Topic Wiki

When signing up for auto insurance, make sure you know what coverage you're getting, and what your deductibles are.

Which Insurance Broker would you recommend:

5MinuteInsure.com
Moshe Fishman
Online Comparison and Purchasing Platform for Auto, Home or Bundle Insurance
Recommended by - Reb Moshe

Nationwide- Yehuda Spero
443-845-9552
speroy@nationwide.com

Insurance Depot
718-921-2300
Info@insdepot.com
Recommend by -Z56

Trumper Insurance
845-356-1899

Recommend by -Yammer

Worldwide Rental Car insurance ask Superflyer

Poll

How much liability insurance do you think is prudent?

Statutory minimum
41 (16%)
61 (23.7%)
18 (7%)
72 (28%)
37 (14.4%)
2 (0.8%)
1m
16 (6.2%)
more than 1m
10 (3.9%)

Total Members Voted: 257

Author Topic: Car Insurance Master Thread  (Read 325547 times)

Offline rivkao

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Car Insurance Master Thread
« Reply #500 on: May 09, 2014, 10:01:37 AM »

Never made a claim with geico, but boy were they cheap compared to everyone else. I pay $300 per 6 months for 2 cars.
Wow! That's cheap! I pay over four times as much for one car! That's how it is when you live in NYC!

Offline YSP

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: May 09, 2014, 10:04:17 AM »
Wow! That's cheap! I pay over four times as much for one car! That's how it is when you live in NYC!

Those are the rates in OH. The main difference is location but also NY requires much higher coverage on medical payments and lost wages than in OH

Offline DK23

• View Profile
« Reply #502 on: May 09, 2014, 01:18:27 PM »
Those are the rates in OH. The main difference is location but also NY requires much higher coverage on medical payments and lost wages than in OH

Driving in the city is much more expensive than the suburbs in NY.  Then on top of that anywhere out of the tri state area is going to be more affordable.

Offline Shmelly

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: May 22, 2014, 12:08:16 PM »
Got a bit of a sticky situation on my hands and would appreciate any (practical, not ethical) advice.

I'm an Ohio resident according to my license, so for the past 8+ years I've kept my cars registered in OH at the address on my license, which is my parents' legitimate residence.  This has allowed me to pay OH insurance despite living in NY, saving some 50 grand in the process. Unfortunately, my wife was in an accident in December, and after paying out for the claim Nationwide sent me a termination notice stating that they have now determined that I garage the car in NY. This leaves me with a few questions:

1. Anyone ever hear of an insurance company coming after a customer retroactively for claims already paid?
2. Similarly, do they have any grounds for coming after me now to pay said 50 grand that I had saved?
3. Can I simply switch to a different insurance company in OH, or is there some sort of official record now showing every insurance company where I live?

Thanks.
You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. - Dr. Seuss

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #504 on: May 26, 2014, 12:42:40 PM »
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but what you've done is essentially insurance fraud.

I've posted this before:

Guy from Brooklyn I know owned a Ferrari. Lives the summers in Deal. Registered car in NJ to save on insurance. Guy totals said $300,000 Ferrari. Guy makes claim on Insurance.

Insurance investigates. Insurance offers guy two options:

1) We'll pay you the $300,000 and report you for insurance fraud, risking a decade or so in Rikers; or
2) Eat the loss.

He ate it.

At this point, you'd be foolish to keep paying OH insurance, if you even can. <-- That's practical advice.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline YSP

• View Profile
« Reply #505 on: May 26, 2014, 12:46:46 PM »
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but what you've done is essentially insurance fraud.

+1

Offline aaa

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: May 26, 2014, 01:34:35 PM »
Got a bit of a sticky situation on my hands and would appreciate any (practical, not ethical) advice.

I'm an Ohio resident according to my license, so for the past 8+ years I've kept my cars registered in OH at the address on my license, which is my parents' legitimate residence.  This has allowed me to pay OH insurance despite living in NY, saving some 50 grand in the process. Unfortunately, my wife was in an accident in December, and after paying out for the claim Nationwide sent me a termination notice stating that they have now determined that I garage the car in NY. This leaves me with a few questions:

1. Anyone ever hear of an insurance company coming after a customer retroactively for claims already paid?
2. Similarly, do they have any grounds for coming after me now to pay said 50 grand that I had saved?
3. Can I simply switch to a different insurance company in OH, or is there some sort of official record now showing every insurance company where I live?

Thanks.

How did they determine that you keep it in NY?

Offline rivkao

• View Profile
« Reply #507 on: May 26, 2014, 02:48:24 PM »
I got a quote from Geico for about half of what I'm paying now. ($700 lwss for half a year!) I checked all benefits and looks like same. Does it make sense? Should I purchase it?
Had a weird story. Wanted to purchase the cheap offer that they gave me. After I gave payment info they said that offer nearly tripled!! I declined it, and tried again for a different offer ( about same like first) This time it went through. Do you think they'll still add more charges after they approved me?

Offline bkKarachi

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: May 26, 2014, 03:07:37 PM »
Does it make a difference in the insurance price if I'm 21 as appose to 20
Also is there any way of co signing an older driver and bring down the cost of the insurance?

Offline smee123

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: May 26, 2014, 06:22:12 PM »
Does it make a difference in the insurance price if I'm 21 as appose to 20
I think it does

Offline avrumy22

• View Profile
« Reply #510 on: May 28, 2014, 12:48:27 PM »
Had a weird story. Wanted to purchase the cheap offer that they gave me. After I gave payment info they said that offer nearly tripled!! I declined it, and tried again for a different offer ( about same like first) This time it went through. Do you think they'll still add more charges after they approved me?

dont see how they could. I use geico and they were the cheapest. I pay the rate they quoted. BTW they have a student discount  ;D.

Offline YSP

• View Profile
« Reply #511 on: May 28, 2014, 01:26:50 PM »
dont see how they could. I use geico and they were the cheapest. I pay the rate they quoted. BTW they have a student discount  ;D.

They can and they will.

Every company offers good student discounts

Offline Shmelly

• View Profile
« Reply #512 on: June 09, 2014, 04:32:54 PM »

I've posted this before:

Guy from Brooklyn I know owned a Ferrari. Lives the summers in Deal. Registered car in NJ to save on insurance. Guy totals said $300,000 Ferrari. Guy makes claim on Insurance.

Insurance investigates. Insurance offers guy two options:

1) We'll pay you the $300,000 and report you for insurance fraud, risking a decade or so in Rikers; or
2) Eat the loss.

He ate it.

At this point, you'd be foolish to keep paying OH insurance, if you even can. <-- That's practical advice.

I appreciate the advice, but I'd call that pragmatic, not practical. I am still left looking for answers to my questions:

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. - Dr. Seuss

Offline SPLP

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: June 09, 2014, 05:42:03 PM »
I appreciate the advice, but I'd call that pragmatic, not practical. I am still left looking for answers to my questions:

your pt 3-- WOW--guess u  have not learned --u still think ur playing with a $100 amex claim next time u may wind up in jail you admit you beat them out of 50k

Have no experience with your situation -- my 2 cents worth --  I think they can come after you , it is Fraud -- but will they? --- insurance co are subject to all kind of laws/regulations  and they follow them AND  remember ---they "investigated"  and found out you lied -- large Co's have "in house" everything --

not trying to scare you , but "think"  what if ur next accident people get killed who do u think will need to pay --NOT THE INSURANCE CO

Offline Super Speed

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis First, National Executive Elite, Sixt Platinum.
Car Insurance Master Thread
« Reply #514 on: June 09, 2014, 09:11:33 PM »

your pt 3-- WOW--guess u  have not learned --u still think ur playing with a $100 amex claim next time u may wind up in jail you admit you beat them out of 50k

Have no experience with your situation -- my 2 cents worth --  I think they can come after you , it is Fraud -- but will they? --- insurance co are subject to all kind of laws/regulations  and they follow them AND  remember ---they "investigated"  and found out you lied -- large Co's have "in house" everything --

not trying to scare you , but "think"  what if ur next accident people get killed who do u think will need to pay --NOT THE INSURANCE CO
+1 What people would do to save a few bucks.

Offline Shmelly

• View Profile
« Reply #515 on: June 10, 2014, 10:09:10 AM »

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #516 on: June 10, 2014, 10:11:29 AM »
It will make that sum look like pennies if faced with a not insignificant stint in the state pen,  b"eh.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline YSP

• View Profile
« Reply #517 on: June 10, 2014, 10:12:18 AM »

1.Yes
2. Yes
3.There's a record. They may allow you to purchase a new policy in OH but that will also catch up with you eventually.

Offline notanonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #518 on: June 10, 2014, 10:14:53 AM »
It will make that sum look like pennies if faced with a not insignificant stint in the state pen,  b"eh.
???

Do you mean ch'v?

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #519 on: June 10, 2014, 10:16:17 AM »
Sure, that works, too.