Topic Wiki

Links to kosher symbol lists. Each list is obviously only as reliable as its source

cRc: http://www.crcweb.org/agency_list.php

KosherQuest: https://kosherquest.org/kosher-symbols/

Approved alcoholic drinks from the Rabbanut.  http://www.jerusalemkoshernews.com/wp-content/uploads/%D7%9E%D7%A9%D7%A7%D7%90%D7%95%D7%AA-%D7%97%D7%A8%D7%99%D7%A4%D7%99%D7%9D-%D7%9E%D7%90%D7%95%D7%A9%D7%A8%D7%99%D7%9D.pdf

These are NOT Orthodox: https://sites.google.com/site/nonorthodoxkosher/home (even though some may look legit)

Informative post regarding Kashrus Agencies
Every hashgacha has +&-.

You can also submit any kashrus questions at
https://www.askcrc.org/ask
https://oukosher.org/ask-kosher-question/
https://www.star-k.org/ask-rabbi choose General Consumer Kashrus Questions in the Subject/Topic Dropdown list
https://www.ok.org/contact/ choose Kosher in the Attention Dropdown list

Author Topic: Kosher, Kashrus and Hechsherim Master thread  (Read 966058 times)

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
Re: Kosher, Kashrus and Hechsherim Master thread
« Reply #2180 on: May 09, 2019, 11:19:50 PM »
ou relays on no one they are a legit organization best running  kashrus agency in the usa maybe even the world
There’s no such thing as not relying on anyone in today’s kashrus world. Relying doesn’t make someone not legit.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline yitzgar

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2181 on: May 09, 2019, 11:38:03 PM »

ou relays on no one they are a legit organization best running  kashrus agency in the usa maybe even the world

You have inside knowledge?

Offline thaber

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2182 on: May 09, 2019, 11:41:12 PM »
Does anyone know about Teva meat from costco? its under the OU and Reb Dovid Miller from monsey, but I can't seem to find out much about R' Dovid Miller, besides a ZMAN article, which I definitely don't consider reliable.
Anyway, to answer your question, teva is a LA based company, and I am pretty sure it was started by two chassidishe yungerleit. Rabbi Miller has a shul at 68 Carlton road in Monsey.
Interestingly, it seems to be owned by Golden west did group, which explains how they got into Costco and trader Joe's
http://eriklitmanovich.com

Offline moko

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2183 on: May 10, 2019, 07:09:01 AM »
Is that true with meat? Or is the other way around, with the Chassidishe hechsher being the primary, and the OU mostly relying on it?
+100

Offline moko

• View Profile
« Reply #2184 on: May 10, 2019, 07:10:43 AM »
Anyway, to answer your question, teva is a LA based company, and I am pretty sure it was started by two chassidishe yungerleit. Rabbi Miller has a shul at 68 Carlton road in Monsey.
Interestingly, it seems to be owned by Golden west did group, which explains how they got into Costco and trader Joe's
http://eriklitmanovich.com
Rabbi Miller was also an RC for the OU in charge of meat for many years.
http://www.gwfg.com/our-brands/

Offline moko

• View Profile
« Reply #2185 on: May 10, 2019, 07:16:21 AM »
Most of the time the 2nd hechsher to the OU just sends someone twice a year to pickup the check.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #2186 on: May 10, 2019, 09:51:45 AM »

The OU definitely has some very good things about their standards, procedures, and transparency, but they are far from perfect.

I'm no expert in the world of Kashrus, but based on my understanding there are different areas, each requiring a somewhat different expertise and skill-set.

1. Food manufacturing plants. This is where the OU excel (and I believe the OK does very well too) with their extensive knowledge and capabilities in modern food technology manufacturing, wide reach and extensive database. And in these cases you are somewhat correct in that when there's an OU and another supervision, the other supervision relies heavily on the OU, sometimes they add certain extra stringencies (such as rejecting certain runs), but overall for the ingredients and maintaining overall kosher production, they rely on the OU.

2. Local food establishment supervision. This is a totally different story. The OU does have the standards and procedures, but in these cases it is much more dependent on the local Mashgiach and the owner of the establishment. I don't know what their standards and procedures are, but I'm sure they are quite transparent and can be asked. In this area they are not necessarily better or worse than others, they just have their standards. It's not common to have a dual supervision on a food establishment, but it's likely that in places where those exist, the OU might be relying on the other supervision for mashgiach hiring and oversight.

3. Shechita. This is a totally different ballgame. As hinted in another thread I started, shechita cannot objectively be deemed good or not good, it's highly subjective as it relies on the Yiras Shomaim of the Shochet (the bedika and kashering could definitely be deemed objective, but there's no-way one can call Shochet screening objective. Yes, there is an objective part to it in preparing the Shechita knife, but the actual מעשה השחיטה depends on the Yiras Shomaim of the Shoechet.) It would be an extremely long stretch to think that anyone that really cares about Glatt Kosher meat would rely on the OU for that, especially if talking about an operation that's not the size of Empire Chicken.
-- Dan

Offline avromie7

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2187 on: May 10, 2019, 10:38:41 AM »
3. Shechita. This is a totally different ballgame. As hinted in another thread I started, shechita cannot objectively be deemed good or not good, it's highly subjective as it relies on the Yiras Shomaim of the Shochet (the bedika and kashering could definitely be deemed objective, but there's no-way one can call Shochet screening objective. Yes, there is an objective part to it in preparing the Shechita knife, but the actual מעשה השחיטה depends on the Yiras Shomaim of the Shoechet.) It would be an extremely long stretch to think that anyone that really cares about Glatt Kosher meat would rely on the OU for that, especially if talking about an operation that's not the size of Empire Chicken.
I beg to differ. Even when it comes to shechita you are relying on eid echad ne'eman b'issurin, that being said if the OU's (or any hechsher) standards are below what you want, then they are basically telling you that their meat doesn't meet your standards.

Can you explain what you are saying about Empire?
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Online yelped

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #2188 on: May 10, 2019, 10:43:15 AM »
I think you meant, is the size of Empire..

Online aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #2189 on: May 10, 2019, 10:44:00 AM »
I beg to differ. Even when it comes to shechita you are relying on eid echad ne'eman b'issurin, that being said if the OU's (or any hechsher) standards are below what you want, then they are basically telling you that their meat doesn't meet your standards.

Can you explain what you are saying about Empire?
You need to understand that al pi chassidus there are aspects of the kavonos of the shochet etc which pass on into the meat. This is a big part of the various inyanei kedusha that chassidishe hechsherim are makpid on specifically for shochtim. I fully understand that you may not be noheig that way, but it is not without reason.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #2190 on: May 10, 2019, 10:44:48 AM »

You have inside knowledge?
Based on what he wrote I would say he has outside propoganda.

Offline how

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2191 on: May 10, 2019, 10:59:22 AM »
You need to understand that al pi chassidus there are aspects of the kavonos of the shochet etc which pass on into the meat.
source?

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #2192 on: May 10, 2019, 11:05:25 AM »
source?
Hearing it from some chassidishe talmidei chachomim

Offline Eliyohu

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2193 on: May 10, 2019, 11:13:14 AM »

2. Local food establishment supervision. This is a totally different story. The OU does have the standards and procedures, but in these cases it is much more dependent on the local Mashgiach and the owner of the establishment. I don't know what their standards and procedures are, but I'm sure they are quite transparent and can be asked. In this area they are not necessarily better or worse than others, they just have their standards. It's not common to have a dual supervision on a food establishment, but it's likely that in places where those exist, the OU might be relying on the other supervision for mashgiach hiring and oversight.

This is one particular area that ou is much better then most in regards to mashgiach timidi, who hires them etc..

Offline sky121

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #2194 on: May 10, 2019, 11:28:57 AM »
Can someone tell me the name of this certification?
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #2195 on: May 10, 2019, 11:30:11 AM »
You need to understand that al pi chassidus there are aspects of the kavonos of the shochet etc which pass on into the meat.

I have no clue what that is about. Never heard of this from a reliable Chassidishe source before, nor do I know that this could have any halachic standing. It would be terrible if a shochet is focused on "kavonos" rather than making sure that the shechita is 100% al pi din without any of the 5 things that can invalidate the shechita from being kosher.
-- Dan

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #2196 on: May 10, 2019, 11:41:43 AM »
I have no clue what that is about. Never heard of this from a reliable Chassidishe source before, nor do I know that this could have any halachic standing. It would be terrible if a shochet is focused on "kavonos" rather than making sure that the shechita is 100% al pi din without any of the 5 things that can invalidate the shechita from being kosher.
Of course, but why would the OU have a harder time with basic yiras shomayim than a chassidishe hechsher?

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #2197 on: May 10, 2019, 11:46:19 AM »
Of course, but why would the OU have a harder time with basic yiras shomayim than a chassidishe hechsher?

It's not about a harder time, it's about what they might consider in evaluating it (which is really not something objective, though some use objective standards as a screening test, such as mikvah, dress code, shaving, etc.). Just ask CBC.
-- Dan

Online aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #2198 on: May 10, 2019, 11:52:18 AM »
It's not about a harder time, it's about what they might consider in evaluating it (which is really not something objective, though some use objective standards as a screening test, such as mikvah, dress code, shaving, etc.). Just ask CBC.
If that is the question then I would be more comfortable with someone who evaluates based on evaluating yiras shomayim itself over someone evaluating an action that technically can be done by anyone on the street and is no real indication of what matters. A rav hamachshir who is makpid on those items told me very specifically that it is because of reasons al pi chassidus and the effect the shochet has on the meat that he is makpid on those things and that he does not consider it to be kashrus related at all.

Offline Shkop

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2199 on: May 10, 2019, 02:30:09 PM »

If OU does not have a harder time  than chassidishe hechsherim finding a shochet with Yiras Shamayim because basing authenticity on things like amount of times one goes to the mikvah isn't objective, why did you write that it would be an extremely long stretch to think that anyone that really cares about Glatt Kosher meat would rely on the OU for that

Your words seem rather contradictory.
A democracy is a form of government, not an intrinsic truth