Topic Wiki

Links to kosher symbol lists. Each list is obviously only as reliable as its source

cRc: http://www.crcweb.org/agency_list.php

KosherQuest: https://kosherquest.org/kosher-symbols/

Approved alcoholic drinks from the Rabbanut.  http://www.jerusalemkoshernews.com/wp-content/uploads/%D7%9E%D7%A9%D7%A7%D7%90%D7%95%D7%AA-%D7%97%D7%A8%D7%99%D7%A4%D7%99%D7%9D-%D7%9E%D7%90%D7%95%D7%A9%D7%A8%D7%99%D7%9D.pdf

These are NOT Orthodox: https://sites.google.com/site/nonorthodoxkosher/home (even though some may look legit)

Informative post regarding Kashrus Agencies
Every hashgacha has +&-.

You can also submit any kashrus questions at
https://www.askcrc.org/ask
https://oukosher.org/ask-kosher-question/
https://www.star-k.org/ask-rabbi choose General Consumer Kashrus Questions in the Subject/Topic Dropdown list
https://www.ok.org/contact/ choose Kosher in the Attention Dropdown list

Author Topic: Kosher, Kashrus and Hechsherim Master thread  (Read 940171 times)

Offline cholent

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Kosher, Kashrus and Hechsherim Master thread
« Reply #1300 on: August 22, 2017, 02:34:46 AM »
Is this true about the OU in israel that it's a totally different hechsher then the onein America and has nothing to do with each other?  (for example a honey nut cheerios which has an OU.

And what about FIBRE1 in israel made by nestle with a hechsher from Portugal (vaad hachasrus of portugal.( looks like a K inside an upside down shield or the window of a king.
And they even leave you a number to be reached at (1-700-50-10-88

Or is there a reliable person that can be called to verify the hecsherim in israel,meaning a rav in israel that's reliable to hold from? Thanks.
Not true. Rabbi Elefant, who is the COO of OU kosher and a talmid chacham whom I greatly respect, has confirmed for me multiple times that they have the same standards (and they are definitely the same organization)
Don't ask stupid questions and you won't get stupid answers

Offline moko

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: August 22, 2017, 06:46:05 AM »
Not true. Rabbi Elefant, who is the COO of OU kosher and a talmid chacham whom I greatly respect, has confirmed for me multiple times that they have the same standards (and they are definitely the same organization)
I'm not commenting one way or the other on the original question, but asking Rabbi Elefant about the reliability of the OU is the best proof, even if he's right. (I have nothing but respect for Rabbi Elefant. I have a close personal and professional relationship with him)
Just pointing it out....

Offline cholent

• View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: August 22, 2017, 06:49:32 AM »
I'm not commenting one way or the other on the original question, but asking Rabbi Elefant about the reliability of the OU is the best proof, even if he's right. (I have nothing but respect for Rabbi Elefant. I have a close personal and professional relationship with him)
Just pointing it out....
On the contrary. He is in the best position to know. Your point would be fair if I didn't trust him and respect him at the level I do. And he himself relies on ou Israel when he is there
Don't ask stupid questions and you won't get stupid answers

Offline churnbabychurn

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: August 22, 2017, 07:23:33 AM »
Is this true about the OU in israel that it's a totally different hechsher then the onein America and has nothing to do with each other?  (for example a honey nut cheerios which has an OU.

And what about FIBRE1 in israel made by nestle with a hechsher from Portugal (vaad hachasrus of portugal.( looks like a K inside an upside down shield or the window of a king.
And they even leave you a number to be reached at (1-700-50-10-88

Or is there a reliable person that can be called to verify the hecsherim in israel,meaning a rav in israel that's reliable to hold from? Thanks.
I don't know really, but how can it be a separate hechsher if it's the same one?

Anyway, the benei Torah in ey (Israelis) have never eaten OU. This is primarily due to the fact that the orthodox Union is a modern orthodox hashgacha and organization. Combined with the fact that they have a whole bunch of mainstream solid other options for kashrus.

Offline moko

• View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: August 22, 2017, 07:57:04 AM »
On the contrary. He is in the best position to know. Your point would be fair if I didn't trust him and respect him at the level I do. And he himself relies on ou Israel when he is there
no argument from regarding Rabbi Elefant. But I'm just pointing out that your comment is not likely to be sufficient to quell internet rumors.

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #1305 on: August 22, 2017, 08:08:51 AM »
I don't know really, but how can it be a separate hechsher if it's the same one?

Anyway, the benei Torah in ey (Israelis) have never eaten OU. This is primarily due to the fact that the orthodox Union is a modern orthodox hashgacha and organization. Combined with the fact that they have a whole bunch of mainstream solid other options for kashrus.
The "never" is not a very long one though. While it was administered by R Rubin everyone are it because of him. Since then they seem to have gone through some organizational issues. These can someone mean that even if they have great standards they may not be supervising and enforcing their adherence adequately. This would not be a contradiction to them having the same standards as here.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: August 22, 2017, 08:44:56 AM »
What you would think in your ignorance is irrelevant. It it's easy and common to use a pasteurizer for various items. Your thoughts that clam chowder would need different equipment than juice is without basis as is your assumption that a plant which dries coffee would (more relevant than could) also dry milk. It would be silly to do it due to the specialized system needed for milk.

Again, is there anyone knowledgeable who disagrees with these hechsherim about this or is it only your baseless feelings?
Please. Clam chowder is clam soup. Doesn't just need "pasturizing" like some fruit juice.
Powdered milk is closer to powdered coffee, then clam chowder to apple juice.

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: August 22, 2017, 08:51:44 AM »
Please. Clam chowder is clam soup. Doesn't just need "pasturizing" like some fruit juice.
Powdered milk is closer to powdered coffee, then clam chowder to apple juice.

On what basis are you saying this? Was the chowder cooked there or was it only packaged?

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: August 22, 2017, 11:00:53 AM »
On what basis are you saying this? Was the chowder cooked there or was it only packaged?
Dunno, but lumping chowder w apple juice, that just needs pasturizing is wrong.

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: August 22, 2017, 12:10:28 PM »
Dunno, but lumping chowder w apple juice, that just needs pasturizing is wrong.
Okay I see. Good thing that instead of you running hechsherim they are run by people who actually make sure to know the facts.

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: August 22, 2017, 01:20:48 PM »
Okay I see. Good thing that instead of you running hechsherim they are run by people who actually make sure to know the facts.
The whole discussion is based on the evidence that they appear to not know the fact that not only coffee is being made.
Your aurgument is basically that they for sure know. Because they are a professional corporate, internationally renowned kashruth organization.

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: August 22, 2017, 02:40:31 PM »
The whole discussion is based on the evidence that they appear to not know the fact that not only coffee is being made.
Your aurgument is basically that they for sure know. Because they are a professional corporate, internationally renowned kashruth organization.

I have shown that your premise is simply incorrect. YOu  are making ignorant assumptions that it is made on the drying equipment with zero basis in fact. My argument had nothing to do with their reputation at all and I did not mention it even once. I did ask 3 times if there was anyone who has knowledge of facts who disagrees with the assessment of all of these organizations and you have ignored it all three times. I have written based upon first hand knowledge of some of the equipment and processes as well as personal discussions with people who know them much better than I do.

It is also ridiculous to assume that the OU has no clue that there is dairy in a coffee plant since Nestle most likely had a conversation with them about having the OU on these cans as well. That would somewhat inform the RC in charge of coffee that there is dairy there I would think.

Offline yitrap

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: August 22, 2017, 02:58:18 PM »
No, If CBC ran them nobody would be OTD  :P

Offline myi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 356
    • View Profile
  • Programs: 2Many2List!
« Reply #1313 on: August 22, 2017, 06:49:14 PM »

I guess that would explain why this south African guy who came to visit israel is busy brain washing me that there are two different OU's and not the same reliable.
 And he even agrees he would not eat the ou as he relies on the one hechsher they have in south Africa, while here is israel he will eat only the fachnachta brands.

I do see that nestle makes the cheerios and even says, cereal partners worldwide nestle and general mills.
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline yitrap

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: August 22, 2017, 06:57:55 PM »
I guess that would explain why this south African guy who came to visit israel is busy brain washing me that there are two different OU's and not the same reliable.
 And he even agrees he would not eat the ou as he relies on the one hechsher they have in south Africa, while here is israel he will eat only the fachnachta brands.

I do see that nestle makes the cheerios and even says, cereal partners worldwide nestle and general mills.
South Africa has more then one hechsher.

Offline thaber

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile

Offline good sam

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: September 01, 2017, 06:41:10 PM »
Anyone?

I know Tartikov but never seen this symbol.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 06:53:56 PM by good sam »
If you don't care why would you comment?
HT: DMYD

Offline moko

• View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: September 02, 2017, 08:26:51 PM »
Anyone?

I know Tartikov but never seen this symbol.
This is the more Americanized version of Tartikov Bais Din- R' Shmeil Teitelbaum.
All the heimeshe hashgachos are creating more Americanized symbols. Volove Rav has VK.

Offline myi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 356
    • View Profile
  • Programs: 2Many2List!
« Reply #1318 on: September 04, 2017, 03:20:17 PM »

Is this a reliable hechsher?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 04:30:53 PM by myi »
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline Alexsei

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
    • Travel & Kivrei Zadikim
  • Programs: COVID-23
« Reply #1319 on: September 04, 2017, 06:01:00 PM »

Is this a reliable hechsher?
Rabbanut?
Jews ≠ Zionists
Palestinians ≠ Hamas