Topic Wiki

When signing up for auto insurance, make sure you know what coverage you're getting, and what your deductibles are.

Which Insurance Broker would you recommend:

5MinuteInsure.com
Moshe Fishman
Online Comparison and Purchasing Platform for Auto, Home or Bundle Insurance
Recommended by - Reb Moshe

Nationwide- Yehuda Spero
443-845-9552
speroy@nationwide.com

Insurance Depot
718-921-2300
Info@insdepot.com
Recommend by -Z56

Trumper Insurance
845-356-1899

Recommend by -Yammer

Worldwide Rental Car insurance ask Superflyer

Poll

How much liability insurance do you think is prudent?

Statutory minimum
41 (16.1%)
61 (23.9%)
17 (6.7%)
72 (28.2%)
37 (14.5%)
2 (0.8%)
1m
16 (6.3%)
more than 1m
9 (3.5%)

Total Members Voted: 255

Author Topic: Car Insurance Master Thread  (Read 318743 times)

Offline ygift

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Car Insurance Master Thread
« on: January 30, 2010, 07:21:38 PM »
Anyone ever been kicked off from car ins.? I have AAA Ins and they put 5 points for an accident on my record and then because of that are kicking me off. (the points are not relevent to motor vehicle record onlyto ins)
Any ideas what to do so that I dont have to spend an extra 3 - 4 thousand dollars 9maybe even more then that
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 02:25:21 PM by jj1000 »

Offline chaim

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
Re: car ins.
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 04:13:01 PM »
call liberty mutual out of howell nj . They are offering all lakewood  rates that are 4 or 5 hundred bucks cheaper than geico. One caveat is that I heard when you have an accident with them then rates climb higher than industry standard. Unconfirmed though as I havnt had an accident

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: car ins.
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 04:29:53 PM »
Did you try contesting the points in court with a competent lawyer?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Yordai Dooma

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA EXP/LT Platinum, SPG gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National EE,
US Auto insurance companies
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 05:07:45 PM »
Who do you use?
Who would you recommend?
Who would you not recommend?

We have had Geico for years and am generally happy with them.
A friend is trying to convince me to switch to Hanover as they have better rates for the same policy.

Offline kc1544

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
Re: US Auto insurance companies
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 05:35:21 PM »
Who do you use?
Who would you recommend?
Who would you not recommend?

We have had Geico for years and am generally happy with them.
A friend is trying to convince me to switch to Hanover as they have better rates for the same policy.

when i first leased it was my first time having insurance on my name. i did lots of research and found geico to be the best. after six months i switched to costco as it was cheaper (at the time i had membership) the actual insurance was amerprise i think.
i then moved after six months to all state as a local agent told me he can get better price which he did.
and now six months later when the price went up (i think because of a ticket i got) i went back to geico and it was waaay cheaper.
so in short: stick with geico
two notes: firstly i live in brooklyn which obviously makes a difference. secondly each time i switched i didnt save a few dollars. it was a substantial amount (around 300 per 6 months)

Offline Yordai Dooma

• View Profile
  • Programs: AA EXP/LT Platinum, SPG gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National EE,
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 05:41:37 PM »
when i first leased it was my first time having insurance on my name. i did lots of research and found geico to be the best. after six months i switched to costco as it was cheaper (at the time i had membership) the actual insurance was amerprise i think.
i then moved after six months to all state as a local agent told me he can get better price which he did.
and now six months later when the price went up (i think because of a ticket i got) i went back to geico and it was waaay cheaper.
so in short: stick with geico
two notes: firstly i live in brooklyn which obviously makes a difference. secondly each time i switched i didnt save a few dollars. it was a substantial amount (around 300 per 6 months)

So i have geico on 2 people, 2 cars. The saving would be $185.00 over 6 months if i switched from geico to hanover. Keep in mind my policy now is only ~$750.00/6 months. Ive never even heard of Hanover before...Anyone here use them?

Offline A3

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2010, 06:23:33 PM »
So i have geico on 2 people, 2 cars. The saving would be $185.00 over 6 months if i switched from geico to hanover. Keep in mind my policy now is only ~$750.00/6 months. Ive never even heard of Hanover before...Anyone here use them?

Keep in mind that according to ur profile your from Chi-Town = Cheaper than NY. Also what amount of coverage do u have for that price.
I have Geico, I opted to be covered for a lot of damage and im paying 1100/6 months  for two cars, each driver has one ticket in their name.

Offline Mikeoracle

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2010, 02:27:43 PM »
I have "21st Century" for the last few years and I am very happy so far. They originally saved me a few hundred dollars per half year over Geico, and according to a recent quote they are still a little less. I dont know what states they insure in besides NJ, they are west coast based and added NJ a few years back.

Offline bades

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2010, 04:50:47 PM »
i am a car insurance broker, if you have any questions you can pm me, Hanover is an excellent company

Offline Yordai Dooma

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2010, 04:55:24 PM »
i am a car insurance broker, if you have any questions you can pm me, Hanover is an excellent company

Is there any harm in switching insurance companies? Meaning I've had Geico for the past 5 years...Is there any reason to show loyalty to a company? Will that lower my rates in the long run?

Offline Avid Reader

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Silver, National Executive
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2010, 05:29:30 AM »
My first year was very hard getting a good rate. The best rate came from CountryWide, which I took. They are a really crappy company though and it is a real pain dealing with them. Just to get an agent on the phone takes forever...

The next year I switched to Allstate because the gave me a higher limits and at a better rate then I was paying at Counrywide. Now It's time to look for better rates again...

Note: This was for Brooklyn.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 05:57:38 AM by Avid Reader »

Offline bades

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2010, 10:52:58 AM »
There is no reason to show loyalty, if you are getting better rates. However generally if you stay with the same company they will lower your rates.

Offline azhoopsfan

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2010, 06:53:11 PM »
There are a few insurance companies (esurance) in which you prepay for the policy and if you want to switch during the term, you don't get a prorated refund.  Most will provide a refund if you switch. 

My wife and I have perfect driving records and found the best rates with Geico.  Also have an umbrella policy with them.   

Offline whYME

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2010, 01:09:43 PM »
well if you live in Brooklyn you'll get much cheaper rates if you register and insure your car(s) in some hicktown in, for example, PA  :)

(of course it could cause you major problems down the road if ch"v something goes wrong...)

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2010, 03:43:15 PM »
well if you live in Brooklyn you'll get much cheaper rates if you register and insure your car(s) in some hicktown in, for example, PA  :)

(of course it could cause you major problems down the road if ch"v something goes wrong...)

Fraud causes rates to go up. High rates make insurance too expensive. Commit fraud to lower your rates. The circle is closed :D
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline whYME

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2010, 12:22:27 AM »

If you live in Brooklyn and do have your vehicle registered and insured in a PA hicktown, if you happen to, say, hit a deer, make sure to do it in or near said hicktown so you don't give the insurance company a reason to suspect anything...

Offline Avid Reader

• View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Silver, National Executive
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2010, 10:57:00 PM »

If you live in Brooklyn and do have your vehicle registered and insured in a PA hicktown, if you happen to, say, hit a deer, make sure to do it in or near said hicktown so you don't give the insurance company a reason to suspect anything...

Why this change of heart, did you hit a deer recently?

Offline muttman

• View Profile
Auto Insurance
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2011, 10:08:48 AM »
What is acceptable to be paying for auto insurance? I live in Monsey, have a clean driving record (no points or accidents) and I am 24 years old. Geico is currently charging me $1,400 on a 2009 base Honda Accord for the year. I feel like I am overpaying.

Any input would be helpful
Thanks
I take no responsibility for the results of your actions

Offline elikay

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Auto Insurance
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2011, 11:13:31 AM »
Does not sound terrible, But to answer this question you must specify what your coverage is.

Offline bades

• View Profile
Re: Auto Insurance
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2011, 12:07:42 PM »
I am an insurance broker, and i will gladly try and save you money, like i did for many others on this site. please pm me :)