Topic Wiki

Links to kosher symbol lists. Each list is obviously only as reliable as its source

cRc: http://www.crcweb.org/agency_list.php

KosherQuest: https://kosherquest.org/kosher-symbols/

Approved alcoholic drinks from the Rabbanut.  http://www.jerusalemkoshernews.com/wp-content/uploads/%D7%9E%D7%A9%D7%A7%D7%90%D7%95%D7%AA-%D7%97%D7%A8%D7%99%D7%A4%D7%99%D7%9D-%D7%9E%D7%90%D7%95%D7%A9%D7%A8%D7%99%D7%9D.pdf

These are NOT Orthodox: https://sites.google.com/site/nonorthodoxkosher/home (even though some may look legit)

Informative post regarding Kashrus Agencies
Every hashgacha has +&-.

You can also submit any kashrus questions at
https://www.askcrc.org/ask
https://oukosher.org/ask-kosher-question/
https://www.star-k.org/ask-rabbi choose General Consumer Kashrus Questions in the Subject/Topic Dropdown list
https://www.ok.org/contact/ choose Kosher in the Attention Dropdown list

Author Topic: Kosher, Kashrus and Hechsherim Master thread  (Read 988548 times)

Offline Buruch

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Re: Kosher, Kashrus and Hechsherim Master thread
« Reply #3080 on: January 07, 2022, 02:31:03 AM »
Is Badatz Lyon, France under Rabbi Teboul a good hashgacha?

Offline NTorch

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 68
    • View Profile
« Reply #3081 on: February 02, 2022, 11:56:12 AM »
Nuts Factory sells product in Aron's Kissena Farms which is a store under the Va'ad of Queens. Some of their product is pre-packed with an Israeli hashgacha on the label while others are available to scoop and weigh on site.

Nuts Factory just opened a concession inside the Shoprite in New Hyde Park (Long Island) which appears to be the same products as at AKF but under National Kosher (R' Mehlman). Like at AKF there is some prepack with the same Israeli hashgacha, some prepack with nothing on the label, and the ability to scoop and weigh on site. The Teudah indicates that everything sold there is covered by the National Kosher supervision.

Does anyone know whether Nuts Factory uses different products based on location (they have other stores in Roosevelt Field and NYC as well) or if its the same product regardless of where you buy it?

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline yelped

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #3083 on: February 02, 2022, 08:59:25 PM »
https://mishpacha.com/step-up-to-the-plate/
Thank you for sharing. I feel like this should be stickied in many threads on DDF.

Offline jose34

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3084 on: February 02, 2022, 10:22:40 PM »

Offline EliJelly

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3085 on: February 03, 2022, 01:08:03 AM »
https://mishpacha.com/step-up-to-the-plate/

Rabbi Yakov Teichman, the rabbinical coordinator responsible for the operations of the Food Service Department at OK Kosher Certification, relates how OK head Rabbi Don Yoel Levy a”h decided to pull fresh liver off the shelves of a particular kosher supermarket. Liver has to be broiled within three days of shechitah in order to be considered kosher, and when this store began selling the fresh livers, Rabbi Levy, the rav hamachshir, decided to take a survey of the women in his office to see if they knew the proper procedure for kashering the livers.

When only one woman knew the appropriate method, the agency first tried putting instructions on the packages and posting signs next to the product. When even that didn’t work out, they insisted that the store stop selling it. Rabbi Teichman saw the results immediately.

“The next week,” he relates, “a woman came into the store while we were present and asked why livers were no longer available. We asked her how she had previously prepared the livers, and from her answer, it was clear that she had been doing so in a manner that did not properly clean out the blood, and in all probability left the livers treif,” he said.

By that logic, fresh blackberries and raspberries shouldn't be sold either at heimishe supermarkets. It always pains me to see at Bingo and other stores these fresh berries displayed so temptingly, most likely to be consumed by a yid who has no idea that these are infested with no way to get rid of it's infestation. (Strawberries and blueberries are a pain in the the neck to clean them too, but unlike raspberries, there's a way to do it and hopefully the consumer follows it).

Offline Euclid

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3086 on: February 03, 2022, 01:09:45 AM »
By that logic, fresh blackberries and raspberries shouldn't be sold either at heimishe supermarkets. It always pains me to see at Bingo and other stores these fresh berries displayed so temptingly, most likely to be consumed by a yid who has no idea that these are infested with no way to get rid of it's infestation. (Strawberries and blueberries are a pain in the the neck to clean them too, but unlike raspberries, there's a way to do it and hopefully the consumer follows it).
https://matzav.com/crc-fresh-blueberries-no-longer-need-extensive-washing-and-checking/

Offline EliJelly

• View Profile
« Reply #3087 on: February 03, 2022, 01:12:11 AM »
https://matzav.com/crc-fresh-blueberries-no-longer-need-extensive-washing-and-checking/
Wow, good to know that for blueberries at least. On the Star-K website they still require the full process, perhaps it's not updated.

Offline Moshe Green

• View Profile
« Reply #3088 on: February 03, 2022, 05:38:07 AM »

many use berries in shakes where grinding them up will matir them.

Offline jye

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3089 on: February 03, 2022, 07:52:53 AM »
many use berries in shakes where grinding them up will matir them.
That still would not be matir raspberries and blackberries which are muchzak bitolaim. With regard to strawberries a shake would be ok but most consumers would pick up frozen strawberries in the freezer section for that. The more expensive fresh strawberries in containers are largely sold to be eaten as is, and only a fraction of consumers at best clean them properly. I remember years ago watching a yungerman from BMG demonstrate by examinomg  random pints of strawberries purchased in Shoprite, after they had been thoroughly washed in water with soap, pointing out a host of crawling aphids that remained on the berries. They really don’t belong being sold fresh in a heimish supermarket.

Offline moko

• View Profile
« Reply #3090 on: February 03, 2022, 08:11:06 AM »
That still would not be matir raspberries and blackberries which are muchzak bitolaim. With regard to strawberries a shake would be ok but most consumers would pick up frozen strawberries in the freezer section for that. The more expensive fresh strawberries in containers are largely sold to be eaten as is, and only a fraction of consumers at best clean them properly. I remember years ago watching a yungerman from BMG demonstrate by examinomg  random pints of strawberries purchased in Shoprite, after they had been thoroughly washed in water with soap, pointing out a host of crawling aphids that remained on the berries. They really don’t belong being sold fresh in a heimish supermarket.
you can peel strawberries or use a brush.

Offline Essen est zich

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 31
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Nichoach Vol 2
« Reply #3091 on: February 03, 2022, 08:21:05 AM »
you can peel strawberries or use a brush.

To be realistic, no one does that.

I have a hard time trying to explain to my friends about to need to properly check berries and I feel there is a lot of denial in our community in that regard.

We are all humans and forget, it would be beneficial for each community to make a yearly refresher class for Kashrut (and no only that, we do it for holidays and taharas mishapcha) why not for Kashrut as well.

As our kids starting being more active in the kitchen, they don't know anything, they just follow what the parents do.
Shloffen Shloft Zich

Offline moko

• View Profile
« Reply #3092 on: February 03, 2022, 08:36:27 AM »
To be realistic, no one does that.

I have a hard time trying to explain to my friends about to need to properly check berries and I feel there is a lot of denial in our community in that regard.

We are all humans and forget, it would be beneficial for each community to make a yearly refresher class for Kashrut (and no only that, we do it for holidays and taharas mishapcha) why not for Kashrut as well.

As our kids starting being more active in the kitchen, they don't know anything, they just follow what the parents do.
I know many who brush and quite a few who peel

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #3093 on: February 03, 2022, 08:55:14 AM »
They won't look nice to put on a platter but will still be perfect for that strawberry shortcake.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline jye

• View Profile
« Reply #3094 on: February 03, 2022, 09:37:34 AM »
I do too but then again my sphere consists largely of those who are very cognizant and up to date in halacha. I would be willing to wager a considerable sum of money that over 90% of those who pick up a fresh pint of strawberries in the heimishe supermarket to eat fresh are not consuming them according to halacha.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #3095 on: February 03, 2022, 10:37:53 AM »

Indeed. And same goes for brussels sprouts (and possibly artichokes, broccoli and cauliflower).
-- Dan

Offline jye

• View Profile
« Reply #3096 on: February 03, 2022, 11:20:35 AM »
People just don’t look and they make assumptions.I see lots of run of the mill Lakewood yeshivaleit buying products at random off the shelves of Bingo, some with chug chassam Sofer hechsher, some with even lesser standard Israel hechsheirim. These same people would only eat the 4 or 5 widely held hechsheirim when they go to Israel but if it’s on the shelf in Bingo it must be up to Lakewood standards.
🤷🏻‍♂️

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #3097 on: February 03, 2022, 11:46:08 AM »
People just don’t look and they make assumptions.I see lots of run of the mill Lakewood yeshivaleit buying products at random off the shelves of Bingo, some with chug chassam Sofer hechsher, some with even lesser standard Israel hechsheirim. These same people would only eat the 4 or 5 widely held hechsheirim when they go to Israel but if it’s on the shelf in Bingo it must be up to Lakewood standards.
🤷🏻‍♂️

IME Bingo (and Osher Ad in Israel) definitely carries products with Hechsherim that many wouldn't find acceptable.
-- Dan

Offline avromie7

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3098 on: February 03, 2022, 11:51:24 AM »
People just don’t look and they make assumptions. I see lots of run of the mill Lakewood yeshivaleit buying products at random off the shelves of Bingo, some with chug chassam Sofer hechsher, some with even lesser standard Israel hechsheirim. These same people would only eat the 4 or 5 widely held hechsheirim when they go to Israel but if it’s on the shelf in Bingo it must be up to Lakewood standards.
🤷🏻‍♂️
You just went from accusing anyone who picks up a container of strawberries of not cleaning them properly (which may or may not be true) to accusing anyone who eats something that isn't Badatz of essentially eating tarfus. SMH
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #3099 on: February 03, 2022, 11:55:30 AM »
You just went from accusing anyone who picks up a container of strawberries of not cleaning them properly (which may or may not be true) to accusing anyone who eats something that isn't Badatz of essentially eating tarfus. SMH

I didn't see that in @jye's post
-- Dan