Author Topic: Amex SPG Questions  (Read 4195 times)

Offline LA2NYC

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Amex SPG Questions
« on: June 20, 2012, 05:24:06 PM »
I looked through the forums and could't find the answers to allll these questions, so please bear with me if you can help-thanks!

1) If I just received my Amex SPG, how should I create a Starwood account that would link up my card + allow me to churn theoretically down the line?

2) When adding AUers to the card, the app asks for the SS#.  If I would add my wife, would they do a credit check which would lead to a hard pull?

3) If I add my wife as an AU, would that prevent her from signing up for her own Amex SPG down the line?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 05:55:43 PM by LA2NYC »

Offline Red

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Amex SPG Questions
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 06:06:19 PM »
I looked through the forums and could't find the answers to allll these questions, so please bear with me if you can help-thanks!

1) If I just received my Amex SPG, how should I create a Starwood account that would link up my card + allow me to churn theoretically down the line?

2) When adding AUers to the card, the app asks for the SS#.  If I would add my wife, would they do a credit check which would lead to a hard pull?

3) If I add my wife as an AU, would that prevent her from signing up for her own Amex SPG down the line?

Thanks!

1) It was created for you automatically, send amex a SM and they'll tell you the account number.

2)No, if you want you can call to add her and when they ask for her SS# you can tell them you'll provide it later which you don't have to follow up on.

3)No.

Offline LA2NYC

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 06:36:45 PM »
I actually just called Amex and they said the application will take about 2 weeks to process without the SS#.  Will having it on file prevent future applications by her or cause any other issues?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 07:11:16 PM by LA2NYC »

Offline Red

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 05:05:28 PM »
I actually just called Amex and they said the application will take about 2 weeks to process without the SS#.  Will having it on file prevent future applications by her or cause any other issues?

Thanks!

It shouldn't.

Offline LA2NYC

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2012, 10:45:26 PM »
It shouldn't.

Meaning she won't get hit with a credit pull nor be prevented from her own Amex SPG?

Offline Fan of Dan

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2012, 12:32:25 AM »
Meaning she won't get hit with a credit pull nor be prevented from her own Amex SPG?
correct

Offline LA2NYC

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2012, 02:28:32 AM »
Thank you!

Offline rots5

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
    • Custom Cakes for Every Occassion
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2012, 01:57:31 AM »
my first yr is up on my spg card, do i call them up and say i would like to shut down - hoping they give me some compensation to stay? or do i shut it down and resign up in a few weeks? thanks so much for the help in advance
If you have any questions please search and then ask. PM me for detailed help.

Offline Centurion

• View Profile
  • Programs: spg plat,avis pres ,hertz plat ,AAexcutime, delta plat,hilton gold, united
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2012, 03:07:14 PM »
i waited.. then i "reffered" my wife for her own card (2006) and after she got her card we both got bonuses ( i think 15k each)
you can only make a first impression ONCE

Offline adam0619

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2012, 04:12:31 PM »
Hi --
My wife and I are planning on going to Hawaii in August for our honeymoon, and I just signed up for the Amex SPG card (should get it in a day or two).  Is there anyway I'll be able to use the 10k sign up bonus for my planned trip next month, or will I need to wait a while to use it?

What if I put the $5k (to get the additional 25k points) on the card in the next week or two?

Thanks!

Offline Centurion

• View Profile
  • Programs: spg plat,avis pres ,hertz plat ,AAexcutime, delta plat,hilton gold, united
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2012, 04:15:00 PM »
i didnt get my points for almost 60 days after i opened.. good luck
you can only make a first impression ONCE

Offline adam0619

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2012, 10:40:39 PM »
Hi --
My wife and I are planning on going to Hawaii in August for our honeymoon, and I just signed up for the Amex SPG card (should get it in a day or two).  Is there anyway I'll be able to use the 10k sign up bonus for my planned trip next month, or will I need to wait a while to use it?

What if I put the $5k (to get the additional 25k points) on the card in the next week or two?

Thanks!

**Update**

I got my new Amex SPG card today and called the Sheraton Maui to place a reservation.  I spoke with Tets, the General Manager, and he was super helpful, found me great rates, and offered to book my rooms on the other islands if I wanted.  Since I knew what I wanted to do already (and which Starwood hotels I wanted to stay at), I agreed.  He ended up finding me even cheaper rates than I found myself, and I spent a good number of hours comparing hotel rates with different offers (SPG 35, SPG50P, 3rd night free, AAA.  And then he said, "And, as a wedding gift from me to you" (I had told him we were going on our honeymoon, natch), "I've just upgraded you to SPG Gold status until Feb. 28, 2014." 

Wow.  I wasn't expecting that.  I literally received my card TODAY, had spent $0 with it (and have a total of 2,864 SPG points to date before I got the amex SPG card), and now I have Gold status.  Which means I'll be earning 5 points for every dollar I spend on this trip.  In addition to the 25K signup bonus.

Now THAT'S fast earning!  I DEFINITELY found my new favorite credit card!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 10:47:46 PM by adam0619 »

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Amex SPG Questions
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2012, 10:58:11 PM »
**Update**

I got my new Amex SPG card today and called the Sheraton Maui to place a reservation.  I spoke with Tets, the General Manager, and he was super helpful, found me great rates, and offered to book my rooms on the other islands if I wanted.  Since I knew what I wanted to do already (and which Starwood hotels I wanted to stay at), I agreed.  He ended up finding me even cheaper rates than I found myself, and I spent a good number of hours comparing hotel rates with different offers (SPG 35, SPG50P, 3rd night free, AAA.  And then he said, "And, as a wedding gift from me to you" (I had told him we were going on our honeymoon, natch), "I've just upgraded you to SPG Gold status until Feb. 28, 2014." 

Wow.  I wasn't expecting that.  I literally received my card TODAY, had spent $0 with it (and have a total of 2,864 SPG points to date before I got the amex SPG card), and now I have Gold status.  Which means I'll be earning 5 points for every dollar I spend on this trip.  In addition to the 25K signup bonus.

Congratulations!
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline rots5

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
    • Custom Cakes for Every Occassion
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2012, 04:06:27 PM »
**Update**

thats amazing buddy! good for u!! kol hakavod ... have a great trip!
If you have any questions please search and then ask. PM me for detailed help.

Offline KidOOO

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2012, 11:28:38 AM »
1) It was created for you automatically, send amex a SM and they'll tell you the account number.

What i already have SPG account is there anyway of merging the old one with the new one amex created?

Offline creditor

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Amex SPG Questions
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2012, 02:02:40 PM »
What i already have SPG account is there anyway of merging the old one with the new one amex created?
you should be able to. especially if its on the same address
I'm just say'in©®

Offline JEWDA

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 75
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Dansdeals PRESIDENTIAL Platinum Elite, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, Avis Presidents Club, King Fisher Silver, Hertz #1 Club President Circle Gold, SIXT Platinum, PC Platinum Elite
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2012, 02:36:09 PM »
https://www.starwoodhotels.com/preferredguest/account/combine_accounts/index.html
Your Ad Can Be Here! PM For Lowest Rates.

Offline dealvr

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA ExPlat, Qantas Gold, Hyatt Diamond
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2012, 02:46:31 PM »
Is there any benefit in buying a watch on the SPG or Plat in terms of added warrantee protection?
Hey there! I am using WhatsApp.

Offline milechazzer

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2012, 03:47:02 PM »

Offline Yeki89

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2012, 04:15:34 PM »
my sister signed up on her own  last week. Is there anyway amex can give me the "referral?"