Topic Wiki

To sign up:

http://www.dansdeals.com/go/BusinessGold5/

$100 Airline Fee Credit:
You must select an airline before you make the charge, which can be a combination of a few charges, but they all have to be from the same airline.
To select: http://americanexpress.com/selectAFC (different than the link for the platinum)
« Last edited by Dan on December 06, 2016, 03:21:56 PM »

Author Topic: AMEX Premier Gold  (Read 332391 times)

Offline yid

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Re: Amex premier gold airfare bonus
« Reply #140 on: July 05, 2011, 03:47:00 PM »
The above posts seem to be at odds with each other...

So for clarification:

I am about to spend a few thousand dollars on travel from a Travel Agency based out of Israel called "GLOBAL TRAVELS JERUSALEM"

My question is: Do I use AMEX Gold or do I use my 2% Cash Back Visa?

I would use AMEX Gold, but only if I get the 3x bonus; otherwise, I'd use my 2% cash back (which is worth more than 1x AMEX MR points).

Anyone have any insight?

when i booked through a jerusalem travel agent the charge came through as from elal.
bear in mind that you probably will have to pay a foreign transaction fee of 3% on the amex on the tickets. if your 2% visa has no foreign transaction fees your better off with that. otherwise use the amex

Offline Side incomer

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 05, 2011, 03:55:11 PM »
The above posts seem to be at odds with each other...

So for clarification:

I am about to spend a few thousand dollars on travel from a Travel Agency based out of Israel called "GLOBAL TRAVELS JERUSALEM"

My question is: Do I use AMEX Gold or do I use my 2% Cash Back Visa?

I would use AMEX Gold, but only if I get the 3x bonus; otherwise, I'd use my 2% cash back (which is worth more than 1x AMEX MR points).

Anyone have any insight?
Definitely thru Amex gold, if you won't get the points you should just SM or call and they will gladly give it you.
Side income is the most solid income... בדוק ומנוסה

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #142 on: July 05, 2011, 04:11:51 PM »
when i booked through a jerusalem travel agent the charge came through as from elal.
bear in mind that you probably will have to pay a foreign transaction fee of 3% on the amex on the tickets. if your 2% visa has no foreign transaction fees your better off with that. otherwise use the amex

Excellent catch on the (possible) forex fee. Anyway to know if I would get smacked with a forex fee before I make the charge? My cash back card is the 2% charles schwab visa which, AFAIK, has zero forex fees.

EDIT: I have charged travel expenses from this same Israeli travel agent to my Charles Schwab Visa in the past, but I have no idea if they were "foreign exchange fee worthy." I mean, it looks like I got charged in $ - does that help figure it out? How would I find out?

Definitely thru Amex gold, if you won't get the points you should just SM or call and they will gladly give it you.

Great to know. Thanks for the prompt reply. (Just need to work out the forex issue before charging on AMEX.)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 04:53:24 PM by AJK »
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Aben

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 05, 2011, 04:43:48 PM »
If the charge is in dollars even though it is done in Israel there is no Forex fee this is with American Express.
I know that with Citi bank CC you will get charged regardless if the charge is in dollars.
Elal tickets are billed in Dollars.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #144 on: July 05, 2011, 04:48:33 PM »
If the charge is in dollars even though it is done in Israel there is no Forex fee this is with American Express.
I know that with Citi bank CC you will get charged regardless if the charge is in dollars.

Thanks for the valuable data point. As I edited my post above to indicate, I have used my Charles Schwab Visa Cash Back card with zero forex fees to pay for my tickets in the past, and it got charged (as seen on my statement) in USD/$.

Does this make me safe to charge this upcoming amount on AMEX to get the 3x?
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Aben

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 05, 2011, 04:52:53 PM »
Which airline are you trying to book?

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 05, 2011, 04:54:01 PM »
Which airline are you trying to book?

Most of the tickets were booked on Delta IIRC.

Offline Aben

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 05, 2011, 04:55:25 PM »
Most of the tickets were booked on Delta IIRC.
They were booked or they are going to be booked?

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: July 05, 2011, 04:59:04 PM »
They were booked or they are going to be booked?

Travel agent laid out the money for me. I need to pay him back. So, they were booked.

Offline Aben

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 05, 2011, 05:07:55 PM »
Travel agent laid out the money for me. I need to pay him back. So, they were booked.
Then it is too late for my idea.
Which was, if the travel agent is dumping on extra fees or it is some sort of a special ticket that they need to put the credit card through their system, then ask them to split up that charges i.e. cost of ticket from airline $1000 + $25 booking fee or whatever. I have done that in the past, they may not like doing it, depending on the travel agent they may do it.

In regards to 3x from Travel agents, technically they are not eligible, however I have done it in the past and usually amex will give it to you. I once had a issue but after calling a couple of times and explaining to them that I had no idea that they were booking it that way and telling them that I can send them the Itinerary I was able to get the 3x.

I would take the gamble!

Offline yid

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #150 on: July 05, 2011, 05:12:22 PM »
thanks for this info. i was in israel for years and didn't know this!

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 05, 2011, 05:19:56 PM »

In regards to 3x from Travel agents, technically they are not eligible, however I have done it in the past and usually amex will give it to you. I once had a issue but after calling a couple of times and explaining to them that I had no idea that they were booking it that way and telling them that I can send them the Itinerary I was able to get the 3x.

What exactly did you explain to them?

I would take the gamble!

I'd agree. I figure it this way:

Assume I'm spending $2000.00.
Using VISA: 2% cash back = $40.00.
Using AMEX: (assuming only 1x) 2000 MR points = $30.00 (assuming I can sell for $.015 - which I likely can)
Using AMEX: (if I get 3x) 6000 MR points = $90.00

So by using the AMEX, I risk losing $10 (if I only ultimately get 1x) for a chance at making an additional $60 (if I ultimately get 3x).

Seem right to you?

Also -- the last wrinkle is if I will get smacked with a 2.7% AMEX Forex fee... Still haven't heard from anyone their opinion on that... To repeat:

I have charged travel expenses from this same Israeli travel agent to my Charles Schwab Visa in the past, but I have no idea if they were "foreign exchange fee worthy." I mean, it looks like I got charged in $ - but I'm not sure if that's conclusive....  How would I find out?

Offline Aben

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 06, 2011, 07:37:22 AM »
What exactly did you explain to them?

That I purchased airline tickets and how was I supposed to know that it must come directly from the airline

So by using the AMEX, I risk losing $10 (if I only ultimately get 1x) for a chance at making an additional $60 (if I ultimately get 3x).

Seem right to you?
Yes

Also -- the last wrinkle is if I will get smacked with a 2.7% AMEX Forex fee... Still haven't heard from anyone their opinion on that... To repeat:
I do not think you will receive the forex fee if the transaction is in dollars.

I have charged travel expenses from this same Israeli travel agent to my Charles Schwab Visa in the past, but I have no idea if they were "foreign exchange fee worthy." I mean, it looks like I got charged in $ - but I'm not sure if that's conclusive....  How would I find out?
I do not think there are forex fees w/ Charles Schwab
The charges on your credit card will always be in dollars, on your actual statement it may say the exact shekel amount and the conversion rate.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 07:48:08 AM by Aben »

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 06, 2011, 06:32:25 PM »
I do not think there are forex fees w/ Charles Schwab
The charges on your credit card will always be in dollars, on your actual statement it may say the exact shekel amount and the conversion rate.

Yes, Charles Schwab does not have forex fees. That being said, I have used the CS card for past dealings with this Israeli travel agent, and my statement those charges have showed up as being in dollars. No shekels, no conversion rate. With that being the case, would it be safe to assume that I would not incur forex fees on AMEX for this Israeli travel agent? Thanks

Offline elikay

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 06, 2011, 08:51:42 PM »
Yes, Charles Schwab does not have forex fees. That being said, I have used the CS card for past dealings with this Israeli travel agent, and my statement those charges have showed up as being in dollars. No shekels, no conversion rate. With that being the case, would it be safe to asswhcih me that I would not incur forex fees on AMEX for this Israeli travel agent? Thanks
I just bought something on eBay which was priced in AUD and I believe that paypal does the conversion (+ a fee?) I also got charged by AMEx a FOREX fee,

Offline elikay

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 06, 2011, 08:53:17 PM »
UPDATE: I actually just checked the transaction details on Americanexpress.com and it seems like it was charged in AUD.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 06, 2011, 09:03:23 PM »
I just bought something on eBay which was priced in AUD and I believe that paypal does the conversion (+ a fee?) I also got charged by AMEx a FOREX fee,

UPDATE: I actually just checked the transaction details on Americanexpress.com and it seems like it was charged in AUD.

Yes, we know AMEX charges a forex fee...

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 07, 2011, 01:14:59 AM »

eBay.au or eBay.com? Didn't paypal (during checkout) give you a total in USD?

Yes, we know AMEX charges a forex fee...

Depends on the card, no Forex fee on the Amex Plat.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 07, 2011, 03:43:39 PM »
Depends on the card, no Forex fee on the Amex Plat.

So do we know what the odds of AMEX charging me a forex fee are for that israeli travel agent?

Offline Aben

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 07, 2011, 04:42:18 PM »
Yes, Charles Schwab does not have forex fees. That being said, I have used the CS card for past dealings with this Israeli travel agent, and my statement those charges have showed up as being in dollars. No shekels, no conversion rate. With that being the case, would it be safe to assume that I would not incur forex fees on AMEX for this Israeli travel agent? Thanks
Why dont you ask the travel agent if they will be putting the charges throuh in dollars or shekel?
If they put them through in dollars then  you should be ok.