Author Topic: Amtrak  (Read 43070 times)

Offline meshugener

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Re: Amtrak
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2014, 08:42:42 PM »
I figured as much. However I am taking my chances.
Would there be a different appropriate thread to move this post to so it can have more visibility?

Not that I can think of, but I can try asking some of my contacts if they know of anyone. I'll keep you posted.
Love me or hate me. I still love you.

Offline whacked1

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2014, 07:42:09 PM »
Going with amtrak from niagra to nyc (using points), will there be the same taxes as flying ba?

Offline lunatic

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2014, 07:49:23 PM »
Going with amtrak from niagra to nyc (using points), will there be the same taxes as flying ba?
No taxes

Offline whacked1

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2014, 07:49:57 PM »

Offline A3

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2015, 09:03:33 PM »
Is there a set point price from phl to ewr? For Amtrak? The ride is a drop over an hour

Offline gavhaller

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Chase Visa Supreme, Avis Cadillac, Hyatt Vacation Club Owner, Disney Annual-Pass Holder, BA Avios Executive Corporate Shareholder VIP, Citi Platinum Status, Owner Of DFS - Discover Financial Services
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2015, 08:45:13 AM »
http://frequentmiler.boardingarea.com/2015/08/12/amtrak-to-tie-award-prices-to-ticket-prices-sigh/

Amtrak rewards program changing!

Another deval. I got use out of the program only once- at a last minute point when no flights to Boston were available. Im hoping to take advantage of this and book a bedroom for long-distanced travel. Always wanted to do that!

Changes effective Jan 2016. Book now!

Offline Yaalili

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 157
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2015, 08:59:23 AM »
Yeh a bedroom for 12.5k per person each way from New York to Florida is not too bad. But it is so long..

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2015, 10:37:38 AM »
http://frequentmiler.boardingarea.com/2015/08/12/amtrak-to-tie-award-prices-to-ticket-prices-sigh/

Amtrak rewards program changing!

Another deval. I got use out of the program only once- at a last minute point when no flights to Boston were available. Im hoping to take advantage of this and book a bedroom for long-distanced travel. Always wanted to do that!

Changes effective Jan 2016. Book now!

Thanks for the heads up, how far out can you book Amtrak?
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline Yaalili

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2015, 11:13:01 AM »
Thanks for the heads up, how far out can you book Amtrak?

Schedule is open now till July 13, or 11 months out.

Offline DoB

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2015, 07:25:42 PM »
I took my first long distance Amtrak ride in a few months ago (Coast Starlight from Portland to Sacramento, then California Zephyr from Sacramento to Denver), and it was fantastic. Only 15k points in a roomette (including all meals - yes, kosher airline-style food is available if ordered in advance), since my trip was within one zone, with cash fares hovering in the $1000 area. I was traveling on my own, but it's the same price (in points) for two people in a roomette or bedroom - an even better deal.

I've been looking forward to taking some more long distance trips on points, but it looks like I'll want to burn as many points as possible by the end of 2015 (for travel through most of 2016). I'm tempted to apply for the Chase Sapphire Preferred now, for the bonus points, even though (a) I probably won't be approved (too many new accounts) and (b) rumor has it that Chase may be soon be dropping Amtrak transfers (the AGR MasterCard will be shifting to BoA next month), so by the time I get the bonus points it may be too late. Then I suppose I should apply for the SPG card and transfer the bonus points over to Amtrak. That should give me enough for a few nice cross-country trips.

Offline Yaalili

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2015, 07:50:53 PM »
I took my first long distance Amtrak ride in a few months ago (Coast Starlight from Portland to Sacramento, then California Zephyr from Sacramento to Denver), and it was fantastic. Only 15k points in a roomette (including all meals - yes, kosher airline-style food is available if ordered in advance), since my trip was within one zone, with cash fares hovering in the $1000 area. I was traveling on my own, but it's the same price (in points) for two people in a roomette or bedroom - an even better deal.

Nice. Anyone here did New York to Florida on the silver service, in a bedroom?

Offline Tzafnas Paneach

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2015, 12:28:52 PM »
Doc reports the new Amtrak credit card will be from BOA. Hopefully that means you can get approved for multiple at once and receive the multiple bonuses just like Alaska.

Offline Yaalili

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2015, 01:03:13 PM »
Doc reports the new Amtrak credit card will be from BOA. Hopefully that means you can get approved for multiple at once and receive the multiple bonuses just like Alaska.

Here's hoping for a signup bonus higher than 12k.

Offline Tzafnas Paneach

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2015, 04:02:17 PM »
Here's hoping for a signup bonus higher than 12k.
+1

Offline Tzafnas Paneach

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2015, 04:14:41 PM »
Anyone ever find a "hidden city" trick for Amtrak in the north east?

Offline Yaalili

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2015, 12:05:35 PM »
For those looking to redeem points for a bedroom, on the NYC-MIA market, keep this in mind.

Silver Star Trains 91 & 92 Sleeping Car Fare and Food Service Test
Effective July 1, 2015 - January 31, 2016

Amtrak will test a new service aboard the Silver Star from July 1, 2015, through January 31, 2016, that will allow passengers to pay less to upgrade from coach class to our popular sleeping car accommodations. All meal service for sleeping car and coach passengers will be provided in the Café/Lounge car, where passengers can purchase a selection of hot and cold sandwiches, snacks and other items. During the test period, traditional dining car service will not be provided.

Amtrak will examine customer reaction and market demand for this experimental service.

Lower Cost Sleeping Car Accommodations

This test will allow passengers to pay less to upgrade from coach class to our popular sleeping car accommodations. Traditionally, Amtrak has bundled the cost of Dining car meals into the charge for the sleeping car accommodations. Under this experiment, these costs will be “un-bundled” to allow passengers to travel the New York-Orlando-Tampa/Miami route in a sleeping car at a lower cost.

Passengers will continue to have the option of choosing traditional Dining car service aboard the Silver Meteor (Trains 97 & 98), which operates along much of the Silver Star route. Dining car meals aboard the Silver Meteor are included in the sleeping car upgrade charge.

Sleeping Car Amenities

Passengers with sleeping car accommodations will continue to have complimentary coffee, chilled water and juices, turn-down service for their Bedrooms and Roomettes, private restrooms and access to shower facilities. Upon request, room attendants will provide in-room service for meals purchased from the Café car. At stations with ClubAcela, Amtrak Metropolitan Lounge or similar services, sleeping car passengers will also continue to have same-day lounge access and pre-boarding privileges.

Amtrak is launching this initiative to evaluate the operational cost savings and customer satisfaction of operating an overnight train at a lower fare and without a dining car. Amtrak will continue to explore ways to provide food and beverage service at lower cost.

Reservation and train status information is available on Amtrak.com, our free mobile apps and at 1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245). Thank you for choosing Amtrak.

So if you want meals included, stick with the Silver Meteor route.

Offline DoB

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2015, 10:08:21 PM »
Details of the new AGR: https://agr.amtrak.com/rideon/

Offline oreo

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Delta Silver, Hilton Silver. Formerly United 1K, Delta Platinum,. Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2015, 05:00:01 PM »
Details of the new AGR: https://agr.amtrak.com/rideon/

So the upshot is, the point earned and redeemed will both be based on ticket price. Earn 2 cents per dollar of ticket price, and redeem for 2.9 cents per dollar of ticket price (which, if you transfer from Chase UR, is a pretty good use of points). This is good in some cases and bad in others. For example, a one-way NEC ticket formerly cost 4000 points. Now it could cost more or less than that; the cutoff point is around $116.

Offline Yaalili

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2015, 05:08:07 PM »
So the upshot is, the point earned and redeemed will both be based on ticket price. Earn 2 cents per dollar of ticket price, and redeem for 2.9 cents per dollar of ticket price (which, if you transfer from Chase UR, is a pretty good use of points). This is good in some cases and bad in others. For example, a one-way NEC ticket formerly cost 4000 points. Now it could cost more or less than that; the cutoff point is around $116.

The cutoff point is premium bedroom redemptions.

Offline DoB

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2015, 08:05:10 PM »

Correct.

Unfortunately, sleeper redemptions were, in many cases, fantastic bargains, and a revenue-based system by definition doesn't have fantastic bargains. A one-zone roomette (any number of connecting segments) currently costs 15k points, for one or two people. If the cash price is above $435, it will cost more points under the new AGR, and I think it's safe to say that most (but not all) one-zone roomette tickets cost over $435. That's less than half what I would have paid for the trip I took in May had I not used points.

Note that Saver fares - the lowest fares on many lines - are not eligible under the new AGR. So you'll sometimes get less than 2.9 cents per dollar.

It's not clear whether Chase will maintain UR transferability, since the Chase AGR MasterCard programs ends at the end of the month.