Author Topic: Shipping Books Across the USA  (Read 2624 times)

Offline YudiG

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Shipping Books Across the USA
« on: May 19, 2012, 05:56:30 PM »
Anyone have experience doing so and can recommend a company?

Anyone know the approximate cost for 450 pounds of books from NY to LA?

TIA

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
Re: Shipping Books Across the USA
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 09:19:02 PM »
Try USPS media mail.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 10:19:35 PM »
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline YudiG

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 07:07:34 AM »
thanks...problem is everyone seems to ask for dimensions of boxes...i only have the weight at this point as I havent packed it up...is there any way to just get a price per pound?

Offline Saver2000

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 08:20:12 AM »
thanks...problem is everyone seems to ask for dimensions of boxes...i only have the weight at this point as I havent packed it up...is there any way to just get a price per pound?

IME, Dimensions don't make the price change unless the package is oversized.
(My experience is with priority mail and regular mail. I've never used media mail.)

Try entering a few different dimensions and see if the price  changes.

Offline Name Changed

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Avis Presidents Club, National Executive Elite, Hertz Presidents Circle, Sixt Platinum, SPG Gold, eBay Platinum
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012, 08:59:22 AM »
Media Mail wil deff be the cheapest

Keep in mind:
The maximum size of an item in combined length plus girth (distance around the thickest part) is 108 inches.

Offline ordinary joe

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2012, 03:35:11 PM »
You may want to consider paying a bulk skid rate and having the items ship via freight. I would be quite surprised if you were to find competitive rates with either of the regular carriers including UPS, FedEx or USPS for this much weight shipping ground etc whereas with a freight company you can pay per skid and perhaps even take advantage of that by shipping additional stuff as well.

Another thing worth considering is if you know anyone in your area that owns a business - family, friends etc that do a lot of shipping they will have special rates for these types of items and you may be able to save a bunch by shipping under their account.

Btw as a side note if you are looking for packing supplies - i believe someone requested this earlier try this company theboxery.com. They have a few location but main is in NY for all those NY people out there.

Best,

Offline madopo

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2012, 04:32:34 AM »
I've used Media mail from NY to San Diego and paid approx. $30 a box (I'm quite sure the weight limit for the boxes I used which were the "standard" size egg/ challah type grocery boxes was 30 pounds) after taxes arrived in 1 week. You might want to look at some moving companies though with that weight. also try posting/looking on hillygram.com if anyone is driving/has a lift coming from Ny, this happens more often than you would think.

Offline YudiG

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2012, 06:26:11 AM »
I've used Media mail from NY to San Diego and paid approx. $30 a box (I'm quite sure the weight limit for the boxes I used which were the "standard" size egg/ challah type grocery boxes was 30 pounds) after taxes arrived in 1 week. You might want to look at some moving companies though with that weight. also try posting/looking on hillygram.com if anyone is driving/has a lift coming from Ny, this happens more often than you would think.

thanks...would those boxes fit books?...seems like you're from LA if you're reccomending Hillygram :)...i've got an ad running so we'll see what happens.

Offline ordinary joe

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2012, 04:25:31 PM »
While technically you can use any size box when mailing books the recommended book size that movers typically use is approx a 16''x12''x10''. An egg box is approx 24x12x12. One other thing to consider is the larger the box the heavier it will be due to more books fitting inside. Standard boxes can hold approx 40-45lbs so if you feel your box will weigh more you may want to pack in a heavy duty box maybe even a doublewall corrugated box. Standard egg boxes you get at the groceries are not the best choice as they are not designed for cross country shipping.

Offline madopo

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2012, 05:50:50 AM »
thanks...would those boxes fit books?...seems like you're from LA if you're reccomending Hillygram :)...i've got an ad running so we'll see what happens.
Yes, shipped sforim etc. be careful though they can fine you HEAVILY if you send even a few papers. Only Books CD's tapes. Stop by any post office,they'll give you the standard dimensions (as it needs to be under a certain size) and pick up boxes elsewhere! also try advertising on luach.com