Author Topic: WIFI Signal Expander/Extender  (Read 13148 times)

Offline notanonymous

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: WIFI Signal Expander/Extender
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2014, 06:27:52 PM »
Can anyone advise if TP-LINK TL-WR940N Wireless N300 Home Router can be used as an extender?
Even if you can't with the stock firmware, this model is compatible with dd-wrt.

Offline Thingywingy

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2014, 07:38:02 PM »
Perhaps you can provide me with a link that explains that cuz I have no idea what dd-wrt is?
I am sometimes accused of overthinking things. I am still mulling over whether that accusation has merit.

Offline AnonymousUser

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2014, 09:30:56 PM »
Perhaps you can provide me with a link that explains that cuz I have no idea what dd-wrt is?
dd-wrt is an alternative firmware for routers. GIYF.

Offline Thingywingy

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2014, 01:41:07 AM »
Even if you can't with the stock firmware, this model is compatible with dd-wrt.
I searched the DD-WRT Router Database for my TP-LINK TL-WR940N router. The one that comed up ends with ND. Does the "D" at the end make it a different model?
I am sometimes accused of overthinking things. I am still mulling over whether that accusation has merit.

Offline David R

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2014, 02:37:35 AM »
I searched the DD-WRT Router Database for my TP-LINK TL-WR940N router. The one that comed up ends with ND. Does the "D" at the end make it a different model?
Check out this page too. If you still have questions, you should ask on the DD-WRT forum.

Offline Thingywingy

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2015, 03:30:45 PM »
Check out this page too. If you still have questions, you should ask on the DD-WRT forum.
It shows version 1 and 2. mine is a later version. Does that matter?

Can an extender such as TP-LINK TL-WA850RE N300 work for Optimum as well? Or do I need one that functions as a router as well? (I'm not sure where I picked it up that it shouldn't, and why? but I have that in my head).

Is a Network adapter like this Alfa AWUS036NH a better option? I have little network experience, and am pretty confused by all the different kinds of devices available?

Offline Thingywingy

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2015, 01:01:05 AM »
It shows version 1 and 2. mine is a later version. Does that matter?

Correction mine is Ver 2.1. Should that make a difference?

I really can't figure out where to post. The users on that forum seem way more advanced than be. I now founf my model without the (D). The only difference is on the [urlhttp://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices#TP-Link]list[/url] it shows V2 not 2.1. ???

Offline Sowhat

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2015, 11:48:01 AM »
I have a basic Netgear that is not enough for streaming video.  Any suggestions?  I need one to plug flat in the wall, or something similar.  Thanks.

http://www.amazon.com/D-Link-Wireless-Gigabit-Extender-DAP-1650/dp/B00JFOP688?SubscriptionId=AKIAJM4NKIQGABP2PIRA&tag=thewire06-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B00JFOP688&ascsubtag=WC17848 ?

http://www.amazon.com/D-Link-Wireless-Compact-Extender-DAP-1520/dp/B00I48MK9Y?tag=bom_tomsguide-20&ascsubtag=[site|tguus[cat|[art|[pid|B00I48MK9Y[tid|14329144145256221[bbc|LEPRIX ?

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Dual-Band-Wi-Fi-Extender-F9K1122/dp/B00CQJO2AC/?tag=bom_tomsguide-20&ascsubtag=[site|tguus[cat|[art|[pid|B00CQJO2AC[tid|14329144145177671[bbc|LEPRIX?

Offline jack12

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
  • Programs: National Emerald Club Executive Elite, Hertz #1 Club Gold Presidents Circle, Sixt Platinum
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2015, 01:48:55 PM »
I have a Verizon FIOS m1424wr router and there's a room that doesn't have a great connection. Will this extender work with my router? http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-WA850RE-Universal-Wireless-Indicator/dp/B00E98O7GC

Offline yaakov

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2015, 07:53:41 PM »
Does anyone know if anything works to repeat optimum WiFi I tried 2 different ones and none worked. Any tips?

Offline David R

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2015, 12:43:52 AM »
Does anyone know if anything works to repeat optimum WiFi I tried 2 different ones and none worked. Any tips?
Are you talking about the hotspots in public places?

Offline yaakov

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2015, 02:02:36 PM »
Yes

Offline David R

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2015, 02:54:14 PM »
I used DD-WRT on a D-link router to repeat optimumwifi. It works fine. If you have a login for Optimum, save the WAN-facing MAC as one of your devices on their site for a connection free of intrusive login prompts. Other tips: use routing rather than bridging, use a SSID other than optimumwifi for your private side of the network and encrypt it with WPA or WPA2 so others in your vicinity don't use your repeater without permission. You'll be able to connect multiple WiFi devices within range of your repeater and you can plug in multiple wired devices such as VoIP adapters like Obi.

Offline yaakov

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2015, 07:49:04 PM »
Thanks so much will try. I always typed in the mac of the repeater. What's the Wan facing mac

Offline Baruch

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2015, 08:50:28 PM »
I used DD-WRT on a D-link router to repeat optimumwifi. It works fine. If you have a login for Optimum, save the WAN-facing MAC as one of your devices on their site for a connection free of intrusive login prompts. Other tips: use routing rather than bridging, use a SSID other than optimumwifi for your private side of the network and encrypt it with WPA or WPA2 so others in your vicinity don't use your repeater without permission. You'll be able to connect multiple WiFi devices within range of your repeater and you can plug in multiple wired devices such as VoIP adapters like Obi.
Is there a way you can repeat the above in more layman terms?  :)

Offline David R

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2015, 11:21:06 PM »
Probably, but it would take far too much effort.

Offline gozalim

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2015, 02:58:15 AM »
used a similar arrangement to extend a network borrowed from a neighbor. used native router firmware (tp-link) to create my own network. my obi is plugged into said router.
some dchp tweaking to assign IPs in the same subnet as orig. network but different range (so as to avoid conflicts).

now if only I could solve the constant 'unidentified network' at my favorite optimum hotspot... (I need to 'diagnose network'/'correct ip config' 3-4 times an hour...)

Offline jack12

• View Profile
  • Programs: National Emerald Club Executive Elite, Hertz #1 Club Gold Presidents Circle, Sixt Platinum
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2015, 07:07:27 PM »
I have a Verizon FIOS m1424wr router and there's a room that doesn't have a great connection. Will this extender work with my router? http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-WA850RE-Universal-Wireless-Indicator/dp/B00E98O7GC
Update - it works perfectly!

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2015, 07:16:05 PM »
Update - it works perfectly!
For video streaming too ?

Offline jack12

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2015, 01:23:36 PM »
For video streaming too ?
Not sure. Didn't try