Author Topic: NYC-MIA advice  (Read 4908 times)

Offline aussiebochur

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
Re: NYC-MIA advice
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2012, 11:53:46 PM »
No worries, I guess there really is a learning curve to even asking questions on DDF!
Theirs a learning curve to asking in general. Ever heard the questions for shidduchim?

Offline Galitzyaner

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2012, 08:03:58 AM »
I took a quick look, and the award availability/prices aren't really any better. Either way, I'd have to be saving a bundle to be worth the hassle (not to mention 2.5 hours of driving + gas and tolls).
Yup, looks like 24k per ticket RT. That's at least around $350 with a stopover.
I started with JFK/LGA - MIA/FLL. Eventually I looked at EWR and HPN too, but the only one that had any impact on prices was PBI, which adds a ton of direct flights to/from LGA and JFK. Ultimately I couldn't find anything with PBI that worked for us and saved us enough money to be worth the hassle. MCO, FMY, and PHY and others are all well over 2 hours away from where I am/need to be.

Anyway, I ended up finding the flights we wanted, albeit a slightly shorter trip (cutting off the second Shabbos and saving one vacation day at work) for $250 a pop, and it's nonstop between our preferred airports (LGA-FLL). The $400 I wrote in the OP doesn't really make sense (maybe I was thinking $400 total, that would be a pipe dream), but $250 isn't terrible.
>
How on earth could anybody have LGA as a preferred airport (over JFK)?
there are airports in Russia in and Africa in better condition than LGA

Offline skyguy918

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2012, 08:52:48 AM »
>
there are airports in Russia in and Africa in better condition than LGA

Well, it's not like JFK is so great either, but since you're asking, it has nothing to do with the quality of the actual airport, it's just more convenient. LGA/JFK and FLL/MIA are all pretty much the same for us and I wouldn't have paid more for any of them, but LGA-FLL is still the best of the combos for us.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2012, 10:52:55 AM »
>
I prefer LGA even though the entire place ought to be demolished and it's a terrible terminal to be delayed in.  Closer to Manhattan and CH.  And I'm out of the airport after 2 minutes of walking.
Of course it helps that of the ~30 daily flights from CLE/CAK to NYC that 28 or so go to EWR or LGA.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.