Author Topic: Car towing to 100 miles - Roadside assist on any of the credit cards?  (Read 4160 times)

Offline mechayamom

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Besides signing up for AAA Plus, is there a road side assistance benefit on any of the cards...Sapphire, AMEX, Etc, that has that benefit on it already?

Thanks.

Offline A3

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
not 100 miles... just roadside assist. simple. like change a flat, open the doors if you get locked out.. up to $50.
on the Amex Platinum and and United Club Card.

Offline Saver2000

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
A bit OT, but sprint offers roadside assistance for an extra $4 a month added to your cellphone bill. I don't know how many miles of towing it includes.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
A bit OT, but sprint offers roadside assistance for an extra $4 a month added to your cellphone bill. I don't know how many miles of towing it includes.
continuing ot Verizon has a similar offer. A friend of mine had it for a summer when we were driving a jalopy, we must have used it 15 times by the end of the summer. Good investment :)
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
I have it through Geico for 30 cents a month.  It's probably covered by many of my cards, but for 30 cents a month I haven't canceled that rider yet.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline steeeveknowsbest

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
not 100 miles... just roadside assist. simple. like change a flat, open the doors if you get locked out.. up to $50.
on the Amex Platinum and and United Club Card.
and on the regular United card as well

Offline lbvtch

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
and on the regular United card as well
how do you do it, just charge the fee to your united card?

Offline joeb1

• View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, CPA, Travel Agent
I have it through Geico for 30 cents a month.  It's probably covered by many of my cards, but for 30 cents a month I haven't canceled that rider yet.

geico does not cover too much for emergency rsc

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
geico does not cover too much for emergency rsc
What does it cover?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
Since we're doing the OT thing in this thread:

AAA also has Premier membership with a 200-mile tow, $150 lockout credit and a bunch of other bennies, it's $125 for the year (use a NY zipcode). I now see they allow associates (something like an AU) for cheaper, might be worth it for people to join up and pay for one shared membership. Anyone know how many associates they allow per account, and/or if they enforce any sort of rules about relationships between associates (e.g. only immediate family)?
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline Yellow

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Hertz #1 gold, Accor Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond

AAA also has Premier membership with a 200-mile tow, $150 lockout credit and a bunch of other bennies, it's $125 for the year (use a NY zipcode). I now see they allow associates (something like an AU) for cheaper, might be worth it for people to join up and pay for one shared membership. Anyone know how many associates they allow per account, and/or if they enforce any sort of rules about relationships between associates (e.g. only immediate family)?
Even if I don't live in NY?

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Even if I don't live in NY?

Valid question, because the towing has to be within x amount of miles from your (Primary's) home IIRC. Anyway, if someone wants to figure this out, perhaps we can all save $$ on our aaa memberships.

Offline Avid Reader

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Silver, National Executive

AAA also has Premier membership with a 200-mile tow, $150 lockout credit and a bunch of other bennies, it's $125 for the year (use a NY zipcode).
Only one 200-mile tow per year.. not sure if that includes associates or not, but you could't do this with it.

Offline joeb1

• View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, CPA, Travel Agent
u cant get this unless u had reg membership for 1 yr...also there is a limit on the amount of tows so how would one work that one out?

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Only one 200-mile tow per year.. not sure if that includes associates or not, but you could't do this with it.

I don't think they limit 3-mile tows.

u cant get this unless u had reg membership for 1 yr...also there is a limit on the amount of tows so how would one work that one out?

People with decent cards don't get towed too often.

Offline chaimaron

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
amex premeir rewards gold has a 10 mile free tow in their roadside asisstance

Offline WAM

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Car towing to 100 miles - Roadside assist on any of the credit cards?
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2012, 12:45:22 AM »
From the AAA site:

Membership Types and Prices

Primary Member: The first person in the household to join AAA has the ability to update info and renew online. Membership includes Roadside Assistance and all AAA New York services, benefits, and discounts.

Associate Member: Available to those residing in the same household as the Primary member. Household Associate members receive the same services and benefits as Primary members. Associates must maintain the same coverage as the Primary Member.

Helpful Links:
Learn more about other Membership benefits or download the complete Membership Handbook (PDF - 1.6MB). Visit our HELP tool for answers to common questions.

Levels of Membership   

AAA Basic
Our core membership product sets the standard of excellence in roadside assistance and provides safety, security, savings and peace of mind to our members.

Primary: $58
Associate: $25 each

AAA Plus*
Available to members who seek to extend their AAA benefits, beginning with their second year of membership. Eligible members must have three or fewer roadside assistance calls in their previous 12 months of membership.

Primary: $88
Associate: $45 each

AAA Premier*
The ultimate peace of mind, Premier provides one 200-mile tow per household and up to three additional 100-mile tows in addition to enhanced vehicle lockout services, home lockout services, free Hertz #1 Club membership and more. Same eligibility rules as Plus.

Primary: $125
Associate: $63 each

I don't think they limit 3-mile tows.

Do you have any experience with that? They state clearly that you have 3 tows, up to 100 miles. In addition, they say the following here:

Allowable Number of Service Calls

AAA provides up to four service calls per year. A reimbursement for non-AAA service counts as a call. Additional services will be provided at rates normally below commercial prices, at the member's expense, and are payable to the facility at the time the service is provided.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 12:49:01 AM by WAM »

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2012, 12:51:04 AM »
Do you have any experience with that? They state clearly that you have 3 tows, up to 100 miles. In addition, they say the following here:

Maybe it used to be and it changed (I remember something of that sort), or maybe my memory is failing me.

Offline plainbachur

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2012, 12:57:51 AM »
just lease ur car and you won't have to tow anything and plus ur leasing company in most cases covers it anyways

Offline Avid Reader

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Silver, National Executive
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2012, 01:43:24 AM »
just lease ur car and you won't have to tow anything and plus ur leasing company in most cases covers it anyways
AFAIK,
 Leasing a car doesn't cover lockouts or running out of gas in middle of nowhere. MY AAA really came in handy when I got locked out of my car in middle of the white mountains of New Hapmshire. I could only imagine what it would a costed me without AAA.