Topic Wiki

List of TR's:
JewJitSew, Something Fishy, Cbs, MendyP, PBaruch, mechayamom, 3yummyboys, PBaruch, shulem92, Yehoshua, CGR

Kosher Food/ Restaurants:

Synagogue:

Things to Do:
Lava (find out in advance what the best way is to see the lava):
  • Helicopter
  • Hike/Bike
    • Surface flow - depending on the conditions, it might be possible to hike to surface flow.  Inquire with Kalapana Cultural Tours.
    • Ocean entry - At the present time, there are three ways to access the area where lava is flowing into the ocean: (i) walk the approximately 10 miles round trip over the county emergency access road from Kalapana (you can also walk over the road from the National Park side as well) - UPDATE - you are now restricted to .5 miles from the surface flow due to dumb tourists putting themselves in danger and almost getting killed. As a result, viewing ocean entry from land is not as enjoyable as it used to be; (ii) rent a bicycle from one of several companies and ride to the ocean entry; or (iii) pay for Kalapana Cultural Tours (www.kalapanaculturaltours.com) to drive you most of the way and then hike or bike the remaining approximately 1.8 miles each way. 
  • Boat

Caves/lava tubes
  • Thurston Lava Tube (parking now restricted to 30 minutes)
  • Kaumana
  • ranger-led to?
  • Cave 3
  • Kazamura Caves http://kazumuracave.com/

Mountains
  • CAUTION: after SCUBA diving, wait 24 hours before going up the mountains
  • Mauna Loa
    • Mauna Loa Observatory - if this interests you, contact MLO to arrange tour; they'll ask, "you know we don't do astronomy, right?"; will give you code to gate; one-lane, seriously winding and undulating road
    • ways to summit:
      • day hike from parking lot just before MLO gate
      • minimum 3-5 day hike from Mauna Loa Access Road
  • Mauna Kea
    • visitor center for telescopes in evening
    • to do at summit
      • view sunset
      • Keck Observatory
      • Lake Waiau
      • adz quarry

Waterfalls

Historical/museums

Beaches
  • Waipio
  • Kalapana/Kaimu - black sand; 10(?) minute walk over lava rock
  • Punalu'u - black sand; good place to see turtles (I once saw 4)
  • Papakolea/Mahana/Green sand beach - there is a local family that shuttles folks from the parking area to the beach for a nominal fee.  Private tours can also be arranged to the beach and surrounding area.
  • Hapuna - has been rated #1 in US, top 10 international

Snorkeling

Snuba (ages 8+)
  • from shore
    • Snuba Doo available (ages 4-7)
  • Fair Wind snorkel trip to Kealakekua Bay
    • no Snuba Doo
    • may allow <8 if child has done Snuba Doo

SCUBA

Swimming with dolphins

Coffee Farm Tours

NPS sites
  • If you plan on going to more than one NPS site in your time in Hawaii, it probably makes sense to get a Hawaii Tri-Parks Pass, which costs $30 per year for all three parks that collect fees (HAVO,HALE,PUHO), instead of up to $25 for a few days for one park.
  • Hawaii Volcanoes NP (HVNP) (ALL BUT KAHUKU UNIT IS CLOSED FOR NOW)
    • Jaggar Museum/Halemaumau overlook
    • Thurston lava tube (Definitely do the dark end if open, but has been closed for years.)
    • Chain of Craters Rd. to Holei sea arch
    • Kahuku (only weekendsEXPANDED HOURS FOR NOW)
    • Easy hikes:  Sulphur Banks, Devastation Trail, Pu'u Loa Petroglyphs
  • Pu'uhonua o Honaunau NHP
  • Kaloko Honokohau NHP
  • Pu'ukohola Heiau NHS (heiau means temple)

Botanic Gardens
  • Hawaii Tropical Botanical Garden htbg.com

Miscellany
  • Lava Tree State Monument CLOSED
  • Ahalanui (covered by lava, July 2018)
  • Seahorse Farm (great place for kids)- http://seahorse.com/
  • Cape Kumukahi Lighthouse - you can see where the lava came right up to the fence surrounding the lighthouse
  • South Point
  • Atlantis submarine
  • Hilo farmers market, Wednesdays (and Saturdays)
  • Pololu
  • Pana'ewa Rainforest Zoo
  • Mauna Loa Macadamia Nut Visitor Center - skippable; more expensive than Walmart; Rabbi Chazanow, previously of the BI has said that nuts without any chocolate/dairy are PAREVE, including Dry Roasted and Honey Roasted, even when bearing the OU-D

Hotels:
  • Kohala
  • Kona
  • Volcano
  • Hilo

Getting Around:
  • rent a car
    • Harpers - only rental car company that allows you to drive anywhere on the island
  • Bus
  • tours
  • bike
  • hike

Notes:
« Last edited by cgr on February 24, 2022, 09:16:15 PM »

Author Topic: Big Island Of Hawaii Master Thread  (Read 283084 times)

Offline mechayamom

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Big Island Of Hawaii Master Thread
« Reply #540 on: September 06, 2015, 11:09:06 PM »
Overall, this looks OK, but you're going to miss Mauna Kea if you need to push off your dive.

South Point and the green sand beach are right near each other, and they're halfway along the south route to Kona, not between Hilo and HVNP.

Two things regarding Mauna Kea:  some rental car companies won't allow you to drive up to the summit.  If they don't allow it, you can risk it, or rent from Harpers.  Also, Visitor Center to stargaze is great on your way down (they have telescopes set up), but it's dark, so you may find it helpful to have a headlamp with a red light, as white light (including camera flashes) is disruptive to people looking at the stars.

If you're into astronomy, and have some extra time in Hilo, the Imiloa Astronomy Center at the University of Hawaii at Hilo may be interesting.  They have some exhibits and planetarium shows.

For Thursday morning:  hotel pool, beaches for turtle watching (there are some not far from the airport), shop for souvenirs, pick up food for the way back, coffee farm.

I was going to ask about the rental car companies.  It seems Harpers is the only one that allows the trek up to the summit. 
Would you risk a Wrangler from Alamo to go to the summit?  Should I even do the summit, or the sunset is fine from the visitor center?

Any suggestions for a place in Hilo.  Most look so sketchy.
Thanks guys. 

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #541 on: September 06, 2015, 11:09:36 PM »
Drove a Mustang from Avis to the summit without issue.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline SSLPhD

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: September 07, 2015, 07:34:42 PM »
I was going to ask about the rental car companies.  It seems Harpers is the only one that allows the trek up to the summit. 
Would you risk a Wrangler from Alamo to go to the summit?  Should I even do the summit, or the sunset is fine from the visitor center?

Any suggestions for a place in Hilo.  Most look so sketchy.
Thanks guys.
We were once driving a Jeep uphill in the Kahuku unit of HVNP (open only on weekends), when we got a HOT OIL warning.  We stopped so as to avoid a repeat of our last serious Jeep incident.  To answer your question, NO, I personally would not risk it in a Jeep.

I'm not sure if you can actually see sunset from the Visitor Center.  You'd have to find out about that.

Regarding where to stay in Hilo, we've never spent the night there, but you can check the Hawaii Revealed website.  They should have reviews.
44/50, 46/63

Offline mechayamom

• View Profile
« Reply #543 on: September 07, 2015, 11:34:52 PM »
Pray tell what was the other serious incident with the jeep?
Is there anybody who would drive me up from the visitor center and be able to get a tour of the telescopes?  Keck is open until 4 but would not want to stay at that altitude until sunset.
Subaru telescope has tours but only till 1:30
Deciding not to stay in Hilo. Read revealed books so many times. Lots of warnings about thievery around there

Offline mechayamom

• View Profile
« Reply #544 on: September 09, 2015, 03:08:55 PM »
How do you use Blue Hawaiian Gift cards from Costco to pay for helicopter rides?
When you book online, it asks for your credit card number.

Would like to book the trip before I arrive to guarantee it.
Are the Blue Hawaiian gift cards only sold in Costco in Hawaii?  Didnt see them online.

Also any recommendations for Blue Hawaiian vs. Paradise out of Hilo for the Volcano and waterfall tour?

Offline ah

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: September 09, 2015, 05:05:25 PM »
How do you use Blue Hawaiian Gift cards from Costco to pay for helicopter rides?

Are the Blue Hawaiian gift cards only sold in Costco in Hawaii?  Didnt see them online.

Also any recommendations for Blue Hawaiian vs. Paradise out of Hilo for the Volcano and waterfall tour?
as far as I understood, for BH GCs you need to to it all there, and at that point you wouldn't get the advanced purchase fare, which makes the discount not as great...but I could be wrong

Offline keepsmiling123

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UR, SPG, MR, UA
« Reply #546 on: September 09, 2015, 05:34:09 PM »

Did it a few weeks ago. You need to buy the GC's at costco and call Blue Hawaiian to make a reservation. They only sell discounted gc's at costco as far as im aware. They will put your CC on hold until you get to the register and pay with the GC's. You don't get the online discount, you only get the discounted rate you buy the gc's for which is $100 gc for $80. A way better price than the online deal IMHO

Offline ah

• View Profile
« Reply #547 on: September 09, 2015, 06:06:49 PM »
Did it a few weeks ago. You need to buy the GC's at costco and call Blue Hawaiian to make a reservation. They only sell discounted gc's at costco as far as im aware. They will put your CC on hold until you get to the register and pay with the GC's. You don't get the online discount, you only get the discounted rate you buy the gc's for which is $100 gc for $80. A way better price than the online deal IMHO
Not WAY better by any means...for kauai the online price is $210.65  regular price is $239.38  if you buy 2x$100 you save $40 as opposed to $28.73 difference of $11.27 if it makes sense with the amount of pax and you manage to get the full 20% off its $191.50  which is a savings of  $19.15. Yes it's a savings, but nothing crazy.

Offline keepsmiling123

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UR, SPG, MR, UA
« Reply #548 on: September 09, 2015, 06:22:48 PM »
Not WAY better by any means...for kauai the online price is $210.65  regular price is $239.38  if you buy 2x$100 you save $40 as opposed to $28.73 difference of $11.27 if it makes sense with the amount of pax and you manage to get the full 20% off its $191.50  which is a savings of  $19.15. Yes it's a savings, but nothing crazy.

IMHE paying $400 for $500 of gc's is better than paying $25 extra online with their online savings. Besides for us we did the Kohala Coast Adventure and we booked the A Star which is cheaper anyway but since all the A Stars were out we flew on an Eco Star which they charge more for, at a significant discount (AKA the A Star price w/ our already discounted gc's) 

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #549 on: September 09, 2015, 06:24:50 PM »
I've been able to use the GCs with the day of flight last minute discount.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline ah

• View Profile
« Reply #550 on: September 09, 2015, 06:57:13 PM »
I've been able to use the GCs with the day of flight last minute discount.
they were sold out the day i went...its all about when you go

Offline ah

• View Profile
« Reply #551 on: September 09, 2015, 07:01:41 PM »

if not doing a doors off tour, take them seriously and wear dark solid clothing...on top and bottom. I never was told this warning, but had i done my HW (was never good at that) its out there.

Offline mechayamom

• View Profile
« Reply #552 on: September 10, 2015, 02:24:19 AM »
Thanks people. Since the helicopter is going to be my focal point I want to make sure I reserve in advance. So guess I will book online with the discount instead of gift cards. The week before I go is the ironman. Could be lots of people are staying after.

When quoting a jeep price on big island for 4 days. Was getting 600-1500. Insanity.
From ITO to KOA. So decided a way around was book the one day from ITO to KOA. That was 66. And then switch cars in KOA for the remaining 3 days. Came out to like 350.

Offline mechayamom

• View Profile
« Reply #553 on: September 23, 2015, 11:38:53 PM »
Just an FYI.  If you go to multiple islands and book helicopters on both Blue Hawaiian provides a 17% discount...it is better than their online price for each individual flight

Offline 3yummyboys

• View Profile
« Reply #554 on: September 24, 2015, 12:15:27 PM »

Just an FYI.  If you go to multiple islands and book helicopters on both Blue Hawaiian provides a 17% discount...it is better than their online price for each individual flight

I'll have to keep that in mind for next time! DH and I can't decide which island to go back to, so we will do at least two on our next trip ;)

Offline mechayamom

• View Profile
« Reply #555 on: September 27, 2015, 03:22:00 AM »
Waiting with anticipation your trip report

Offline 3yummyboys

• View Profile
« Reply #556 on: September 27, 2015, 09:35:18 AM »
After YT ;)

Offline normathej

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: October 21, 2015, 10:28:46 AM »
In November / December, what is the tznius situation in Hawaii?  Are people for the most part dressed, or is the whole island the equivalent of being at the beach?  Any particular island better or worse if this is a concern?

Offline Marco Polo

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 104
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: October 21, 2015, 10:30:34 AM »
In November / December, what is the tznius situation in Hawaii?  Are people for the most part dressed, or is the whole island the equivalent of being at the beach?  Any particular island better or worse if this is a concern?
I think if going to Hawaii, you should expect it to be like the beach all the time.
Quaerite et Invenietis.

Offline normathej

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: October 21, 2015, 10:36:55 AM »
That's what I needed to know.
Thanks