Author Topic: Laser eye surgery  (Read 20644 times)

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Re: Laser eye surgery
« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2012, 11:10:17 PM »
@Lala, I have over 7 on each eye.
I am well into the 4 digits
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline Deal Guy

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2012, 12:35:00 AM »
I remember a number of years ago, my cousin had it done on both eyes, and for a few days she had trouble seeing.

Offline SK

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2012, 12:07:48 AM »
I got lasik done 5 years ago and my husband around 6 or 7 years ago and we are both still very happy.

Offline good sam

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2012, 10:23:19 AM »
I got lasik done 5 years ago and my husband around 6 or 7 years ago and we are both still very happy.
Impressive.  Are you still satisfied with the Lasik?  :P
If you don't care why would you comment?
HT: DMYD

Offline Cholentfresser

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2012, 10:30:31 AM »
I have a friend whos father is an opthamologist, and quite a few of his siblings have pretty high prescriptions, and maybe only one of the brothers got lasik. methinks if he was comfortable enough with it, all his kids would have it...
In order to understand recursion, you first need to understand recursion.

Offline YankyDoodle

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2012, 06:21:30 PM »
I have a friend whos father is an opthamologist, and quite a few of his siblings have pretty high prescriptions, and maybe only one of the brothers got lasik. methinks if he was comfortable enough with it, all his kids would have it...

ophthalmologist. That's all

Offline ash G

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
Eye LASIK surgery
« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2013, 06:58:55 PM »
Most of my friends had it done by dr perrone any recommendations he is fair priced compared to the manhattan braggin Harvard educated who charge double :D

Offline MisterHock

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
Re: Eye LASIK surgery
« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2013, 07:00:16 PM »
English you speak?

Offline ash G

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2013, 07:05:09 PM »
Say what

Offline AWAYD

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 13, 2013, 01:30:00 PM »
I have done LASIK last May after thinking about 5 years about it.

LASIK is eye surgery that permanently changes the shape of the cornea (the clear covering on the front of the eye).

Procedure is well established and if you were not skipping your physics lessons - it is not different than changing the focus using a lens at a different angle.

Takes 5 min, next day you see things that you have forgotten you ever saw. Cost is about 3500 which can be expensed through HSA to get tax benefit.

You save a lot of money because you don't have to have
1. contact lenses
2. regular glasses
3. sunglasses with prescription
4. if you do sports-- say scuba-- custom made prescription mask by itself runs about $500

These things over lifetime cost a fortune (say 1000/year compounded...do the math)

If you are not 0.01% of the population - then this procedure can be done couple of times - so even if something is wrong they can re-do it (and by something wrong I am taking not 100% correction - 2 friends of mine had it done twice -- one has done it 10 yrs ago (with actual blade incision and later re-done with blade-less lasik, another one had it doe 2 yrs ago).

One of the best investments in my life. I can actually see people from far away now, when you travel and do activity you are no longer limited (I did pick up skydiving right after:).

If you want to do in NYC - PM and I can recommend

Offline MosheD

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 13, 2013, 01:49:56 PM »

Not everyone is eligable... My father does it and my brother has a very high persciption couldn't get it

Offline ash G

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 13, 2013, 09:26:58 PM »
I find that the manhattan dr charge a fortune while the Brooklyn dr are much cheaper and just as highly recommended.

Dr perrone is charging $2000 total covers everything, so yea after thinking about it for ten years I'm finally coming around, thank you ;)

My numbers are also pretty high plus astigmatism, It cost me $500 every time I buy new glasses will not only save me a fortune over the years ill be able to scuba dive lol

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2013, 09:38:20 PM »
I definitely see the appeal, but I just can't comprehend how it's worth the risk.

You guys are making this sound like something you come to do as a cost-benefit analysis, as if you're inventing in a new business and will come out ahead.  But who would give up their vision even for all the money in the world?

Even if the risks are small is it really worthwhile? Sure for 99% it will be, but what of the 1%?

http://www.fda.gov/MedicalDevices/ProductsandMedicalProcedures/SurgeryandLifeSupport/LASIK/ucm061354.htm
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline ash G

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 13, 2013, 09:42:55 PM »
Dan, while I don't know the statistics everyone that I know who did LASIK are doing just fine plus they got rid of the darn glasses. Don't know what the risk if any but hey it works. I've had glasses my entire life with very high prescription this will change my life in a way lots of people won't understand.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #54 on: April 13, 2013, 09:44:50 PM »
@AWAYD why are you able to see better after LASIK? Did you not wear glasses before? You sound more like a first time glasses wearer that someone who had LASIK done.

Also $1000 a year for someone who has glasses? I've had 2 pairs over the past 10 years. They were about $200 a pair so it'd take me close too 100 years to become cost effective. And like Dan pointed out the small percent who have complications such as blurred night vision, how is it worth it?

Eta- I heard the instance of comolcation is less than 1 in 1000 so its less than 1%...
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #55 on: April 13, 2013, 09:50:02 PM »
Eta- I heard the instance of comolcation is less than 1 in 1000 so its less than 1%...
May be propaganda, but still this is a surgery we're talking about, not a walk in the park:
http://www.lifeafterlasik.com/
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline ash G

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 13, 2013, 10:07:15 PM »
You remind me of the liberal left preaching global warming, if you google LASIK you will have more people who will say the opposite and don't believe much of the latter, but Dan we still love you your a life savior

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 13, 2013, 10:10:33 PM »
No need to preach to me the garbage that doctors making millions off the surgery do. 
I'm not talking about a theoretical, I'm talking about practical. 
There have been articles in mainstream papers about the risks, about pilots who were forced to retire after bad lasik operations.

I just don't believe in elective surgeries.  There is no such thing as a surgery without risk and if you have been fed that line then you've been sold the brooklyn bridge.

The FDA wouldn't say stuff like this if they didn't happen and yes, it could happen to you even if the side effects are rare:

"Some patients lose vision. Some patients lose lines of vision on the vision chart that cannot be corrected with glasses, contact lenses, or surgery as a result of treatment.
    Some patients develop debilitating visual symptoms. Some patients develop glare, halos, and/or double vision that can seriously affect nighttime vision. Even with good vision on the vision chart, some patients do not see as well in situations of low contrast, such as at night or in fog, after treatment as compared to before treatment
    Some patients may develop severe dry eye syndrome. As a result of surgery, your eye may not be able to produce enough tears to keep the eye moist and comfortable. Dry eye not only causes discomfort, but can reduce visual quality due to intermittent blurring and other visual symptoms. This condition may be permanent. Intensive drop therapy and use of plugs or other procedures may be required.
    Long-term data are not available. LASIK is a relatively new technology. The first laser was approved for LASIK eye surgery in 1998. Therefore, the long-term safety and effectiveness of LASIK surgery is not known."
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 10:20:39 PM by Dan »

Offline ash G

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 13, 2013, 10:13:31 PM »
I'm not convinced by any dr preaching but by the results I've seen over the years especially with LASIK perhaps ill be able too see you better next time your in ny lol

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 13, 2013, 10:17:01 PM »
I'm not convinced by any dr preaching but by the results I've seen over the years especially with LASIK perhaps ill be able too see you better next time your in ny lol
LASIK doesn't make you see better, but nice try.