Author Topic: Report: Oxnard, CA  (Read 7388 times)

Offline montey

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Report: Oxnard, CA
« on: June 04, 2012, 03:32:50 PM »
This has been discussed a few times in the Los Angeles thread, but just thought I'd take a few minutes to write about our trip to Oxnard, CA.

This small town is on the map, in my opinion, mainly because of the local Herzog Winery and its great restaurant, Tierra Sur. Going to LA is hardly a vacation in my book, due to the noise, traffic, commotion, and "LA nonsense." The opportunity for some relaxation with wife and kids, and access to great kosher dining, seemed like a worthwhile combination.

We stayed the Embassy Suites Mandalay Beach, booked using HHonors Points. We got a suite overlooking the beach on the ground floor. When you exit the living room, you have a small patio and grassy area, and you are 30 feet away from the beach! This was very nice.

Hotel is older but this bank of rooms was renovated. They have a series of presidential suites that are 1600 sq ft or so. When I called in before arriving, I was told by an agent there that as a HHonors Gold member, I would be able to upgrade to these suites based on availability. I should have gotten this in writing! When I got there, they double checked with management and said that they don't do that. Anyway, not wanting to make a stink over something I couldn't prove, I just took the regular beachfront room and got on with it. They waived the self parking fee (!!) with HH Gold. We asked the check in guy about local activities, and he advised us to check the rack of fliers and advertisements. His manager heard this and reprimanded him, then walked us over to the rack of fliers and gave us his personal overview of activities in the area.

The room itself was clean and modern, but nothing overwhelmingly special. This was fine for this family trip. The grounds are very nice, the beach is pretty, and you can't beat sitting on the beach or patio and watching the sunset with a glass of Champagne (that I brought). Hotel service is adequate but not great, which is expected for the brand. One humorous incident was sending a skinny girl to take our luggage to the car. She then told me that she couldn't lift my suitcase as it was too heavy for her. Thanks a lot!  ;)

As far as activities go, there is not much to do in Oxnard at all, as it's a farming and harbor freight terminal town. We did rent a boat and putter around the non commercial harbor, which was a pleasant activity. We rented the boat from Hopper Boat Rentals (805) 382-1100 and the lady there was very patient with our kids. There is also a Childrens Museum which isn't that exciting if you are above age 3.

We ate at a local Coffee Bean which is adjacent to a beautiful development of shops and condos along an extended waterfront park. This is called Seabridge and was great for breakfast. There is another Coffee Bean by the 101 fwy that has freshly made oatmeal and parfait.

The Tierra Sur restaurant was pretty good. It's certainly fine dining but we went late for lunch and early for dinner as not to bother anyone else with our kids, even though they behaved just fine and there were a good amount of other families there. The food is good; make sure to get a side order of lamb bacon. The best things we had there were the Chicken Sandwich with Lamb Bacon (lunch), Caesar Salad (lunch and dinner), Grilled Ribeye (although way too much gristle), and Lamb Chorizo Pizzetta (dinner). Desserts aren't that exciting; even the server hard a hard time being enthusiastic. As far as wine goes, stick with the selections that are not typically available; older bottles and winery only brands. Great selection of artisanal chocolates in the gift shop!

Hope this review helps in your vacation planning! Let me know if I left anything our or if there are questions

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
Re: Report: Oxnard, CA
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 04:03:03 PM »
Thanks for the report! Side note the menu at Tierra Sur changes seasonally so when you or others go back odds are the menu will change. 
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline moish

• View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 04:06:18 PM »
nice report, but oxnard was on the map way before herzog even thought of opening the winery there.

Offline montey

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 04:10:12 PM »
nice report, but oxnard was on the map way before herzog even thought of opening the winery there.

Again, not sure why, as there isn't much to do there or eat, and the town itself isn't much to speak of.

Offline moish

• View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 04:21:17 PM »
we used to go every summer for about a week. we stayed at mandalay beach and got a 2 bedroom suite with a kitchen. brought food, meat from la and bbq. got additional food from the local ralphs.
just laze around at the beach, rent bikes etc. that was a vacation

also, one of the days we would go to the orange county fair

good times

Offline ChAiM'l

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 06:54:19 PM »
Thanks.

Desserts aren't that exciting; even the server hard a hard time being enthusiastic.

They have a hard time being enthusiastic about anything...

Offline YT

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 07:56:42 AM »
I would just like to say that my experience at the restaurant in oxnard was great. Maybe because they changed the menu. We stayed in LA by the hyatt regency century plaza ($120 a night from priceline instead of 400) and took the drive up to oxnard during sunset on the highway that goes along the beach through malibu (i think it was highway 1) and it was a gorgeous ride up. The restaurant was very small and quiet which is not a common thing in NY and the food was top notch.

Offline Drago

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2013, 08:24:53 AM »
I would just like to say that my experience at the restaurant in oxnard was great. Maybe because they changed the menu. We stayed in LA by the hyatt regency century plaza ($120 a night from priceline instead of 400) and took the drive up to oxnard during sunset on the highway that goes along the beach through malibu (i think it was highway 1) and it was a gorgeous ride up. The restaurant was very small and quiet which is not a common thing in NY and the food was top notch.
I just did the Highway 1 trip going south and also stopped in the restaruant.
If you want to write a TR, there's a thread for it, and we'd loving seeing it.
I have to write mine as well.

http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=152

Offline YT

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2013, 05:45:24 PM »
I just did the Highway 1 trip going south and also stopped in the restaruant.
If you want to write a TR, there's a thread for it, and we'd loving seeing it.
I have to write mine as well.

http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=152

Your right i should post  a TR there i just gotta get around to doing it

Offline montey

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2013, 07:22:54 PM »
No more Ocean Front rooms bookable with HHonors Points! I hate Hilton!

Offline ganizzy

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2013, 08:45:11 PM »
if ur going with kids, then bout a half hour away is underwood farms in Moorpark. animals, some rides and fruit/veg picking
http://www.underwoodfamilyfarms.com/
on the way there u can stop off in the outlets in camarillo

Offline Lazegotit

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz Presidents Circle, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat.
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2013, 06:47:44 PM »
Make sure you have reservations, if not you"ll learn the hard way...