Topic Wiki

Links to kosher symbol lists. Each list is obviously only as reliable as its source

cRc: http://www.crcweb.org/agency_list.php

KosherQuest: https://kosherquest.org/kosher-symbols/

Approved alcoholic drinks from the Rabbanut.  http://www.jerusalemkoshernews.com/wp-content/uploads/%D7%9E%D7%A9%D7%A7%D7%90%D7%95%D7%AA-%D7%97%D7%A8%D7%99%D7%A4%D7%99%D7%9D-%D7%9E%D7%90%D7%95%D7%A9%D7%A8%D7%99%D7%9D.pdf

These are NOT Orthodox: https://sites.google.com/site/nonorthodoxkosher/home (even though some may look legit)

Informative post regarding Kashrus Agencies
Every hashgacha has +&-.

You can also submit any kashrus questions at
https://www.askcrc.org/ask
https://oukosher.org/ask-kosher-question/
https://www.star-k.org/ask-rabbi choose General Consumer Kashrus Questions in the Subject/Topic Dropdown list
https://www.ok.org/contact/ choose Kosher in the Attention Dropdown list

Author Topic: Kosher, Kashrus and Hechsherim Master thread  (Read 985070 times)

Offline Iz

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
Re: Kosher, Kashrus and Hechsherim Master thread
« Reply #1680 on: March 20, 2018, 12:43:17 PM »
Of course. Just pick the ones without flavors if you're worried about the hashgocha.

There are also 3rd party pods under other hechshers, but I'd be very surprised if you are told that you can't use Nespresso unflavored pods under their hechsher.
Got it. Thanks!

Online ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #1681 on: March 20, 2018, 01:00:06 PM »
Of course. Just pick the ones without flavors if you're worried about the hashgocha.

There are also 3rd party pods under other hechshers, but I'd be very surprised if you are told that you can't use Nespresso unflavored pods under their hechsher.

I asked the same source that told me (with details) that the Hashgocho is unreliable, whether the unflavored pods could be used. His response was that he's unfamiliar with the manufacturing/packing process of the pods in order to comment. Generally unflavored coffee doesn't need hashgocho, he just wasn't sure if there's anything unique about the pods.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #1682 on: March 20, 2018, 01:04:07 PM »
I asked the same source that told me (with details) that the Hashgocho is unreliable, whether the unflavored pods could be used. His response was that he's unfamiliar with the manufacturing/packing process of the pods in order to comment. Generally unflavored coffee doesn't need hashgocho, he just wasn't sure if there's anything unique about the pods.
I've asked a higher-up in the OU about pods and was told they're OK. As I said, AYLOR.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #1683 on: March 20, 2018, 05:07:43 PM »
Does anyone know about the reliability of Badatz of Basel, Switzerland? Thanks.
Rabbi Eidlitz has Nespresso under Basel Kosher Commission (Rabbi Levinger) on his acceptable products for Pesach kosher list:
https://kosherquest.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/KIB-pesach-2018_with-cover2.pdf

So that should settle that.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Online ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #1684 on: March 20, 2018, 05:27:07 PM »
Rabbi Eidlitz has Nespresso under Basel Kosher Commission (Rabbi Levinger) on his acceptable products for Pesach kosher list:
https://kosherquest.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/KIB-pesach-2018_with-cover2.pdf

So that should settle that.

Well, I find his language possibly misleading:

Coffee Nespresso Capsules - This product is under
Basel Kosher Commission (Rabbi Levinger) yearround
and does NOT require a special certification
for Pesach. This product-line includes Nespresso
Classic (NC) Range, Nespresso Professional (NP)
Range and Nespresso Vertuo

Yet even Rabbi Levinger clearly states that:
Nespresso Classic – Variations: Vanilio, Caramelito, Ciocattino, Ciocco Ginger, Vanilla Amaretti, Vanilla Cardamom, Apfelstrudel, Linzer Torte, Sachertorte,
Nespresso Vertuo – Variations: Vanizio, Hazelino, Caramelizio, Pumpkin Spice Cake, Gingerbread, Banana Bread.
Nespresso Professional – Variations:  Espresso Caramel, Espresso Vanilla
produced by Nestle Nespresso, in Orbe and Romont, Switzerland, are kosher parve but not for Passover use.

Now one could interpret Rabbi Eidlitz's guide to say only unflavored, if it is read after some of the preceding paragraphs, but I would say the language "This product is under Basel Kosher Commission (Rabbi Levinger) yearround and does NOT require a special certification for Pesach" could definitely be misleading.

Furthermore. People in the know (who have interacted with Rabbi Levinger or met his so-called mashgichim) told me that a product under his certification is to be treated as one with no certification. If none is required, then it's good, otherwise, can't be trusted.

ETA: I just went back to search for what I was told about Levinger on a whatsapp group, and here is the exact quote: "Levinger is worthless as a hashgacha. He has a Goy mashgiach in Turkey." "ומצווה לפרסם".
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 05:37:22 PM by ExGingi »
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline Iz

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #1685 on: March 21, 2018, 09:01:46 AM »
According to my kashrus expert, unflavored coffee with caffeine does not need a hashgocha, even for Pesach. Flavored or decaf coffee always needs a hashgocha, for which this hechsher is sufficient, except for Pesach, when he would not rely on it. If you want more details, feel free to PM me.

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #1686 on: March 21, 2018, 09:15:25 AM »
According to my kashrus expert, unflavored coffee with caffeine does not need a hashgocha, even for Pesach. Flavored or decaf coffee always needs a hashgocha, for which this hechsher is sufficient, except for Pesach, when he would not rely on it. If you want more details, feel free to PM me.
https://oukosher.org/passover/guidelines/food-items/coffee/

Coffee & TeaOU Kosher StaffAll unflavored ground coffees are acceptable for Passover use when bearing an OU.Decaffeinated coffee:Coffee is often decaffeinated by means of ethyl acetate, which is derived from either kitniyot or chometz. Certain brands of decaffeinated coffee are approved when appearing a regular OU symbol. Please check the OU Passover product search or consult the OU Passover guide for a complete list.Instant coffees often contain maltodextrin, which is derived from either corn (kitniyot) or wheat (chometz). Therefore, all instant coffees require special Passover certification. Please check the product search or consult the OU Passover guide for a complete list of instant coffees approved with a regular OU symbol.Keurig/K-Cups: K-Cup Packs are NOT regular coffee grounds. Therefore one may not use their year-round or office Keurig on Pesach unless it is cleaned extremely well and kashered. (Please see the Modern Kitchen article on p. 24 of our Passover directory for exact details). For those wishing to invest in a new Keurig machine, there are indeed several dozen K-cups that are acceptable for Pesach, even though they are not labeled OU-P. A complete list is available on the oupassover.org search engine.Please be advised that the OU symbol often appears on the box and not on the individual cup.Unflavored tea bags (including black, white, and green) are acceptable for Pesach without special supervision. Decaffeinated and instant teas require special Passover certification unless listed as approved with a regular OU symbol. See product search or the Passover guide for a complete list.

On the other hand....

http://www.ok.org/isitkosher/coffee-kosher-passover/
Is Coffee Kosher for Passover?[/size]Coffee production poses many Passover concerns, so special Kosher for Passover certification is required.
See over 560 coffee products certified OK Kosher for Passover[/size]5 coffee concerns on PassoverInstant coffee is frequently spray dried. While most coffee facilities own their own spray dryers, some send their products to be spray dried at outside (non-coffee) facilities. These outside facilities could be drying many other products including chometz. Without proper hashgacha and koshering between runs it would render the products not acceptable for Pesach
[/color][/size][/size][/font][/color]
  • Another challenge relates specifically to decaffeinated coffee. One of the methods used to decaffeinate the coffee relies on the use of ethyl acetate, which can be derived from chometz.
  • Some facilities that pack coffee also pack drinks derived from grains. Though not a year-round kashrus concern, this can be a Passover concern if there is no hashgacha to ensure that the equipment was properly cleaned for Passover.
  • In addition, over the years coffee has become quite an expensive product. An unscrupulous company may have an incentive to adulterate the coffee with other ingredients, which could again be chometz.
  • Flavored coffees come with a separate set of possible concerns. Flavors can be made up of many ingredients, including many which are unacceptable for Passover and may even be non-kosher. For this reason, flavored coffee requires a hechsher for year-round use and should be avoided on Passover unless bearing a special Passover certification.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline avromie7

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #1687 on: March 21, 2018, 09:24:15 AM »
He has a Goy mashgiach in Turkey." "ומצווה לפרסם".
I don't know the details of what happened there, but it wouldn't necessarily be an issue.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline myi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 356
    • View Profile
  • Programs: 2Many2List!
« Reply #1688 on: March 26, 2018, 06:06:36 PM »
Does that P near the triangle k mean Kosher lipesach?
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline how

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #1689 on: March 26, 2018, 09:36:53 PM »
Purim

Offline A3

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1690 on: March 26, 2018, 10:33:24 PM »
It's a triangle K, so I doubt it means kosher lipesach. I would think more like Passover

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #1691 on: March 26, 2018, 11:04:05 PM »
Purim
Lol.
  Let alone the triangle k for the year I will use but for pesach wanted to know what that little p was all about?
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #1692 on: March 27, 2018, 11:11:56 AM »
What do you guys have to say about these olives?

Offline moko

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1693 on: March 27, 2018, 11:13:48 AM »
Been confirmed by R' Cheskel Meisels that it is NOT kosher lpesach

Offline DTM

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1694 on: March 27, 2018, 12:41:37 PM »
How does Gefen explain the label? More importantly, what will they do to inform the public before Pesach? Not everyone will read the English, especially if sold in Israel and even here in some Chasidishe areas.

Offline Moshe123

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Lost
« Reply #1695 on: March 27, 2018, 01:09:47 PM »
Just another reason to back the chumrah of minimizing bought products for pesach, the most possible.

Offline moko

• View Profile
« Reply #1696 on: March 27, 2018, 02:07:08 PM »

Offline Live N Learn

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1697 on: April 02, 2018, 02:17:54 AM »
I'll make this offer...if anyone is in Boston and would like to see how KVH Kosher operates, I'll personally (bl"n) give them a tour of a food service facility of their choice. Answer any question they ask...

Any Chol Hamoed tours?  ;)
".איזהו חכם, הלומד מכל אדם"

Offline moko

• View Profile
« Reply #1698 on: April 02, 2018, 05:49:12 AM »
Any Chol Hamoed tours?  ;)
sure. We have several places open for pesach

Offline shaulyaakov

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1699 on: April 02, 2018, 07:35:35 AM »
What actually the story with milk bought on Chol Hamoed? Regular Chalav Stam.