Author Topic: Trip Planning And Trip Report: Shanghai, Beijing, Macau, Hong Kong, Istanbul  (Read 21403 times)

Offline eliteflyer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: trip report Shanghai, Beijing, Macau, Hong Kong, Istanbul
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2010, 04:30:28 AM »
No, i didnt get them appraised, my wife likes them, so who cares how much they would cost here
If you are in Zurich and need help, feel free to pm me
I certainly will pm you!

Regarding the pearls, your point is absolutely correct that the main thing is "Does she like them?"
I found it very geshmak to go into a few reputable jewelerry stores in the states and ask them for something similar to them saying they were my mother's pearls. (cultured/fresh water, size, luster etc.) The lowest price, I found in the US was 5 times more than what I paid in China.

Offline steve2

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2010, 06:54:11 AM »
Hi Steve

1) I think it would still have been nice, especially for the first people to go, to write about their experience. Even if its not a nice hotel, one can still get a lot of info. room, transportation, area.....

2) I think your claim, that a lot of people put up a tripreport only to brag is wrong and you are being a kofer toiv. Most people dont even know eachother on this website. Why would I spend a good few hours writing a report, to brag to someone, that does not know me and I dont know them. I did it, so others can gain from it when they want to go. It might help someone in a year from now. I did it to help, since I got the help as well. Unfortunatly there are people on this site, b''h only a few that are very critical of everything and also quite rude. I didnt say you are one of them, I am not getting personal, but I dont think your comment and to throw everyone in one bowl isnt very nice.If its in a motel 6 you are not interested and if its in a nice hotel its braging?! Personaly, I am enjoy reading about peoples vacation experience and the nicer it is the more interesting it is. I guess its also a question of "verginen" (jidish)

Well I am going to the airport now to meet dan and help him with his luggage and train ticket. I dont want to brag, that I have a car, so I will just write that I am walking to the airport ;-)

1- a few did in fact post what they ran into in the Bahamas, and even how very little they found that had even an O/U etc and its best to bring your own food if possible. But is it necessary for 100 reports saying the samething? And again since most people flew coach and didnt stay in anything but a Motel 6 I wouldnt expect too much in the way of report. (even those other sites where Reports are found U will usually find they too werent flying in Coach).

2-as for Bragging Rights it makes no difference if a person is known or not. Nor was I attacking You, all I said and will say again is I feel that most reports I read on DD are where the person writing it,is writing from the prospective of saying LOOK at ME and what I did and got. while on other sites they too flew in Biz or FC and didnt have the Tone to their report of LOOK at ME. Maybe its all due to teh age of the person writing the report where those over lets say 40 are more Mature and those under are NOT.

Sort of like being in a Limo be it South Beach.Vegas or LA. All too often when its youngsters = under 30 they will be hanging out the windows , screaming , standing up thru the open moon roof etc etc and wanting everyone to see they are riding in a limo (yet they wont know a single person they are trying to get to look at them). While that same Limo the next night or day will have an older group of people in it who will do anything but what those others did and not be trying to get everyones attention.

I read the reports since its impossible for any 1 person to know it all, Im always hoping to pick up some new info I didnt know about or to throw out something I do know about and give the others a possible choice should they be in the same locale. From our side there are always new ownership in restaurants or new ones opening, new shuls etc etc, I would ahte to rely on some info I learnt a couple of yrs ago only to find out it doesnt exist any longer and found out the hard way by showing up

Offline Crazy tools

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Club, Avis Presidents, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Executive Elite, SPG Gold
« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2010, 10:04:10 AM »
steve2 if you wouldn't be so critical than YOU wouldn't read it in that tone of voice, your the one that's reading the report so you can also set the tone you read it in!!
chuchem great job nice report

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2010, 11:26:31 AM »
steve2 if you wouldn't be so critical than YOU wouldn't read it in that tone of voice, your the one that's reading the report so you can also set the tone you read it in!!
chuchem great job nice report

theres probably some truth to that as there is to what Ive said that a person can do something or say something w/o yelling LOOK at ME (not saying that is what chuchem did or meant to do).

eg a person can give a nice donation to say a Yeshiva and no one will ever know about it, or they can give that same donation and make sure everyone and their grandmother knows fully well that they gave and how much. Unfortunately todays generation more then yesterdays wants everyone to know about it and has an attitude that goes along with it, and yes there were those even in yesterdays gen that wanted everyone to know but a much lower % then todays

Now back to discussing Asia and I too like Kihilat Zion very much in Kowloon and theres plenty of Hotels that can be had for pts in the area, ICH= Intercontinental, or a Holiday Inn on Nathan Rd , the Sheraton, unfortunately the Renaissance has Closed up.No Hiltons in the area and from I believe moish told us theres a new Hyatt in that same area now as well. On HKI there are plenty of Hotels but the shuls are a long way up to the Mid Levels as Chabad no longer makes Shabbos at the Mandrain and there are1 or 2 non -chain Hotels up where the Jewish community is based on HKI. I heard theres suppose to be another Kollel somewhere near where the Airport Express train comes into in HKI but dont know much about it and I think its a much longer walk then staying in Kowloon
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 11:36:40 AM by steve2 »

Offline biztravel

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2010, 11:46:38 PM »
Nice report . Well detailed. Sounds like you had an awesome trip.

Offline ash

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2010, 03:09:03 AM »
nice report ................. in istanbul i think the reason the shliach has is, that he wants to keep a very  low profile