Topic Wiki

I think there is a big misunderstanding what locked/unlocked means.

All phones that are made are always assigned to a carrier (yes even the ones that say "Factory GSM Unlocked") to prove that just look up the model of the phone and you will see what carrier it was assigned to.

In order for a phone to have service the company has to know that you want service on this phone.

In the past company's like Sprint and Verizon did not work with a sim card they worked with the id of the phone to recognize what kind of phone / what carrier it was assigned to. This is know as CDMA. Yet company's like att/t-mobile did that too but the service was applied by using a sim.

Once LTE came out for what ever reason all company switched to the "Sim technology". There is still one thing that did not change, each carrier has their assigned bands that they have from the FCC that they are allowed to use.

Being that there are standard bands that every one uses (for international or the like) these are included in every phone. So.... All verizon phones will work on att, BUT will only have the bands for slower internet since those are standard bands.

Now verizon's LTE band is NOT a standard nor is their CDMA a standard so an att or a t-mobile phone will NOT be able to accept a Verizon sim.

Now lets go to sprint phones,

All other company's when they had the phones made for them all they do is have it customized for its own use (Read: their own LTE bands). Sprint on the other hand not only did they have them customize it they put a lock in the software blocking all local USA bands (Verizon ATT and Tmobile).

They even go a step farther and they still do the old way of checking the device ID to see if its a sprint phone or not.

Hope this explains a few things feel free to ask any questions.

Att has an easy way to ask for an unlock https://att.com/deviceunlock

How to check a Sprint iPhone (only): You cannot check it with an american sim you must put in a foreign sim. You DO NOT have to backup and restore as sprint sends in the email! Connect to wifi before starting this procedure.

When you put the sim in one of 3 things will happen.
1. It will say no service in the top right corner = Unlocked
2. It will do a soft restart and ask you for your apple id password = Almost unlocked, after putting in the password its unlocked
3. It will do a soft restart and say "Sim not valid" = Phone is locked

If you got number 2. and you dont know the password just put in your old sim and all will return. When you find out the password repeat the steps.

Willmyphonework.net Can check if the phone will work
« Last edited by yakov116 on June 29, 2016, 01:34:42 PM »

Author Topic: cell phone unlocking  (Read 159298 times)

Offline shwarmabob

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: cell phone unlocking
« Reply #580 on: July 31, 2018, 02:38:20 PM »
I'm helping a relative who prefers purchased a Samsung T379 Gravity TXT dumb phone for service on a Canadian carrier. The listing said it was unlocked, but the buyer says it's locked. I'm trying to figure out if is in fact locked to T-mobile. I checked the IMEI number on IMEI.info, and on Swappa but they don't seem to say whether it is unlocked. Any suggestions?
place a SIM from a different carrier into the phone, that will tell you if it's locked

Offline Thingywingy

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: July 31, 2018, 07:24:02 PM »
place a SIM from a different carrier into the phone, that will tell you if it's locked
I don't have. Relative is in Canada.
Seperately, are ATT prepaid phones unlocked? My mom uses ZTE Maven 3 - AT&T PREPAID on Chatr in Canada. I'm guessing the fact she uses it on Chatr means it's unlocked...?
I am sometimes accused of overthinking things. I am still mulling over whether that accusation has merit.

Offline myi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 356
    • View Profile
  • Programs: 2Many2List!
« Reply #582 on: August 01, 2018, 12:33:52 AM »
I don't have. Relative is in Canada.
Seperately, are ATT prepaid phones unlocked? My mom uses ZTE Maven 3 - AT&T PREPAID on Chatr in Canada. I'm guessing the fact she uses it on Chatr means it's unlocked...?
Sometimes the phone will work on another carrier even when not unlocked but then sometimes it wont.

I'm helping a relative who prefers purchased a Samsung T379 Gravity TXT dumb phone for service on a Canadian carrier. The listing said it was unlocked, but the buyer says it's locked. I'm trying to figure out if is in fact locked to T-mobile. I checked the IMEI number on IMEI.info, and on Swappa but they don't seem to say whether it is unlocked. Any suggestions?
T-Mobile phones are extremely easy to unlock if you know someone who has a tmobile plan, all you have to do is get another service sim and call tmobile and tell them your going to some place besides for Canada or say Canada and you need more data then what they are offering as they cap it at a certain amount of gig, so you want to use a Canadian sim while abroad and they will give you the unlock code.

Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline Berenstein Bear

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: August 20, 2018, 12:43:37 PM »
Verizon basic phone (4g flip) PREPAID- will that work with Red Pocket Mobile? https://www.walmart.com/ip/Verizon-Kyocera-Cadence-Prepaid-Cell-Phone-16GB-Black/229903939

on the box it says "in order to partially offset the subsidy Verizon ... this phone may only be used with Verizon Prepaid service for 1 yr/ until $50 in payments are received"

Does that mean I have to go through the trouble of manually unlocking it? Is that even possible? I'm not very familiar with unlocking "sugya", can anyone explain in laymen's terms if I'd need to/how I should for Red Pocket Mobile.
Thanks

Offline Berenstein Bear

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: August 21, 2018, 12:58:02 PM »
Verizon basic phone (4g flip) PREPAID- will that work with Red Pocket Mobile? https://www.walmart.com/ip/Verizon-Kyocera-Cadence-Prepaid-Cell-Phone-16GB-Black/229903939

on the box it says "in order to partially offset the subsidy Verizon ... this phone may only be used with Verizon Prepaid service for 1 yr/ until $50 in payments are received"

Does that mean I have to go through the trouble of manually unlocking it? Is that even possible? I'm not very familiar with unlocking "sugya", can anyone explain in laymen's terms if I'd need to/how I should for Red Pocket Mobile.
Thanks

EDIT: I'd really appreciate any help in this matter.
I called RPM and gave them the IMEI Number. They told me it was locked. Also, that even once it would be unlocked it would only work over gsm network. Can anyone shed light onto this? Thanks!

Offline Definitions

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #585 on: August 21, 2018, 01:27:36 PM »
EDIT: I'd really appreciate any help in this matter.
I called RPM and gave them the IMEI Number. They told me it was locked. Also, that even once it would be unlocked it would only work over gsm network. Can anyone shed light onto this? Thanks!
I don't know much about unlocking a prepaid Verizon phone. As far as I remember it's very hard to unlock them for use on other carriers. So I guess the only route is to pay the $50 on the account to be eligible to have it unlocked.

As far as when they said it will go through GSM. Maybe they meant that LTE is a GSM technology not a cdma technology so it will be using GSM networks. That doesn't mean it won't be going through Verizon.
My Tapatalk notifications don't always work.

Offline Berenstein Bear

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: August 21, 2018, 01:46:12 PM »
I don't know much about unlocking a prepaid Verizon phone. As far as I remember it's very hard to unlock them for use on other carriers. So I guess the only route is to pay the $50 on the account to be eligible to have it unlocked.

As far as when they said it will go through GSM. Maybe they meant that LTE is a GSM technology not a cdma technology so it will be using GSM networks. That doesn't mean it won't be going through Verizon.
Thanks a lot!

Offline nafnaf12

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: September 17, 2018, 06:33:35 AM »
Anyone know any stores that can unlock a Sprint S9 in Jerusalem ASAP?
A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor.

Offline yaakov

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: September 26, 2018, 05:46:47 PM »
 i have a verizon iphone 8 plus new in box. when i put in an international sim it says sim not valid as it has to be activated by the service provider anybody knows why this is happening if all verizon phones are unlocked

Offline cozmohoot

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: September 27, 2018, 11:27:14 AM »
i have a verizon iphone 8 plus new in box. when i put in an international sim it says sim not valid as it has to be activated by the service provider anybody knows why this is happening if all verizon phones are unlocked
Was it bought from Verizon recently? They may have changed their policy with some new phones

Offline shwarmabob

• View Profile
« Reply #590 on: September 27, 2018, 11:34:19 AM »
"Our 4G Phone-in-a-Box phones may only be used with Verizon Prepaid service for 1 year from original activation date or until payments in the amount specified on the back of the Phone-in-a-Box package are added to the Prepaid account. This is to partially offset the subsidy we provide to make our 4G Phone-in-the-Box Prepaid phones more affordable to customers.

Once either of the criteria above is satisfied, you can dial *611 from your Verizon Wireless Prepaid phone or call 888.294.6804 and we will provide you with programming instructions so you can unlock your phone. If the user guide for your phone does not provide instructions to access the programming menu, we can help you with that as well."

See if it falls into this category

Offline ludmila

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hilton Diamond,Marriott Platinum,SPG Platinum.
« Reply #591 on: September 28, 2018, 04:44:00 PM »
Will T Mobile unlock iPhones once they are fully paid? They said when you are travelling, they will unlock the phone for 30 days up to 3 times per year, but the rep was not sure if the phone is fully paid whether it can be unblocked for good? Anyone experienced this? TIA
I was the Best,still the Best, and will always be the Best.
Pele Good,Maradona Better, George Best.

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #592 on: October 07, 2018, 11:42:24 PM »
Will T Mobile unlock iPhones once they are fully paid? They said when you are travelling, they will unlock the phone for 30 days up to 3 times per year, but the rep was not sure if the phone is fully paid whether it can be unblocked for good? Anyone experienced this? TIA
Not really familiar with the iPhones but I do have experience with the Samsung Galaxy's specifically the Galaxy S7 which I had multiple of them unlocked while abroad I had no problem unlocking them while I use the app to unlock them and if it didn't work with the app I would manually have it unlocked by calling up TMobile having no problems to have it unlocked permanently, don't see why you would go for a temporary unlock?
 And never knew there was a restriction on how many temporary unlocks you could have per year.
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline ludmila

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hilton Diamond,Marriott Platinum,SPG Platinum.
« Reply #593 on: October 08, 2018, 01:30:05 AM »
Not really familiar with the iPhones but I do have experience with the Samsung Galaxy's specifically the Galaxy S7 which I had multiple of them unlocked while abroad I had no problem unlocking them while I use the app to unlock them and if it didn't work with the app I would manually have it unlocked by calling up TMobile having no problems to have it unlocked permanently, don't see why you would go for a temporary unlock?
 And never knew there was a restriction on how many temporary unlocks you could have per year.
Thanks, the rep who gave me this information was from an Asian offshore center, I think what you said makes more sense.
I was the Best,still the Best, and will always be the Best.
Pele Good,Maradona Better, George Best.

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #594 on: October 08, 2018, 01:35:32 AM »
Thanks, the rep who gave me this information was from an Asian offshore center, I think what you said makes more sense.
Huca.
Many clueless tmobile reps out there.
Only call for service problem and related issues. Technical problems with the phone I tackle myself otherwise I will spent hours with clueless people.

Offline Thingywingy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: October 22, 2018, 02:57:57 PM »
Sorry for repost from other thread. Thought I would get more helpful information here.

I bought a used iPhone 6s A1633 on eBay, which is the ATT model and should be unlocked. When I insert the SIM, I get an error message that the SIM is not compatible with the phone. Apple told me that the phone is locked to Sprint. That seems strange to be because the phone could not have been purchased from Sprint as they would have sold the A1688. Sprint refused to talk to me since i am not the owner of the Sprint account. Does it make sense that Sprint would lock a phone that wasn't purchased from them? Any suggestion how I can solve this problem?

I did a search on www.imei.info and came up with following results. Would it show if it was locked by sprint?

IMEI : 354957070998193
Model : BYOSD I6S GRAY 64 BST SGL
Model Number: : I6SBTBY64GY1
BLACKLIST STATUS : CLEAN
ICCID : 89011201000294024607
ESN : 089399885500628761
LAST Activation Date : 2016-06-05
LAST Deactivation Date : 2016-06-06
Activated : YES

I am sometimes accused of overthinking things. I am still mulling over whether that accusation has merit.

Offline Hjay

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: October 22, 2018, 03:36:50 PM »
If I purchase a phone from at&t & cancel my service a month later will I have a problem getting it unlocked?

Offline mgarfin

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: October 25, 2018, 11:01:45 AM »

Offline Berenstein Bear

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: November 06, 2018, 06:47:51 PM »
Just saw the ad for DB Electronics "JPhone"- basically another kosher smartphone. It's exactly what I need (especially the waterproof, shockproof part :)
Called them up and they told me its GSM. Happy with Verizon (Red Pocket) and want to stay that way. Anyway to make this work?

Offline KidOOO

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: February 02, 2019, 10:29:04 PM »
Is there any easy / cheap way to unlock an iPhone 7 locked to simple mobile?

I bought online an unlock service from 2 websites so far, 1 was a complete scam one was a bait and switch demanding another $30 to unlock after I already paid