Author Topic: American Express Platinum ICC  (Read 1600 times)

Offline radzinx

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
American Express Platinum ICC
« on: June 16, 2022, 06:32:20 AM »
Hello,

I have Amex Platinum International Currency Card in Euro through HSBC Premier expat services. I am neither a resident of the UK nor US. I am a resident of the EU.

With Amex ICC cards I am not able to take advantage of MR offers (e.g.: 2 x points) available on Amex travel UK or US. Do you have any suggestions regarding my situation in order to use perks offered on more attractive US or UK markets?

Do you think if I apply for a supplementary USD card I will be able to log in Amex Travel US? Probably not...

Is there a way to get Amex card in US or UK but not being a resident?

Thanks in advance.

Offline moe8555

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
Re: American Express Platinum ICC
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2022, 03:42:08 PM »
Hello,

I have Amex Platinum International Currency Card in Euro through HSBC Premier expat services. I am neither a resident of the UK nor US. I am a resident of the EU.

With Amex ICC cards I am not able to take advantage of MR offers (e.g.: 2 x points) available on Amex travel UK or US. Do you have any suggestions regarding my situation in order to use perks offered on more attractive US or UK markets?

Do you think if I apply for a supplementary USD card I will be able to log in Amex Travel US? Probably not...

Is there a way to get Amex card in US or UK but not being a resident?

Thanks in advance.

The ICC USD card won't help you.  As limited as the ICC is in terms of earning, just remember that the insurances and coverages on it beat anything you could possibly get on literally any U.S. card.  And it has some extra travel benefits that the American Platinum doesn't have.

You can get a U.S. Amex, but it will take some work and time....

Offline radzinx

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2022, 02:48:48 AM »
The ICC USD card won't help you.  As limited as the ICC is in terms of earning, just remember that the insurances and coverages on it beat anything you could possibly get on literally any U.S. card.  And it has some extra travel benefits that the American Platinum doesn't have.

Thanks. For us in Europe the choice of cards is quite limited. The best perks are offered for US and UK customers. It seems I have to live what I have  ;D

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2022, 09:12:30 AM »
Thanks. For us in Europe the choice of cards is quite limited. The best perks are offered for US and UK customers. It seems I have to live what I have  ;D

US interchange rates are significantly higher than elsewhere and interchange affects Amex’s margin in each market and the effective benefits they can offer cardholders in that market while still making a profit.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline moe8555

• View Profile
  • Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2022, 02:01:07 AM »

Well if you do any reasonable amount of traveling, even just one use of the 4 hour trip delay and/or luggage delay benefit can pay the entire annual fee...  In the U.S., best you can find is 6 hours.  Also the rental car insurance including 3rd party liability up to $1 million in the U.S. is huge.  No U.S. cards offer 3rd party liability.

And again, you can get a U.S. Amex, but it will take time and effort.

Offline radzinx

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2022, 04:46:22 AM »
Any specific ideas how to do that?

Is there a way to collect double, triple, etc. MR points with ICC? Or it is always 1 EUR to 1 point?

Thanks!

Offline moe8555

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2022, 03:26:56 PM »
Any specific ideas how to do that?

Is there a way to collect double, triple, etc. MR points with ICC? Or it is always 1 EUR to 1 point?

Thanks!

No way to boost point earning unless there is a special promotion (there was 2X for a few months in 2020 and 2021).

As for getting a U.S. card, it involves opening a bank account while you are physically in the U.S., getting a secured card, and then over time building your credit until you are ready to apply for an Amex.  This can all be done as a foreign person, no ITIN or social security number required.  Just takes time and effort.

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2022, 03:33:56 PM »
No way to boost point earning unless there is a special promotion (there was 2X for a few months in 2020 and 2021).

As for getting a U.S. card, it involves opening a bank account while you are physically in the U.S., getting a secured card, and then over time building your credit until you are ready to apply for an Amex.  This can all be done as a foreign person, no ITIN or social security number required.  Just takes time and effort.

A foreign person with no ITIN or SSN can apply and get approved for a US Credit Card? How? (I know you posted the steps, but other than opening up a bank account for a non-US person, which I'm familiar with, I have no clue how it is possible with Credit Cards).
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline moe8555

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2022, 05:12:09 PM »
A foreign person with no ITIN or SSN can apply and get approved for a US Credit Card? How? (I know you posted the steps, but other than opening up a bank account for a non-US person, which I'm familiar with, I have no clue how it is possible with Credit Cards).

Short version: 100% of people I know that did this opened an account at BOFA in person and also took out a secured credit card from them at the same time with a tiny limit. They then used it sparingly for six months to build their credit report.  Afterwards, you can apply for an entry-level Amex card like the no AF Hilton and get approved.  Must be done by phone.
 After some time with the entry level, you can then apply for a better card.

It turns out that the credit bureaus create a file/report/score even with no social or ITIN solely based on name, address, and date of birth.  Those of us with socials or ITINs simply never knew since it wasn't an issue for us.

Offline radzinx

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2022, 05:45:39 AM »
Many thanks for all suggestions!