Author Topic: Advice on Kosher smartphone  (Read 2976 times)

Offline Jerseysteve

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Advice on Kosher smartphone
« on: May 30, 2012, 09:44:33 PM »
I am trying to figure out if there are options for those who want a smartphone for the advanced features/camera/music etc. etc. but do not want internet access. Obviously one option is to have your phone provider block data (which is not great as you can get it back with one phone call). Is there some app for android that can lock down down data or apps that use the internet which cannot be uninstalled without a password? I have been using droidwall and avast (phone must be rooted) but both of them can be uninstalled without a password. On my home computer k9 can't be uninstalled without a password anything similar fro a droid?

Also have been using droidwall to only allow gmail as I need email access but want to block the web (giving the password to someone else) does anyone know how to accomplish this? Droidwall has a password but can be uninstalled making it useless.

I am going to look into a combination of applock (to not allow uninstalling) together with droidwall or Avast - but was wondering if anyone had any better ideas?

Thank you

Offline Jerseysteve

• View Profile
Re: Advice on Kosher smartphone
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 09:51:15 PM »
after searching came up with some helpful advice
http://venishmartem.com/devices/item/android-devices

they seem also to advocate a joint solution of applock with another program

Offline Saver2000

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 09:52:00 PM »
I am trying to figure out if there are options for those who want a smartphone for the advanced features/camera/music etc. etc. but do not want internet access. Obviously one option is to have your phone provider block data (which is not great as you can get it back with one phone call). Is there some app for android that can lock down down data or apps that use the internet which cannot be uninstalled without a password? I have been using droidwall and avast (phone must be rooted) but both of them can be uninstalled without a password. On my home computer k9 can't be uninstalled without a password anything similar fro a droid?

Also have been using droidwall to only allow gmail as I need email access but want to block the web (giving the password to someone else) does anyone know how to accomplish this? Droidwall has a password but can be uninstalled making it useless.

I am going to look into a combination of applock (to not allow uninstalling) together with droidwall or Avast - but was wondering if anyone had any better ideas?

Thank you

I believe GYE offers a service to delete your browser from your phone. You will still be able to access email.

Offline tuvz

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 12:25:37 AM »
Iphones allow you to restrict various things like wifi, safari (internet) etc
might be worth looking into

Offline elikay

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 01:10:50 AM »

they seem also to advocate a joint solution of applock with another program

Where do you see that?
What device are you using?

Offline Cbs

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: HHonors Gold, Delta Diamond Medallion, AA Platinum Pro
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 03:05:23 AM »
Iphones allow you to restrict various things like wifi, safari (internet) etc
might be worth looking into
how can you restrict Wifi? you can only restrict safari, app store, and itunes app

Offline Jkhein

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 04:11:11 AM »
how can you restrict Wifi? you can only restrict safari, app store, and itunes app
indeed, but that should work no? With somebody else knowing half the password etc.

Offline Jerseysteve

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2012, 08:33:15 AM »
I am using an android phone Incredible2
If you root the phone you can restrict wifi for any program with a firewall like avast or droidwall which I prefer. The only problem is that though you can put a password (and give half to someone else) the program can be uninstalled. The solution is to use applock (free) and password protect uninstalling programs and the google play app (which also can uninstall programs) and give someone else the password. You must use advance settings in applock to disable uninstalling.

This is similar to the solution in vinishmartem (GYE) as they advocate using norton (which works even with unrooted phones) to filter (or white list) and applock to blocks apps and prevent uninstalling.

Although this is not foolproof (vihameivin yavin) it is a good system for many people.