Topic Wiki

Links to kosher symbol lists. Each list is obviously only as reliable as its source

cRc: http://www.crcweb.org/agency_list.php

KosherQuest: https://kosherquest.org/kosher-symbols/

Approved alcoholic drinks from the Rabbanut.  http://www.jerusalemkoshernews.com/wp-content/uploads/%D7%9E%D7%A9%D7%A7%D7%90%D7%95%D7%AA-%D7%97%D7%A8%D7%99%D7%A4%D7%99%D7%9D-%D7%9E%D7%90%D7%95%D7%A9%D7%A8%D7%99%D7%9D.pdf

These are NOT Orthodox: https://sites.google.com/site/nonorthodoxkosher/home (even though some may look legit)

Informative post regarding Kashrus Agencies
Every hashgacha has +&-.

You can also submit any kashrus questions at
https://www.askcrc.org/ask
https://oukosher.org/ask-kosher-question/
https://www.star-k.org/ask-rabbi choose General Consumer Kashrus Questions in the Subject/Topic Dropdown list
https://www.ok.org/contact/ choose Kosher in the Attention Dropdown list

Author Topic: Kosher, Kashrus and Hechsherim Master thread  (Read 967982 times)

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
Re: Kosher, Kashrus and Hechsherim Master thread
« Reply #1400 on: December 29, 2017, 11:27:19 AM »
I had a rabbi like that. He wouldn't eat anywhere. It took us some time to figure out the reason.
It's definitely the healthiest option, like a Chabad Pesach all year around. He wasn't overweight at all.
I'd say if you want to be really sure you're eating kosher to with all your added chumros and criteria one has they should really just be eating all their own grown food. But with all the issues of worms, and bugs etc you could end up going hungry. 
"Not all who wander are lost"

Online avromie7

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: December 29, 2017, 11:28:42 AM »
There is also a middle ground. There are some who can tell you and advise you about various OU products, but you would probably need to get to know them first and not just be a random guy asking them. I have gotten advice about various products from R Weisner of the KCL for example. Otherwise, yes you are excluding Heinz Ketchup, GM cereals, Hellmans Mayo (that was once milchig according to R Heineman), Coke etc.
Anyone can ask Rabbi Weisner and he'll give you his opinion on any product or hechsher. Generally speaking he'll approve of anything OU that's not fish, meat or poultry, or grape (there may be others that he doesn't approve of but I can't remember off hand).
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Online Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #1402 on: December 29, 2017, 11:32:32 AM »
There is also a middle ground. There are some who can tell you and advise you about various OU products, but you would probably need to get to know them first and not just be a random guy asking them. I have gotten advice about various products from R Weisner of the KCL for example. Otherwise, yes you are excluding Heinz Ketchup, GM cereals, Hellmans Mayo (that was once milchig according to R Heineman), Coke etc.
So this is what I might sound like without snark.

Offline churnbabychurn

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: December 29, 2017, 11:52:05 AM »
So this is what I might sound like without snark.
You're fine the way you are ;)

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: December 29, 2017, 11:53:54 AM »
I don't have time or energy to start becoming a food kashrus expert. Wish there was more of a demand for a chareidy hechsher in the USA..

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #1405 on: December 29, 2017, 12:02:08 PM »
I don't have time or energy to start becoming a food kashrus expert. Wish there was more of a demand for a chareidy hechsher in the USA..
If you someone you trust you can ask them about the specific products you really care about.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: December 29, 2017, 12:14:56 PM »
Anyone can ask Rabbi Weisner and he'll give you his opinion on any product or hechsher. Generally speaking he'll approve of anything OU that's not fish, meat or poultry, or grape (there may be others that he doesn't approve of but I can't remember off hand).
I have gotten product specific advice from him. Maybe that is where the relationships come in.

Online avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: December 29, 2017, 12:22:04 PM »
I have gotten product specific advice from him. Maybe that is where the relationships come in.
I don't ask him but parents do and they always get specific advice, and they don't have a relationship with him. All I was saying was that IINM, generally he approves of OU products unless they fall into one of the above mentioned categories
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: December 29, 2017, 12:36:01 PM »
I don't ask him but parents do and they always get specific advice, and they don't have a relationship with him. All I was saying was that IINM, generally he approves of OU products unless they fall into one of the above mentioned categories
Not my experience

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
« Reply #1409 on: December 29, 2017, 12:50:58 PM »
This sounds like you are referring to the myth that no heimishe product can be better than the OU since they need to rely on the OU for the basic ingredients.
I never said that, and wouldn't consider that a true statement. What I meant is that in today's world of food production, all Kashrus agencies rely on each other to a certain extent. Especially if you would also want to avoid majors such as OK and Star-K, they definitely rely on the OU for many ingredients.

Just look at DO threads, Pesach program threads, or open up your eyes to what's going on all over, and you'll see that many, if not most, don't care much other than having what is perceived to be (reliable) Hashgocho.

As for the term Chareidy Hechsher, that is such a meaningless term. What defines such. In recent years we've seen new Hechsherim pop up like mushrooms. They slap on the word Badatz or Mehadrin and oilam goilam buys into it. Some might be more competent than others, and some might not have the resources, knowledge, or even skills to operate in today's food production environment (restaurants being a totally different story).

It should be noted, as I pointed out to a friend once, that to be machmir or to say ossur doesn't require any knowledge of halacha. Shulchan Oruch is needed in order to know what is muttar. That being said, you want to know that the authority giving the psak is yerei shomayim merabim, and preferably removed from financial motivation.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #1410 on: December 29, 2017, 12:53:03 PM »
I never said that, and wouldn't consider that a true statement. What I meant is that in today's world of food production, all Kashrus agencies rely on each other to a certain extent. Especially if you would also want to avoid majors such as OK and Star-K, they definitely rely on the OU for many ingredients.
The looks like you did not read what I wrote in its entirety. They may rely but not blindly.

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #1411 on: December 29, 2017, 01:03:21 PM »
It should be noted, as I pointed out to a friend once, that to be machmir or to say ossur doesn't require any knowledge of halacha. Shulchan Oruch is needed in order to know what is muttar. That being said, you want to know that the authority giving the psak is yerei shomayim merabim, and preferably removed from financial motivation.
There is another issue which is what they feel their mission is. The OU considers its mission to be that there be a wide range of kosher products available to the maximum number of people. That requires them to rely on a different level of psak than someone whose mission is to get the highest standard for those who are looking for it.

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #1412 on: December 29, 2017, 01:05:19 PM »
Just look at DO threads, Pesach program threads, or open up your eyes to what's going on all over, and you'll see that many, if not most, don't care much other than having what is perceived to be (reliable) Hashgocho.
Or this thread

http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=88894.0

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #1413 on: December 29, 2017, 01:30:11 PM »

As for the term Chareidy Hechsher, that is such a meaningless term. What defines such. In recent years we've seen new Hechsherim pop up like mushrooms. They slap on the word Badatz or Mehadrin and oilam goilam buys into it. Some might be more competent than others, and some might not have the resources, knowledge, or even skills to operate in today's food production environment (restaurants being a totally different story).

A bona fide left wing modern orthodox organization is very well defined though.

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: December 29, 2017, 01:50:40 PM »
A bona fide left wing modern orthodox organization is very well defined though.

There is a difference between the political organization and the kashrus division though.

Offline thaber

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: December 29, 2017, 02:08:16 PM »
There is a difference between the political organization and the kashrus division though.
+1000
also @churnbabychurn not withstanding the truth to what @aygart said above, there is a large interdependency. I've had the privilege of being at a meeting with the heads of every single NY based hashgocha, bar none. at the end of the day, for a specific raw ingredient, all of them, bar none, from MO to the chassidishe rebbes,  pointed to one guy, said we rely on him, and notwithstanding the significant issues with the product and his hashgocha on that product, it's his (and his organizations) achrayus, not ours.

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: December 29, 2017, 02:32:10 PM »
notwithstanding the significant issues with the product and his hashgocha on that product, it's his (and his organizations) achrayus, not ours.
Which is untrue

Online moko

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: December 29, 2017, 02:40:15 PM »
yes and no. The OU was poiretz geder in allowing a restaurant to operate milchigs and fleishigs with one dining hall. That was due to pressure from board members

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #1418 on: December 29, 2017, 02:41:50 PM »
yes and no. The OU was poiretz geder in allowing a restaurant to operate milchigs and fleishigs with one dining hall. That was due to pressure from board members
There being a difference does not mean they have no connection or influence. Rabbi Genack is not quite chassidish either.

Offline thaber

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: December 29, 2017, 03:23:00 PM »
Which is untrue
Of course. But they all said it.