Topic Wiki

Kashrus
Henche's comments do not imply anything about kashrus status.  Boston is out of town.

Minyanim
This link has all the minyanim, except the downtown mincha. http://yibrookline.org/wp/community-minyanim/

RESTAURANTS

Name                            Phone                   Address                             Price   Dairy/Meat/Parve             TR/Not To Be Missed                                                                                                             Hashgacha
Cafe Eilat617-277-7770406 Harvard St, Brookline$$$D   Pizza$30 pizza pie; "Infernal Pizza" KVH
Cold Press617-487-8948 326 Harvard St, Brookline $$$Hippies, paninis, saladsKVH
JP Licks
Kupels617-566-9528 421 Harvard St, Brookline $$$P   Bakery KVH
Milk Street617-542-3663 50 Milk St, Boston $$$Hot Pastrami Sandwich on Ciabbata
Rami’s617-738-3577 324 Harvard St, Brookline $$$M   IsraeliWish this place could be in NY KVH
Rosenfeld’s Bagels617-527-8080 1280 Centre St, Newton $$$DCLOSED MONDAYS AND TUESDAYS KVH
Kosher Wok (formerly Ta'am China)617-264-7274 423 Harvard St, Brookline $$$M   Chinesezow: "very good food; service sometimes poor; pu pu platter 7/10; General Gao Chicken 9/10.
Emkay
Rabbi Hammoui

Link to google map of all ostensibly kosher food in Massachusetts (check individual hashgachos-includes some non orthodox ones):
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=15qRYeWPCbqv6BkdeObFYiuRXOsSfgW18&ll=42.126221574551906%2C-71.26360220425265&z=7

TR's
Hvaces42, jj1000, skyguy918, Dan, Dan, JayR, zow, zow, Davidmal, SrulyP
CGR

Places to stay

Henche
Impossible

A complete map of shuls, eruvin, mikva'os, food, and hotels (near shuls) in the greater Boston area (and beyond)
« Last edited by WAM on December 26, 2022, 10:55:02 PM »

Author Topic: Boston Master Thread  (Read 227987 times)

Offline davidmal

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 239
    • View Profile
Re: Boston Master Thread
« Reply #480 on: August 05, 2016, 10:42:48 AM »
Wow Rubins is closing, effective tomorrow

https://www.facebook.com/Rubins-Kosher-Restaurant-Catering-117865031572388/?fref=nf
I feel terrible if only they would have taken us that night they would still be open.
-DMC
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it ~Ferris Bueller"

Offline henche

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: August 05, 2016, 11:30:36 AM »

Offline whacked1

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: August 06, 2016, 11:52:14 PM »
I got two Charlie cards that were never used. Anyone Boston folk interested in them for $15 (2 $11 cards)?

Offline henche

• View Profile

Offline bznt

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: August 07, 2016, 07:55:43 AM »
So here's what I got planned for today

*Boston*

Check in Hotel
Freedom Trail
Milk St (dairy...and meat takeout[hot pastrami on ciabbatta. avacado, chipotle mayo, cole slaw, and pickled onions. ])

Harpoon Beer Tour (Leaves on the Hour last one at 6pm)(Samuel Adams tour is very far)
Castle Island

Coffee in courtyard of Boston Public Library
Courtyard Cafe (Before 330pm)
Map Room (Before 5pm)

Duck Tours
80mins

Newbury Street (Shops)

Taam China or Rubins....
How did you get around ? Car rental, uber or public transportation?

Offline davidmal

• View Profile
« Reply #485 on: August 07, 2016, 07:56:41 AM »
How did you get around ? Car rental, uber or public transportation?
Read my TR
Über
-DMC
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it ~Ferris Bueller"

Offline ben89

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 142
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: August 10, 2016, 03:09:21 PM »
could somebody update the wiki with spg hotels to stay in near the main parts of boston or you could reply here. im looking to spend either 7,000 or 10,000 per night. thanks

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #487 on: August 10, 2016, 04:08:42 PM »
could somebody update the wiki with spg hotels to stay in near the main parts of boston or you could reply here. im looking to spend either 7,000 or 10,000 per night. thanks
Doesn't exist. The 2 in Cambridge and the 3 in South Boston (none of which are particularly centrally located) are level 5's. The W, the Liberty, and Westin Copley Place are all better locations, but level 5. Your best bet is the Sheraton, which is very well situated, and is a level 5. The next week and a half seems to be 16k/night, but the last 2 weeks in August show 12k/night for the nights that are available.

Offline ben89

• View Profile
« Reply #488 on: August 10, 2016, 10:05:10 PM »
Doesn't exist. The 2 in Cambridge and the 3 in South Boston (none of which are particularly centrally located) are level 5's. The W, the Liberty, and Westin Copley Place are all better locations, but level 5. Your best bet is the Sheraton, which is very well situated, and is a level 5. The next week and a half seems to be 16k/night, but the last 2 weeks in August show 12k/night for the nights that are available.
how about near the airport?

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #489 on: August 10, 2016, 10:28:11 PM »
how about near the airport?
That's it for SPG. The next nearest SPG after the ones I listed is actually called an airport hotel, but it's farther from the airport than all the rest, in the opposite direction. If you're flying in, don't bother, as that would mean the big expense of renting a car (and then dealing with parking when you go into Boston), or long bus rides. Plus, it's a category 4, so you're only saving 2k over the cheaper dates with the Sheraton.

ETA: Just so you know, I'm not like a Boston native or anything. I'm getting this info by simply looking at the SPG map. Do you need a link to it?

Offline Hjay

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: August 10, 2016, 11:58:07 PM »
Protip: when going to logan, use lyft instead of uber. Uber has a 9 dollar airport surcharge at logan.
Quote from @davidmal's tr
From the airport we decided to avoid car rental or uber and just took a silver line for the bus to the first S. Station which was only a five-minute walk from our hotel. But in retrospect we should have just Lyft instead (Not Uber to avoid airport fee. HT @Henche).

I think @henche meant going to the airport as it actually seems from his words & because I tried using lyft from the airport today & it said lyft is not available at BOS yet.
Going back to the airport I used uber anyway cuz the price was $18 & I had 50% off & lyft wasn't giving me a fare estimate. (Driver didn't listen to google maps doubled the amount of time the ride was supposed to be, I complained after got a $5 credit.)

Cold Press is awesome wish I found it before I ate elsewhere. It's owned by Rami's son met both of them really nice guys. Wish them lots of luck.

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #491 on: August 11, 2016, 08:01:03 AM »
From the airport we decided to avoid car rental or uber and just took a silver line for the bus to the first S. Station which was only a five-minute walk from our hotel. But in retrospect we should have just Lyft instead (Not Uber to avoid airport fee. HT @Henche).

I think @henche meant going to the airport as it actually seems from his words & because I tried using lyft from the airport today & it said lyft is not available at BOS yet.
Going back to the airport I used uber anyway cuz the price was $18 & I had 50% off & lyft wasn't giving me a fare estimate. (Driver didn't listen to google maps doubled the amount of time the ride was supposed to be, I complained after got a $5 credit.)

Cold Press is awesome wish I found it before I ate elsewhere. It's owned by Rami's son met both of them really nice guys. Wish them lots of luck.

I've been charged the airport fee TO the airport, by uber.  My brother separately had a bad experience with uber FROM the airport, where they switched him to uber black without telling him--they said only uber black is allowed at the airport.

Offline davidmal

• View Profile
« Reply #492 on: August 11, 2016, 05:55:12 PM »
I've been charged the airport fee TO the airport, by uber.  My brother separately had a bad experience with uber FROM the airport, where they switched him to uber black without telling him--they said only uber black is allowed at the airport.
TRUE!~
-DMC

Offline davidmal

• View Profile
« Reply #493 on: August 11, 2016, 05:55:48 PM »

take what you want from it.....lol
-DMC

Offline ben89

• View Profile
« Reply #494 on: August 15, 2016, 10:43:03 PM »
I'm going to Boston for two days next week with dw(for jetblue points match obviously).Could anyone please help with a decent hotel to stay in. I could use points like UR, MR, thankyou or spg for hotel. I'm coming in at 9pm so maybe close to the airport is better, I'm not sure. How far is the airport from the main part like where shul is? I have never been there so like i need alef bais. Should I rent a car? From who? Or is it better to go on buses or taxis? Also any good places I should go to that I wouldn't want to miss.

Offline davidmal

• View Profile
« Reply #495 on: August 16, 2016, 12:21:55 AM »
I'm going to Boston for two days next week with dw(for jetblue points match obviously).Could anyone please help with a decent hotel to stay in. I could use points like UR, MR, thankyou or spg for hotel. I'm coming in at 9pm so maybe close to the airport is better, I'm not sure. How far is the airport from the main part like where shul is? I have never been there so like i need alef bais. Should I rent a car? From who? Or is it better to go on buses or taxis? Also any good places I should go to that I wouldn't want to miss.
Ben take a look at my recent TR trip review I covered a lot

Ps. Get ready to drink
-DMC

Offline ben89

• View Profile
« Reply #496 on: August 16, 2016, 12:37:40 PM »
did anyone ever try the Le Meridien Cambridge hotel? is it far away from brookline area? im having trouble finding a decent hotel not too expensive to stay in next week for two nights. thanks

Offline davidmal

• View Profile
« Reply #497 on: August 16, 2016, 12:41:49 PM »
did anyone ever try the Le Meridien Cambridge hotel? is it far away from brookline area? im having trouble finding a decent hotel not too expensive to stay in next week for two nights. thanks
Wow far from everything
-DMC

Offline ben89

• View Profile
« Reply #498 on: August 16, 2016, 12:47:47 PM »
Wow far from everything
aloft is not available for when im going. help! any suggestions. my spg points depleted because of the jetblue promo so im dealing with 20k...

Offline davidmal

• View Profile
« Reply #499 on: August 16, 2016, 02:37:59 PM »
The Sheraton Boston 6,000 + 110 per night or 16k per night...
The Westin Coplay 20k per night

other wise Aloft Westin or Element are on the same block near airport
not sure which is better area to be in in terms of getting in and out to places Seaport or Cambridge
but advantage Seaport that its on route and near your departure and arrival airport
-DMC