Author Topic: Laser eye surgery  (Read 20465 times)

Offline lala

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Laser eye surgery
« on: June 11, 2012, 02:11:28 AM »
Anyone here ever had it done?

Where did you have it done? How much did you pay? How happy were you with the results?

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
Re: Laser eye surgery
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 02:16:08 AM »
Don't know if you're asking opinions too, but its beyond me why someone would risk being blind for life when the return is simply not having to wear glasses.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline Galitzyaner

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 02:50:35 AM »
Don't know if you're asking opinions too, but its beyond me why someone would risk being blind for life when the return is simply not having to wear glasses.
+1 that's my perspective as well.  Though I do know someone who's done it and is quite happy..
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 02:58:51 AM by Galitzyaner »

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 02:56:02 AM »
+2
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 03:13:19 AM »
+2
Perhaps someone should link to the free glasses thread
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline JEWDA

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 75
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Dansdeals PRESIDENTIAL Platinum Elite, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, Avis Presidents Club, King Fisher Silver, Hertz #1 Club President Circle Gold, SIXT Platinum, PC Platinum Elite
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 10:31:54 AM »

Where did you have it done? How much did you pay? How happy were you with the results?

I think the new surgery they do these days is called Lasik surgery it's a much better way then Laser . I don't know much about it but would also like to know more.

Actually there are places that are known to be very good and the chances of becoming blind are very slim. If you tell me you know people that got blind from it I would be surprised. I know a dozen people that did it including my brother about 8 or 9 years ago and B"h he sees better then 20/20. Very easy to just asume that it's dangerous but thousands of people are doing it daily.

Your Ad Can Be Here! PM For Lowest Rates.

Offline karen

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 10:40:24 AM »

Many of my co-workers and friends have it done. It cost about 3K-5K depends on your eye near sight degree. They are very happy with results.

Offline good sam

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2012, 10:47:15 AM »
It seems people are instinctively afraid of a procedure on their eyes.  There are risks to laser surgery but I don't think blindness is one of them.
http://www.fda.gov/MedicalDevices/ProductsandMedicalProcedures/SurgeryandLifeSupport/LASIK/ucm061354.htm
If you don't care why would you comment?
HT: DMYD

Offline Name Changed

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Avis Presidents Club, National Executive Elite, Hertz Presidents Circle, Sixt Platinum, SPG Gold, eBay Platinum
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2012, 10:52:27 AM »
As @Jewda said that Laser surgery had a slight risk.

Now Lasik the is basically no risk.

I was at the eye doctor this past Thursday and he was discussing it with me...
He said the risk is a old thing...
I am not trying to convince anyone into it at all, but to call it a risk of becoming blind is basically if you are basing it on what you hear 10 years ago is an uneducated statement.

Offline JEWDA

• View Profile
  • Programs: Dansdeals PRESIDENTIAL Platinum Elite, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, Avis Presidents Club, King Fisher Silver, Hertz #1 Club President Circle Gold, SIXT Platinum, PC Platinum Elite
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2012, 11:31:14 AM »
to call it a risk of becoming blind is basically if you are basing it on what you hear 10 years ago is an uneducated statement.
+1

Offline elizmm

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • 404 - Page not found
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2012, 11:35:59 AM »
+1

Do you know why they changed from laser to lasik? Because the laser was no good, it was not permanent and the issues came back after a few years. It is too soon to know about lasik.

So we do see that what we heard 10 years ago about laser being unstable are correct.
It is all from Hashem and he will continue to give!

Offline JEWDA

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2012, 11:40:22 AM »
Do you know why they changed from laser to lasik? Because the laser was no good, it was not permanent and the issues came back after a few years. It is too soon to know about lasik.

So we do see that what we heard 10 years ago about laser being unstable are correct.
Like I said my brother did Laser like 9 years ago and b'h is seeing great. They didn't change because it was no good, they changed because laser method used to actually cut the eye and would take time to heal, so they came up with lasik wich does not cut the eye at all AFAIK.

Offline Saver2000

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2012, 11:45:12 AM »
Do you know why they changed from laser to lasik? B ecause the laser was no good, it was not permanent and the issues came back after a few years.   It is too soon to know about lasik.

Are you sure that's the reason?

Offline elizmm

• View Profile
    • 404 - Page not found
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2012, 11:49:02 AM »
Are you sure that's the reason?
Not 100% sure, but I know of a few people that had the laser method done right in the beginning when they came out and they were back to glasses within a few years.

Offline elizmm

• View Profile
    • 404 - Page not found
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2012, 11:51:30 AM »
http://www.fda.gov/MedicalDevices/ProductsandMedicalProcedures/SurgeryandLifeSupport/LASIK/ucm061354.htm

"the long-term safety and effectiveness of LASIK surgery is not known."

Offline JEWDA

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2012, 11:53:21 AM »
Not 100% sure, but I know of a few people that had the laser method done right in the beginning when they came out and they were back to glasses within a few years.
That could be because of many other reasons other then the Surgery, for example if they did the surgery while their perscrition was not stable. And I also heard that with Lasik your perscrition doesn't have to be stable and after the surgery it can't go up.

Offline elizmm

• View Profile
    • 404 - Page not found
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2012, 11:55:01 AM »
That could be because of many other reasons other then the Surgery, for example if they did the surgery while their perscrition was not stable. And I also heard that with Lasik your perscrition doesn't have to be stable and after the surgery it can't go up.

I see myself getting lasik but perhaps in 10-15 years when there is enough data and testing.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2012, 11:55:36 AM »
@Name Changed - I'm not basing it on hear say, I consulted one of the top Israeli eye doctors, who does these kind of things himself. He told me its utter madness to do it. I wouldn't take a .001 chance of getting blind, when the sole return is the lack of necessity to wear glasses.

Offline good sam

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2012, 11:56:57 AM »
@Name Changed - I'm not basing it on hear say, I consulted one of the top Israeli eye doctors, who does these kind of things himself. He told me its utter madness to do it. I wouldn't take a .001 chance of getting blind, when the sole return is the lack of necessity to wear glasses.
I would guess that you take greater risks for less reward on a daily basis
If you don't care why would you comment?
HT: DMYD

Offline JEWDA

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2012, 11:57:12 AM »
So why does he do it?

I would guess that you take greater risks for less reward on a daily basis
+1 Like driving a car.