Topic Wiki

When signing up for auto insurance, make sure you know what coverage you're getting, and what your deductibles are.

Which Insurance Broker would you recommend:

5MinuteInsure.com
Moshe Fishman
Online Comparison and Purchasing Platform for Auto, Home or Bundle Insurance
Recommended by - Reb Moshe

Nationwide- Yehuda Spero
443-845-9552
speroy@nationwide.com

Insurance Depot
718-921-2300
Info@insdepot.com
Recommend by -Z56

Trumper Insurance
845-356-1899

Recommend by -Yammer

Worldwide Rental Car insurance ask Superflyer

Poll

How much liability insurance do you think is prudent?

Statutory minimum
41 (16%)
61 (23.7%)
18 (7%)
72 (28%)
37 (14.4%)
2 (0.8%)
1m
16 (6.2%)
more than 1m
10 (3.9%)

Total Members Voted: 257

Author Topic: Car Insurance Master Thread  (Read 321527 times)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
I'm crying inside.

CLE looks better and better every day, even though where I'm from (not where I am now) it's gotta be similar, but I didn't think it was that good.

I didn't even think that was possible for a new car.
Cleveland rocks, that's what I've been telling you guys :D
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
To qualify and clarify, the reason I suggest raising your deductible to $1000 is because insurance, in my view, is for "holy crap" issues, not issues where the driver will incur $500-1000 or even $2000 in charges.

Making a claim for anything in that range will more than eat up (over a lifetime) any savings from having a lower deductible.

I wouldn't even consider making a claim for less than $3,000, which is why I'd say save the money and raise your deductible.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
To qualify and clarify, the reason I suggest raising your deductible to $1000 is because insurance, in my view, is for "holy crap" issues, not issues where the driver will incur $500-1000 or even $2000 in charges.

Making a claim for anything in that range will more than eat up for savings from having a lower deductible.

I wouldn't even consider making a claim for less than $3,000, which is why I'd say save the money and raise your deductible.
Agreed, have to be crazy to make a small claim. The only problem comes if say $4K in damages occur c"v that only $3K would be covered.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline KidOOO

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
That's what I pay for 6 months on my Altima :o

That's insain

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.

Making a claim for anything in that range will more than eat up (over a lifetime) any savings from having a lower deductible.

Smart!
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
Agreed, have to be crazy to make a small claim. The only problem comes if say $4K in damages occur c"v that only $3K would be covered.

As opposed to $3500...  I mean, we're not talking a tremendous amount of money here.

Truth be told, even for $3500, I may not make a claim. You'll pay significantly more than that over the course of a lifetime if you end up making that claim. As I said, and as I believe, insurance is for "holy crap" issues, bli eiyin hara, lo aleinu.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline aussiebochur

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
Now that I'm looking at it I can lower my 6 month premium from $277.45 to $233.42 if I change my deductible to $1,000.

Think I should do that?  What do others here carry?
What do you reckon the chances of making a claim over $1000 in 5+ years is?

Offline AJK

• View Profile
What do you reckon the chances of making a claim over $1000 in 5+ years is?

If it was that simple to calculate, he'd have his answer :P

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
As opposed to $3500...  I mean, we're not talking a tremendous amount of money here.
Opposed to $3,900 for what I carry now for comprehensive, but I think you have me convinced.

So how much coverage do others here carry?

Offline AJK

• View Profile
Opposed to $3,900 for what I carry now for comprehensive, but I think you have me convinced.

So how much coverage do others here carry?

As in limits or in deductibles?

As for the latter, I practice what I preach :P

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
As in limits or in deductibles?

As for the latter, I practice what I preach :P
Both.

Offline aussiebochur

• View Profile
If it was that simple to calculate, he'd have his answer :P
If youve driven for ten years and never made a claim, you would probably say definitely raise it.

If youre someone thats made 5 claims in 10 years, maybe not.

Offline aussiebochur

• View Profile

Btw, do claims made to cc company on rentals have an effect on regular insurance policies?

Offline AJK

• View Profile
Both.

I'd rather not discuss limits in public. If you're interested feel free to PM.

If youve driven for ten years and never made a claim, you would probably say definitely raise it.

I'd imagine most people would fall between those two sides of the spectrum... perhaps Dan is on one or the other? If so, I'd agree.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile

Never made a claim in my 11 years of driving.

My new policy is below, $38.90/month, thanks guys!

Offline AJK

• View Profile
Btw, do claims made to cc company on rentals have an effect on regular insurance policies?

You mean if you're using your personal insurance as a means to make the rental company whole? Why wouldn't they?

What a complete and utterly ridiculous joke.

Offline aussiebochur

• View Profile

Good choice.

If you never made a claim as a bochur, Id it would be very infrequent after getting married having a kid/s.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
It would assume it wouldn't as long as you didn't have to make a claim with your own insurance and there's no police report.

Offline aussiebochur

• View Profile
You mean if you're using your personal insurance as a means to make the rental company whole? Why wouldn't they?

No, I mean if theres damage done to the rental vehicle and the cc company pays out the rental company. No involvement of your insurance company.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
And I wonder if it will fall further when my wife turns 25?