Topic Wiki

Kashrus
Henche's comments do not imply anything about kashrus status.  Boston is out of town.

Minyanim
This link has all the minyanim, except the downtown mincha. http://yibrookline.org/wp/community-minyanim/

RESTAURANTS

Name                            Phone                   Address                             Price   Dairy/Meat/Parve             TR/Not To Be Missed                                                                                                             Hashgacha
Cafe Eilat617-277-7770406 Harvard St, Brookline$$$D   Pizza$30 pizza pie; "Infernal Pizza" KVH
Cold Press617-487-8948 326 Harvard St, Brookline $$$Hippies, paninis, saladsKVH
JP Licks
Kupels617-566-9528 421 Harvard St, Brookline $$$P   Bakery KVH
Milk Street617-542-3663 50 Milk St, Boston $$$Hot Pastrami Sandwich on Ciabbata
Rami’s617-738-3577 324 Harvard St, Brookline $$$M   IsraeliWish this place could be in NY KVH
Rosenfeld’s Bagels617-527-8080 1280 Centre St, Newton $$$DCLOSED MONDAYS AND TUESDAYS KVH
Kosher Wok (formerly Ta'am China)617-264-7274 423 Harvard St, Brookline $$$M   Chinesezow: "very good food; service sometimes poor; pu pu platter 7/10; General Gao Chicken 9/10.
Emkay
Rabbi Hammoui

Link to google map of all ostensibly kosher food in Massachusetts (check individual hashgachos-includes some non orthodox ones):
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=15qRYeWPCbqv6BkdeObFYiuRXOsSfgW18&ll=42.126221574551906%2C-71.26360220425265&z=7

TR's
Hvaces42, jj1000, skyguy918, Dan, Dan, JayR, zow, zow, Davidmal, SrulyP
CGR

Places to stay

Henche
Impossible

A complete map of shuls, eruvin, mikva'os, food, and hotels (near shuls) in the greater Boston area (and beyond)
« Last edited by WAM on December 26, 2022, 10:55:02 PM »

Author Topic: Boston Master Thread  (Read 228312 times)

Offline skyguy918

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Boston Master Thread
« Reply #460 on: August 02, 2016, 10:26:02 PM »
How you like weather now?
On a duck your now

Really beautiful
Which tour?
Don't think I ever posted any of my Boston pics. Here's a link to the pics I snapped from the duck boat (this was BDT, leaving from the aquarium):
https://goo.gl/photos/31Ufb4wdqv7TEVDZ6

Nothing too amazing photography-wise, that's for sure. But you can see just how nice the ride is when the weather cooperates.

Offline knowitall

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: August 02, 2016, 11:27:17 PM »
Protip: when going to logan, use lyft instead of uber. Uber has a 9 dollar airport surcharge at logan.
How can I figure out which airports uber adds a surcharge to?

Offline Josef.koney

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: August 03, 2016, 01:38:28 PM »
Its been muttar forever. If you want to say its assur, you need to come with a ch'shash.

And yes, the CRC has no credibility in saying things need a hechsher.
Star k also says it's a problem.

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #463 on: August 03, 2016, 03:24:20 PM »
Star k also says it's a problem.

Neither does. Both have highly hedged language saying it could be maybe it is a problem.

I'm ok with them saying its not good enough to give a hashgacha to, or to make yourself l'chatchila, but its muttar l'chatchila to buy from a nochri.

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #464 on: August 03, 2016, 03:54:10 PM »
Neither does. Both have highly hedged language saying it could be maybe it is a problem.

I'm ok with them saying its not good enough to give a hashgacha to, or to make yourself l'chatchila, but its muttar l'chatchila to buy from a nochri.
Source?

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #465 on: August 03, 2016, 06:22:20 PM »

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #466 on: August 03, 2016, 06:33:32 PM »
You tell me the issur.
I can tell you why it might be assur. If they produce and process their unflavored beers in the same equipment as any non-kosher beer.

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #467 on: August 03, 2016, 07:22:04 PM »
I can tell you why it might be assur. If they produce and process their unflavored beers in the same equipment as any non-kosher beer.

The non kosher beer isn't actually non kosher-its just a chshash.
The vats are huge, and even though most keilim don't hold 60 times kneged their walls, these probably do.  Even at a small brewpub, the vats are still many times larger than a kitchen pot.
Most of the beer they sell wasn't made within 24 hours of a nonkosher batch.
It doesn't actually taste treif. We know that through tasting by an expert, b'mesiach l'fi tumo, because there's a guy whose job it is to make sure it all tastes correct, and if it tasted different based on what was made before, they'd fix that. Beer is not potato chips--people are experts in tasting it and knowing if it tastes different.

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #468 on: August 03, 2016, 07:24:04 PM »
The vats are huge, and even though most keilim don't hold 60 times kneged their walls, these probably do.  Even at a small brewpub, the vats are still many times larger than a kitchen pot.
It doesn't actually taste treif. We know that through tasting by an expert, b'mesiach l'fi tumo, because there's a guy whose job it is to make sure it all tastes correct, and if it tasted different based on what was made before, they'd fix that. Beer is not potato chips--people are experts in tasting it and knowing if it tastes different.

Every single one of your points is directly addressed. So I know you didn't read any of either hechsher's articles. I'm not gonna waste my time repeating if you don't care.

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #469 on: August 03, 2016, 07:28:20 PM »
Let me ask you this. Which hechsher would you trust if they told you it was a problem?

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #470 on: August 03, 2016, 07:28:28 PM »
Every single one of your points is directly addressed. So I know you didn't read any of either hechsher's articles. I'm not gonna waste my time repeating if you don't care.

I read them. Not all are.  But where do you think I got these points from? They're all correct, and the responses are incorrect.

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #471 on: August 03, 2016, 07:34:00 PM »
Let me ask you this. Which hechsher would you trust if they told you it was a problem?

None. Let them tell why, and I can ask my own rav. This is not something they are certifying, so why do I need to take their oopinion on faith?

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #472 on: August 03, 2016, 07:34:56 PM »
I read them. Not all are.  But where do you think I got these points from? They're all correct, and the responses are incorrect.
Lol, okay rabbi henche, whose job it is to research these types of places.

Online moko

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: August 03, 2016, 07:44:29 PM »

I'll address your points one by one
I'll preface by noting your previous point (a pet peeve of mine). Just because you can't certify a facility based on a number of lechatchilah reasons, (as per Igros Moshe "mechu'ar hadavar" by bitul) doesn't mean the public can't consume said item al pi shu"a. Case in point, advising the public not to consume cols brewed coffee since it may be kavush in assur keilim, is a blatant disregard of the pesak of the Sha"ch that even though we are machmir lechatchila, once it was kavush we are meikal as the sevara is lekula.
As per your points,
1. There are non kosher flavored beers- first hand knowledge
2. correct as far as I've seen regarding vats but there is other equipment that the beer is certainly not 60 x the kli
3. I'm unsure . I'll check into that
4a. It may be so but ashkenazim dont rely on te'imah (as per the rem"a ) even bedi'eved (except in certain instances- possibly a yisrael regarding teruma- see the shach)
4b. while you may think that the breweries care more about the correct taste than the potato chip manufacturer, the potato chip /cookie / ice cream manufacturer certainly cares very about the taste to the point that  most of them taste every batch
regardless we can't just decide to reky on te'ima.

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #474 on: August 03, 2016, 09:18:38 PM »
I'll address your points one by one
I'll preface by noting your previous point (a pet peeve of mine). Just because you can't certify a facility based on a number of lechatchilah reasons, (as per Igros Moshe "mechu'ar hadavar" by bitul) doesn't mean the public can't consume said item al pi shu"a. Case in point, advising the public not to consume cols brewed coffee since it may be kavush in assur keilim, is a blatant disregard of the pesak of the Sha"ch that even though we are machmir lechatchila, once it was kavush we are meikal as the sevara is lekula.
As per your points,
1. There are non kosher flavored beers- first hand knowledge
2. correct as far as I've seen regarding vats but there is other equipment that the beer is certainly not 60 x the kli
3. I'm unsure . I'll check into that
4a. It may be so but ashkenazim dont rely on te'imah (as per the rem"a ) even bedi'eved (except in certain instances- possibly a yisrael regarding teruma- see the shach)
4b. while you may think that the breweries care more about the correct taste than the potato chip manufacturer, the potato chip /cookie / ice cream manufacturer certainly cares very about the taste to the point that  most of them taste every batch
regardless we can't just decide to reky on te'ima.

Thanks.

1.  Agreed, but this was to say that we're starting with a safeik, since few breweries brew anything that is treif b'dieved.
2. Ok, fair enough.  Even so, its kashered by the next batch if you don't hold of chanan by shaar issurim. Even though ashkenazim are machmir b'dieved, its another tzad lhakel.
4a. Agreed, but its another tzad lhakel.
4b. Ok, so maybe I'd be ok with potato chips also.

Online moko

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: August 03, 2016, 09:23:43 PM »
Thanks.

1.  Agreed, but this was to say that we're starting with a safeik, since few breweries brew anything that is treif b'dieved.
2. Ok, fair enough.  Even so, its kashered by the next batch if you don't hold of chanan by shaar issurim. Even though ashkenazim are machmir b'dieved, its another tzad lhakel.
4a. Agreed, but its another tzad lhakel.
4b. Ok, so maybe I'd be ok with potato chips also.
I'll soon be available locally for all your kashrus questions  ;)

Offline davidmal

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 239
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: August 03, 2016, 10:44:03 PM »
Wow I feel terrible I started this whole thing!!! Im sorry i planned on going to the other brewery but no worries all I ended up at Samuel Adams Brewery! Only kosher labeled products! Haha
-DMC
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it ~Ferris Bueller"

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #477 on: August 04, 2016, 07:25:42 AM »
I'll soon be available locally for all your kashrus questions  ;)

Tell me more!

Offline Geshmak25

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: August 05, 2016, 12:14:05 AM »
PUTPAC = PITA

Offline zow

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile