Author Topic: Amtrak  (Read 44180 times)

Offline A3

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Re: Amtrak
« Reply #80 on: January 18, 2016, 01:47:42 AM »
Sorry I missed your post. As you saw, the food is probably a step above standard airline food, especially when you include the setup tray. You have a choice of fish, chicken, or beef. All OU/Pas Yisrael/Chalav Yisrael/Chassidhe Sechita. For breakfast, there is an omlette option, but not on the Auto Train since they have a continental breakfast only. The meals were upgraded a few years ago and use the same caterer as El Al First. Hope you're having a good trip.

AI
Thank you. Great trip indeed.

Offline DoB

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 18, 2016, 06:08:38 AM »

Unfortunately, due to the structure of Amtrak's reservation system, 24 hours minimum for Acela (72 hours for long distance) is really needed for the commissary to receive proper notification of a special meal and ensure that it gets delivered to the proper train in advance of your travel. The upgrade coupons are set for 12 hours and there is generally not a way around that. I will flag your concern to the Loyalty Department, but they are currently preparing for the launch of AGR 2.0 so I may not get an answer quickly. Sorry about that.

AI

Thanks.  Unfortunately I'll be on 2128 tomorrow evening, which I'm sure doesn't give enough time for a resolution.

The agent at NYP thought making the kosher meal reservation while applying the upgrade coupon would be worth a try.  But based on what you're saying, I'm guessing that the system won't even take the meal reservation, just like it rejected it yesterday (because I was still in BC) - am I right?

Or maybe you can toss an extra kosher meal (I'd prefer the beef, if I have a choice) onto tomorrow's 2128 while nobody's looking? 

Offline AmtrakInsider

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 19, 2016, 03:43:03 PM »
I submitted the request on your behalf. We'll see what happens.

AI

Thanks.  Unfortunately I'll be on 2128 tomorrow evening, which I'm sure doesn't give enough time for a resolution.

The agent at NYP thought making the kosher meal reservation while applying the upgrade coupon would be worth a try.  But based on what you're saying, I'm guessing that the system won't even take the meal reservation, just like it rejected it yesterday (because I was still in BC) - am I right?

Or maybe you can toss an extra kosher meal (I'd prefer the beef, if I have a choice) onto tomorrow's 2128 while nobody's looking? 

Offline DoB

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 20, 2016, 09:22:29 PM »
I submitted the request on your behalf. We'll see what happens.

AI

Thank you! I also called it in and the agent put some sort of request on the account as well.

And then this happened - https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dr-gridlock/wp/2016/01/19/all-trains-are-stopped-on-marcs-penn-line/ - and 2128 was cancelled. I ended up on 2124 (departing over an hour after 2128's scheduled time, once service resumed), of course without my meal.

But thank you for trying!

Offline shmooz

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 29, 2016, 10:07:18 AM »
Sorry I missed your post. As you saw, the food is probably a step above standard airline food, especially when you include the setup tray. You have a choice of fish, chicken, or beef. All OU/Pas Yisrael/Chalav Yisrael/Chassidhe Sechita. For breakfast, there is an omlette option, but not on the Auto Train since they have a continental breakfast only. The meals were upgraded a few years ago and use the same caterer as El Al First. Hope you're having a good trip.

AI

Hi Amtrak Insider, Do you know what brand of meat is used?

Offline A3

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 30, 2016, 07:38:55 PM »
Hi Amtrak Insider, Do you know what brand of meat is used?
IIRC our meal was from Borensteins??? In Jamaica NY.. If he can't help, maybe see where the meal will come from for your specific ride.

Offline AmtrakInsider

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 02, 2016, 11:27:02 AM »
They all come from Borensteins. Good luck.

IIRC our meal was from Borensteins??? In Jamaica NY.. If he can't help, maybe see where the meal will come from for your specific ride.

Offline DoB

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 07, 2016, 09:37:13 AM »
I just got an email from a friend on this morning's 51 out of NYP - the kosher meals for four that he ordered aren't on the train!  Any magic you can do, AmtrakInsider?  His train just left BAL and he's going all the way to CHI (and connecting there to 5 to EMY).

Offline DoB

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 07, 2016, 07:05:49 PM »
I just got an email from a friend on this morning's 51 out of NYP - the kosher meals for four that he ordered aren't on the train!  Any magic you can do, AmtrakInsider?  His train just left BAL and he's going all the way to CHI (and connecting there to 5 to EMY).

Looks like his meals were loaded at WAS.

Offline MaaYanky

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 22
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, and since others...
« Reply #89 on: April 24, 2016, 11:57:19 PM »
Any ideas on a great route to travel from NYP that has a bedroom?

Pesach food would be pretty cool too!

Offline fresar

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: July 05, 2016, 11:29:42 PM »
I transferred over 100k points from chase to Amtrak before chase closed Amtrak as a transferring partner, since I was planning a trip with Amtrak, but in the end I didn't use them. is there any good way to redeem them besides travel? Does any broker buy them?

Offline Yaalili

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 157
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 30, 2016, 08:02:33 PM »
Amtrak's Next-Generation of High-Speed Trains
We are excited to announce the upcoming arrival of the next-generation of high-speed rail, which will replace the current Acelaฎ Express equipment and start service in 2021. In addition to the existing spaciousness and high-end comfort you're used to aboard Acela, the new trainsets will feature increased capacity and modern amenities that will enable you to be more comfortable and productive throughout your journey. The trainset design exceeds the ADA minimum accessibility requirements and includes amenities such as:

•   Smoother ride quality comparable to international high-speed train service
•   Improved Wi-Fi access
•   Personal outlets, USB ports and adjustable reading lights at every seat
•   Enhanced food service car
•   Modern interior design

Plus, with 40% more trainsets than the current Acela fleet, service will be offered every half-hour between Washington D.C. and New York City during peak times and every hour between New York City and Boston throughout the day to give you more departure options.

This new fleet is a large part of our multifaceted modernization program to improve the overall travel experience for our customers, both onboard and in major stations throughout the Northeast. We will be sharing more details in the next few months and we look forward to having you join us on this journey. As always, thank you for traveling with us.

Offline shaulyaakov

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 01, 2016, 12:54:00 PM »

I don't understand why they don't phase the current Acella trains to replace some of the aged NER trains.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #93 on: September 13, 2016, 04:33:23 PM »
Did anyone transfer a bunch of points to Amtrak before severed relationship with Chase?
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline EJB

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 13, 2016, 04:57:05 PM »
Did anyone transfer a bunch of points to Amtrak before severed relationship with Chase?

And used them

Offline Mordyk

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Some of this and some of that.
« Reply #95 on: September 13, 2016, 09:51:51 PM »
I transferred over 100k points from chase to Amtrak before chase closed Amtrak as a transferring partner, since I was planning a trip with Amtrak, but in the end I didn't use them. is there any good way to redeem them besides travel? Does any broker buy them?
#TYH

Offline Yaalili

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 20, 2016, 11:35:46 AM »
Book by this Thursday, you'll find tickets to destinations in Virginia as low as $47.

Our 3-day sale gets you to Virginia for less. Once you hop aboard the Northeast RegionalSM, you'll not only experience the fall colors along the Northeast Corridor, you'll also find the lowest one-way fares.

But book now for travel from October 25 – November 17, 2016 because this sale ends Thursday.
Travel from New York to:
Charlottesville   $47
Newport News   $47
Richmond   $47
Norfolk   $48

Offer is exclusively available at www.Amtrak.com. Valid for sale September 20 – 22, 2016. Valid for travel October 25 – November 17, 2016. Valid for travel on the Northeast Regional train service between the following select city pairs only: 1. New York, NY – Richmond, VA. 2. New York, NY – Norfolk, VA. 3. New York, NY – Newport News, VA. 4. New York, NY – Charlottesville, VA. 5. New Haven, CT – Washington, DC. 6. Philadelphia, PA – Newark Liberty International Airport. 7. Philadelphia, PA – Boston, MA (South Station/Back Bay) and Route 128, Westwood, MA. 8. Washington, DC – Baltimore, MD and /BWI Thurgood Marshall Airport Station, MD. 9. Washington, DC – Lynchburg, VA. Offer does not include travel to/from any intermediate cities. Once purchased, tickets are non-refundable; exchanges are permitted prior to the original travel date. Seating is limited; seats may not be available on all trains at all times. Fares are subject to availability. The discounted one-way fares are valid for all adult passengers; no additional discounts apply. Valid for Coach seats only; no Business class upgrades permitted. Not combinable with any other discount offer. In addition to the discount restrictions, this offer is also subject to any restrictions, blackouts and refund rules that apply to the type of fare purchased. Fares, routes and schedules are subject to change without notice. Once travel has begun, no changes to the itinerary are permitted. Other restrictions may apply.

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 20, 2016, 11:38:59 AM »
Book by this Thursday, you'll find tickets to destinations in Virginia as low as $47.

Our 3-day sale gets you to Virginia for less. Once you hop aboard the Northeast RegionalSM, you'll not only experience the fall colors along the Northeast Corridor, you'll also find the lowest one-way fares.

But book now for travel from October 25 – November 17, 2016 because this sale ends Thursday.
Travel from New York to:
Charlottesville   $47
Newport News   $47
Richmond   $47
Norfolk   $48

Offer is exclusively available at www.Amtrak.com. Valid for sale September 20 – 22, 2016. Valid for travel October 25 – November 17, 2016. Valid for travel on the Northeast Regional train service between the following select city pairs only: 1. New York, NY – Richmond, VA. 2. New York, NY – Norfolk, VA. 3. New York, NY – Newport News, VA. 4. New York, NY – Charlottesville, VA. 5. New Haven, CT – Washington, DC. 6. Philadelphia, PA – Newark Liberty International Airport. 7. Philadelphia, PA – Boston, MA (South Station/Back Bay) and Route 128, Westwood, MA. 8. Washington, DC – Baltimore, MD and /BWI Thurgood Marshall Airport Station, MD. 9. Washington, DC – Lynchburg, VA. Offer does not include travel to/from any intermediate cities. Once purchased, tickets are non-refundable; exchanges are permitted prior to the original travel date. Seating is limited; seats may not be available on all trains at all times. Fares are subject to availability. The discounted one-way fares are valid for all adult passengers; no additional discounts apply. Valid for Coach seats only; no Business class upgrades permitted. Not combinable with any other discount offer. In addition to the discount restrictions, this offer is also subject to any restrictions, blackouts and refund rules that apply to the type of fare purchased. Fares, routes and schedules are subject to change without notice. Once travel has begun, no changes to the itinerary are permitted. Other restrictions may apply.

Hidden city train ticketing.  You get on and off wherever you want.

Offline Yaalili

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 12, 2017, 08:12:19 PM »
Skip I-95 for $95 aboard the Auto Train

On the Auto Trainฎ, your family can relax, enjoy the views and arrive at great savings. You'll skip the headaches and hassles of traffic and save big with our special $95 Saver Fare aboard the Amtrakฎ Auto Train when you book at least 14 days in advance.

Traveling nonstop between the Washington, DC and Orlando, FL areas, the Auto Train accommodates a wide variety of vehicles. With your vehicle safely onboard, you and your entire family will enjoy a relaxing, stress-free ride and free Wi-Fi via AmtrakConnect. And since you can pack your car like a suitcase, you'll have everything you need when you arrive.

Offline GTR

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 18, 2017, 12:41:59 PM »
When I was a youth my parents took us on the Auto Train for a trip to Disney.  It remains one of the more memorable family vacations.