Recommended Hotels:
Great experience:

Good Value:

Shabbos/Yom Tov In Florence:

Recommended Activities:

Trips Reports:
jj1000, Eli, Chapshnell, @Yehuda, @Mootkim
« Last edited by Mootkim on December 10, 2018, 02:57:07 PM »

Author Topic: Florence Italy master thread  (Read 110975 times)

Offline @Yehuda

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Re: Florence Italy master thread
« Reply #140 on: May 28, 2014, 11:00:43 AM »
That's my plan exactly.
The thing is - I'm talking to someone who took the private Jewish tour in Barcelona and he said that yes, there's only 1 shul/museum that you can go into anyway, but a lot of great info is covered on the walk around the old community. I'm sure that's how it is in Florence too and Seville and EVERYWHERE! In fact, I don't know why we were to quick to jump on RFJ/JR for Rome - it's also just 2 shuls and a museum that you can buy tickets for yourself and then a walk around the Jewish community. This whole tour or no-tour decision is driving me maddd lol.

I guess, like I said in my thread, going to every tour will be expensive. Pick the ones that are in cities that are known for their Jewish history - Rome, Barcelona, etc. and just visit the shuls/museums yourself in places that are not as well known, like Florence, Toledo, Seville, etc.

Offline Yehoshua

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 28, 2014, 11:15:26 AM »
The thing is - I'm talking to someone who took the private Jewish tour in Barcelona and he said that yes, there's only 1 shul/museum that you can go into anyway, but a lot of great info is covered on the walk around the old community. I'm sure that's how it is in Florence too and Seville and EVERYWHERE! In fact, I don't know why we were to quick to jump on RFJ/JR for Rome - it's also just 2 shuls and a museum that you can buy tickets for yourself and then a walk around the Jewish community. This whole tour or no-tour decision is driving me maddd lol.

I guess, like I said in my thread, going to every tour will be expensive. Pick the ones that are in cities that are known for their Jewish history - Rome, Barcelona, etc. and just visit the shuls/museums yourself in places that are not as well known, like Florence, Toledo, Seville, etc.
I actually just spoke to someone who did the Jewish tours in both Rome and Florence. While she highly recommended RFJ, she did not recommend the Jewish tour in Florence. She said it was very easy to do in your own. The tour focuses on where Jews used to live on Florence so you don't actually see anything.

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 28, 2014, 11:42:35 AM »
I actually just spoke to someone who did the Jewish tours in both Rome and Florence. While she highly recommended RFJ, she did not recommend the Jewish tour in Florence. She said it was very easy to do in your own. The tour focuses on where Jews used to live on Florence so you don't actually see anything.
Ah, that's good. I think that plays off my idea. Some cities had Jews living in them and that's it, some have major stuff to see.

Online SOS

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Avis First, Hertz Five Star, National Executive
« Reply #143 on: May 28, 2014, 12:43:33 PM »
Pick the ones that are in cities that are known for their Jewish history - Rome, Barcelona, etc. and just visit the shuls/museums yourself in places that are not as well known, like Florence, Toledo, Seville, etc.

Playing devils advocate, don't you think you can read up enough information on the famous cities beforehand, that you don't really need a tour, its the small places that are hard to research that you want a tour

Or are you saying that there is nothing in these small towns worth taking a tour?

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 28, 2014, 12:48:42 PM »
Playing devils advocate, don't you think you can read up enough information on the famous cities beforehand, that you don't really need a tour, its the small places that are hard to research that you want a tour

Or are you saying that there is nothing in these small towns worth taking a tour?
I'd say that if you were a European history major and/or Jewish history major you'd probably be wasting your time on tours in any city. While regular non-history buffs can do lots of research into a particular city, it takes a lot of time and effort. Most people would rather spend a few extra bucks to be given a live history lesson than do research online beforehand. Also tours let you skip long lines and often take you to places you cannot go on your own.

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 28, 2014, 01:45:46 PM »
I'd say that if you were a European history major and/or Jewish history major you'd probably be wasting your time on tours in any city. While regular non-history buffs can do lots of research into a particular city, it takes a lot of time and effort. Most people would rather spend a few extra bucks to be given a live history lesson than do research online beforehand. Also tours let you skip long lines and often take you to places you cannot go on your own.
+1

That. How much more does a tour of Florence's city provide than just visiting the shul/museum on your own? From reviews I read and what Yehoshua found out, FLR doesn't have much remaining besides the shuls. I'm not so interested in hearing a guide tell me about the history of the place without being able to show too many physical artifacts/buildings.

Offline Jb93davis

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 28, 2014, 02:40:55 PM »

+1That. How much more does a tour of Florence's city provide than just visiting the shul/museum on your own? From reviews I read and what Yehoshua found out, FLR doesn't have much remaining besides the shuls. I'm not so interested in hearing a guide tell me about the history of the place without being able to show too many physical artifacts/buildings.

I went with a tour group through Italy last summer. There are many levels that you can get in terms of seeing and appreciating the history.
The simplest level is going to the museum yourself. The museum tour will even add to that significantly. My tour guide had done the research and was able to give an even higher level than that.
I personally found out the most from picking up a book and reading it. I went to venice last year and heard from the guide the history. It doesn't touch the actual amount of history there. I found this book lying around my house written by an Italian and then translated. The level of detail is just tremendous. You really get a sense about the history in an intimate way (and when I go this summer back to venice, I think I'll appreciate the city that much more).

Regardless, I think it comes down to how much you like history. If you really care, so you'll find out more and be willing to pay more. If you don't, then why bother. It's te same with the art museums, if you like art you'll be fascinated with a tour.  There's even a chance you'll feel that the tour didn't add enough. If you don't, then you'll feel the tour didn't add much.

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 30, 2014, 04:46:19 PM »
Up to Florence!

Only going to use Jewish Florence Tours if they get back to me that others joined and they can offer it for much less than the 50€ pp they currently want. Otherwise, I plan on just going to the Shul myself. There is a short presentation when you enter and it's given every half hour alternating in Italian and English. I emailed them asking if English is on the hour or the 1/2 hour. Will post when they respond.

After that, I plan on lunch which I'll need to bring from Rome and then going to see David. I decided against Uffizi because I don't think it will interest us that much. Tip for David - TA reviews say the line is pretty long and to book in advance. However, Accademia's site charges a 4.5€ fee for booking online, total of 21.5€ pp. But, once again, on Musement one of the last-listed tours in Florence is Accademia :) On sale now for 20€ minus the 10€ POINTSGUY discount. :D It says the ticket is only valid for the time you choose, so make sure to plan your schedule before picking a time.

After that, I'm just thinking of walking around to Ponte Vecchio for a while and then continue on to Pisa.
Leaning Tower is 18€ on the direct site and surprisingly has no booking fee, but tickets can only be booked 20 days in advance. Once again, our friends at Musement have a ticket option for the Tower at the bottom of the Pisa tours list. 21€ which goes down to 11€ with the 10€ discount. :) Seems like tickets are only valid for the time chosen, so plan your schedule before you buy.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 05:06:21 PM by @Yehuda »

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 30, 2014, 05:30:36 PM »
Leaning Tower is 18€ on the direct site and surprisingly has no booking fee, but tickets can only be booked 20 days in advance. Once again, our friends at Musement have a ticket option for the Tower at the bottom of the Pisa tours list. 21€ which goes down to 11€ with the 10€ discount. :) Seems like tickets are only valid for the time chosen, so plan your schedule before you buy.
I heard the view from the top of the tower are just ok. I'm planning on just taking the pictures in front of the tower and not going up.

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 30, 2014, 05:34:58 PM »
I heard the view from the top of the tower are just ok. I'm planning on just taking the pictures in front of the tower and not going up.
Interesting. Didn't really think about it. Truth is I was actually surprised you could go up when I got to the site. Would save like $30 although I feel like my wife would be like let's go up!

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #150 on: June 03, 2014, 12:31:10 PM »
After that, I plan on lunch which I'll need to bring from Rome and then going to see David. I decided against Uffizi because I don't think it will interest us that much. Tip for David - TA reviews say the line is pretty long and to book in advance. However, Accademia's site charges a 4.5€ fee for booking online, total of 21.5€ pp. But, once again, on Musement one of the last-listed tours in Florence is Accademia :) On sale now for 20€ minus the 10€ POINTSGUY discount. :D It says the ticket is only valid for the time you choose, so make sure to plan your schedule before picking a time.
Did you book these tickets? I was thinking of booking for 3:00pm (seeing the shul in the morning, then lunch). Do you think they'll let you in if you come a little bit early or late? Musement says you can only get in at the time on the tickets, but how makpid are they?

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 03, 2014, 01:13:35 PM »
Did you book these tickets? I was thinking of booking for 3:00pm (seeing the shul in the morning, then lunch). Do you think they'll let you in if you come a little bit early or late? Musement says you can only get in at the time on the tickets, but how makpid are they?
So I actually just spoke with my wife about this (who actually learned about David in Art History class) and we decided that we don't think it's worth going to see. Neither of us are particularly into art that much and neither of us would be wowed by seeing it. It's $15 a person and I think we would appreciate more just walking around Florence more and saving the $30 as we're spending plenty on other attractions whether it's $100 to see Old Rome or $200 to see Mt. Pilatus. That's just our thoughts, and I think we're going to turn down on this idea.

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 03, 2014, 01:27:24 PM »
So I actually just spoke with my wife about this (who actually learned about David in Art History class) and we decided that we don't think it's worth going to see. Neither of us are particularly into art that much and neither of us would be wowed by seeing it. It's $15 a person and I think we would appreciate more just walking around Florence more and saving the $30 as we're spending plenty on other attractions whether it's $100 to see Old Rome or $200 to see Mt. Pilatus. That's just our thoughts, and I think we're going to turn down on this idea.
I hear you. I know, the Rome tours and Mt Pilatus trips are expensive. Neither of us are art people, but we might go to see it anyway. Still thinking about it.

Offline dbel23

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 06, 2014, 12:10:32 AM »
I just read through this whole thread and got some great input, but since I'm going with a serious time constraint, I was hoping to get some help. We will be arriving to florence on a wednesday morning from Venice at around 11:30am with a train to rome at like 515pm.

We definitely want to check out the leather market and do the Rick Steves walking tour, but since we are only there for about 6 hours, we're still trying to figure out how to best spend the time.

My question is this: what is the minimum amount of time that would have to be spent at these places for them to be worth visiting?

1) Synagogue / Museum
2) Uffizi
3) Accademia

Online Ergel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 06, 2014, 12:11:42 AM »
1) 5 minutes, but it is a 20+ minute walk from town
2) 5 minutes
3) can't answer
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline Jb93davis

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 06, 2014, 12:14:38 AM »

1) 5 minutes, but it is a 20+ minute walk from town
2) 5 minutes
3) can't answer

I think each place deserves a lot longer than that...

Online Ergel

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: June 06, 2014, 12:15:54 AM »
I think each place deserves a lot longer than that...
that wasn't the question

Offline dbel23

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 06, 2014, 12:30:06 AM »
thanks for the input.

obviously if i had more time, i would stay there longer. i almost regret organizing it that way, but since we're staying in rome and taking advantage of the spg 4 nights get 5th free award, we didn't want to pay an extra hotel night in Florence.

We'll try to make the most of it.... I really wanted to go to that wine tour that was posted. looks amazing

Anyone else have any thoughts on accademia? If 5 minutes are worth it at the Uffizi, I can't imagine having to spend much more time at accademia after seeing David. Only issue is that the link posted above (http://www.musement.com/en/florence/the-accademia-gallery_tickets) won't let me book it for next week....

Online Ergel

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: June 06, 2014, 12:34:19 AM »
sorry, I mixed up 2 and 3

Offline Srsy

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: June 22, 2014, 02:05:38 AM »
Anyone ever went to the Gucci or Ferragamo museum?