Topic Wiki

Kashrus
Henche's comments do not imply anything about kashrus status.  Boston is out of town.

Minyanim
This link has all the minyanim, except the downtown mincha. http://yibrookline.org/wp/community-minyanim/

RESTAURANTS

Name                            Phone                   Address                             Price   Dairy/Meat/Parve             TR/Not To Be Missed                                                                                                             Hashgacha
Cafe Eilat617-277-7770406 Harvard St, Brookline$$$D   Pizza$30 pizza pie; "Infernal Pizza" KVH
Cold Press617-487-8948 326 Harvard St, Brookline $$$Hippies, paninis, saladsKVH
JP Licks
Kupels617-566-9528 421 Harvard St, Brookline $$$P   Bakery KVH
Milk Street617-542-3663 50 Milk St, Boston $$$Hot Pastrami Sandwich on Ciabbata
Rami’s617-738-3577 324 Harvard St, Brookline $$$M   IsraeliWish this place could be in NY KVH
Rosenfeld’s Bagels617-527-8080 1280 Centre St, Newton $$$DCLOSED MONDAYS AND TUESDAYS KVH
Kosher Wok (formerly Ta'am China)617-264-7274 423 Harvard St, Brookline $$$M   Chinesezow: "very good food; service sometimes poor; pu pu platter 7/10; General Gao Chicken 9/10.
Emkay
Rabbi Hammoui

Link to google map of all ostensibly kosher food in Massachusetts (check individual hashgachos-includes some non orthodox ones):
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=15qRYeWPCbqv6BkdeObFYiuRXOsSfgW18&ll=42.126221574551906%2C-71.26360220425265&z=7

TR's
Hvaces42, jj1000, skyguy918, Dan, Dan, JayR, zow, zow, Davidmal, SrulyP
CGR

Places to stay

Henche
Impossible

A complete map of shuls, eruvin, mikva'os, food, and hotels (near shuls) in the greater Boston area (and beyond)
« Last edited by WAM on December 26, 2022, 10:55:02 PM »

Author Topic: Boston Master Thread  (Read 228352 times)

Offline rileywiles23

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Re: Boston Master Thread
« Reply #420 on: July 29, 2016, 04:14:05 PM »

Wiki says to get hot pastrami on ciabbatta. I'd get it with avacado, chipotle mayo, cole slaw, and pickled onions.
+1 I listened to your suggestion and It was awesome.

Life is as good as you make it...

Offline zow

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: July 31, 2016, 02:26:49 PM »
  Classic!!!
haha thanks

is there another place you like better for dairy.
Nothing better than Milk Street. It is a great place. Lots of variety. Pleasant place to sit. Outside tables if the weather cooperates. 

Offline Emkay

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: July 31, 2016, 03:24:27 PM »
Any of the meat places open past 10?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #423 on: July 31, 2016, 03:31:57 PM »
Lol
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Emkay

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: July 31, 2016, 03:40:22 PM »
Lol
Whats the joke?
Its not like that close at 6.

Offline davidmal

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 239
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: July 31, 2016, 09:53:19 PM »
-DMC
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it ~Ferris Bueller"

Offline JayR

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: August 01, 2016, 01:42:41 AM »
Any of the meat places open past 10?

Probably not. Best chance is at Jerusalem Pita; they seem to stay open until everyone leaves. I was there till around 9ish a few weeks ago.

The entire Boston shuts down early, which sometimes can be annoying. Last call is 2am.
You can modify your original post. The modify button is right next to the quote button.

Offline JayR

• View Profile
« Reply #427 on: August 01, 2016, 01:47:21 AM »
Aloft Seaport Boston vs Westin Seaport Boston
or neither
which do i Pick at 12,000 SPG a night?
Ambiance and Lobby Aloft Win
Room and Bed Westin for the Win
Breakfast and Lounge as a Platinum member Westin takes win
Drinks at Bar Aloft Wins

Down the block from each other

Stay at the W for 20k and enjoy a beautiful suite and breakfast courtesy of your diamond status. The lobby has a lovely and lively bar with lots of people walking in till midnight.
You can modify your original post. The modify button is right next to the quote button.

Offline davidmal

• View Profile
« Reply #428 on: August 01, 2016, 11:18:26 AM »
(repost) Anyone on the flight tomorrow morning? EWR BOS 8:16am?
-DMC
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it ~Ferris Bueller"

Offline skyguy918

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: August 01, 2016, 12:30:06 PM »
anyone ever been to either Westin Seaport Boston or Aloft Seaport Boston?
Stay at the W for 20k and enjoy a beautiful suite and breakfast courtesy of your diamond status. The lobby has a lovely and lively bar with lots of people walking in till midnight.
Now that someone responded to this again I figure I'll jump back in with a little more info. Sounds like your original question was which of the Cat 5 - 12k/night SPG hotels you should stay in. So I'm assuming the aformentioned W (and also the Liberty) is off the table at Cat 6 - 20k/night. I would still suggest at least bumping up one notch to the Sheraton at 16k/night. It's also a category 5, but I don't really know how they determine when it's 16k and when it's 12k. However, the difference in convenience of location can't be understated.

The 3 hotels at 12k are way out of the way - renting a car would be a very expensive proposition, so proximity to attractions and public transportation is very important. The Sheraton (and really any of the hotels in the Copley Square/Convention Center area) is perfectly situated. It's walking distance to Fenway, short rides via the T to the Sam Adams brewery, minyan and kosher food in Brookline, Milk St in the Financial district, and much more.

Offline JayR

• View Profile
« Reply #430 on: August 01, 2016, 03:03:27 PM »
ETA: Platinum Status*

Now that someone responded to this again I figure I'll jump back in with a little more info. Sounds like your original question was which of the Cat 5 - 12k/night SPG hotels you should stay in. So I'm assuming the aformentioned W (and also the Liberty) is off the table at Cat 6 - 20k/night. I would still suggest at least bumping up one notch to the Sheraton at 16k/night. It's also a category 5, but I don't really know how they determine when it's 16k and when it's 12k. However, the difference in convenience of location can't be understated.

The 3 hotels at 12k are way out of the way - renting a car would be a very expensive proposition, so proximity to attractions and public transportation is very important. The Sheraton (and really any of the hotels in the Copley Square/Convention Center area) is perfectly situated. It's walking distance to Fenway, short rides via the T to the Sam Adams brewery, minyan and kosher food in Brookline, Milk St in the Financial district, and much more.
The W is located on Tremont st which is a great location too. But, like you said, the Sheraton is better value.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 03:07:46 PM by JayR »

Offline davidmal

• View Profile
Boston Master Thread
« Reply #431 on: August 02, 2016, 12:03:24 AM »
So here's what I got planned for today

*Boston*

Check in Hotel
Freedom Trail
Milk St (dairy...and meat takeout[hot pastrami on ciabbatta. avacado, chipotle mayo, cole slaw, and pickled onions. ])

Harpoon Beer Tour (Leaves on the Hour last one at 6pm)(Samuel Adams tour is very far)
Castle Island

Coffee in courtyard of Boston Public Library
Courtyard Cafe (Before 330pm)
Map Room (Before 5pm)

Duck Tours
80mins

Newbury Street (Shops)

Taam China or Rubins....
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 12:13:07 AM by davidmal »
-DMC

Offline davidmal

• View Profile
« Reply #432 on: August 02, 2016, 12:12:14 AM »

Thanks
-DMC

Offline davidmal

• View Profile
« Reply #433 on: August 02, 2016, 12:12:39 AM »
ETA: Platinum Status*
The W is located on Tremont st which is a great location too. But, like you said, the Sheraton is better value.
Thanks
-DMC

Offline yoshapman

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: August 02, 2016, 12:31:02 AM »

*Boston*

Check in Hotel
Freedom Trail
Milk St (dairy...and meat takeout[hot pastrami on ciabbatta. avacado, chipotle mayo, cole slaw, and pickled onions. ])

Harpoon Beer Tour (Leaves on the Hour last one at 6pm)(Samuel Adams tour is very far)
Castle Island

Map Room (Before 5pm)

Duck Tours
80mins

Newbury Street (Shops)

Taam China or Rubins....

Just FYI, Sam Adams tour is 17 minutes from Milk St. via train. Not sure I'd classify that as "very far"

Offline gubevo18

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #435 on: August 02, 2016, 08:50:36 AM »

*Boston*

Check in Hotel
Freedom Trail

Castle Island

Map Room (Before 5pm)

Duck Tours
80mins

Newbury Street (Shops)

Taam China or Rubins....
not to spoil the fun or anything and not sure if you care or not. But harpoon brewery is one of  the few breweries that are on the cRc's NOT recommended lost.

Offline zow

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: August 02, 2016, 09:15:12 AM »

*Boston*

Check in Hotel
Freedom Trail

Castle Island

Map Room (Before 5pm)

Duck Tours
80mins

Newbury Street (Shops)

Taam China or Rubins....

Welcome!
Itinerary sounds good.
IIRC, Tuesday is the day that there is a farmers' market/street vendor fair outside the BPL in Copley Square. We didn't avail ourselves of it a few weeks ago, but if you have an hour, might be fun to check out; it's not anything Boston-specific, though.

Hope the weather is good for your Castle Island visit.

Which hotel did you settle on?

Offline henche

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: August 02, 2016, 10:57:16 AM »
not to spoil the fun or anything and not sure if you care or not. But harpoon brewery is one of  the few breweries that are on the cRc's NOT recommended lost.

Only makes it taste better for me.  The CRC "list" appears to be any craft brewery they've heard of that doesn't have a hechsher. They've heard of very few. 

I'm not ready to stop drinking all craft brews without some very good justification.  And after the way the CRC embarassed itself over starbucks, I doubt that's coming.

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #438 on: August 02, 2016, 11:22:38 AM »
Only makes it taste better for me.  The CRC "list" appears to be any craft brewery they've heard of that doesn't have a hechsher. They've heard of very few. 

I'm not ready to stop drinking all craft brews without some very good justification.  And after the way the CRC embarassed itself over starbucks, I doubt that's coming.
The list is not particularly relevant, they say all craft beer needs a hechsher. So we have a reputable kashrus agency stating that craft beer needs a hechsher, and we have henche stating that it doesn't. Care to explain your logic?

Shouldn't have been to hard for you to find the CRC's 'justification' if you cared.
Quote from: http://www.crcweb.org/kosher_articles/Beer.php
Small breweries, also known as "craft" or "artisan" breweries, experiment with all sorts of flavorings. Wishing to be unique, they may even add distinctive ingredients before the fermenting stage. Although this seems to be counter-intuitive, because oyster and lobster do not ferment, this creates the exact distinctiveness they crave. The unsuspecting consumer does not realize the absurdity of the additions, thinking only that this is something special, something worth trying.
The main concerns appear to be in microbreweries due to their non-kosher flavorings. As explained, this applies to both the flavored and the non-flavored products. It is sometimes difficult to verify what is classified as a microbrewery as opposed to a large company, but the general protocol is to ascertain the product's market: a beer which is only available in a local region is likely a microbrewery.

Offline henche

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: August 02, 2016, 12:12:06 PM »
The list is not particularly relevant, they say all craft beer needs a hechsher. So we have a reputable kashrus agency stating that craft beer needs a hechsher, and we have henche stating that it doesn't. Care to explain your logic?

Shouldn't have been to hard for you to find the CRC's 'justification' if you cared.

I only buy unflavored ones. I don't see any explanation there for why it would be problematic.

I don't take CRC chumros on faith anymore, after they made fools of themselves about starbucks and lied to us, firs t saying it was assur, and then putting out an explanation that made no sense, and then finally putting out a full explanation which included in footnotes that it was really just a chumrah that they made up with no basis.