Author Topic: US Airways Audit  (Read 4374 times)

Offline john

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United 1K
US Airways Audit
« on: June 21, 2012, 12:15:05 PM »
Got following e-mail from US Airways.

We’re conducting an audit of your account

From time to time, we audit Dividend Miles accounts for ineligible mileage credit. If found, we have the right to deduct ineligible miles and cancel award tickets and upgrades issued on ineligible credit.

We’re currently conducting an audit of your account. During the audit, your account access will be limited and we may suspend mileage accrual until we can verify eligibility of the mileage credit.

As a member, you’re responsible for understanding and complying with all Dividend Miles terms and conditions. If you're unfamiliar with our program rules, please read the membership guide.

Thanks for choosing US Airways.

Any experiences around this audit? I can think of following things, that may have caused it.
1. 5 months back I had booked 2 award tickets for family with USA in coach using US Air miles on United metal. that time United was very fragile with all merger. so rep was not able to do it, in spite of seeing it. so she did it manually and never deducted 50K miles from account. I only paid TAx portion of it.
2. My business travel team have in past booked me on several connecting flights on United/US Airways, where second leg is useless and I have to get down on first itself. so essencially it is direct flight for me, but as they book as connection to some where, that I dont have to go, they are getting some sort of deal.
3. I have applied US Air master card 2 times and gave my same frequent flier number both times and got bonus miles for it twice.

Any of above could be reason? Any experience? Any possible outcome on it? How long does it take? How to counter issues, if they raise any.

Offline chuchem

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: US Airways Audit
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 12:18:52 PM »
2. My business travel team have in past booked me on several connecting flights on United/US Airways, where second leg is useless and I have to get down on first itself. so essencially it is direct flight for me, but as they book as connection to some where, that I dont have to go, they are getting some sort of deal.

On FT people that do this often had the same happening to them, so best of luck

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 12:27:16 PM »
On FT people that do this often had the same happening to them, so best of luck
and it was recently.

״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline john

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 12:47:18 PM »
Mine happens mostly every week. so it definitely is recent and always recent. also have several flight booked in coming weeks like that to take connections, but it is actually direct for me. but I get credited only miles for leg I take and dont get any credit for ones I discard. What is problem with it? Have I got extra miles they can take away from me? My account has over 500K miles right now and I am US airways Chairman. can they take away all my miles? my status? What are outcome of such audit? how have people tackled it, who have gone thru it? what questions come to them? any experiences that any one can share for such audit will be greatly beneficial.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2012, 01:22:15 PM »
They can take every miles & status you have.
Flying only part of a ticket is against the airline T&C. Hope that u will get 'fined' less than the whole acct, but ymmv. This crackdown is recent so look on the FT thread what's going on.
If you can use your miles for flights really fast, use it. Fly them, don't book tickets, that will be worst.

For future tickets don't give your account # if you're getting off in middle
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 01:55:53 PM »
You're exploiting what the industry calls "hidden city" ticketing, which is technically against most airline T&C.

Virtually all airline contracts of carriage specifically prohibit use of hidden-city tickets and throw-away round-trips. The standard airline spiel goes, "When we sell you a ticket for a complete trip and you fail to complete part of it, you're violating your contract with us." Consumer advocates counter by noting, "That's like buying a meal package and having MacDonald's try to charge extra because you didn't eat the fries."

If you violate a contract, an airline can theoretically bill you for the trip you actually took, cancel any additional tickets you have, and even nuke your frequent flyer account. As a practical matter, I haven't seen any such actions by airlines recently, although I remember some airline actions against a traveler whose use of hidden city was "flagrant." Travel agencies, however, have sometime been billed for the fare difference, so I suggest that unless an agent suggests a hidden city ticket, you not ask any agent to break the rules in that way.

Also, your first option is also a possible flag.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline john

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2012, 03:40:18 PM »
So far 1 segment , that flight miles and bonus miles deducted from account, that was taken 3 days back on US Airways. it was that type of "hidden city" flight. however 1 taken after that similar "hidden city" has not been deducted yet that was on United metal.  no other things happened yet to account for previous flights or anything yet. also no official communication or e-mail on this action taken by them to deduct these miles. they just took it away. I still have close to 500K miles and my status of chairman. so as suggested by some here that they can empty my account or take my status, it has not happened till now. however action started this morning, so it is just few hours, that has gone by. still premature that this is final outcome. no impact other than above mentioned. also no warning or anything from them that I should not be doing this type of hidden city activity..

Shall I keep quite and let it go or it is wise for me to go and call them ask about whats going on here to my segments and miles? Any suggestions?

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2012, 03:57:25 PM »
Calling won't help. If they hit u hard write official letters, and perhaps hire a lawyer.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2012, 04:05:51 PM »
Personally, I'd call to find out what's going on.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline SuperFlyer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2012, 05:12:05 PM »
Personally, I'd call to find out what's going on.

I have a better variation of this, pm me* if interested.

*john that is

Offline john

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2012, 12:06:35 PM »
I wanted to update all on this audit from US Air and have follow up question.
They had deducted 1 flight and miles and bonus associated from my account overall costing me close to 4K miles (including bous miles). 2K PQM and 1 PQS. I didnt call them. I didnt ask them why they deducted it. I sat quietly and let it go.

After 1 month or so, I requested missing miles for that particular segement thru internet (didnt even call now). They came back saying, that ticket was canceled as I failed to make connection flight. I replied, I didnt take connection, but did take first one and I am requesting credit for that. Credit has appeared on my account. no damage done.

Now my question :: I have taken few more "hidden city" flights after that and I continue to take them, as my company wants me to not put FF number (if I wish, so that they cannot then track it) but take those fligths due to financial consideration. I am continuing to put my FF number and waiting to see, if they do anything again.

So far for 1 month, I have at least taken 2-3 flights like that. nothing again from them. Any suggestion, shall I continue like it? Shall i put FF number there?

Offline Drago

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2012, 12:54:12 PM »
Why not create a new ff#, and if n/t happens, merge the accounts a year or two down the line.

Offline YOSEF

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2012, 01:17:51 PM »
Why not create a new ff#, and if n/t happens, merge the accounts a year or two down the line.
Status

Offline PlatinumGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2012, 01:22:29 PM »
Start using your miles

Offline Drago

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2012, 01:40:23 PM »
Status

Better than not using any # at all