Topic Wiki

Links to kosher symbol lists. Each list is obviously only as reliable as its source

cRc: http://www.crcweb.org/agency_list.php

KosherQuest: https://kosherquest.org/kosher-symbols/

Approved alcoholic drinks from the Rabbanut.  http://www.jerusalemkoshernews.com/wp-content/uploads/%D7%9E%D7%A9%D7%A7%D7%90%D7%95%D7%AA-%D7%97%D7%A8%D7%99%D7%A4%D7%99%D7%9D-%D7%9E%D7%90%D7%95%D7%A9%D7%A8%D7%99%D7%9D.pdf

These are NOT Orthodox: https://sites.google.com/site/nonorthodoxkosher/home (even though some may look legit)

Informative post regarding Kashrus Agencies
Every hashgacha has +&-.

You can also submit any kashrus questions at
https://www.askcrc.org/ask
https://oukosher.org/ask-kosher-question/
https://www.star-k.org/ask-rabbi choose General Consumer Kashrus Questions in the Subject/Topic Dropdown list
https://www.ok.org/contact/ choose Kosher in the Attention Dropdown list

Author Topic: Kosher, Kashrus and Hechsherim Master thread  (Read 940164 times)

Offline yuneeq

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
Re: Kosher, Kashrus and Hechsherim Master thread
« Reply #160 on: February 17, 2013, 07:35:44 AM »
it would be strange since coke uses the same flavor concentrate everywhere. the local bottler adds the sweetener and water i believe

I just looked it up.
I found in the בית הלל אלול תשס"א (I linked to the end) that there have been problems with the food colorings that they use. They have found in Central America that they use non kosher grape juice/wine to give Coke its color.

It's an interesting article/tshuva, worth it to read the whole thing.
Visibly Jewish

Offline Jkhein

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: February 17, 2013, 01:37:24 PM »
Confused.
Care to explain a bit more?
the head of the kashrus division in badatz was harav Blau who was niftar about a month ago.
they just put a rav from England in his place.

Offline yare

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: February 17, 2013, 01:39:16 PM »
I know some don't like the hocking of Badatz, but whoever is within the politics and knows who they just took over to be instead of reb Yankel Blau zt"l to be on top of the kashrus, a rov From England (!) with lots of money, so yes as they say, money doesn't speak, it screams! Harav blau was tough with them and did not give them an easy time doing what they want, well now that their chief is in another country, let the fun start.
really, more baseless accusations of the badatz without knowing facts? what do you know about the situation except that he's english and has money?       don't you have anything better to do with your time?

Offline ReadsTheT&C

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: February 17, 2013, 02:57:58 PM »

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: February 17, 2013, 03:34:37 PM »
the head of the kashrus division in badatz was harav Blau who was niftar about a month ago.
they just put a rav from England in his place.
really, more baseless accusations of the badatz without knowing facts? what do you know about the situation except that he's english and has money?       don't you have anything better to do with your time?

Apparently I missed a whole conversation that was deleted momentarily ::)
Visibly Jewish

Offline Jkhein

• View Profile
« Reply #165 on: February 17, 2013, 04:40:08 PM »
yup the eida's strawberries is a typical example, not of gauging but of simple bs. And their herring and  much more. A whole book can be written about what goes on there. But now that they managed to finally get their chief of staff out of the country and let them do whatever they want, Im sure the fun will start now. (although the gavad is still working on stopping this plan very soon)

Offline yare

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: February 17, 2013, 04:43:13 PM »
yup the eida's strawberries is a typical example, not of gauging but of simple bs. And their herring and  much more. A whole book can be written about what goes on there. But now that they managed to finally get their chief of staff out of the country and let them do whatever they want, Im sure the fun will start now. (although the gavad is still working on stopping this plan very soon)
instead of throwing out off the cuff statements as if you know something.  explain your positions.         explain what you claim to be the "bs strawberry problem" and the "herring and much more", and bring your sources for those opinions.   

otherwise you're just cluttering the thread.      or as dan likes to say, #haterswillhate.   

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: February 17, 2013, 04:47:44 PM »
instead of throwing out off the cuff statements as if you know something.  explain your positions.         explain what you claim to be the "bs strawberry problem" and the "herring and much more", and bring your sources for those opinions.   

otherwise you're just cluttering the thread.      or as dan likes to say, #haterswillhate.

The perfect description of your own posts on this thread so far. We still await something of substance from you.
Visibly Jewish

Offline Fish Tank

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: February 17, 2013, 04:50:07 PM »

As a clueless outsider just lurking in this thread, (meaning, not at all involved in the kashrus politics) it would seem very suspiciuos that the eida would hire a chief that's residing overseas.
Care to state the knowledge that we're all lacking?

Offline yare

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: February 17, 2013, 04:52:32 PM »
The perfect description of your own posts on this thread so far. We still await something of substance from you.
kal ha'poisel, bi'mumo poisel.     

i actually don't claim to have a thorough knowledge of the kashrus industry; i do know a couple basic things though from living here 8 years.     you, on the other hand, are non-stop touting your supposed knowledge without ever bringing sources.   so, ya, as i once heard, we still await something of substance from you.

Offline Jkhein

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: February 17, 2013, 04:59:16 PM »
@Yare,
It is unfortunate that whenever someone posts something about the Eida, that is unlike your grandfather and great grandfathers taught you (this kind of approach is kind of ceasing to exist already, mind you), you look at it as we are out here to bash them.
I have given you the leads to take further, and will not go into detail here, as I am indeed not out here to bash them like you think we all are, it's a thread to discuss kashrus, and I have chosen to which depth to discuss it to, and believe me, I have chosen a very light level.
#haterswillhate, does not really apply here, unless you just want to hear what you want to, which it seems like.

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 17, 2013, 05:05:46 PM »
heh, that sums up about 99.9% of disagreements on the forums.   

so, lets take it to the next level, what are you basing your word on in this case?
I should rephrase it as my "opinion" against yours.

First of all, even with all the mud-slinging from one kashrus agency to the next, it's a known thing that most kashrus agencies work with one another at the end of the day, as long as they're both orthodox. That includes both Eida and Rabbanut.

Second, I have simply never heard of an Eida embargo against being in contact or doing business with Rabbanut.  I can understand the Eida not relying on Rabbanut, even if they were so bold to consider Rabbanut 100% unreliable. But not doing business with the Rabbanut is a completely different story. There is absolutely no reason for it, nor any gain. It sounds childish to me that the Eida would put Rabbanut in a so-called cherem. If, for some reason you believe that there is such an unspoken embargo, continue to the next point.

Third, when Eida is hired in an establishment in addition to Rabbanut, they are technically working with each other. They don't mind using the rabbanut mashgiach if he's reliable, and they split the payments to the mashgiach. That is already considered doing business with one another.

Fourth, the Eida is a for-profit hechsher. If they could make more money by selling stuff to the Rabbanut, they would.

Remember what you responded? I sure do! Nothing!- like anything else you were challenged on. You have absolutely no knowledge of kashrus,  while I and others have some. No, I'm not claiming to be a kashrus expert. But I am definitely not nearly as stupid as you are.

Go troll somewhere else.
Visibly Jewish

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 17, 2013, 05:07:34 PM »
kal ha'poisel, bi'mumo poisel.

So I used your own words against you, and you in turn quote me that line?
LMAO :P
Visibly Jewish

Offline yare

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 17, 2013, 05:21:08 PM »
@Yare,
It is unfortunate that whenever someone posts something about the Eida, that is unlike your grandfather and great grandfathers taught you (this kind of approach is kind of ceasing to exist already, mind you), you look at it as we are out here to bash them.
I have given you the leads to take further, and will not go into detail here, as I am indeed not out here to bash them like you think we all are, it's a thread to discuss kashrus, and I have chosen to which depth to discuss it to, and believe me, I have chosen a very light level.
#haterswillhate, does not really apply here, unless you just want to hear what you want to, which it seems like.
that's cute.  you spout off how horrible the eida is throwing out a couple words you heard on the street and then refuse to back anything you said, claiming some ridiculous claim about depth of discussion.     if you think anyone here believes that, they don't.     

Remember what you responded? I sure do! Nothing!- like anything else you were challenged on. You have absolutely no knowledge of kashrus,  while I and others have some. No, I'm not claiming to be a kashrus expert. But I am definitely not nearly as stupid as you are.

Go troll somewhere else.
and once again you have nothing intelligent to say.   no sources, just more mouthing off.   it's kind of funny actually, you have nothing to add to any mileage part of the mileage forums.  you just sit around trolling the kashrus thread, and then, even here, you never bring a source, just try to put down other people.   seems to me, you're the only idiot in this room.   
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 05:24:15 PM by yare »

Offline Jkhein

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: February 17, 2013, 05:29:27 PM »
that's cute.  you spout off how horrible the eida is throwing out a couple words you heard on the street and then refuse to back anything you said, claiming some ridiculous claim about depth of discussion.     if you think anyone here believes that, they don't.     
you would be quite shocked to know which part of the street though, but truth is, if after eight years of living here vs. my six, you still only have this limited amount of info and/or connections in the field, than why are we discussing this with you at all.
and once again you have nothing intelligent to say.   no sources, just more mouthing off.   it's kind of funny actually, you have nothing to add to any mileage part of the mileage forums.  you just sit around trolling the kashrus thread, and then, even here, you never bring a source, just try to put down other people.   seems to me, you're the only idiot in this room.   
so youre saying that mileage discussion is the intelligent part of this forum, but kashrus is the "dumb" part.
someones got their priorities a little off here, but wants his word to be last, should we give it to him?

Offline moish

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
« Reply #175 on: February 17, 2013, 05:53:41 PM »
well said

Offline hocker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 17, 2013, 08:49:46 PM »
and once again you have nothing intelligent to say.   no sources, just more mouthing off.

1. It's kind of funny actually, you have nothing to add to any mileage part of the mileage forums. You just sit around trolling the kashrus thread, and then, even here, you never bring a source, just try to put down other people.

2. It seems to me you're the only idiot in this room.
well said
Badly written.

In general can you try to write a bit neater? My eyes are hurting!

1. I looked through your threads up until Jan 31 and I haven't found a single helpful comment or any at all in any mileage thread from you either. כל הפוסל במומו פוסל

2. I remember hearing from you (Not necessarily on the forums) the same or similar sentiments about other DDF members.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 08:55:16 PM by hocker »

Offline outsider

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Capital One Enthusiast
« Reply #177 on: February 17, 2013, 08:56:53 PM »
Does anyone have any hasgacha jobs in Chicago that they know of? A buddy is looking for work in that field.
It's what is on the outside that matters

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #178 on: February 18, 2013, 12:22:41 AM »

and once again you have nothing intelligent to say.   no sources, just more mouthing off.   it's kind of funny actually, you have nothing to add to any mileage part of the mileage forums.

LMAO once again. ;D ;D ;D

you just sit around trolling the kashrus thread, and then, even here, you never bring a source, just try to put down other people.   seems to me, you're the only idiot in this room.   

Even on this page I brought a source to something. It seems like you (and moish) have an auto alert whenever someone mentions the Eida.
I just looked it up.
I found in the בית הלל אלול תשס"א (I linked to the end) that there have been problems with the food colorings that they use. They have found in Central America that they use non kosher grape juice/wine to give Coke its color.

It's an interesting article/tshuva, worth it to read the whole thing.
But of course, you never challenged me to bring a source to something specific, so of course there is nothing to bring a source to. Though, even with all your love of sources, you never bring one source or reason to defend your statement that the Eida would never do business with the Rabbanut.

You are the quintessential rendition of a troll.
Visibly Jewish

Offline Drago

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: February 18, 2013, 02:12:14 AM »
Holy %$@%*!
Can you guys stop insulting each other already? This is getting way out of hand.

To my minimal knowledge, the gemara brings down the lack of achdus for many of our historical problems, not the lack of strict kashrus observance. So let's try to focus on the first at the same time we focus on the second.

Why don't we simply get a few actual in the field kashrus experts from all walks of life into a room to talk with us? Yuneeq, have you been able to contact anyone yet?