Author Topic: dental school  (Read 21264 times)

Offline bb1836

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 154
    • View Profile
Re: dental school
« Reply #80 on: December 16, 2014, 10:10:28 PM »
I just used his books and did Chad. I love Chad. It's a lot cheaper too. I know lots of people that used him and were happy but don't think for a second that its a absolute necessity.

Additionally I still recommend downloading a few prep apps. Taking his course is good but you still need mock exams.
where do i get me some of those?
As @davidmal says: "Likes" feed the family

Offline Mocha

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 16, 2014, 10:19:43 PM »
where do i get me some of those?
datqvault (really liked that one)
crack the dat is another (if I'm not confusing this with another this one just made me depressed)
achiever was another good one.

Offline mek

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 16, 2014, 10:21:19 PM »
I just used his books and did Chad. I love Chad. It's a lot cheaper too. I know lots of people that used him and were happy but don't think for a second that its a absolute necessity.

Additionally I still recommend downloading a few prep apps. Taking his course is good but you still need mock exams.

+1 his books are though. As far as apps go the only thing I would suggest is crack the PAT (not DAT). If you are doing Romano and crack the PAT anything else is overkill imo.

Offline bb1836

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 16, 2014, 10:50:29 PM »
gosh im so nervous!!!

Offline Mocha

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 16, 2014, 10:59:55 PM »
gosh im so nervous!!!
I remember the feeling lol. You'll do fine. And although you're gonna ace it the first time, your early in case you want to retake it.

Offline bb1836

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 16, 2014, 11:01:42 PM »
I remember the feeling lol. You'll do fine. And although you're gonna ace it the first time, your early in case you want to retake it.
love your enthusiasm!!! hope ur right

Offline mek

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 17, 2014, 01:07:46 AM »

Starting DAT prep course this summer with Romano. Any tips from ya'll?

iirc the class goes into August, unless you mean the spring class. But remember that applications open in June and get sent out on a weekly basis meaning if you take it in August and then apply for the following year you will be like 14th batch or wtvr so that even if you ace the exam you will be facing even steeper competition. Do you have an idea of when you would want to take the test?

Offline ushdadude

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 17, 2014, 01:10:55 AM »
iirc the class goes into August, unless you mean the spring class. But remember that applications open in June and get sent out on a weekly basis meaning if you take it in August and then apply for the following year you will be like 14th batch or wtvr so that even if you ace the exam you will be facing even steeper competition. Do you have an idea of when you would want to take the test?

I took it in august. I sent in my complete application beforehand and just sent the scores in. I had 13 interviews scheduled but stopped after 6 acceptances so I don't know if it hurt too much :) (this was a few years ago so I don't know how much more competitive it got)

Offline mek

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 17, 2014, 01:17:19 AM »
I took it in august. I sent in my complete application beforehand and just sent the scores in. I had 13 interviews scheduled but stopped after 6 acceptances so I don't know if it hurt too much :) (this was a few years ago so I don't know how much more competitive it got)

Well I'm sure those 30's on multiple sections didnt hurt :) but from what I understand they dont send out the application to the school without the scores and even if they do I dont think any school would even give you a glance. That being said I think there is more competition now. I was speaking to a professor on the admissions at my school and he said this past year both GPA and DAT scores were off the charts. Lots of people were coming in with >3.8 and like 24 and 25 and higher scores not just a few as in past years

Offline ushdadude

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 17, 2014, 04:00:23 AM »
Well I'm sure those 30's on multiple sections didnt hurt :) but from what I understand they dont send out the application to the school without the scores and even if they do I dont think any school would even give you a glance. That being said I think there is more competition now. I was speaking to a professor on the admissions at my school and he said this past year both GPA and DAT scores were off the charts. Lots of people were coming in with >3.8 and like 24 and 25 and higher scores not just a few as in past years

Lol- I actually only had a 21 overall and got a 16 on math. Did have a good GPA though. I don't remember if they sent it to the schools and then I sent the scores separately or if they waited to send it. I'm pretty sure it was the former. I know people who got better scores and had better GPAs who barely interviewed so I don't know how it works. I think the key is to get a good enough score so they don't throw your application out right away and to have a catchy first paragraph on your PS so they want to continue reading. Once you get the interview, you have to wow them.

I started school in 2008. I was one of 1500 applicants to Stony Brook. Not sure what it is now though.

Offline mek

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: December 17, 2014, 10:32:09 AM »
Lol- I actually only had a 21 overall and got a 16 on math. Did have a good GPA though. I don't remember if they sent it to the schools and then I sent the scores separately or if they waited to send it. I'm pretty sure it was the former. I know people who got better scores and had better GPAs who barely interviewed so I don't know how it works. I think the key is to get a good enough score so they don't throw your application out right away and to have a catchy first paragraph on your PS so they want to continue reading. Once you get the interview, you have to wow them.

I started school in 2008. I was one of 1500 applicants to Stony Brook. Not sure what it is now though.

Agreed. The stats for scores, gpa, and overall enrollment (not by school) can be found here. http://www.adea.org/publications-and-data/data-analysis-and-research/applicants-enrollees-and-graduates.aspx  in general the DAT scores have gone up very slightly over the years but the GPA has moved significantly. This guy also put together a whole guide including all the stats and what percent are interviewed/accepted e.t.c http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/2013-guide-mini-guide-to-dental-school-admission.942453/

Offline ushdadude

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 17, 2014, 11:07:22 AM »
Agreed. The stats for scores, gpa, and overall enrollment (not by school) can be found here. http://www.adea.org/publications-and-data/data-analysis-and-research/applicants-enrollees-and-graduates.aspx  in general the DAT scores have gone up very slightly over the years but the GPA has moved significantly. This guy also put together a whole guide including all the stats and what percent are interviewed/accepted e.t.c http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/2013-guide-mini-guide-to-dental-school-admission.942453/

Nice resource. In general though, I tell people to stay off SDN because it can drive you crazy. Too many high-strung, overly-competitive pre-docs

Offline mek

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 17, 2014, 12:38:24 PM »
Nice resource. In general though, I tell people to stay off SDN because it can drive you crazy. Too many high-strung, overly-competitive pre-docs

haha very true. This guy seemed to know what hes talking about though and I remembered him from back when I was applying so I dug it up

Offline Mocha

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 17, 2014, 07:27:46 PM »
Thats like telling a deal hunter to stay off DD lol

Stony brook is very different with acceptances nowadays. My D3 friend in Rutgers with a 24, and my current classmate with a 25 AA and 28 Bio didn't hear a peep from SB. (nor did I with my 21)

Offline bb1836

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 18, 2014, 12:19:30 AM »
a few of my friends just got into maryland which is what I'm hoping for also. they told me that as long as i maintain >3.5 GPA and a 20+ on DAT i should be in good hands. assuming i have good PS and interview....

Offline ushdadude

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 18, 2014, 06:39:26 AM »
a few of my friends just got into maryland which is what I'm hoping for also. they told me that as long as i maintain >3.5 GPA and a 20+ on DAT i should be in good hands. assuming i have good PS and interview....

...and go to ner yisroel  :P

Offline bb1836

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 18, 2014, 09:01:09 AM »
...and go to ner yisroel  :P
That's me!

Offline Mocha

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 18, 2014, 11:30:29 AM »
i agree with your friends, though the system is funny and nothing is definitive.

Offline mek

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 18, 2014, 12:11:02 PM »
a few of my friends just got into maryland which is what I'm hoping for also. they told me that as long as i maintain >3.5 GPA and a 22+ on DAT i should be in good hands. assuming i have good PS and interview....

ftfy. A 20 should be considered the bare minimum needed (though 16 on math and 18 on pat can squeak you by) especially because you're jewish and coming with a yeshiva degree. But the bottom line is

the system is funny and nothing is definitive.

If Maryland is your top choice I would suggest becoming a resident there if you are not already

Offline bb1836

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 01, 2016, 06:57:07 PM »
does anybody know some differences between Arizona School of Dentistry and Oral Health and Midwestern University College of Dental Medicine? both about 30 min out of Phoenix i opposite directions....any info would be appreciated. TIA