Topic Wiki

When signing up for auto insurance, make sure you know what coverage you're getting, and what your deductibles are.

Which Insurance Broker would you recommend:

5MinuteInsure.com
Moshe Fishman
Online Comparison and Purchasing Platform for Auto, Home or Bundle Insurance
Recommended by - Reb Moshe

Nationwide- Yehuda Spero
443-845-9552
speroy@nationwide.com

Insurance Depot
718-921-2300
Info@insdepot.com
Recommend by -Z56

Trumper Insurance
845-356-1899

Recommend by -Yammer

Worldwide Rental Car insurance ask Superflyer

Poll

How much liability insurance do you think is prudent?

Statutory minimum
41 (16%)
61 (23.7%)
18 (7%)
72 (28%)
37 (14.4%)
2 (0.8%)
1m
16 (6.2%)
more than 1m
10 (3.9%)

Total Members Voted: 257

Author Topic: Car Insurance Master Thread  (Read 325824 times)

Offline WAM

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Car Insurance Master Thread
« Reply #1440 on: February 27, 2023, 09:07:14 PM »
I made a tiny accident and I was in the back so I am clearly at fault. Is there a way I can offer the insurance I will pay what they got billed for by the other guy and they should not put the claim on my record? Also is there a way I can ask them what the other guy is claiming as it was a small scratches but that guy would not budge and only wanted to bill insurance but I want to make sure he doesn't rip off tons of things.
We did not make a report. But we have pictures and videos of what happened. Any ideas for my best step would be greatly appreciated
how is he collecting from your insurance without a police report?
Which state did this happen in and how long ago?

Offline EliJelly

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1441 on: May 02, 2023, 12:39:06 AM »
My insurance premiums have been increasing steadily with each renewal, although I have an excellent driving record. Last year when I called in, they said it's because the high cost of replacement in the current car market, the many claims they have due to hurricane in Florida gulf coast etc. but looks like it has become the new norm. I'm with Geico. Anyone else experiencing the same? How do you go about?   

Offline yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #1442 on: May 02, 2023, 06:33:30 AM »
My insurance premiums have been increasing steadily with each renewal, although I have an excellent driving record. Last year when I called in, they said it's because the high cost of replacement in the current car market, the many claims they have due to hurricane in Florida gulf coast etc. but looks like it has become the new norm. I'm with Geico. Anyone else experiencing the same? How do you go about?
I also currently use Geico and had a steep increase this renewal.

Offline Spoon

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: May 02, 2023, 08:20:44 AM »
How do you go about?

Start getting quotes from other companies

Offline EliJelly

• View Profile
« Reply #1444 on: May 02, 2023, 10:52:53 AM »
Start getting quotes from other companies

I started off with a very cheap price and still relatively low. Geico bases very much on credit score and you can get a better deal there with an excellent score.

Offline Spoon

• View Profile
« Reply #1445 on: May 02, 2023, 11:07:24 AM »
I started off with a very cheap price and still relatively low. Geico bases very much on credit score and you can get a better deal there with an excellent score.

My insurance premiums have been increasing steadily with each renewal

It's very simple if you can find cheaper, switch. You don't owe Geico anything.

Offline Definitions

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1446 on: May 02, 2023, 11:12:08 AM »
I have an excellent credit score (although I dont have any loans like a mortgage or car) and Geico has always been the most expensive quote I've gotten whenever I get a quote.
My Tapatalk notifications don't always work.

Offline dm123

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1447 on: May 02, 2023, 11:38:15 AM »

I assume this means you did get a new quote from other insureres recently?

I was with Geico in the past (and actually bought a stock in BRK.B for that discount) and when they started creeping up I got a cheaper quote from Allstate and moved over. When Allstate started creeping up a few years later I got a much cheaper quote from Geico, I asked my agent why and if he could match, he told me he can only do it for new customers so go back to Geico and then I went back to him 6 months later for a similar low rate which seems to be stable the last few years. Renewal is coming up in a few months so we'll see what happens then.

Think it's been discussed somewhere here before but car insurance has this pretty blatantly that the longer you stay with them the higher your premium is. So much for customer loyalty. Easy way to save a few hundred bucks - get new quotes every few years.

Offline EliJelly

• View Profile
« Reply #1448 on: May 02, 2023, 03:29:25 PM »
I have an excellent credit score (although I dont have any loans like a mortgage or car) and Geico has always been the most expensive quote I've gotten whenever I get a quote.

Interesting. When I was shopping for insurance for the first time my broker told me that lowest he can get for me in Brooklyn is $1200-$1400, but he was honest enough to tell me to check with Geico if I have good credit. Geico had it for $776 for $100,000/$300,000 coverage. Perhaps they look for credit diversity? What is your score at?

Offline Definitions

• View Profile
« Reply #1449 on: May 02, 2023, 08:03:25 PM »
Interesting. When I was shopping for insurance for the first time my broker told me that lowest he can get for me in Brooklyn is $1200-$1400, but he was honest enough to tell me to check with Geico if I have good credit. Geico had it for $776 for $100,000/$300,000 coverage. Perhaps they look for credit diversity? What is your score at?
820's
The numbers you said are for 1 year or 6 months?

Offline Yakov15

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1450 on: May 02, 2023, 10:24:36 PM »
I assume this means you did get a new quote from other insureres recently?

I was with Geico in the past (and actually bought a stock in BRK.B for that discount) and when they started creeping up I got a cheaper quote from Allstate and moved over. When Allstate started creeping up a few years later I got a much cheaper quote from Geico, I asked my agent why and if he could match, he told me he can only do it for new customers so go back to Geico and then I went back to him 6 months later for a similar low rate which seems to be stable the last few years. Renewal is coming up in a few months so we'll see what happens then.

Think it's been discussed somewhere here before but car insurance has this pretty blatantly that the longer you stay with them the higher your premium is. So much for customer loyalty. Easy way to save a few hundred bucks - get new quotes every few years.
Get new quotes every 6 months to a year IME.

Offline EliJelly

• View Profile
« Reply #1451 on: May 03, 2023, 12:24:11 AM »
820's
The numbers you said are for 1 year or 6 months?

6 months

Offline Definitions

• View Profile
« Reply #1452 on: May 03, 2023, 01:22:09 AM »
6 months
I see, that is quite expensive then.
I have 12 months for $990 for 100/300 with Plymouth Rock (through an agent).
My car is 2013 so not too valuable. I don't think that should affect the rates too much though. I don't have collision. No accidents or moving violations.

Offline EliJelly

• View Profile
« Reply #1453 on: May 03, 2023, 01:50:58 AM »
I see, that is quite expensive then.
I have 12 months for $990 for 100/300 with Plymouth Rock (through an agent).
My car is 2013 so not too valuable. I don't think that should affect the rates too much though. I don't have collision. No accidents or moving violations.

Collision is a nice chunk and where you live is a key factor as well.

Offline Definitions

• View Profile
« Reply #1454 on: May 03, 2023, 09:45:34 AM »
According to the policy documents by Plymouth they use the credit score and vehicle information among other factors to give a premium.

Offline ae123

• View Profile
« Reply #1455 on: May 03, 2023, 06:24:48 PM »
Get new quotes every 6 months to a year IME.
1 - No issue of credit pulls?
2 - Are insurance companies wary of someone who switches often?
3 - GEICO officially forgives 1 accident if someone was with them for 5 years.

Offline myi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 356
    • View Profile
  • Programs: 2Many2List!
« Reply #1456 on: May 09, 2023, 05:45:24 PM »
Any reason to use an agent for car insurance? Or go direct with a company like Geico and the sort?
 As well I would assume joining a spouses plan would be best off even of one has an accident while the other does not? As the rates for a married person is cheaper than those of a single person.
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline Abey

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1457 on: May 09, 2023, 05:58:13 PM »
Any reason to use an agent for car insurance? Or go direct with a company like Geico and the sort?
 As well I would assume joining a spouses plan would be best off even of one has an accident while the other does not? As the rates for a married person is cheaper than those of a single person.
Geico does not have individual agents. Some carriers like Erie qoute many ZIP Codes on thru with agents.

Offline davidd75

• View Profile
« Reply #1458 on: June 15, 2023, 02:51:44 PM »
ouch even more rate increases coming?

Thank you for choosing GEICO Insurance
We are required by the State of New Jersey to provide the following notice regarding a potential rate change.
This is to provide notice as required pursuant to N.J.S.A.52:27EE-51 that Government Employees Insurance Company filed on March 28, 2023, with the New Jersey Department of Banking and Insurance a request for a rate increase in the amount of 26.3% for the private passenger automobile line of business.
Under the proposed filing, the average liability-only policy will see a rate change of 18.7%. The average Full Coverage policy (includes comprehensive and collision coverage) will see a rate change of 26.3%. The impact of the filing on your rates may vary substantially, depending on the terms of your policy and your individual circumstances.
The request for a rate increase is subject to review and approval by the Department of Banking and Insurance pursuant to law, and the request ultimately may not be approved or may not be approved for the full amount requested. If approved in whole or in part, the rate change will not affect existing policies until they come up for renewal. This rate change will not go into effect before December 12, 2023. Any premium increase would be included in your renewal following the December effective date.
Thank you again for insuring with GEICO. We look forward to continuing to serve your insurance needs.
Sincerely,
Your GEICO Service Team

Offline ae123

• View Profile
« Reply #1459 on: June 18, 2023, 08:01:21 PM »
ouch even more rate increases coming?

Thank you for choosing GEICO Insurance
We are required by the State of New Jersey to provide the following notice regarding a potential rate change.
This is to provide notice as required pursuant to N.J.S.A.52:27EE-51 that Government Employees Insurance Company filed on March 28, 2023, with the New Jersey Department of Banking and Insurance a request for a rate increase in the amount of 26.3% for the private passenger automobile line of business.
Under the proposed filing, the average liability-only policy will see a rate change of 18.7%. The average Full Coverage policy (includes comprehensive and collision coverage) will see a rate change of 26.3%. The impact of the filing on your rates may vary substantially, depending on the terms of your policy and your individual circumstances.
The request for a rate increase is subject to review and approval by the Department of Banking and Insurance pursuant to law, and the request ultimately may not be approved or may not be approved for the full amount requested. If approved in whole or in part, the rate change will not affect existing policies until they come up for renewal. This rate change will not go into effect before December 12, 2023. Any premium increase would be included in your renewal following the December effective date.
Thank you again for insuring with GEICO. We look forward to continuing to serve your insurance needs.
Sincerely,
Your GEICO Service Team
Will only GEICO be going up or will others too?