Topic Wiki

Links to kosher symbol lists. Each list is obviously only as reliable as its source

cRc: http://www.crcweb.org/agency_list.php

KosherQuest: https://kosherquest.org/kosher-symbols/

Approved alcoholic drinks from the Rabbanut.  http://www.jerusalemkoshernews.com/wp-content/uploads/%D7%9E%D7%A9%D7%A7%D7%90%D7%95%D7%AA-%D7%97%D7%A8%D7%99%D7%A4%D7%99%D7%9D-%D7%9E%D7%90%D7%95%D7%A9%D7%A8%D7%99%D7%9D.pdf

These are NOT Orthodox: https://sites.google.com/site/nonorthodoxkosher/home (even though some may look legit)

Informative post regarding Kashrus Agencies
Every hashgacha has +&-.

You can also submit any kashrus questions at
https://www.askcrc.org/ask
https://oukosher.org/ask-kosher-question/
https://www.star-k.org/ask-rabbi choose General Consumer Kashrus Questions in the Subject/Topic Dropdown list
https://www.ok.org/contact/ choose Kosher in the Attention Dropdown list

Author Topic: Kosher, Kashrus and Hechsherim Master thread  (Read 992377 times)

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
Re: Kosher, Kashrus and Hechsherim Master thread
« Reply #3560 on: July 14, 2022, 09:40:40 PM »
must be an age related issue :)
Experience is commonly age related.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline thaber

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3561 on: July 14, 2022, 09:49:48 PM »

I don’t quite know what you mean.
I’ll just say, Raisins is what set me off, I saw a sign from a heimeshe hechsher that it’s problematic, but most national organizations say it’s ok. I was curious to understand why that is, is it a disagreement in Halacha? Metzious? So I stated making some phone calls. First thing I was told by someone in a national hechsher, is that even generally good hechsherim can be woefully inept in these inyanim. Some are simply more on top of their game than other. Or have interesting shitos that you or your LOR might not be comfortable with.
No need to pick on this example. I’m simply explaining why there are people who don’t trust every organizations about these things. They may have looked into it a bit. Their LOR might have. You don’t want to? Knock yourself out, but there is no need to be antagonistic about it..

Somebody made an accusation? If anything I said is interpreted as such it was with carefulness.

That's how I read that comment, yes.

Offline imayid2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3562 on: July 14, 2022, 09:54:16 PM »
That's how I read that comment, yes.
How would you suggest conveying this important info in a more careful way than that. I’m asking honestly.

Offline thaber

• View Profile
« Reply #3563 on: July 14, 2022, 10:17:08 PM »
How would you suggest conveying this important info in a more careful way than that. I’m asking honestly.
Honestly, not sure what info you were trying to convey, I'm still not sure what you were mechadesh, other than a possibility of an infested batch of rice. I've seen plenty of alerts about infestation in barley or rice from the certifying agency in the past so I'm not sure how we got to dumping on ordinarily reliable hashgochos.

Offline imayid2

• View Profile
« Reply #3564 on: July 14, 2022, 10:37:21 PM »
Honestly, not sure what info you were trying to convey, I'm still not sure what you were mechadesh, other than a possibility of an infested batch of rice. I've seen plenty of alerts about infestation in barley or rice from the certifying agency in the past so I'm not sure how we got to dumping on ordinarily reliable hashgochos.
This latter part of the conversation has nothing to do with the rice, nor with its certifying agency, which is a above standard hashgacha in these inyanim.

Offline thaber

• View Profile
« Reply #3565 on: July 14, 2022, 10:39:31 PM »
This latter part of the conversation has nothing to do with the rice, nor with its certifying agency, which is a above standard hashgacha in these inyanim.
Ok. So in a nutshell, what was the chidush? What was the point you were trying to get across?

Offline imayid2

• View Profile
« Reply #3566 on: July 14, 2022, 10:49:41 PM »
Ok. So in a nutshell, what was the chidush? What was the point you were trying to get across?
You asserted I made an accusation. You pointed to a post I made. Yet you don’t find a any chiddush there. So, in what way is it accusatory?
I have been making the rather simple point that in regards to kosher certification it’s wise to be an educated consumer. I’d imagine you agree.

Offline imayid2

• View Profile
« Reply #3567 on: July 14, 2022, 10:53:34 PM »
I'm still not sure what you were mechadesh, other than a possibility of an infested batch of rice.
Is this for real?
Listen I’m merely passing on information I’ve obtained about this case for those that care. You are entitled to disregard it at your own risk.

Offline dealmaster

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3568 on: July 14, 2022, 10:54:45 PM »
That's why I follow the national hechsherim and not the heimishe hechsherim. Do you remember when a heimishe hechsher put out a letter saying grey goose vodka is treif without evidence?
to make a rule of national vs heimish is ridiculous, each category has some who are reliable and some that are lousy. How small minded is it to lump all hiemish hechsherim in the same non-competent category because 1 of them put out a statement without evidence? Also in regards to national hechshierim, they are often times relying on a kulah which leaves room for more problems, I.e. the kulah it self may not be something that your standard of halachik observance allows for, you just simply don’t know what is being relied on. And hechsherim change policy ( animal Taurine for example) if in the first place the hechsher would have taken the stringent opinion this would not have been an issue. Always do your due diligence
"THE ONLY EASY DAY WAS YESTERDAY"-US NAVY SEALS-something any growing person will always bear in mindוהוי לומד מכל אדם

Offline avromie7

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3569 on: July 14, 2022, 11:41:29 PM »
to make a rule of national vs heimish is ridiculous, each category has some who are reliable and some that are lousy. How small minded is it to lump all hiemish hechsherim in the same non-competent category because 1 of them put out a statement without evidence? Also in regards to national hechshierim, they are often times relying on a kulah which leaves room for more problems, I.e. the kulah it self may not be something that your standard of halachik observance allows for, you just simply don’t know what is being relied on. And hechsherim change policy ( animal Taurine for example) if in the first place the hechsher would have taken the stringent opinion this would not have been an issue. Always do your due diligence
I don't blame you for not following, but it was a continuation of the discussion that started here.

My LOR told me to rely on the OU, OK, CRC, and Star-k when it comes to toilaim.

Now back to your point, sure there are times that a national hechsher relies on a kulah that I don't, but otherwise eid echad ne'eman b'issurin.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline imayid2

• View Profile
« Reply #3570 on: July 14, 2022, 11:48:04 PM »
Now back to your point, sure there are times that a national hechsher relies on a kulah that I don't, .
How do you know when? Did you omit some guidelines from your LOR?
but otherwise eid echad ne'eman b'issurin.
You might want to see the תבואת שור about this.

Offline avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #3571 on: July 15, 2022, 12:05:05 AM »
How do you know when? Did you omit some guidelines from your LOR?
Not in regards to toilaim. Tuna fish comes to mind.
R' Moshe Feinstein is good enough for me. See below from R' Reuven Feinstein.

Offline imayid2

• View Profile
« Reply #3572 on: July 15, 2022, 12:08:07 AM »
.R' Moshe Feinstein is good enough for me. See below from R' Reuven Feinstein.
Yes he did have an interesting opinion on this. You’re certainly entitled to follow it. Though I hope you respectfully understand those that don’t.

Offline avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #3573 on: July 15, 2022, 12:16:47 AM »
Yes he did have an interesting opinion on this. You’re certainly entitled to follow it. Though I hope you respectfully understand those that don’t.
I have no issue with anyone following halacha as they learn it from their rebbeim. Quite the contrary, that's what should be done. Personal "chumros" and hergeshim is a different story.

Offline thaber

• View Profile
« Reply #3574 on: July 15, 2022, 01:02:27 AM »
I'm responding as respectfully as I can, to clarify my point.

You asserted I made an accusation. You pointed to a post I made. Yet you don’t find a any chiddush there. So, in what way is it accusatory?
I have been making the rather simple point that in regards to kosher certification it’s wise to be an educated consumer. I’d imagine you agree.
you called hechsheirim inept, and woefully so. you agreed it was accusatory and asked how to say it better. I asked what "it" was, and you're saying to be educated. so the answer to your question is - say to be educated without throwing hashgochas and the rabbonim behind them under the bus.
And of course, we all know about OU tuna fish. I don't eat it. that's a good example of being an educated consumer, and one that comes up weekly here, so we all know it.
Is this for real?
Listen I’m merely passing on information I’ve obtained about this case for those that care. You are entitled to disregard it at your own risk.
Again, you did so based on your limited exposure. And then gave a hard time to anyone who rationally pointed out that it may be limited. And proceeded to put the blame on the hashgochas and their rabbonim.
Hagaon Rav Moshe Feinstein ZT"L didn't "have an interesting opinion". He wrote a brilliant teshuva on the sugya. Please bring Maareh Mekomos of those who are choilek, and please make sure you understand a sugya with clarity before dismissing the poisek hador as having an interesting opinion.

I'm only trying to keep the respect due to Talmidei Chachamim of stature intact. Personal chumras and hanhagos are 1000% ok, and I'm all for education and information. But please try to frame it in a way that isn't making someone else 'wrong'. Unless, like KLBD, tablet K or triangle K, the mainstream halachik community considers them to be wrong

Offline imayid2

• View Profile
« Reply #3575 on: July 15, 2022, 01:30:41 AM »
Again, you did so based on your limited exposure. And then gave a hard time to anyone who rationally pointed out that it may be limited.
Define limited. What was my exposure?
And proceeded to put the blame on the hashgochas and their rabbonim.
I did? Where?
. Hagaon Rav Moshe Feinstein ZT"L didn't "have an interesting opinion". He wrote a brilliant teshuva on the sugya. Please bring Maareh Mekomos of those who are choilek, and please make sure you understand a sugya with clarity before dismissing the poisek hador as having an interesting opinion.
I believe I quoted one. And ח”ו I wasn’t dismissive. The subject of עד אחד נאמן באיסורים and נאמנות is beyond this forum. And is way beyond what this whole discussion was about. It was simply to acknowledge that kashrut organizations aren’t created equal. They have their respective strengths and weaknesses. Feel free to reword this point in the most respectful way possible.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2022, 01:40:10 AM by imayid2 »

Offline imayid2

• View Profile
« Reply #3576 on: July 15, 2022, 09:31:09 AM »
Hagaon Rav Moshe Feinstein ZT"L didn't "have an interesting opinion". He wrote a brilliant teshuva on the sugya. Please bring Maareh Mekomos of those who are choilek, and please make sure you understand a sugya with clarity before dismissing the poisek hador as having an interesting opinion.
This isn’t adding up. @avromie7 has correctly asserted, to our specific context
regarding education,  that according to Rav Moshe as presented by his children (he doesn't exactly outline this in his tshevos,) nemanus is a reason to not educate yourself too much about the policies of different organizations. By being somech on nemanus your will be immune to the outcome of a flawed policy.
You find it dismissive to point out this isn't universally accepted by any stretch of the imagination. You self righteously demand mareh mekomos.
Yet at the same time you yourself write, in your own words
I'm all for education and information.
Dunno how this makes any sense.

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #3577 on: July 15, 2022, 09:43:42 AM »

Citation?

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #3578 on: July 15, 2022, 09:48:16 AM »
It is not clear at all that עד אחד נאמן applies If the difference is that they are relying on a more lenient opinion. We are fully trusting them that the item complies with that opinion.

Offline Alexsei

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
    • Travel & Kivrei Zadikim
  • Programs: COVID-23
« Reply #3579 on: July 15, 2022, 10:03:02 AM »
Unless, like KLBD, tablet K or triangle K, the mainstream halachik community considers them to be wrong

Is KLBD really in the same category as the two K's you mentioned?
Jews ≠ Zionists
Palestinians ≠ Hamas
Satmar ≠ SatmarHQ