

Kosher Food/ Restaurants:

Synagogue:

Things to Do:
Lava (find out in advance what the best way is to see the lava):
  • Helicopter
  • Hike/Bike
    • Surface flow - depending on the conditions, it might be possible to hike to surface flow.  Inquire with Kalapana Cultural Tours.
    • Ocean entry - At the present time, there are three ways to access the area where lava is flowing into the ocean: (i) walk the approximately 10 miles round trip over the county emergency access road from Kalapana (you can also walk over the road from the National Park side as well) - UPDATE - you are now restricted to .5 miles from the surface flow due to dumb tourists putting themselves in danger and almost getting killed. As a result, viewing ocean entry from land is not as enjoyable as it used to be; (ii) rent a bicycle from one of several companies and ride to the ocean entry; or (iii) pay for Kalapana Cultural Tours (www.kalapanaculturaltours.com) to drive you most of the way and then hike or bike the remaining approximately 1.8 miles each way. 
  • Boat

Caves/lava tubes
  • Thurston Lava Tube (parking now restricted to 30 minutes)
  • Kaumana
  • ranger-led to?
  • Cave 3
  • Kazamura Caves http://kazumuracave.com/

Mountains
  • CAUTION: after SCUBA diving, wait 24 hours before going up the mountains
  • Mauna Loa
    • Mauna Loa Observatory - if this interests you, contact MLO to arrange tour; they'll ask, "you know we don't do astronomy, right?"; will give you code to gate; one-lane, seriously winding and undulating road
    • ways to summit:
      • day hike from parking lot just before MLO gate
      • minimum 3-5 day hike from Mauna Loa Access Road
  • Mauna Kea
    • visitor center for telescopes in evening
    • to do at summit
      • view sunset
      • Keck Observatory
      • Lake Waiau
      • adz quarry

Waterfalls

Historical/museums

Beaches
  • Waipio
  • Kalapana/Kaimu - black sand; 10(?) minute walk over lava rock
  • Punalu'u - black sand; good place to see turtles (I once saw 4)
  • Papakolea/Mahana/Green sand beach - there is a local family that shuttles folks from the parking area to the beach for a nominal fee.  Private tours can also be arranged to the beach and surrounding area.
  • Hapuna - has been rated #1 in US, top 10 international

Snorkeling

Snuba (ages 8+)
  • from shore
    • Snuba Doo available (ages 4-7)
  • Fair Wind snorkel trip to Kealakekua Bay
    • no Snuba Doo
    • may allow <8 if child has done Snuba Doo

SCUBA

Swimming with dolphins

Coffee Farm Tours

NPS sites
  • If you plan on going to more than one NPS site in your time in Hawaii, it probably makes sense to get a Hawaii Tri-Parks Pass, which costs $30 per year for all three parks that collect fees (HAVO,HALE,PUHO), instead of up to $25 for a few days for one park.
  • Hawaii Volcanoes NP (HVNP) (ALL BUT KAHUKU UNIT IS CLOSED FOR NOW)
    • Jaggar Museum/Halemaumau overlook
    • Thurston lava tube (Definitely do the dark end if open, but has been closed for years.)
    • Chain of Craters Rd. to Holei sea arch
    • Kahuku (only weekendsEXPANDED HOURS FOR NOW)
    • Easy hikes:  Sulphur Banks, Devastation Trail, Pu'u Loa Petroglyphs
  • Pu'uhonua o Honaunau NHP
  • Kaloko Honokohau NHP
  • Pu'ukohola Heiau NHS (heiau means temple)

Botanic Gardens
  • Hawaii Tropical Botanical Garden htbg.com

Miscellany
  • Lava Tree State Monument CLOSED
  • Ahalanui (covered by lava, July 2018)
  • Seahorse Farm (great place for kids)- http://seahorse.com/
  • Cape Kumukahi Lighthouse - you can see where the lava came right up to the fence surrounding the lighthouse
  • South Point
  • Atlantis submarine
  • Hilo farmers market, Wednesdays (and Saturdays)
  • Pololu
  • Pana'ewa Rainforest Zoo
  • Mauna Loa Macadamia Nut Visitor Center - skippable; more expensive than Walmart; Rabbi Chazanow, previously of the BI has said that nuts without any chocolate/dairy are PAREVE, including Dry Roasted and Honey Roasted, even when bearing the OU-D

Hotels:
  • Kohala
  • Kona
  • Volcano
  • Hilo

Getting Around:
  • rent a car
    • Harpers - only rental car company that allows you to drive anywhere on the island
  • Bus
  • tours
  • bike
  • hike

Notes:
« Last edited by cgr on February 24, 2022, 09:16:15 PM »

Author Topic: Big Island Of Hawaii Master Thread  (Read 283066 times)

Offline mechayamom

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Big Island Of Hawaii Master Thread
« Reply #520 on: August 27, 2015, 05:44:41 PM »
Maybe he is afraid I'll push him out ..LOL  Your baby is yummy

Offline mechayamom

• View Profile
« Reply #521 on: August 27, 2015, 05:46:19 PM »
Im going to call the dive shops and ask their advice on what sites can be done within the 24 hours..

Online PBaruch

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: August 27, 2015, 05:47:04 PM »
Im going to call the dive shops and ask their advice on what sites can be done within the 24 hours..

Not sure if I mentioned this, but Jack's is supposed to be the best dive outfit on the BI.
What do you do after your dreams come true?

Offline SSLPhD

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: August 27, 2015, 07:39:46 PM »
hey...starting not to sound like a vacation anymore.  I tend to try to pack in more than can be done.
I'm a firm believer in vacations being for making memories, not relaxing.  That's what Shabbos is for.  :-)  And I've always found the Kona side relaxing---so relaxing, it's almost boring.
44/50, 46/63

Offline SSLPhD

• View Profile
« Reply #524 on: August 27, 2015, 07:50:03 PM »
Thanks all for your suggestions...DH would not go for doors off.  :)
The first time I did the doors off, the pilot banked so hard to the right that there was nothing between me and the ground below but my 4-point harness.
44/50, 46/63

Offline mechayamom

• View Profile
« Reply #525 on: August 27, 2015, 10:15:18 PM »
DH has skydived but not really in the mood of hanging on by his seatbelt.
I'll stick to doors on.

I agree with you vacations are not for relaxation.  Let's see how much I can pack into a day.

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #526 on: August 28, 2015, 01:04:29 AM »
Just depends on the vacation.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline ah

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: August 28, 2015, 05:49:30 AM »
Just left the BI a few hours ago, was a great few days...just a tip for anyone interested, we got advice from the guys at ATV outfitters (which was a lot of fun btw) to check out Pololu valley lookout/hike to the best black sand beach on the island. There was a short-ish but steep downhill hike to get down to the beach (which means uphill coming back up) but it is absolutely amazing and well worth it. I complained the whole way back up, but saw many senior citizens who were doing it just fine...so I guess I'm a wimp.
Another tip for the adventurous ones...there's a company called Wild Hawaii Ocean Adventures, small company which takes you out in an awesome authentic navy seal boat for snorkeling. This is NOT your run of the mill snorkeling trip. They go to areas much farther out and different than the others. We swam with sharks in 3 different locations, and then of course snorkeled by captain cook, it was the most incredible experience. They are fun guys who know their stuff, and I felt safe with them, even though at one point I was swimming amongst 7 silky sharks, close enough to touch! I can't recommend this enough, I'm thinking I need to go back to the BI just to be able to go out with them again. (this was my first time snorkeling btw)
If someone can PM me and explain how I can add pictures easily without being told they're too big I would post some pics of sharks and the Pololu Valley black sand beach.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 06:24:17 AM by ah »

Online Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 44
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #528 on: August 28, 2015, 09:03:24 AM »
Just left the BI a few hours ago, was a great few days...just a tip for anyone interested, we got advice from the guys at ATV outfitters (which was a lot of fun btw) to check out Pololu valley lookout/hike to the best black sand beach on the island. There was a short-ish but steep downhill hike to get down to the beach (which means uphill coming back up) but it is absolutely amazing and well worth it. I complained the whole way back up, but saw many senior citizens who were doing it just fine...so I guess I'm a wimp.
Another tip for the adventurous ones...there's a company called Wild Hawaii Ocean Adventures, small company which takes you out in an awesome authentic navy seal boat for snorkeling. This is NOT your run of the mill snorkeling trip. They go to areas much farther out and different than the others. We swam with sharks in 3 different locations, and then of course snorkeled by captain cook, it was the most incredible experience. They are fun guys who know their stuff, and I felt safe with them, even though at one point I was swimming amongst 7 silky sharks, close enough to touch! I can't recommend this enough, I'm thinking I need to go back to the BI just to be able to go out with them again. (this was my first time snorkeling btw)
If someone can PM me and explain how I can add pictures easily without being told they're too big I would post some pics of sharks and the Pololu Valley black sand beach.

http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=46084.0

How much was the snorkeling trip?
Check out my site for epic kosher adventures: Kosher Horizons

Offline ah

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: August 28, 2015, 01:23:04 PM »
http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=46084.0

How much was the snorkeling trip?
$160+ tax it's technically a 4 hour trip but usually ends up being closer to 5 hours.

Online PBaruch

• View Profile
« Reply #530 on: August 28, 2015, 02:39:38 PM »
There was a huge breakout of lava at Puu Oo, but unfortunately its headed away from the ocean.   :-\

http://www.nbcnews.com/video/lava-flows-from-hawaiis-kilauea-volcano-514817091778

Might be a nice time for a heli flight over the volcano.

Offline mechayamom

• View Profile
« Reply #531 on: August 30, 2015, 12:06:41 AM »
Here goes tentative itinerary..looking for advice on if I should stay in Kona for 2 days and midway (volcano) 2 days.  Or rent a condo in Kona and spend 1 night in Volcano.

Sunday - Travel in from Kauai, spend the day, settling in, shopping then head over to Mauna Kea for sunset  If time, go to Polulu Lookout and hike to the beach before Mauna Kea.  Return to Kona
Monday - AM 2 tank dive, spend the afternoon exploring the different beaches, maybe coffee tour, and sunset on A-bay
Tuesday - Head to Volcano, stop at black sand beach, green sand beach, VNP stay until nightfall to see Jagger museum of the crater at night.  Sleep in Volcano/or somewhere around there.
Wednesday - morning heli ride out of Hilo, rest of day in either VNP if more to be done, or head back to Kona via Hilo side.
Flight out of Kona is Thursday at 12:30.

How far is the trip from Volcano to the airport?  Is it better to spend 2 nights in volcano and drive back in the AM to Kona for the flight..or head to Kona on Wednesday night to be closer to the airport?

Any comments, suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

Offline keepsmiling123

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UR, SPG, MR, UA
« Reply #532 on: August 30, 2015, 12:28:07 AM »

How far is the trip from Volcano to the airport?  Is it better to spend 2 nights in volcano and drive back in the AM to Kona for the flight..or head to Kona on Wednesday night to be closer to the airport?

its abt a 2.5 hr drive from Hilo side to Kona I believe

Offline 3yummyboys

• View Profile
« Reply #533 on: August 30, 2015, 02:18:13 AM »

There was a huge breakout of lava at Puu Oo, but unfortunately its headed away from the ocean.   :-\

http://www.nbcnews.com/video/lava-flows-from-hawaiis-kilauea-volcano-514817091778

Might be a nice time for a heli flight over the volcano.

Any way to get close to it? We will be at VNP tomorrow.

Online PBaruch

• View Profile
« Reply #534 on: August 30, 2015, 02:31:26 AM »

You can technically hike over to Puu Oo but you'd have to be a bit meshuga. 

Offline SSLPhD

• View Profile
« Reply #535 on: August 30, 2015, 02:49:54 AM »
Here goes tentative itinerary..looking for advice on if I should stay in Kona for 2 days and midway (volcano) 2 days.  Or rent a condo in Kona and spend 1 night in Volcano.

Sunday - Travel in from Kauai, spend the day, settling in, shopping then head over to Mauna Kea for sunset  If time, go to Polulu Lookout and hike to the beach before Mauna Kea.  Return to Kona
Monday - AM 2 tank dive, spend the afternoon exploring the different beaches, maybe coffee tour, and sunset on A-bay
Tuesday - Head to Volcano, stop at black sand beach, green sand beach, VNP stay until nightfall to see Jagger museum of the crater at night.  Sleep in Volcano/or somewhere around there.
Wednesday - morning heli ride out of Hilo, rest of day in either VNP if more to be done, or head back to Kona via Hilo side.
Flight out of Kona is Thursday at 12:30.

Any comments, suggestions are welcome and appreciated.
Some thoughts:

Regarding Mauna Kea, do you know how your body reacts to high altitude?  The more time you set aside to acclimate, the better off you'll be.  You need to figure HOURS to get to the summit.  Stop by the Visitor Center on the way down to look through the telescopes.

Depending on how long you stay at the beaches, you may still have time to hit all the other main attractions at HVNP (Do just a few (5?) miles of CoC Rd, stopping at pullouts, if short on time, plus Nahuku and the beginning of Devastation Trail.  These give you a nice feel for the place and shouldn't take more than 2 hours all told.) before heading to Jaggar.  For Tuesday night, stay at a hotel in Hilo near the airport.  Staying in Volcano just doesn't make sense in your case.

Wednesday, after your helicopter ride, I assume you mean drive back to Kona airport via the North route.  Definitely head back Wednesday, so that you can take your time.  This is where you can go to the botanic garden, waterfalls, fruit stand, etc.  There is a nice fruit stand near Akaka Falls that is open every day, I believe.  Just remember that you should only buy what you can finish eating before you leave, as you can't take most produce back.  If you have time and interest, you can drive to the Waipio overlook.

If for some reason you don't dive on Monday, you'll still be locked into your heli flight Wednesday if you book ahead, and you should.  Bear that in mind.  How long is a two-tank dive?  What time is the earliest you'll be able to fly if you need to postpone your dive a day?
44/50, 46/63

Offline SSLPhD

• View Profile
« Reply #536 on: August 30, 2015, 02:54:38 AM »
Take a helicopter tour.  They'll have a birds eye view, and will be more easily able to identify breakouts.
44/50, 46/63

Offline 3yummyboys

• View Profile
« Reply #537 on: September 02, 2015, 01:12:06 AM »
Falafel in Paradise is open! Really good food, and the chef is great. Highly recommend!

Offline mechayamom

• View Profile
« Reply #538 on: September 02, 2015, 07:28:43 AM »
So rethinking order of itinerary. Thinks this makes more sense. Lemme know what you think

SUN fly from Kauai to Hilo. Rent car and drop stuff at place to stay around Hilo.
Drive towards VNP and stop at green sand beach. Black sand beach. Spend day at VNP. Short hikes. cOC road until nighttime where we can see the crater from Jagger

Sleep in Hilo
Mon AM helicopter ride. Then either more VNP if we want or explore HIlo and drive northern portion back to KOA. Stopping at various sites
Check into KOA

Tues am scuba. Afternoon exploring beaches in kona/kohala. Maybe coffee plantation

Wed depends on how much we did the other days. Either go down to south point or head to waipio maybe horseback ride. Head to Mauna Kea in afternoon to acclimate and get ready for sunset
Return to KOA

Thursday. Flights is 12:45. What's a short thing to do?

Found renting a vehicle in ITO and returning to KOA is 150 cheaper than renting and returning to KOA
Thx

Offline SSLPhD

• View Profile
« Reply #539 on: September 05, 2015, 09:42:04 PM »
So rethinking order of itinerary. Thinks this makes more sense. Lemme know what you think

SUN fly from Kauai to Hilo. Rent car and drop stuff at place to stay around Hilo.
Drive towards VNP and stop at green sand beach. Black sand beach. Spend day at VNP. Short hikes. cOC road until nighttime where we can see the crater from Jagger

Sleep in Hilo
Mon AM helicopter ride. Then either more VNP if we want or explore HIlo and drive northern portion back to KOA. Stopping at various sites
Check into KOA

Tues am scuba. Afternoon exploring beaches in kona/kohala. Maybe coffee plantation

Wed depends on how much we did the other days. Either go down to south point or head to waipio maybe horseback ride. Head to Mauna Kea in afternoon to acclimate and get ready for sunset
Return to KOA

Thursday. Flights is 12:45. What's a short thing to do?

Found renting a vehicle in ITO and returning to KOA is 150 cheaper than renting and returning to KOA
Thx
Overall, this looks OK, but you're going to miss Mauna Kea if you need to push off your dive.

South Point and the green sand beach are right near each other, and they're halfway along the south route to Kona, not between Hilo and HVNP.

Two things regarding Mauna Kea:  some rental car companies won't allow you to drive up to the summit.  If they don't allow it, you can risk it, or rent from Harpers.  Also, Visitor Center to stargaze is great on your way down (they have telescopes set up), but it's dark, so you may find it helpful to have a headlamp with a red light, as white light (including camera flashes) is disruptive to people looking at the stars.

If you're into astronomy, and have some extra time in Hilo, the Imiloa Astronomy Center at the University of Hawaii at Hilo may be interesting.  They have some exhibits and planetarium shows.

For Thursday morning:  hotel pool, beaches for turtle watching (there are some not far from the airport), shop for souvenirs, pick up food for the way back, coffee farm.
44/50, 46/63