Topic Wiki

Kashrus
Henche's comments do not imply anything about kashrus status.  Boston is out of town.

Minyanim
This link has all the minyanim, except the downtown mincha. http://yibrookline.org/wp/community-minyanim/

RESTAURANTS

Name                            Phone                   Address                             Price   Dairy/Meat/Parve             TR/Not To Be Missed                                                                                                             Hashgacha
Cafe Eilat617-277-7770406 Harvard St, Brookline$$$D   Pizza$30 pizza pie; "Infernal Pizza" KVH
Cold Press617-487-8948 326 Harvard St, Brookline $$$Hippies, paninis, saladsKVH
JP Licks
Kupels617-566-9528 421 Harvard St, Brookline $$$P   Bakery KVH
Milk Street617-542-3663 50 Milk St, Boston $$$Hot Pastrami Sandwich on Ciabbata
Rami’s617-738-3577 324 Harvard St, Brookline $$$M   IsraeliWish this place could be in NY KVH
Rosenfeld’s Bagels617-527-8080 1280 Centre St, Newton $$$DCLOSED MONDAYS AND TUESDAYS KVH
Kosher Wok (formerly Ta'am China)617-264-7274 423 Harvard St, Brookline $$$M   Chinesezow: "very good food; service sometimes poor; pu pu platter 7/10; General Gao Chicken 9/10.
Emkay
Rabbi Hammoui

Link to google map of all ostensibly kosher food in Massachusetts (check individual hashgachos-includes some non orthodox ones):
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=15qRYeWPCbqv6BkdeObFYiuRXOsSfgW18&ll=42.126221574551906%2C-71.26360220425265&z=7

TR's
Hvaces42, jj1000, skyguy918, Dan, Dan, JayR, zow, zow, Davidmal, SrulyP
CGR

Places to stay

Henche
Impossible

A complete map of shuls, eruvin, mikva'os, food, and hotels (near shuls) in the greater Boston area (and beyond)
« Last edited by WAM on December 26, 2022, 10:55:02 PM »

Author Topic: Boston Master Thread  (Read 228301 times)

Offline skyguy918

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Boston Master Thread
« Reply #560 on: January 15, 2017, 03:53:14 PM »
Thanks! any idea of a city on the east coast that would be for me?
Probably not too hard to find in FL. Outside of that though, just browsing SPG resorts, some options might be Charlotte (The Ballantyne), Savannah (Westin resorts in Savannah and nearby Hilton Head), and Myrtle Beach (Sheraton resort). None are probably too attractive in the winter though.

Offline mercaz1

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: January 23, 2017, 02:24:03 PM »
what is the cheapest hyatt/SPG suite hotel near the jewish area? near can be up to 20 mins away but I would obviously also like to be near the main city attractions?

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #562 on: January 23, 2017, 03:24:39 PM »
what is the cheapest hyatt/SPG suite hotel near the jewish area? near can be up to 20 mins away but I would obviously also like to be near the main city attractions?
Kinda depends on how you're planning on getting around.

For Hyatt, if you're gonna be taking public transportation (the sane choice), your best bet is the HR Boston (category 5). If you're planning on driving everywhere anyway, the HR Cambridge is close enough, and you'll save a bit (category 4).

With SPG, the best option is almost definitely the Sheraton Boston. It's probably an even better location that the HR Boston. There are a bunch of other category 5's, but the rest are either by the seaport or in Cambridge, which are not nearly as centrally located as the Sheraton Boston.

Offline mercaz1

• View Profile
« Reply #563 on: January 23, 2017, 03:27:31 PM »
Kinda depends on how you're planning on getting around.

For Hyatt, if you're gonna be taking public transportation (the sane choice), your best bet is the HR Boston (category 5). If you're planning on driving everywhere anyway, the HR Cambridge is close enough, and you'll save a bit (category 4).

With SPG, the best option is almost definitely the Sheraton Boston. It's probably an even better location that the HR Boston. There are a bunch of other category 5's, but the rest are either by the seaport or in Cambridge, which are not nearly as centrally located as the Sheraton Boston.

is it totally insane to drive around Boston? I'm bringing 3 kids and a stroller- how hard is the public transportation option? How far is it to the kosher food? Is parking that crazy in and around the attractions areas?

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #564 on: January 23, 2017, 03:50:00 PM »
is it totally insane to drive around Boston? I'm bringing 3 kids and a stroller- how hard is the public transportation option? How far is it to the kosher food? Is parking that crazy in and around the attractions areas?
It's not the driving that's the issue, it's the parking. All of these hotels charge an arm and a leg - though that's unavoidable if you're driving to Boston in the first place. And parking by shul/food is fine too - at worst you're talking about waiting a little for a metered spot. It's the attractions that are problematic. The areas where most of the attractions are have basically no street parking, and garages are expensive. Where do you plan to go specifically?

Yeah, it's pretty rough. What are you planning on doing? Maybe some of the locals can chime in regarding kids/stroller on the T.

Most of the kosher food is on Harvard St. If you're driving, it's maybe 10 minutes from HR Cambridge, 15 from Sheraton, and 20 from HR Boston. Assuming you're paying for parking by the hotel (whichever) with in and out privileges, it's probably worth driving, even if you can get there on the T. The same can't be said for attractions.

Offline henche

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: January 23, 2017, 03:59:28 PM »

Fine to drive.  Easier than brooklyn.

ETA: Parking downtown can cost money.

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #566 on: January 23, 2017, 04:00:51 PM »
Fine to drive.  Easier than brooklyn.

ETA: Parking downtown can cost money.
Let's put it this way. Which attractions would you not have to shell out serious money for parking?

Offline mercaz1

• View Profile
« Reply #567 on: January 23, 2017, 04:01:14 PM »
I dont have a plan as to the attractions. I was thinking about the Freedom Trail or at least parts of it, the Boston Tea party ship, Paul Revere house.

Any other suggestions.
I plan on being there for 2 full days so I dont know what else we have. I am travelling with an 8, 5 and 18 month old. The kids are generally good about touristy things but obviously have a limit. I dont need 24 hour filled days just maybe 2 or 3 things per day.

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #568 on: January 23, 2017, 04:09:21 PM »
Let's put it this way. Which attractions would you not have to shell out serious money for parking?

what are the attractions?  weekday or weekend?

Offline davidmal

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 239
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: January 23, 2017, 04:11:07 PM »
I dont have a plan as to the attractions. I was thinking about the Freedom Trail or at least parts of it, the Boston Tea party ship, Paul Revere house.

Any other suggestions.
I plan on being there for 2 full days so I dont know what else we have. I am travelling with an 8, 5 and 18 month old. The kids are generally good about touristy things but obviously have a limit. I dont need 24 hour filled days just maybe 2 or 3 things per day.
My TR to Boston for 2 Days.
-DMC
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it ~Ferris Bueller"

Offline mercaz1

• View Profile
« Reply #570 on: January 23, 2017, 04:16:44 PM »
I plan on being there Sunday, Monday and a little bit Tuesday.

I read your TR and it was great. My only concern is that you went in the summer and the weather is much worse in the winter. Will we be able to do outdoor activities?

Offline moko

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: January 23, 2017, 04:25:31 PM »

I read your TR and it was great. My only concern is that you went in the summer and the weather is much worse in the winter. Will we be able to do outdoor activities?
if your willing to walk a few blocks you should be able to find metered parking. You can download the app and pay from your phone but beware , that most metered spots are a 2 hour limit. Officially you need to move your car but most of the time if refill your meter/app it's fine. Worst case scenario it's a $25 ticket which is a lot cheaper than any parking you'll find downtown.
On Sunday morning street parking is free and you should be able to find a spot pretty easily. As far as Monday and Tuesday go, if you wait/circle a bit you should be able to find a meter spot.
I'm downtown quite a bit, specifically near many hotels and I rarely have an issue.

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #572 on: January 23, 2017, 04:40:17 PM »
if your willing to walk a few blocks you should be able to find metered parking. You can download the app and pay from your phone but beware , that most metered spots are a 2 hour limit. Officially you need to move your car but most of the time if refill your meter/app it's fine. Worst case scenario it's a $25 ticket which is a lot cheaper than any parking you'll find downtown.
On Sunday morning street parking is free and you should be able to find a spot pretty easily. As far as Monday and Tuesday go, if you wait/circle a bit you should be able to find a meter spot.
I'm downtown quite a bit, specifically near many hotels and I rarely have an issue.
I had a tough time parking nearly anywhere (also Sun-Tue, but in the summer). It added a ton of time, and varying amounts of money to each stop.

Had to park in a garage when we went to the aquarium/duck tour. Boston Common, we circled around 15 minutes to find metered parking. We did the Freedom Trail with a walking tour that started at the beginning - I had to drop my wife off, circle for more than 15 minutes, eventually deciding to just pay for a garage, and run to catch up with the tour several stops in. Fenway (non-game day) we found metered parking a few blocks away pretty quickly. USS Constitution, we found metered parking after a little less than 10 minutes. Only thing that had actual free and available parking that we did was Sam Adams Brewery.

Of course that's extremely anecdotal, and if other people are confident that it's not a problem, I won't argue.

Offline davidmal

• View Profile
« Reply #573 on: January 23, 2017, 04:50:53 PM »

I would highly suggest Uber while you are there
you might end up saving money as well as time!

and yes many of the outdoor activities are more difficult such as duck tours.... but everything else is doable in the winter.
-DMC
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it ~Ferris Bueller"

Offline moko

• View Profile
« Reply #574 on: January 23, 2017, 07:33:40 PM »
I had a tough time parking nearly anywhere (also Sun-Tue, but in the summer). It added a ton of time, and varying amounts of money to each stop.

Had to park in a garage when we went to the aquarium/duck tour. Boston Common, we circled around 15 minutes to find metered parking. We did the Freedom Trail with a walking tour that started at the beginning - I had to drop my wife off, circle for more than 15 minutes, eventually deciding to just pay for a garage, and run to catch up with the tour several stops in. Fenway (non-game day) we found metered parking a few blocks away pretty quickly. USS Constitution, we found metered parking after a little less than 10 minutes. Only thing that had actual free and available parking that we did was Sam Adams Brewery.

Of course that's extremely anecdotal, and if other people are confident that it's not a problem, I won't argue.
ahh. But if you would have taken the Duck your from the Museum of Science then you could have parked for free right behind the Royal Sonesta
I would highly suggest Uber while you are there
you might end up saving money as well as time!
I actually started taking Uber pool when I go to my office (Brighton- Fenway) and it actually only costs about as much as the T + it's a bit quicker and door to door.
and yes many of the outdoor activities are more difficult such as duck tours.... but everything else is doable in the winter.
with the mild winter this year , it's pretty much spring

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #575 on: January 23, 2017, 07:44:36 PM »
ahh. But if you would have taken the Duck your from the Museum of Science then you could have parked for free right behind the Royal Sonesta I actually started taking Uber pool when I go to my office (Brighton- Fenway) and it actually only costs about as much as the T + it's a bit quicker and door to door.with the mild winter this year , it's pretty much spring
I went to the aquarium first though, so I had to pay for the garage regardless, and it made sense to take the duck tour from their at that point.

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #576 on: January 24, 2017, 12:44:30 AM »
I actually started taking Uber pool when I go to my office (Brighton- Fenway) and it actually only costs about as much as the T + it's a bit quicker and door to door.

how often do you share the ride?

Offline moko

• View Profile
« Reply #577 on: January 24, 2017, 05:53:39 AM »
how often do you share the ride?
usually shared but sometimes it's just me

Offline moko

• View Profile
« Reply #578 on: January 24, 2017, 11:59:37 AM »
 Pure Cold Press is now Cholov Yisrael

Offline davidmal

• View Profile
« Reply #579 on: January 24, 2017, 12:25:48 PM »
I did Uber Pool a lot in boston I think each time we had someone

1 time i recall on a long ride i think we picked up someone dropped them
picked someone else up as well then we got dropped/
-DMC