Topic Wiki

List of TR's:
JewJitSew, Something Fishy, Cbs, MendyP, PBaruch, mechayamom, 3yummyboys, PBaruch, shulem92, Yehoshua, CGR

Kosher Food/ Restaurants:

Synagogue:

Things to Do:
Lava (find out in advance what the best way is to see the lava):
  • Helicopter
  • Hike/Bike
    • Surface flow - depending on the conditions, it might be possible to hike to surface flow.  Inquire with Kalapana Cultural Tours.
    • Ocean entry - At the present time, there are three ways to access the area where lava is flowing into the ocean: (i) walk the approximately 10 miles round trip over the county emergency access road from Kalapana (you can also walk over the road from the National Park side as well) - UPDATE - you are now restricted to .5 miles from the surface flow due to dumb tourists putting themselves in danger and almost getting killed. As a result, viewing ocean entry from land is not as enjoyable as it used to be; (ii) rent a bicycle from one of several companies and ride to the ocean entry; or (iii) pay for Kalapana Cultural Tours (www.kalapanaculturaltours.com) to drive you most of the way and then hike or bike the remaining approximately 1.8 miles each way. 
  • Boat

Caves/lava tubes
  • Thurston Lava Tube (parking now restricted to 30 minutes)
  • Kaumana
  • ranger-led to?
  • Cave 3
  • Kazamura Caves http://kazumuracave.com/

Mountains
  • CAUTION: after SCUBA diving, wait 24 hours before going up the mountains
  • Mauna Loa
    • Mauna Loa Observatory - if this interests you, contact MLO to arrange tour; they'll ask, "you know we don't do astronomy, right?"; will give you code to gate; one-lane, seriously winding and undulating road
    • ways to summit:
      • day hike from parking lot just before MLO gate
      • minimum 3-5 day hike from Mauna Loa Access Road
  • Mauna Kea
    • visitor center for telescopes in evening
    • to do at summit
      • view sunset
      • Keck Observatory
      • Lake Waiau
      • adz quarry

Waterfalls

Historical/museums

Beaches
  • Waipio
  • Kalapana/Kaimu - black sand; 10(?) minute walk over lava rock
  • Punalu'u - black sand; good place to see turtles (I once saw 4)
  • Papakolea/Mahana/Green sand beach - there is a local family that shuttles folks from the parking area to the beach for a nominal fee.  Private tours can also be arranged to the beach and surrounding area.
  • Hapuna - has been rated #1 in US, top 10 international

Snorkeling

Snuba (ages 8+)
  • from shore
    • Snuba Doo available (ages 4-7)
  • Fair Wind snorkel trip to Kealakekua Bay
    • no Snuba Doo
    • may allow <8 if child has done Snuba Doo

SCUBA

Swimming with dolphins

Coffee Farm Tours

NPS sites
  • If you plan on going to more than one NPS site in your time in Hawaii, it probably makes sense to get a Hawaii Tri-Parks Pass, which costs $30 per year for all three parks that collect fees (HAVO,HALE,PUHO), instead of up to $25 for a few days for one park.
  • Hawaii Volcanoes NP (HVNP) (ALL BUT KAHUKU UNIT IS CLOSED FOR NOW)
    • Jaggar Museum/Halemaumau overlook
    • Thurston lava tube (Definitely do the dark end if open, but has been closed for years.)
    • Chain of Craters Rd. to Holei sea arch
    • Kahuku (only weekendsEXPANDED HOURS FOR NOW)
    • Easy hikes:  Sulphur Banks, Devastation Trail, Pu'u Loa Petroglyphs
  • Pu'uhonua o Honaunau NHP
  • Kaloko Honokohau NHP
  • Pu'ukohola Heiau NHS (heiau means temple)

Botanic Gardens
  • Hawaii Tropical Botanical Garden htbg.com

Miscellany
  • Lava Tree State Monument CLOSED
  • Ahalanui (covered by lava, July 2018)
  • Seahorse Farm (great place for kids)- http://seahorse.com/
  • Cape Kumukahi Lighthouse - you can see where the lava came right up to the fence surrounding the lighthouse
  • South Point
  • Atlantis submarine
  • Hilo farmers market, Wednesdays (and Saturdays)
  • Pololu
  • Pana'ewa Rainforest Zoo
  • Mauna Loa Macadamia Nut Visitor Center - skippable; more expensive than Walmart; Rabbi Chazanow, previously of the BI has said that nuts without any chocolate/dairy are PAREVE, including Dry Roasted and Honey Roasted, even when bearing the OU-D

Hotels:
  • Kohala
  • Kona
  • Volcano
  • Hilo

Getting Around:
  • rent a car
    • Harpers - only rental car company that allows you to drive anywhere on the island
  • Bus
  • tours
  • bike
  • hike

Notes:
« Last edited by cgr on February 24, 2022, 09:16:15 PM »

Author Topic: Big Island Of Hawaii Master Thread  (Read 282973 times)

Offline shulem92

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Big Island Of Hawaii Master Thread
« Reply #700 on: August 31, 2016, 10:50:10 PM »
There's a hurricane that's set to hit TBI tomorrow, most national parks are closed (including VNP) and lots of beaches are closed too.
Looks like u got off easy BH

Offline PBaruch

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: August 31, 2016, 10:51:03 PM »
Nice and sunny in kona now and just a bit of rain and wind in hilo.
What do you do after your dreams come true?

Offline 3yummyboys

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: September 01, 2016, 08:37:47 AM »
Left Kona at 848 pm, saw some clouds but otherwise perfect weather. You never know with weather in Hawaii!

Offline @Yehuda

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: December 05, 2016, 12:06:46 PM »
My wife and I are going in November for 7 days with our 3 and 6 year-old children. Staying at  Hilton Waikoloa.

Is a heli the best way to see volcanos/lava?

Would also like to see green/black sand beaches, waterfalls, coffee or chocolate plantatians and charter a snorkeling and fishing trip.

Any suggestions on TBI would be great.
How was the Hilton?

Offline sedge

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: December 05, 2016, 05:16:12 PM »
How was the Hilton?
Outstanding but the F&B is mediocre. Sad they are closing the kids club. They had discontinued the evening program when we were there which posed some issues.

Altogether an excellent experience and Diamond treatment was superb.

Offline Yehoshua

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #705 on: December 19, 2016, 09:58:23 PM »
So I've finally started planning our upcoming BI trip (next month). We have Sun 12:30pm to 12:30pm Thu. Sun/Mon nights are in Volcano while Tue/Wed nights are at the Sheraton (Kona).

Rough plan for Sun pm - Tue am:

Sunday
  • Arrive, get car, shop at Walmart for food
  • Drive to Volcano Airbnb
  • Go to Jagger museum before sunset (sunset is 6:08p) to see the crater by day and night

Monday-Option 1
  • Heli tour of Volcano and waterfalls around 10:30am
  • Another activity: any suggestions?
  • Drive to see lava entering ocean (if still applicable) getting there for sunset to see it by day and night

Monday-Option 2
  • Drive to see lava entering ocean (if still applicable)
  • Go to Mauna Kea visitors center for sunset

Tuesday
  • Go back to VNP to see the sights along Crater Rim Dr.

What I'm not sure about is if I want to do Mauna Kea on Mon or maybe Tue night on the way to the Sheraton. If we do it on Tuesday (which seems to make sense from a driving perspective), that gives us only 1 full day to do things on the Kona side.

I haven't looked into activities there yet, but maybe someone has insights into the Volcano part so far?

Offline shulem92

• View Profile
« Reply #706 on: December 19, 2016, 10:07:48 PM »
So I've finally started planning our upcoming BI trip (next month). We have Sun 12:30pm to 12:30pm Thu. Sun/Mon nights are in Volcano while Tue/Wed nights are at the Sheraton (Kona).

Sunday
  • Go to Jagger museum before sunset (sunset is 6:08p) to see the crater by day and night

Monday-Option 1
  • Drive to see lava entering ocean (if still applicable) getting there for sunset to see it by day and night

Monday-Option 2

Tuesday

What I'm not sure about is if I want to do Mauna Kea on Mon or maybe Tue night on the way to the Sheraton. If we do it on Tuesday (which seems to make sense from a driving perspective), that gives us only 1 full day to do things on the Kona side.

I haven't looked into activities there yet, but maybe someone has insights into the Volcano part so far?
Option 1 sounds better. You would rather have the day/night advantage by the ocean entry than the visitor center.

If u are going to VNP on Tuesday, I would take the scenic route back to the sheraton stopping by the black sand beach, south point, and numerous beaches up the whole kona coast. The drive from VNP to the Sheraton via mauna kea is longer and very boring. I had the same arrival info as u, and I did mauna kea that night. So maybe consider doing that on your way to your volcano airbnb (because that IS on the way)

Offline SSLPhD

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: December 19, 2016, 10:51:16 PM »

Sunday

Monday-Option 1

Monday-Option 2

Tuesday

Unclear---are you flying into Kona or Hilo?  Depending on how Halemaumau is behaving, Jaggar could be a mob scene sunset time.  Same to lava entering ocean.  Both are significantly more peaceful in the early AM.  Also, heli tour is best in the early AM (think the first flight).  Can you do Mauna Kea first day?  Why don't you do HVNP sites (CoC Rd, too) same day as Jaggar?

Your first option for Monday has you in Hilo in the AM, and Kalapana in the PM.  From Volcano, you'd have to drive to Hilo to get to Kalapana, wouldn't make sense to go back in between (maybe if you can get earlier flight it makes more sense).  In the area is the new Kaimu black sand beach, Ahalanui, Lava Trees State Park, Imiloa Astronomy Center, some waterfalls, lighthouse.  For the amount of time you'll be on the BI, I wouldn't spend my time at those.  Akaka Falls might be doable---which way are you driving back to Kona (N,S,Saddle)?
44/50, 46/63

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #708 on: December 19, 2016, 10:51:26 PM »
Option 1 sounds better. You would rather have the day/night advantage by the ocean entry than the visitor center.

If u are going to VNP on Tuesday, I would take the scenic route back to the sheraton stopping by the black sand beach, south point, and numerous beaches up the whole kona coast. The drive from VNP to the Sheraton via mauna kea is longer and very boring. I had the same arrival info as u, and I did mauna kea that night. So maybe consider doing that on your way to your volcano airbnb (because that IS on the way)
Interesting idea. So day I do Mauna Kea on the way to the Airbnb, will I have extra time between picking up the car and food shopping when I get there? I guess not.

Then when  would I go to the Jagger museum at night? I guess we can go Tuesday morning real early, but with sunrise at 6:57 (dawn at 5:49) it would mean a very early morning with a baby. Thoughts?

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #709 on: December 19, 2016, 10:56:49 PM »

Unclear---are you flying into Kona or Hilo?  Depending on how Halemaumau is behaving, Jaggar could be a mob scene sunset time.  Same to lava entering ocean.  Both are significantly more peaceful in the early AM.  Also, heli tour is best in the early AM (think the first flight).  Can you do Mauna Kea first day?  Why don't you do HVNP sites (CoC Rd, too) same day as Jaggar?

Your first option for Monday has you in Hilo in the AM, and Kalapana in the PM.  From Volcano, you'd have to drive to Hilo to get to Kalapana, wouldn't make sense to go back in between (maybe if you can get earlier flight it makes more sense).  In the area is the new Kaimu black sand beach, Ahalanui, Lava Trees State Park, Imiloa Astronomy Center, some waterfalls, lighthouse.  For the amount of time you'll be on the BI, I wouldn't spend my time at those.  Akaka Falls might be doable---which way are you driving back to Kona (N,S,Saddle)?

We're flying into KOA. Problem with AM lava sights is the baby, though maybe the 2 hour time difference would help.

I can take an earlier flight, but that just leaves more time in the afternoon before sunset at the lava by the ocean. If you'd skip all those sights you mentioned, what would you do instead given our limited time?

If we do Mauna Kea on Sunday night then we'd drive the southern route back exploring the sights along the way.

Does that make sense?

Offline shulem92

• View Profile
« Reply #710 on: December 19, 2016, 10:59:55 PM »
Interesting idea. So day I do Mauna Kea on the way to the Airbnb, will I have extra time between picking up the car and food shopping when I get there? I guess not.

Then when  would I go to the Jagger museum at night? I guess we can go Tuesday morning real early, but with sunrise at 6:57 (dawn at 5:49) it would mean a very early morning with a baby. Thoughts?
See my TR I landed 1. Got out of airport in 15 min. Got my car 15 min. Went to Walmart. Checked in by the Sheraton all before 230. So yeah plenty of time. Being that your staying in volcano, u can literally play it by ear. If the website shows that the volcano is erupting you can hop over there anytime... IMO jaggar museum itself shouldn't take more than 15 min.

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #711 on: December 19, 2016, 11:02:26 PM »
See my TR I landed 1. Got out of airport in 15 min. Got my car 15 min. Went to Walmart. Checked in by the Sheraton all before 230. So yeah plenty of time. Being that your staying in volcano, u can literally play it by ear. If the website shows that the volcano is erupting you can hop over there anytime... IMO jaggar museum itself shouldn't take more than 15 min.
I know we can hop over to the museum. It's a 5 minute drive from the Airbnb. Are there any things to see between Walmart and Mauna Kea? I read your TR.  Thanks!

Offline shulem92

• View Profile
« Reply #712 on: December 19, 2016, 11:02:48 PM »

If we do Mauna Kea on Sunday night then we'd drive the southern route back exploring the sights along the way.

Does that make sense?
And explore the south side by night?
Also mauna kea to volcano via south point is extremely long. Check out Google maps from mauna kea visitor center to volcano

Offline shulem92

• View Profile
« Reply #713 on: December 19, 2016, 11:05:20 PM »

I know we can hop over to the museum. It's a 5 minute drive from the Airbnb. Are there any things to see between Walmart and Mauna Kea? I read your TR.  Thanks!
my point was that besides for the ocean entry, the only other sighting of the volcano is at the visitor center a.k.a. jaggar museum. Therefore if it is active at night u can just hop over being that ur staying in volcano itself. Most people planning to do the whole day/sunset/night at the jaggar museum, are only because they're staying far away and they're trying to capitalize/optimize their time

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #714 on: December 19, 2016, 11:23:45 PM »

And explore the south side by night?
Also mauna kea to volcano via south point is extremely long. Check out Google maps from mauna kea visitor center to volcano

No, we'd leave Volcano in the late morning and drive the south side during the day, getting to the Sheraton after dark.

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #715 on: December 19, 2016, 11:24:41 PM »
my point was that besides for the ocean entry, the only other sighting of the volcano is at the visitor center a.k.a. jaggar museum. Therefore if it is active at night u can just hop over being that ur staying in volcano itself. Most people planning to do the whole day/sunset/night at the jaggar museum, are only because they're staying far away and they're trying to capitalize/optimize their time
Good point. We could go Sunday night after Mauna Kea, even if it's just for a few minutes since we'll be close by.

Offline SSLPhD

• View Profile
« Reply #716 on: December 19, 2016, 11:25:48 PM »
1. Overall, night things will be harder for baby because of the time difference.

2. It always takes us hours to get from KOA airport to Volcano.  However long you think it'll take, it'll take longer.

3. Airbnb to Jaggar is going to be more than 5 minutes.  You need to figure 15-20, if you don't want to miss dawn/dusk.

4. Umauma is better than Akaka.  Iirc, not terribly far from Hilo.
44/50, 46/63

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #717 on: December 19, 2016, 11:38:56 PM »
1. Overall, night things will be harder for baby because of the time difference. Maybe, but with only 2 hours (and the baby often going to bed an hour or two late anyways) it's not a big deal. It's much harder coming from the east coast in the summer with a 6 hour difference.

2. It always takes us hours to get from KOA airport to Volcano.  However long you think it'll take, it'll take longer. That's why we were thinking of stopping at Mauna Kea along the way. Do you think that makes sense?

3. Airbnb to Jaggar is going to be more than 5 minutes.  You need to figure 15-20, if you don't want to miss dawn/dusk. Gmaps says 12 minutes to the museum. I understand there will be traffic if it's busy, but as shulem92 pointed out we don't need to be there for dawn and dusk if we can see it by day anything and drive back well after dark to see it again.

4. Umauma is better than Akaka.  Iirc, not terribly far from Hilo. So do you think it's worth doing (with a baby) before heading to Kalapana?

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #718 on: December 20, 2016, 12:12:51 AM »
Modified plan based on the above suggestions:

We have Sun 12:30pm to 12:30pm Thu. Sun/Mon nights are in Volcano while Tue/Wed nights are at the Sheraton (Kona).

Sunday
  • Drive to Mauna Kea visitors center for sunset
  • Go to Jagger museum at night time permitting

Monday
  • Heli tour of Volcano and waterfalls at 9:30am (requires being at ITO at 8:30a and leaving 7:45a) or 10:30a
  • Hike near Hilo, not sure which?
  • Go to Jagger museum at night if we couldn't Sunday

Tuesday
  • Go back to VNP to see the sights along Crater Rim Dr. (including seeing the crater by day)
  • Drive to Kona along Highway 11 (South Road) stopping at Green Sand Beach/South Point

Does this sound better? That way on Wednesday we can go back south to see other sights along highway 11 and/or do other activities. Thoughts?

Offline SSLPhD

• View Profile
« Reply #719 on: December 20, 2016, 01:53:25 AM »
1. Why Mauna Kea?  Sunset or stargazing/telescopes? https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29217-i268-k2316287-Sunset_from_mauna_kea_visitors_center-Island_of_Hawaii_Hawaii.html

2. I've been to Jaggar during the day, I've been to Jaggar at night, I've been to Jaggar at dawn, and I've been to Jaggar at dusk.  The changing colors, etc. is part of the magic.

5:49 dawn Monday before heli flight (even earlier one) works well.  Just be there 5-10 minutes (or more) before dawn, and make sure you have warm clothing.  Or better yet, get to HVNP early Tuesday and spend a few hours.

3. Akaka Falls has nice hike. Umauma, IMO, is much prettier, and/but no hike.  You might have time for both.

4. Don't leave out a black sand beach, if you haven't been to one yet.  Punalu'u is an easy one to access, can do Tuesday.  Or Kaimu, near Kalapana, if you like more privacy.

5. South Point is utterly uninteresting, unless you like those stick lighthouses (?).  I've never seen anyone jump in the winter, just in summer, but maybe I was there at the wrong time of the day/week.

6. Green sand beach best late in day, like if you could catch the last ride out.  Then it's empty, no bugs, less harsh light. Prepare to eat dust.  Support baby's head well on the ride out and back.  Make sure baby is well secured to adult for the way down.  Don't plan on carrying in arms.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 02:06:24 AM by SSLPhD »
44/50, 46/63