Author Topic: Does this classify under a scam, or is it legit?  (Read 1998 times)

Offline real-brisker

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Does this classify under a scam, or is it legit?
« on: June 03, 2012, 04:27:01 PM »
A friend of mine went to a music store on Friday to purchase a music CD. The CD was for sale for $13. Biketzur the cashier offered my friend to download it to his iPod, without purchasing the CD for just $5.

Is this legit? To me it sounds like a complete scam on the cashier / store owners part, that they are selling the music and pocketing the cash. My reason to think so is, I highly doubt it costs the producer $8 just for burning copies of the cd. It probably doesn't even cost $1 for the actual printing/coping... It would kill the producers profits if they would allow such a thing!

Has anyone heard of this? Or is it a local scam? I told my friend they may as well just have copied it from me for free!

Offline YudiG

• View Profile
Re: Does this classify under a scam, or is it legit?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 04:30:56 PM »
A friend of mine went to a music store on Friday to purchase a music CD. The CD was for sale for $13. Biketzur the cashier offered my friend to download it to his iPod, without purchasing the CD for just $5.

Is this legit? To me it sounds like a complete scam on the cashier / store owners part, that they are selling the music and pocketing the cash. My reason to think so is, I highly doubt it costs the producer $8 just for burning copies of the cd. It probably doesn't even cost $1 for the actual printing/coping... It would kill the producers profits if they would allow such a thing!

Has anyone heard of this? Or is it a local scam? I told my friend they may as well just have copied it from me for free!

its not a scam, its not legit - its THEFT

i'd ask a shaila and possibly with their p'sak report the store to the dist. company and artist...

Offline real-brisker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 04:40:58 PM »

i'd ask a shaila and possibly with their p'sak report the store to the dist. company and artist...
Thats what I meant with A SCAM!

Offline YudiG

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 05:13:14 PM »
Thats what I meant with A SCAM!

potatoe or potato either way its a bad thing

Offline creditor

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Does this classify under a scam, or is it legit?
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2012, 05:56:52 PM »

potatoe or potato either way its a bad thing
chill people.
who says its a scam/theft etc.
some music stores i.e. galpaz have an official agreement with the producer to let them sell their production via download, and they pay for that a certain amount

maybe the music store, OP is talking about is one of them
I'm just say'in©®

Offline smurf

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2012, 06:19:59 PM »
I believe galpaz owns the rights to many albums as does mostly music.
I know when I was in galpaz in israel they had a list of cds that they could sell you just the digital version. Otherwise they would only load something directly on to your mp3 player if you purchased the actual cd as well.

Offline Name Changed

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Avis Presidents Club, National Executive Elite, Hertz Presidents Circle, Sixt Platinum, SPG Gold, eBay Platinum
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2012, 08:19:16 PM »
I know when I was in galpaz in israel they had a list of cds that they could sell you just the digital version. Otherwise they would only load something directly on to your mp3 player if you purchased the actual cd as well.
I believe so too.

I remember that when I was in Israel GalPaz had a counter where they would load CD's onto iPods for 20 Shek

I think that you only have the right to the music on your iPod, you can't copy it to a few other places (like you could if you owned the CD) cuz at the price they are only selling it to be used on the iPod

Offline real-brisker

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2012, 11:35:18 AM »
why would they do this??