Author Topic: OK to book two flights to two different places at the same time?  (Read 1435 times)

Offline azhoopsfan

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
OK to book two flights to two different places at the same time?
« on: November 11, 2014, 02:27:30 PM »
I have a reservation for a flight on Alaska using BA miles.  I also have another reservation for a different flight (to a different place) on Alaska using BA miles on the same day at roughly the same time.  Which flight I will depends on several things that have not yet been determined and I won't know for sure until a few weeks before the trip. 

I got a call from Alaska about the multiple trips and I said I will look into it and resolve it.  When they called back, I didn't answer. I want to keep both until I know which flight I will take, but do not want to risk Alaska or BA unilaterally cancelling one or both of them. 

Has anyone dealt with this before?

Offline dealfinder85

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
Re: OK to book two flights to two different places at the same time?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 02:29:58 PM »
I have a reservation for a flight on Alaska using BA miles.  I also have another reservation for a different flight (to a different place) on Alaska using BA miles on the same day at roughly the same time.  Which flight I will depends on several things that have not yet been determined and I won't know for sure until a few weeks before the trip. 

I got a call from Alaska about the multiple trips and I said I will look into it and resolve it.  When they called back, I didn't answer. I want to keep both until I know which flight I will take, but do not want to risk Alaska or BA unilaterally cancelling one or both of them. 

shady

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 02:35:10 PM »

Wow, didn't know AS (or any airline) was on top of things like this as it appears they are.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Mordy788

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 02:37:21 PM »
Most airlines monitor for Dupe bookings. The usually cancel at least one of them. If they are both not ticketed, the most recent booking is usually cancelled.

You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take. –Wayne Gretzky

Offline azhoopsfan

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2014, 02:38:00 PM »
The call from Alaska was about 2 weeks ago and nothing has happened since then. 

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2014, 02:55:33 PM »
Most airlines monitor for Dupe bookings. The usually cancel at least one of them. If they are both not ticketed, the most recent booking is usually cancelled.

Is this considered a dupe booking?

My impression was that a dupe booking would be the same person on a flight twice.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2014, 02:57:07 PM »
Is this considered a dupe booking?

My impression was that a dupe booking would be the same person on a flight twice.
Of course.
AA would cancel one of these itins in a heartbeat.

Other airlines are less sophisticated.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline MosheD

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2014, 02:58:33 PM »
Why can't you just tell them what you told us? I don't see how this is violating anything... They just don't want to ticket flights that won't be flown

Offline MEIR613

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2014, 03:05:30 PM »
The airlines don't like when you just "hold" seats.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2014, 03:13:50 PM »
Why can't you just tell them what you told us? I don't see how this is violating anything... They just don't want to ticket flights that won't be flown

Your last clause undermines your first.