Author Topic: Trip Planning And Trip Report: Shanghai, Beijing, Macau, Hong Kong, Istanbul  (Read 21409 times)

Offline Smirk

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: trip report Shanghai, Beijing, Macau, Hong Kong, Istanbul
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2010, 10:40:59 PM »
two thumbs up!

Offline SuperFlyer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2010, 12:55:36 AM »
We can learn two lessons here:

1) "Super was again amazing"

2) BMI G is a must have

Tnx, very nice trip report.

Offline E

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2010, 01:22:15 AM »
wow great stuff I'm personally more adventurous, but i don't travel with a wife. I like your constant food reviews !

Offline Crazy tools

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Club, Avis Presidents, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Executive Elite, SPG Gold
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2010, 01:40:05 AM »
you did all the flights in miles?? how many miles did it take??

Offline SuperFlyer

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2010, 01:49:38 AM »
If done the right way, and as damaxer was involved I'd say 100k pp.  ;-)

Offline chuchem

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2010, 03:23:15 AM »
We can learn two lessons here:

1) "Super was again amazing"

2) BMI G is a must have

Tnx, very nice trip report.

How can we learn, that super is amazing? ;-)

The * gold is a nice card to have, if you travel business or first it only gives you the benefit of extra luggage. I have it for 3 years already and for eco. travel its great

Offline chuchem

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2010, 03:26:12 AM »
for Beijing tours I used these guys, they were very good and the cheapest by far: http://sinohotelguide.com/travel/index.php

just know if you do there small bus tours with others that lunch is included OK for us a glass of coke. And they stop off at some Ripp-Off factories where theer were nice things to learn just DONT BUY anything its all over priced. Unfortuantely its a waste of some good time but I guess thats why they can offer teh tours for so little hoping people will buy stuff and they get their % cut

I know there are cheaper tours, but lily was an amazing guide. I didnt want to waste the little time we had there and wanted to see the things that interest me in my own pace. We saved a few hours by not visiting factories or having lunch in a restaurant. At the end its about 55 Dollars for the day with her, how much would I have saved by going with a tour? in my opinion not worth it

Offline damaxer91

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2010, 03:29:48 AM »
If done the right way, and as damaxer was involved I'd say 100k pp.  ;-)

Yup. Only 100k US Airways Miles!

Offline chuchem

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2010, 03:30:01 AM »
If done the right way, and as damaxer was involved I'd say 100k pp.  ;-)

Damaxer knows a lot about all these places, since he has been there a few times and was a great help for info on the destinations. The flightplans I booked myself with ana's websites help.  I booked it for 100k in F. Really cant complain!

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2010, 10:09:36 AM »
Damaxer knows a lot about all these places, since he has been there a few times and was a great help for info on the destinations. The flightplans I booked myself with ana's websites help.  I booked it for 100k in F. Really cant complain!

seems you booked a ZRH-PEK with a layover in PVG of <24 hrs , then PEK-ZRH with a Stop in HKG and routing via IST again gave you a layover of <24 hrs

also I think starting in the US would cost a person more than 100K

Offline SuperFlyer

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2010, 11:16:39 AM »
How do we know "Super was again amazing
"?
Check your trip report, its written beferush.  ;-)

Offline BrooklynCPA

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2010, 02:18:24 PM »
GREAT TRIP REPORT!!! This is waht this place is all about, you take and you give!!!! Chuchem, I will be sure to call upon you whenever it is that I do to the Far East.

Offline mordys

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2010, 04:34:53 PM »
Thank you for taking the time to write this up.

Offline chuchem

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2010, 05:51:59 PM »
GREAT TRIP REPORT!!! This is waht this place is all about, you take and you give!!!! Chuchem, I will be sure to call upon you whenever it is that I do to the Far East.

Thanks, no problem you can ask any day.
People ask so many questions here and expect help, but no one wants to give back. Look at the Bahamas deal, that so many took advantage of. 100s of questions were asked, most of them were answered already, but people didnt bother reading through. Dan asked for tripreports from people that went, how many were there? Its a little sad.

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2010, 06:26:07 PM »
Thanks, no problem you can ask any day.
People ask so many questions here and expect help, but no one wants to give back. Look at the Bahamas deal, that so many took advantage of. 100s of questions were asked, most of them were answered already, but people didnt bother reading through. Dan asked for tripreports from people that went, how many were there? Its a little sad.

Although I agree with You, I think part of it at least with the Bahamas deal was no Bragging was able to be done = no one flew Biz or 1st no one stayed at a 5* Hotel = nothing to Brag about . Also it was known no Food to be had

With Asia well there are Shuls and restaurants, I would hope even if you flew in Coach that U would have still made a report but Asia or even Europe is way different then say the Bahamas or Cancun its sort of like flying say to Oslo and staying in Olso. Or flying to Buffalo and staying in Buffalo. When I went to PEK 3 or 4 yrs ago I relied on FT posts to figure out how to get around and alot of web searches.

So if a person will be hitting Miami and staying at a Motel6 dont expect areport as theres nothing to Brag about, however if that same person stayed at a Hyatt or Famous SB Hotel for free you bet theyd be bragging all about it.

I can point you to a few Blogs where the blogger writes up his report and hit the top places but they arent doing it from a Bragging view pt but in order to show others what is possible if they learn how to navigate the World of Miles & Points, I personally dont feel the reports Ive read here on DD are being done from that same view pt but rather in order to Brag. And yes Ive had a friend read the others and a few on DD and he came to the same conclusion. He said it seems the people are more interested in having everyone know they flew in FC or Biz and stayed at 5 or 6* hotels, while the other sites were anything but
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 06:28:11 PM by steve2 »

Offline moish

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2010, 06:53:54 PM »
i dont read trip reports from other sites and i learned a lot of info from the tr's here

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2010, 07:02:39 PM »
i dont read trip reports from other sites and i learned a lot of info from the tr's here

Ive also picked up a few things from the reports on DD. I dont think youd find much on any other site dealing with Minyans or Shabbos or Mikvahs or Kosher restaurants etc. But those same reports could have been written without the Givah that they were written with, as I find most of the reports on the other sites to be written with alot less if any Givah at all.

No one I find on the other sites are trying to say LOOK AT ME which UNFORTUNATELY I dont find to be the case with the DD reports

Offline eliteflyer

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2010, 12:57:02 AM »
Chuchem, Great job on the report!

I traveled to Shanghai last year....have you had any of the pearls you purchased appraised?

I purchased pearls for the Mrs. with the help of a fellow I met at Chabad and he got me tremendous deals at the Pearl market near the other Chabad (you were closer to the  Pudong area it seems during your short visit)

Perhaps I shall see you in Zurich in a few weeks!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 01:02:10 AM by eliteflyer »

Offline chuchem

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2010, 04:07:18 AM »
Although I agree with You, I think part of it at least with the Bahamas deal was no Bragging was able to be done = no one flew Biz or 1st no one stayed at a 5* Hotel = nothing to Brag about . Also it was known no Food to be had

With Asia well there are Shuls and restaurants, I would hope even if you flew in Coach that U would have still made a report but Asia or even Europe is way different then say the Bahamas or Cancun its sort of like flying say to Oslo and staying in Olso. Or flying to Buffalo and staying in Buffalo. When I went to PEK 3 or 4 yrs ago I relied on FT posts to figure out how to get around and alot of web searches.

So if a person will be hitting Miami and staying at a Motel6 dont expect areport as theres nothing to Brag about, however if that same person stayed at a Hyatt or Famous SB Hotel for free you bet theyd be bragging all about it.

I can point you to a few Blogs where the blogger writes up his report and hit the top places but they arent doing it from a Bragging view pt but in order to show others what is possible if they learn how to navigate the World of Miles & Points, I personally dont feel the reports Ive read here on DD are being done from that same view pt but rather in order to Brag. And yes Ive had a friend read the others and a few on DD and he came to the same conclusion. He said it seems the people are more interested in having everyone know they flew in FC or Biz and stayed at 5 or 6* hotels, while the other sites were anything but

Hi Steve

1) I think it would still have been nice, especially for the first people to go, to write about their experience. Even if its not a nice hotel, one can still get a lot of info. room, transportation, area.....

2) I think your claim, that a lot of people put up a tripreport only to brag is wrong and you are being a kofer toiv. Most people dont even know eachother on this website. Why would I spend a good few hours writing a report, to brag to someone, that does not know me and I dont know them. I did it, so others can gain from it when they want to go. It might help someone in a year from now. I did it to help, since I got the help as well. Unfortunatly there are people on this site, b''h only a few that are very critical of everything and also quite rude. I didnt say you are one of them, I am not getting personal, but I dont think your comment and to throw everyone in one bowl isnt very nice.If its in a motel 6 you are not interested and if its in a nice hotel its braging?! Personaly, I am enjoy reading about peoples vacation experience and the nicer it is the more interesting it is. I guess its also a question of "verginen" (jidish)

Well I am going to the airport now to meet dan and help him with his luggage and train ticket. I dont want to brag, that I have a car, so I will just write that I am walking to the airport ;-)

« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 04:11:45 AM by chuchem »

Offline chuchem

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2010, 04:08:45 AM »
Chuchem, Great job on the report!

I traveled to Shanghai last year....have you had any of the pearls you purchased appraised?

I purchased pearls for the Mrs. with the help of a fellow I met at Chabad and he got me tremendous deals at the Pearl market near the other Chabad (you were closer to the  Pudong area it seems during your short visit)

Perhaps I shall see you in Zurich in a few weeks!

No, i didnt get them appraised, my wife likes them, so who cares how much they would cost here
If you are in Zurich and need help, feel free to pm me